January's Daily Weather # III, It's different!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, so many neat photos this month.

Sugar, love the pilfered image! Looks like a tulip pattern.

Joey, very cool with the PSP pictures!

Lilypon,love the sundogs!

Hildur Eva is the most beautiful princess I've ever seen!

Kelli, your weather needs discipline!

Sharon, neat ''aircraft!''

Sorry I didn't mention everyone, I sort of skipped around.

I'm up to 4 feral cats eating here now. Thats 2 cups of food everyday, but at least they have a bellyfull. I wish they would eat some of the sparrows I'm feeding 8' away. Oh well.

It's COLD! 19*. I am so grateful to be in the house in jammy pants and bunny slippers!

Hi Mornin_gayle! Finally, a fellow Iowan who isn't too far away! I hope you become a regular!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Kelli I looked at the article and hope rain moves in soon easing those dry conditions. Seems like many are having unusual winter weather. We simply have not had much winter(cold temps) here but others very close have had the opposite extremes of cold and excess moisture. Whats with that? It must be the ocean temps that play such an effect on the weather. It's sure been a funny winter here.

Cuckoo

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

All of the "Dyson Dark" references made me think about another kind of dark. Greg Brown is a folk singer with over 20 albums to his credit. He put out a live album in the early 90's that has a great little song called "Canned Goods." It's about his grandmother and the chorus goes something like:

Peaches on the shelf,
Potatos in the bin,
Suppers ready, everybody come on in,
Taste a little of the summer,
Taste a little of the summer,
Grandma put it all in jars...............

Anyway, part way through the story he starts telling a wonderfully funny story about going to his grandmothers house when he was a kid. Sitting in the backseat of the car while his mother drove 70mph over the gravel roads and "butterfly hills" while looking in the rearview mirror and putting her make-up on. After they arrive at Grandmas and get hugged to death by all the aunts the young boys form a pack and run off to the woods and spend the whold day having great adventures. Late in the day the adults call the kids and tell them it's time to come in--it's dark! But Greg says it wasn't really dark. It was "ADULT DARK!" The adults had all been sitting in the house drinking coffee and talking about their gall-bladders or something. They couldn't see a thing! It wasn't dark at all!............

It's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 7:46 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks EB I'll listen for it. LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, that article is so depressing.

Sharon, I love the grasses!

Cuckoo, we haven't had much winter either. It's been really warm most of the time.

Early, I love that story! Adult dark is so true!!!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

E.B. LOL - great story. I think "Dyson Dark" is a part of everyone's vocabulary here.
It was 15 on the porch this morning. Now 26 degrees, clear and expected to stay clear until tomorrow night. Just a beautiful very crisp winter day here in Pa.

I dread seeing inches of snow, but my plants are taking these below freezing days and nights and need that snow-mulch. Trouble is, I am the snow blower person. LOL, at least it keeps me from getting too stiff to do spring garden work.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon - the last good thing she found on E-bay was an autographed copy of "square foot gardening" I can't find it and she has switched to make up.

still don't know the temp. but it is still cold.

On a bright note - I got my seeds from TGS today!

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 8:05 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hellooo!! E_B, you Do love your music, huh? :D Thanx for sharing!
Kelli, I really hate that about you plants. They look pretty sad (droopy). I do hope that they revive & I Really hope that you get the much needed rain! (w/out the Wind).
Sally stay warm! in your Jammies.:D (thanx about the PSP ~ it's been fun)
Sharon (or Sniper Queen), your pic says it all! Now that's what I call Swayin! (or was that Swingin')(a song by somebody)...
Deb, your clouds are Ominous today! We had sun, with a few clouds. Hope you don't get the ice. I was going thru Charlette one winter & it was snowing to beat the band & I'll tell ya....Those people down there drove like they had never seen the stuff...car off the road everywhere! And I had Never seen the rest areas so full. I guess it's just what you're used to.
Kiska & Blooms, those are absolutely Beautiful pix! Love them Both! :D
Marylyn, Houston & San Antonio were on the news tonight...Way too much Ice! Please be careful & stay safe! Or better yet just stay in!
Dyson ~ are you gonna be a "Plantin fool"? :D Did ya order bunches of "stuff"?

