This might brighten you up......(continued)

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Got this from Google , Hope it shows up for you .
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=the+snowy+mountains&spell=1

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL I never took geography in high school, because I had already learned so much about the world. Ever since I was a kid, I read all I could get my hands on about other cultures and environments(not that I ever studied enough to do something with it, what with my scater brained, gemini induced attention span-LOL) One comes to mind of the 3 stories of 'Mutiny on the Bounty'. Capt Bligh sailing along the north coast of Australia to get to the English settlement. Quite interesting, their thoughts of the natives.

came out fine, Kell. Truely beautiful.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2007 3:29 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Absolutely georgeous I never knew! Wow. Ok then I have to go there in the winter. Then up to QLD for some beach time. I have all night to work starting in 5 hours so got to go nite nite. Steve

And Paul you know the good part ?
It`s 10 hours drive from my front door .

Ron ~ Steve .

Wow! So many new faces.

I know Paul is still here. (Vadap)
But I wonder if any of the old crew are still about ?
This is about the time Nov/Dec I first started posting here many many years ago.

I originally started this Thread off to cheer all you good folk from Rocky Mountains up.
I believe it is snowing there and everyone's gardens have once again been moved inside.

We call this comfort food. ;~)

Thumbnail by ginger749
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Hmmmm....I just put a 24 Lb. turkey in the oven. That should keep me going until the crocus show up. LOL

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

I fear all the old members have long gone.
One has even died ?

What is the weather like where you are ?
Paul aka Vadap said he lives one mile above sea level. ;~)

I live at the 5900 foot level on the western slope of the Rockies and it has been cold at night and warm and dry during the day for our area. Hopefully it will snow/rain later in the week.

Threre are still a fair number of Rocky Mountain members out there, they just aren't writing as much.

Sonny

Here is a place that has not seen snow for 700,000 years.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Hi Sonny,

How did that 24 lb. Turkey go ?
Is there any left ?

Saw this at our local Supermarket today. ^_^
Automaticlly thought of all you guys way up there in the clouds of The Rocky Mountains.

kell.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Kell,

The turkey came out much better than I expected. The twelve hours of brining and the use of an oven bag worked really well! I stripped it down, vacum packed the meat and threw most of it in the freezer.

I really must get out this weekend and throw a bunch of compost on the front beds, maybe I will even water if it isn't snowing as it has been so dry!

Sonny

The Poinsettia has just started Flowering here at home.
A sure sign of Summer and Xmas. ^_^
By the way, today is officially our 3rd day of Summer.

Quote from Pewjumper :
That should keep me going until the crocus show up. LOL

Sonny

What are the Crocus ???

Crocus are a large family of flowering bulbs that either come up in the Spring or the Fall depending on the variety. Some are quite small and are planted in lawn areas where the come up in very early spring, flower and die back before the grass really starts growing. The crocus in my front flower beds actually come up through the snow and are an encouraging sign that Spring is just around the corner.

You probably know of at least one species of crocus, Saffron Crocus.

Sonny

I get it now.
I thought you were cooking the Turkey for a family gathering.
And you were calling your friends 'Çrocus'. ^_^

We call our relatives 'Outlaws'. (Inlaws)

Do you have Bamboo there ?

Thumbnail by ginger749

I haven't seen bamboo growing in Colorado, but there may be some species that can grow here.

You ran a caption a little while ago, "Hasn't snowed in 700,000 years". Don't you get snow on Mount Kosciuszko and the Snowy Range, or were you refering to another place in Australia?

The photo is from one of the places I work at in the headwaters of Castle Creek, Colorado above Aspen, Colorado.

Willows, aspens, fir and pine with wildflowers in the Summer.

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

Quote from Pewjumper :
You ran a caption a little while ago, "Hasn't snowed in 700,000 years". Don't you get snow on Mount Kosciuszko and the Snowy Range, or were you refering to another place in Australia?

