off topic - another (un) health update

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Highlight of visiting my sister is a trip to Shoe Station!(discount)in florida. My knockaround winter shoes are leather Dexters from there, about four -5 years old now so just between ultra comfortable and homeless=style. There's a Bass store in Arundel Mills, betw Balt and Wash- maybe they'd be in another Mills place too. Not just shoes, saw a nice leather bag I was tempted by too., casual clothes. Had a pr of Nine West I really liked long time ago too. Liking my walmart clogs from last fall.

Every new pair of casual shoes has a golden age during which I swear NOT to wear them diggging in the garden! but the day always comes that I can't be bothered to change....

Not working now so I don't have to look good-ha ha. I try not to be the mom going in the school office in my sweats either! almost Always have earrings, and hair OK since got a stylist who cuts it great and easy. Mascara and maybe lip stuff, but have never been a daily lipstick person so I always feel like the color's wrong.........

Crozet, VA

Mornin' Sally - I love pocketbooks. Man, if I were to count how many I have owned over the years, it would be a high number, I am sure. I used to buy a lot of shoes. Two summers ago when finances were not an issue, I must have bought 20 or so pair of sandles, flip flops. Most are hardly worn. I have been carrying them around in the back of my car for about a month now. These will be donated to SPCA Thrift Store. I might spend some time next week getting together a car load to take there.

Sally, or anyone else.......anyone know of a good mascara? I have had a difficult time finding something that works well. I have very sensitive eyes, I might add. I don't have much in the eye lash category and it really is ironic that both of my sons have long luscious eye lashes. ha-ha

Well folks.....TGIF. I hope that everyone will have a good weekend. I am going to try.

Ruby

I would like one decent leather bag with a long strap, not too big or small and not divided down the middle inside, making each side too cramped. Is that asking too much? Oh, and I don't want to pay $100. I have seen Fossil bags that I loved but wanted to wait for a sale, and passed them by.
Can't ask me for mascara expertise LOL. I think my lashes have gotten skimpier, guess that's normal. My friend used to like Almay because of her sensitive skin, so I buy that.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Love the Fossil. I know exactly what you mean about the price. You must have missed the Hecht's going out of business sale(s).

yes I did......aaaggggghhhhhh perfect oppty missed

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ruby, a lot of people swear by the Mirenesse mascara they sell on either HSN or QVC. It coats the eyelashes with tubes you can just slide off at the end of the day, no raccoon eyes and no sensitivity problems apparently. There's another mascara that does the same thing not sold on the shopping channels. I'll have to see if I can find the name.

I just have to have my organizer purses. They have a large zip pocket on the front that is essentially a wallet with umpteen dividers for credit cards, etc. and a place for your money. So much easier than carrying a heavy wallet and digging for your driver's license and so on.

Hechts went out of business!? You can see how long I've been living in the hinterlands.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

The Hechts chain was bought by Macys about a year ago. Some of the old stores were closed but the two near me (Annapolis and Bowie) had been turned into Macys by last fall.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

First Woodies and now Hechts. Darn. But that shows you how long it's been since I shopped at Hechts.

Crozet, VA

I've got you beat Hart, I have NEVER shopped at Hechts. ha-ha

My mother and I used to shop in Richmond when I was a kid. I now understand why we drove so far. Our area just doesn't offer some of things that other parts of the state have. Daggone it!! And....thank God for The Internet where a person can go and shop. Love it, love it.

My current pocket book is a soft purple, leather, long strapped hobo bag. I see so many cool pocket books but won't pay big prices for them. I feel the same way about earrings. It has never failed that if I spend over $5 for a pair of earrings, I will either lose or break one of them. My favorites are sold for a dollar. haha

I hope that you all will have a good weekend. Take good care everyone.

Ruby

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

The other 'tube' mascara is Blinc Kiss Me. The tubes come off with lots of water and that's it! I like it because you don't have to use a eye makeup remover and pull on the eye area.

Crozet, VA

Hmmmm....you all have my interest now. Tube Mascara - will need to do a google. Never heard of it. Where have I been? ha-ha

Will check it out and let you know what I think. Thanks blue and hart. So glad to have this new info.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's it, Blue. Thanks. I haven't tried it but everyone I know who has sensitive eyes swears by these two mascaras. I would love that they don't smear and flake. I always manage to get raccoon eyes.

Richmond lost the big Miller and Rhoads and Thalhimers downtown years ago, although I think M&R still has stores in the shopping centers. What great old department stores they were.

What the heck is the name of the old neighborhood in Alexandria where we used to shop when I was a kid. Starts with a C. It had a Hechts and Penneys and we always had lunch at the White Tower. All of those stores have been gone for years.

Crozet, VA

Yep Hart, you are talking of the stores that we visited in downtown Richmond. We would go downtown and then stop at Willow Lawn Shopping Center on the way home. Good old days.