Oh Yea, I about for got to tell my weather. It's ADD (Adult Dyson Dark! :D) at 24*. The temps dippin' down there.
Have a Great Evening all! (something a little more Cheery)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

E_B - Adult Dark! I love it!
Seeds - Dyson Dark is in the dictionary isn't it?
Dyson - I had to look up Square Foot Gardening - interesting stuff! I've bought everthing from my shampoo to my car on e-Bay. What kind of seeds did you get?
here's a different picture

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all!! Got into the 20s today. Melted the snow which made it hard to get around. Several small trucks got stuck at work and I got stuck in the ditch on my road on the way home. Was tapping brakes so neighbor could check mail and get into driveway and I could continue on w/out worrying about landing in the culvert. I hit a slick spot and my back end spun around and hit the ditch and my front end swung around the other way and my whole passenge side was in ditch. I tried to get out even with my 4WD on with no luck so I called my dad to come and help. We had to go back to the house to get chains on tires and a chain to pull me with. Got me out and my neighbor never got out and checked on me or nothing. Bah humbug. I slid the rest of the way home going about 10 mph on solid ice with no snow for traction. Fun!! NOT!!

Hi all!! Got into the 20s today. Melted the snow which made it hard to get around. Several small trucks got stuck at work and I got stuck in the ditch on my road on the way home. Was tapping brakes so neighbor could check mail and get into driveway and I could continue on w/out worrying about landing in the culvert. I hit a slick spot and my back end spun around and hit the ditch and my front end swung around the other way and my whole passenge side was in ditch. I tried to get out even with my 4WD on with no luck so I called my dad to come and help. We had to go back to the house to get chains on tires and a chain to pull me with. Got me out and my neighbor never got out and checked on me or nothing. Bah humbug. I slid the rest of the way home going about 10 mph on solid ice with no snow for traction. Fun!! NOT!! No damage to truck eiher.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sharon, it snowed on Christmas Eve here 2 years ago. That was perfect! We had about half an inch... just enough to play in. And in the morning it was gone.

Our ice problems are over for now here. It is going to get back up in the 40's during the day tomorrow and just rain. The flood watches are still in effect, but all of the winter warnings are gone.

Kelli, I hope some/all of your plants survive! They definitely look sad. :-/

E_B, what a great song! I'll have to look for him...

Sidney, how are you doing? I looked up "sebaceous cyst" and it looks ugly in a very benign sort of way. :-( Do they take it out or leave it in and watch it?

Keep warm everyone!!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CST (10 min ago)
Temperature 36 °F 2 °C
Dew Point 32 °F 0 °C
Humidity 85%
Pressure 30.47 in 1032 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20°
Ceiling 1200 ft 366 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 32 °F 0 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 34.0°F / 1.1°C

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pepper, thank goodness there was no damage, but it still sounds scary.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 8:06 PM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Good evening friends.
Well, the weather map to the north of Jax is loaded.
However I think Sharon and myself have dodged the bullet, so to speak. It is wet outside and dark too.
Light Rain Mist
54.1 °F / 12 °C
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 11.0 mph / 17 km/h from the NE
Wind Gust: 15.0 mph / 24 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa
Visibility: 2.5 miles / 4.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 700 ft /
I of course thought that the county had DD's death records, .....they don't! Gonna try cemetery records tomorrow. Wouldn't it be spooky if I went back and found there was no longer a headstone on his grave? I have entered his name every way I can think of and even some common misspells. There are many folks who want to find it for me for various $. I recon I'll let em do it and get er done!
Sidney

Still rainy outside and Dark....No snow or ice.
Looks ike the worst of it has moved North of us.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON
Includes the Counties: Duval, Nassau
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville

Today...Breezy in the morning near the coast. Areas of fog in the morning. Cloudy with chance of rain in the morning...Followed by slight chance of rain. Highs in the upper 50s. Inland...North winds 10 to 15 mph becoming northwest by midday. Near the coast...North winds 15 mph with gusts to 20 mph becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph by midday. Chance of rain 50 percent.

46 now high today is 59

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 5:58 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! It's 28* & Dyson Dark. We're supposed to get some flurries today, but nothing major.
Sidney, hope you find the death cert.
Sharon, what a gloomy pic. That is some high surf, there!
Pepper, hope you have a better day today.

