January's Daily Weather # III, It's different!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here we go again,
Sorry, I've been preoccupied with a sebaceous cyst in the middle of my chest. The weather here in Jacksonville is just beautiful. It was 64º coming home at 8:30.
62.8 °F / 17.1 °C
Clear
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h.
Really working hard on taxes. I've gotta get them done
Here's apattern I copied by photographing the TV screen with no flash. When I was where it's cold I sewed from November until the following March.
I am really looking for 775 hours by the end of September. I will have my sewing machine with me.
This Borgello pattern resembles a great sunset. I'm purchasing this lady's book.
Come by and post often and have a great New Year.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

Sugarweed, that's a very unique photo - love the colors...The weather there does look good. Hope you're feeling better, and, that you get the needed hours by Sept...
It's 8:30pm here, 20 F, dark and calm.
Kelli - wonderful tunnel photo - the mountains, too.
henry10 - I'm afraid to ask what became of the moose...that's quite a picture...personally, never tried the spitting trick, but bet my grandsons have :)
Sure does sound like a mess there in Missouri - keep well.
MySharona ; Prissy the squirrel chaser and loving it, I'm sure. Glad you liked DD and DSIL office...
Rann - it's birthday day, there ,- happy birthday Hildur Eva..
Front yard on a sunny day last Jan. Looks the same this Jan.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Hildur Eva!!!

Ric! How DID they get the moose out??

Saturday morning/early afternoon was beautiful and warm. It started raining later in the day and is still raining now. It is supposed to rain for most of the rest of the week. The temperatures are going to start dropping today - yesterday it was 75°, today (Sunday) it will get up into the 60s. Monday the highs are going to be in the upper 30's, with a chance of freezing rain and sleet. Yucky! Tuesday is it only going to get "up" into the lower 30's. If it's going to get that cold it might as well snow! LOL The only "s" word the forecast is mentioning so far is sleet, though. I would much rather drive in 3 feet of snow than in ice - and they don't know how to do either down here!

Currently (Dyson dark!)
Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:14am CST (3 min ago)
Temperature 46 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 44 °F 7 °C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.06 in 1018 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir NW 320°
Ceiling 600 ft 183 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Light Rain, Mist
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53pm CST : 50.0°F / 10.0°C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

it is dark here also & i'm too lazy to get up & turn on a light so i can't see the temp thingys will get back after sunup.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It's DARK here too, Dyson.
But here's a pic from this afternoon.

it's down to 19* out there right now. headed down to 9 they say,.
Just before sundown the desert looked like this.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Blooms that is a fantastic pic........... I'm gonna have to slow down and look around next time I'm transversing UT....... if I ever get that way again. Thinking about it 20 years ago I could not stay in one place, my feet always got an itch & I had to move on. but I have been here for most of the last 10 years, maybe the "wander lust" is gone or am I just getting too old and comfortable? I have one of your pics for my desktop on the puter (from awhile ago). I still have not figured out what the white thing on the bank of the lake is though.

Still to dark to see the temp thingys. It is warm in the house & there are only a few plants outside that are apparently "cold hardy" so as long as the wind does not howl all is well.

Ok light enough to see now - 57.3°(F) shed & porch

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 8:35 AM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Somebody post here - please let me know - I'm not alone.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - that's a neat picture. Hope you're feeling better.
Blooms - They've changed the forecast. Now we'll be at 79 on Monday, better than 80! That’s a beautiful picture of the desert.
Ric – Funny moose pic!
Rann – Happy Birthday Hildur Eva! Have fun!! :D

Not dark or cold. We’re at 62 and the high is 77 at the beaches & 79 inand.

Today...Partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at Times early in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

This was flying over the house yesterday morning. It was very loud, glad I had my camera with me, I don't think anyone would have believed me otherwise! Kind of looks like a hovercraft with wings. Very interesting idea.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I Googled moose in ditch and found your answer Marylyn.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric - can you ship some moose this way? we don't seem to have any here - plenty of deer though. maybe a wildlife swap?

temps over 70, fear the cold is gonna hit soon.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Currently 48° Dewpoint: 46° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 93% Pressure: 30.16 in Hg

Well Rain, Rain and MORE Rain here.
The Great Miami River is scheduled to crest 10' over flood stage by Weds.
This river drains from above Dayton to the Ohio River.