I cannot remember ever going to Alexandria to shop, so can't answer that question.

Speaking of shopping, I am in the market for a flat screen tv. Have been looking, and it looks as though Walmart is going to have the best prices. I might have to shop online and have it shipped to store and pick up there. Won't be too bad, I hope. Oh, and speaking of TV's - we are a Nielson Family this week. We are recording in three diaries all of our tv watching habits. Funny huh? They called a few weeks ago and asked if we would do it. We said, Why not?

So, if some of your favorite shows get cancelled, blame it on us. ha-ha

Have a good Sunday folks.

Ruby

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Ruby- I don't watch a lot of TV so whatever you get canceled is Ok by me. I did a Nielson survey once. It was online, although they telephoned to get me to participate. It was mainly on online purchasing and which search engines did I use. I think I replied Google to half the answers!

Have fun with your new TV.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ruby, I know the men in your family will bulk at this but, Put down Ugly Betty, Grays Anatomy, and Men in Trees. I log off the internet just to watch these.

Chris

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another Ugly Betty junky here. LOL Chris, have you watched The Real Housewives of Orange County? It's addictive. Most dysfunctional bunch of women I've ever seen in my life. I'm also fascinated in a staring at a cobra kind of way with their aging California Girl looks - dried out long hair bleached to within an inch of its life, faces lifted and botoxed to stone and monster faux boobs falling out of lowcut tank tops.

Ruby, have you tried Costco? Or Amazon? I've gotten terrific prices on electronics at Crutchfield but I don't know if they carry TVs. I imagine they do. They're online and they have a store in Harrisonburg.

There's some Crutchfield coupons here (scroll down.) Oh, and they usually have free or very cheap shipping.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Continuing from above, I just realized I have an email from Costco that has several TVs in it. Here's what's there:

Visio 42" LCD HDTV $1,199.00
Phillips 47" LCD HDTV $1.799.99 after $500 off
Sharp AQUOS 46" LCD HDTV $2,299.99
Sceptre 32" LCD HDTV $599.99 after $200 off

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Just a reminder - DG is going up to $25 on 2/15 so resub now for $15!

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby- My DH tells me that plasma TVs have a little better image quality and are a little less $$$ than LCD TVs. On the other hand, an LCD uses less power and runs cooler. Both flat screen types run cooler than conventional TVs.

Haven't caught that show yet The Real Housewives of Orange County. Must be someting else on that I watch. I usually watch the CSIs shows.

Bluek... I reupped about 2 weeks ago, I'm good till 2008 Don't know what I'd do without DG.

Greenk... I'll keep my warm TV it is only 16º outside any extra warmth is a plus. LOL

Crozet, VA

All of you ladies are so cute!!!! You have me laughing at all you input. Truth is, when my survey goes in, it will be filled with all comedies. Most are re-runs from the 80's. When my boys were younger, I gave up trying to watch TV for about a ten year period. Oh more than that. Going on about 15 years. It never failed that if I sat down to watch a show, I was interupted by one son or the other. I gave up.

I began watching tv again when Princess Di was killed and have been a baaaaaddddd junkie ever since. I am usually on the couch by either 3 or 4 each afternoon and have a line-up that I usually watch. Oxygen Channel has made some changes in that time slot that I don't like. I was able to find something to take the place of Roseann though. I now watch Scrubs. If a comedy that I have already seen is on, I change over to one of the crime investigation shows. The only current show that I can think of watching with any regularity is My Name is Earl. At 9 PM I switch over to Nick at Night and watch the twenty year old reruns of Full House. Fresh Prince of Belair and Roseanne.

Thanks for the info on TV's. I don't shop at Costco, but have looked at Sam's Club. There is a TV there that I might end up buying. I figure that I may as well buy at Walmart as Sam's because the same Walton will be getting richer whichever I choose. I will check out Crutchfield. We have a Crutchfield in Charlottesville too.

Chris - What is Men in Trees? ha-ha Never heard about that. Hart youdid some really accurate descriptions of the Orange County Housewives. I have only seen ads for the show, never watched it.

Ya'll are great. Greenkat and Bluekat - thank you both for the info.

Take care and have a week coming up.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ruby, if you're not watching Ugly Betty, you're missing the best show that's on tv right now. I don't know if it's too far along to jump in but be sure to watch for when they're showing repeats.

Men in Trees... New York City female writer goes to Alaska to get away from a broken relationship to clear her head and ends up staying in this small town Elmo Alaska. Very few woman and lots of men, everyone knows everybodies business, a cute show.

I love comedies too, like 2 1/2 Men, really don't know how they get away with some of the things they say on that show! Sometimes I watch the Discovery and History Chanels. and HGTV and Food network.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.