Hav a Great Day All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

It's a beautiful day here today - light breeze, mostly clear skies so the sun is shining :-) A bit on the cold side still, only 25°F, but with all the bad weather you all have been having over there I can't complain :-)

Kelli - sure hope that you'll get some rain - sounds like it's getting to be a very serious matter there according to the article. I just can't imagine not getting any rain for so long ..........

Debi - I hope you won't get the ice rain - I don't think that we've ever had that happen here ..... doesn't sound nice at all by Marylin's and Pepper's description!

Pepper - glad you're unharmed and the car isn't damaged - that must have been scary!

Thanks Susan (on you compliment on Hildur Eva) :-) Hope things warm up in Iowa as well :-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rannveig

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, check with the funeral home. They keep a copy of death certificates with their records, and were mine were very helpful providing me with copies for my mother's ongoing business.
Pati

PS 62, warm and bright...going up to 80 today

(Zone 3b)

7:30am, 13 degrees, dark, clear; snow in the forecast.
MySharona- it does seem as if the weather/winds will be on-going; I'd love to see the ocean in the winter; your photo sure captures the look of the day..
Rann-what a difference it makes to have blue sky and sunshine - glad it's there for you to enjoy.
Joey - love those woodsy photos you take.
patischell- up to 80* - wow - bet you love it.
Yesterday's moose.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

"Yesterday's moose"
Where else can you find a caption for a picture like that! I love it. LOL
Pati

Pepper - what an awful thing to happen - stay safe.
Kiska - I love the moose! Great picture!
Rann - sounds like you've got a gorgeous day going on! Enjoy!

We're still gloomy and grey. The forecast has changed again! Our high is now 51 - we are at 45 now. Today...Cloudy with 30 percent chance of light rain. Highs 51 coast to 55 inland. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Palms blowing in the "breeze".

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, drought is part of life here. That doesn't mean it's fun, but you have to expect it to happen. Back in the 1860s, it didn't rain for over a year. That was disastrous to the economy since they didn't have aqueducts and the economy was pretty much all ranchng. However, the natural vegetation survived. It is adapted to drought and fire.

Meanwhile back at this ranch, guess what? It's windy. (No, I don't have a ranch, just a ~1/3 acre suburban yard.)

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 18, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
59 °F / 15 °C
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 7 °F / -14 °C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s

Here's an article on snow locally. No snow here, just a trace of rain.

Picture from the weekend. I was kind of surprised to see some water in this creek since it isn't that big of a creek to begin with, but there are some year-round streams. There would have to be or the Indians could never have survived here. The indications are that life was not particularly tough in pre-contact times, but I often think of then on cold and windy days and during drought years. They were completely dependant on hunting, fishing, and gathering for food and other necessities. If you care to read about them, here's a link http://www.fourdir.com/gabrielino.htm (Now I better get outside and go for my walk.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sugerweed, it seems like you have to go to a paid site to find that sort of info.

Sharon, the ocean looks cold and uninviting, but it makes a good picture.

Joey, green is the prettiest color right now!!

Kiska, I just don't know what to think about moose in my yard every day. They are so neat to see, but I shy away from anything bigger than me. I'd hate to turn around and have to scream MOOSE!!! :))

Pati, you're right, ''Yesterdays moose'' IS funny!

Kelli, I'll have to come back and read your article. I'm afraid to lose this in cyberspace if I move! :)) The first people to live in Nichols actually lived out in the country. They moved Indians out so they could move in. My Grandpa told me, when I was little, the Indians would come thru the tall grass and borrow a cup of sugar. I didn't believe him, but wondered if it was true too. He also told me the wind blew his hair off. No wonder I'm goofy! :)))

Currently At 2:46PM[ More ] 34°
RealFeel®
23°F
Winds: WSW
at 13mph
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 30° F Pressure: 30.02 in
Visibility: 10 Miles Tonight[ More ]
Low: 19°F
RealFeel®: 5°F
Sunset: 5:03 PM Today[ More ]
High: 35°F
RealFeel®: 26°F
Sunrise: 7:28 AM

This message was edited Jan 18, 2007 3:12 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All - 34.0° (F) Shed, 40.8° (F) porch Grey and rain/freezing rain, there is a ½ inch of ice on the hood of the car from the ride up from Danville, I fear the ride in tomorrow, but have to be in early, so I'll have to leave home extra early. Everyone take care and stay warm.