Blooms that is Wall Art! Kudos!
I grow many of the Yucca and Agave from that area.
Nice to see what Winter looks like out there.

Sharon what a weird aircraft.

kiska it's been real fun actually seeing a Winter.
I'll go back 2 years for this 'Winter' shot...lol

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

-16 °F / -26 °C
N/A
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: -20 °F / -29 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the NW
Pressure: 30.74 in / 1041 hPa (Falling)
Windchill: -26 °F / -32 °C

Sun dog(s).....not centered but DH was trying to outrace the blizzard.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Kiska and Blooms I love your winter pictures!!!! Blooms it takes my breath away to see so many colours in yours (and with that BLUE sky)!

Ric your dog doesn't look winter ready! ;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

the sensors are showing 74° shed & 70° porch - is this January? in Va?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Weird weather... I can go barefoot and be in short sleeves today, and in 2 days we have more snow and below freezing temps forecast.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

one year in Jan it got to 50° I took the bike for a ride - hit a surprise patch of ice - was a "pucker" moment I'll never forget.

These temps are unreal.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 10:32 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I posted this in digging_dirt's thread but in case some don't look there:

United States Mean Temperature (F) Anomaly....... 30 day Mean Anomaly Ending Jan 5, 2007 (it isn't your imagination Dyson/Darius ;)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Reading 75.9 shed (in the sun) 72.7 porch, I really fear tomorrow Cause I know this can't last more than a day, I should be outside & I'm going now.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: Thanks for making me laugh on a daily basis! I know you're probably outside now and I hope you're enjoying it. :)
Blooms: As my husband would say, when I saw your photo, I was "gob smacked"! May I save it for wallpaper?
Lilypon: Sun dogs? Whassat? Beautiful pic.
Rann: I join in the chorus of "Happy Birthday Hildur Eva!"

75* and overcast, Low tonight 55*, Hi tomorrow 77* !

Deb

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Brrrr..... It got down to 28F last night. The tomato and pepper plants are done and probably some other things, too. I think this is the coldest it has been since I've lived at this house (almost 10 years). The air is too dry for there to be any frost.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 14, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
35 °F / 2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 9 °F / -13 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the WSW

Ice in the fish pond.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow, Kelli! You did get a freeze! There was an item in the local paper here about how unusual that is out there. What do you think the fish are thinking? :)

Forgot to add a pic to my previous post. This fellow is blooming.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Nice paperwhite. Mine are pretty well done for the year.

I think the fish are cold. Usually when they see me they want to be fed but today they are just kind of lifeless.

Water in the bird bath frozen solid.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Rannveig may be feeling a bit cold today too......the storm she said was coming arrived. 100,000 in Sweden are without power (I'm guessing that's why she hasn't posted yet). Hopefully she has a fireplace or wood burning stove.

Kelli your location is looking ( a little bit) like Vancouver/Vancouver Island BC. They had a number of unusual winter snow storms and the snow/ice is still around for them.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

real warm here, so warm it is scary, kinda know what is coming next scary, everyone west of us take care.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Debi the sun get's some company when there is ice crystals in the air.

Sundogs (or parhelia; from Greek para, “beside,” helios, “sun”), bright spots, or mock suns, visible on either side of the sun when it is low in the sky, caused by the reflection and refraction of light from ice crystals of high sheet clouds; moon dogs are also formed in this way.

The name "sundog" is probably from old Norse and Greek mythology, when the world ends, the sun will be swallowed by a dog. The one before the sun is called "Gíll" and the one behind is called "Úlfur" (Wolf).

People believed that if the Sun had only one "dog", it was a bad omen, but two were for good news.........there were two the day of the blizzard. ;)

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 11:59 AM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sayings of old timers (re sundogs)

Sign of storm and colder weather. 1 sun dog on north side of sun colder weather.

1 sundog on south side of sun, warmer and dry weather.