Oh yea, the seeds I got from TGS were:

Cabernet (Hybrid) 30ea.
Sun Gold (Hybrid) 30ea.
Druzba 30ea.
Stupice 30ea.
Marianna's Peace 30ea.

That is going to be more plants than I have room for if I have good germination rates so if someone needs some let me know.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

32.7° (F) shed, 41.2 (F) porch, Time to sack.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Evening all!
I'm happy to say the forecast ice did not materialize, just a cold gray persistant rain. High today was only 38. For us that's "frigid"! :)
Shot this out the car window, so I didn't really frame it very well. Anyway, the point of it being these two giant magnolias in full bloom.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Evening Deb! Beautiful blooms ! I love the huge house with the wonderful porch too! I'm glad you didn't get ice. I wish no one had to have ice.

It's 24*, dark, and windy here!! Not nice at all. We had a high of 32*

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Debi, your picture of the Magnolias in bloom lifts my heart. There will be a spring. We had intermittent sunshine today. Currently 31 degrees and fairly calm winds. Scheduled for snow flurries tomorrow night - from north of us ( Lake Erie). They usually don't amount to too much here in our area. So far, so good... but after all this IS winter.
Stay safe all.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm happy the magnolias had the desired effect. The weather may be "frightful" but I prefer to believe the flowers know what they're doing, and spring will be here - soon. :)
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful magnolias, Deb!!!

It is warmer today and is going to get slower warmer as the week goes on. There are definitely flood warnings now (instead of just flood watches). I wish we could send some of this water to you, Kelli! It's not going to stop until next Wednesday..

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53pm CST (29 min ago)
Temperature 43 °F 6 °C
Dew Point 41 °F 5 °C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.37 in 1028.5 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20°
Ceiling 400 ft 122 m
Visibility 4 mi 6.4 km
Current Conditions Light Rain, Mist (at least they know what it is this time! LOL)
Remarks 0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 41.0°F / 5.0°C

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Chilly outside and toasty in the house.
I finally chased down the death certificate.
The Funeral home hadn't started saving DCs in 1982. The Charlotte Observer past issues were available on line back to 1985.
I got the correct Funeral home the first try and the lady there knew the real place to get Death Certificates.
I'll be there early Monday morning and wrap up these little details. Then I go by Lawyer's office and
jump thru 6 more rings. Hope the storms wont hamper my trip.
Confirmed with the pension office that I only need another 724 hrs by the end of sept. and my vesting will be secure. My main resolution was to simplify life this year. So far that's working.
Sidney

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! It's 36* with nothing else going on, ther than it's dyson Dark. We're supposed to get a little snow Friday evening, but more that may accumulate on Sunday night.
Dyson, do be careful in the morning! (be thinkin' 'bout ya)
Sally, I have all kinds of green. The forecast for today was temps of high 20's, but it got up to 38*.
Kelli, thanx for the link...very interesting! :)
Rann, glad you're having some decent weather. I saw on the news about the 90 mile an hour winds in England...Aweful!
Deb, those Magnolia's are Gorgeous! (even if they are a little off center)
Marylyn, glad you're warming up out there! :D
Sidney, I'm glad that things are coming together.
Have a Good Evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Hi guys! Got to 37* today and it melted the ice into slush. It will ice over again tonight and melt again tomorrow. Supposed to snow this weekend but haven't heard what the accumilation will be.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I caught up on the last weather thread I missed.

Kiska, the vaporizing coffee was the neatest thing I've ever seen!

Joey, the rainbow was so stunningly beautiful and unusual!

Kelli, I wish I had fresh tomatoes. Fried green ones are easy to do and taste tangy. I get addicted to them!

Ric, moose in a trench was very interesting. Especially getting him out!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, the size of your moose becomes apparent in this last moose shot. It is HUGE. like it could crash right thru your door if it wanted. Wow.

Deb, for contrast, your shot of the magnolias in blossom is wonderfully spring like. If a bit on the early side.

our winter is proceeding more or less normally. Cold but with little precip.
Today low: 12
high: 34
nothing else happening weather wise. no clouds. just this persistant cold high.