Sundog on each side of sun, night of morning sign of storm

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue want's me to cook for her........ her birthday is in june....... what is up with this?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

odd yoyo weather here. Thursday 79F, remaining in the mid 70's till saturday night, cold front, then the temp and humidity is back up, 65F, more cold the next 3 days.
Spotted a very large flock of migratory Robins exceeding 150.. They are spending the weekend hanging out in the neighborhood, to snack on the ripe cherry laurels. Also spotted small flocks of Ceadar Wax Wings. Both species are early this year. Usually they are flying through in mid to late FEB. I hope they know something we don't!
Rj

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi guys!! it is in the low 20s today and Round 3 should be hitting us soon if it hasn't started already. I can't see out my window. We are lucky this year. The sleet came down in pellets so it didn't stick to the power lines and knock them down. So we still have power. Supposedly we are to get 3-5 inches of snow around here. Depends on how the storm hits us and when.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Dyson, she thinks it's June already by the high temps! :D My thermometer says ! 70*! It's been another barefoot day. Doors & windows are open. I hope this isn't an indication as to what summer may be...

Everybody has some great pix! I can't begin to comment on all of them....All are Stunning.
Thanx all, but for the last pic that I posted...it was sent to me from a friend in Va. who takes great shots, but I don't think it is one of her originals.
This has been an interesting read! I like to have never got caught up! I suppose I'll have to stay on the "puter" more! :D
Happy Birthday Hildur Eva!!! :D ( I want some of that cheese cake)
Joey

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Everybody stay safe!

(Zone 3b)

11am - about never got caught up, either..
It's 20F (above), going to snow from the looks of the low clouds. Had snow yesterday,too.
So many fantastic pics and posts to spend time with; thanks to all.
Summer will come and the flowers will be planted...GS and Lilys
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Rj, I would have thought the birdies would be on a sunlight clock. I guess MotherNature goofed and they are influenced by warmth instead. ?Do they send out scouts like ants do.? I muse on these things. How bad did Dallas get hit? I haven't been to the wc yet today. watched it all day yesterday. THis morning I got hooked into Dances with Wolves. She's just perfect in the part.

Dyson, ROFLOL you are a hoot.! . BTW the sun is so bright here today I almost need sunglasses inside. I like that. I don't like DARK either. I don't even like DIM. teehee
I stopped in Moab for a ten day vacation... almost 30 yrs ago. I came to spend the 10 days in Arches Park and while there I met some local people who showed me the neighborhood. I decided to stay until I'd seen it all. I'm still here.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It's a BIG neighborhood.;)
BTW white thing on edge of lake? no fair. me lQQkee no 'light bulb effect' so far.

About that moose ?? they working so hard to save Momma so baby will grow up and they can shoot it next fall. ? human beings are wondrous aren't we. ? dug a ramp so she could get out. gotta love em. and what they gonna run thru that pipe? petroleum, stupid.

Sharon whatever the heck IS that thing? an airborne party barge?
Ric, tnx it was so cold I only took about a dozen pictures. I've turned into a wimp since the days of walking home at -40* below. ;)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, GS is adorable, he's got pinchable cheeks.

Deb use any of my posted pics for desktops. It tickles me to think other folks like my stuff. I thought it was okay to borrow for desktop - I've got Joey's friends' pic of the full rainbow on mine right now. I did have one of EB's sunrise woods ones - I don't store em, I just borrow them. My DS gets a kick out of finding out where some were shot.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

78.1°(F) shed - 73.1°(F) porch - Afraid winter will be arriving tomorrow or the day after. Either way it will be a "rude awakening".

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Blooms: You are wallpaper! ;>
Thanks-
Deb

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric – look at that sweet baby face!
Lilypon – Good thing you had 2 “dogs”! I’d hate to see what happens when there is only one :O Amazing picture.
Dyson – You’re cracking me up! You’re on a roll today. Yep it’s summer in January… I think you got warmer than us. I don’t think we made it to 77 – too much cloud cover. We’re at 67 now. Make Sue some fried green tomatoes!
Kelli – Brrr that is very cold for you. I’d love it send it to me! Fish aren’t happy, birds aren’t happy – be careful you might just an ani-mutiny on your hands!
Deb – your paperwhite is beautiful!
Kiska – your GS is so handsome with the lilies!
I’ve been in shorts and t-shirts for the past week. I really would like to have some semblance of “winter”. I find it very boring…
Blooms – I have no idea what the “aircraft” is. I’ve never seen it around here before. Like I said – glad I had my camera with me…!

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s except in the mid 50s coast. Southeast winds 5 mph.

Another shot...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hang-glider W/raft

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.