(Zone 3b)

Love those magnolia blossoms; what a nice surprise this time of year.
pepper23 -Melting/slush; not pleasant conditions to be out and about in.
Sugarweed; good to hear that you've tracked the DC...hope you get the needed hours, too.
The moose in the yard is the two-year old...his mom is much larger but she was across the road up at the neighbor's place.
That plant is gorgeous, Joey -
The hot coffee/vapor is always a favorite with all ages...
It's nearly 7pm; snowfall of up to 8" forecast, but, we'll see..18 degrees, so it's warming up and maybe it will be that much.
Moose up at the neighbor's place.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Kiska - I love those moose photos :-) They sure are making themselves at home! Can you get to you house safely when you come home and find a moose in your driveway ???

Debi - those magnolias are awesome! I love those ....... too cold for them here :-(

It's a cold one today, 23°F, a bit too breezy considering the cold and fairly clear skies - might get to see the sun again today. Today is "bóndadagur" so I'll have to figure out something nice to get DH .......
It's the first day of the old norse month "Þorri" (pron. Thorri) wich along with the following month "Góa" are the months to endure until spring arrives ....... In the past these months were really an endurance test, Þorri is traditionally the coldest month and by this time food was getting scarce. No fresh meat, just the not so appetising "þorrafood" and maybe a bit of smoked lamb left. This traditional þorra quisine is something Icelanders love to shock foreign visitors with since it's not something people normally would eat unless they were starving ........ for some strange reason it's still very popular here wich for the life of me I can't figure out why since we have plenty of decent food to eat now. I don't think I should go into details since I don't want to make anyone queesy, lets just say that everything off the sheep was eaten and for it to last the whole winter it was stored in a sour liquid that's a byproduct of our very popular "skyr" and is called mysa. Hence most of the food has a sour tang to it although now you can also get it "fresh" ....... Then there's also the dried fish (which is very good) and the spoiled shark (similar to the skate that's eaten before Christmas). There will be thorra feasts (called þorrablót) all over town - most companies have them for their employees and restaurants also offer them ....... I can tell you all that I won't be going to any of them ;-) Hildur Eva's preschool has one today - they've been preparing for it all week I think.

This is how the average thorraplatter looks like today - doesn't really look that bad ...... ;-)
http://www.skutan.is/images/stories/torrab/index.html

Here's a description of the þorra "quisine" for those who aren't too squeamish ;-)

http://www.grapevine.is/default.aspx?show=paper&part=fullstory&id=1059

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 11:47 AM

Kelli – Such a pretty creek you found. In spite of the drought you really do have some lovely areas to walk.
Dyson – please be safe driving.
Deb – A magnolia in bloom is one of my favorites. My fantasy house in the background.
Sidney – glad you are getting things in order – life is always easier when simplified!
Joey – you really do have all shades of green! Pretty bud picture.
Kiska – I may be repeating myself, but how big do moose get? If that’s the yearling – how big is mama? I love the pictures you take of them.
Rann – Enjoy bóndadagur! Your turn is coming up! Ummm..

"Bringukollar. OK admittedly, this stuff is pretty foul. It consists of bones with fatty tissue still clinging to them, soaked in mýsa. I can think of no workable reason to even try this.

Hmmmm.

Still gloomy - we're at a damp 50 right now. The high is 59. Today...Considerable cloudiness with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 50s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph

Some blue peeked out yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

LOL Sharon! Yes those are just nasty - I don't know why anyone would eat that ....... I was thinking of getting DH one of those thorraplatters pictured since he actually likes some of that stuff, but it's $28! I wouldn't mind paying that for a nice steak - but for spoiled food?? I don't think so. Maybe I'll just clean the house or something .....

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! Rannveig, I now know where the TV show "Fear Factor" got some of their ideas! It may be alright if you are used to it or if you're starving, but I think I will stick with a good steak , too. EWWWW. $28. for spoiled food? I guess I would truely have to be starving in every sense of the word. ( I will get your seeds in the mail today)
Thanx, Sharon. There is much green popping out here.

It's 40* & has done a little precip. I see a little sun peeking thru the clouds accroos the way (valley). They say snow or the chance of it will increase as the day goes on. We'll see....

Have a Great Day All!
Joey

(my Clematis)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.