The place I took the Picture of that strange tree is in Queensland.
The Place is called Hughenden.
Stanthorpe is the only place in Queensland where it snows.

Thumbnail by ginger749

What a great picture you took there Pew.
Fancy waking up to that every day !!!

I've just spent 3 weeks in Alaska/Canada and loved it.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi can I jump in? Pew...I still find it amazing that I'm still higher than you and I live on the Eastern Plains, lol (6800-6900ft) lol. Still planting when the ground is clear, rototilled a few weeks ago so when the snow clears off and its warm enough, out I go to get more planting done. Will I ever be done when fall arrives, I'd like to veg like most gardeners do when late fall arrives,LOL. Finished planting approx 1500 iris, and still sticking other things in the ground yet. Hope it warms up a bit and stays clear of snow for a while. Maybe Santa is listening and will grant my wish, oh maybe I need my Fairy Godmother rather. Lol!!!! And Pew, just curious what do you do for a living? Love your Pix, is gorgeous!! Are you a ranger? Chat later, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Hi Kathy,

You are most welcome to join in.

Wow, 1500 iris bulbs planted.
I'll bet you are exhausted.
I once planted 300 storm lilys.
So I know how you feel with five times as many.
Hope Santa grants you your wish. ;o)

Besides Yellow, your picture is full of my favourite colours.

Thanks again for joining in.

kell.

Kathy,

I am a water & wastewater treatment operator. I do not work for a government entity although on rare occasions I am called in to do rescue/reorganization work. I largely serve small entities like HOA'S which means I cover a lot of territory.

I live in Glenwod Springs which is nestled in the western arms of the Rocky Mountains. Our weather is pretty stable compared to the front range, (East side) of the Rocky Mountains. Once we get a season going there aren't to many surprises like what you get on the front range.

I have some big plans for landscaping around my place for 2012 provided the money & time work out. A lot of it has to do with soil engineering and terrascaping, I will send pictures later. It is a shame that Dave's Garden doesen't have folders for various projects.

Sonny

Thumbnail by Pewjumper

Sure looks like you have your work ahead of you Sonny.
Looking great so far.

Are they Cannas in your Wine Barrels ?
I only have Tropicannas.

Looking forward to those pictures. ^_^

This is a Picture of some of my 300 Storm Lilies just weeks after I planted them.
That bed now has over 1000 bulbs in it.
And I didn't buy one single more than the original 300.
Each year they triple themselves. ;--)

Thumbnail by ginger749

Ginger,

Yes there is a lot of work, fortunately most of it can be done with heavy equipment. The picture above is all finished with agastaches, coneflowers, tall bearded iris, daffodills and blanket flowers. This project was all done by hand, a total of some 77,000 lbs. of dirt and rock dug sifted and remixed with the addition of sand, peat moss & acidified cotton boll compost. A lot of work when you include the retaining wall.

Those are indeed cannas in the wine barrels, the winter weather claimed them all because I didn't have an adequate place to store them. I may buy seeds in late winter and try my hand at getting them started on the light table out in the garage.

Is there another name for your storm lilys? They almost look like "Naked Ladies", a South African native. I am always looking for something new and different.

Sonny

This is a close up Picture of the Flower and pollen.
I bought them privately so I did not get a name for them.
I will Yahoo it and see if I can find a real name.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I for one was glad to see the flowers and beauty of the otherside of the planet. Thanky
This is the beauty of my day. Whore frost on all of everything here. Just got home from Alaska and both places look the same. I love the squeak of frost on my shoes walking to my work.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This was my walk off my boat Saturday am. Wrangell AK.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Hi Soferdig,
Nice to see you back.

That picture of the Whore frost is FANTASTIC. ^_^
Takes me back to My other life in Copenhagen.
If you have any more pictures of Snow/Frost in the Garden.
I would love to see them.

We get frost here but never Snow.
One year I lost 4,000 Tropical Fish that I keep in Ponds.
I breed them and sell to Pet Shops here on the Cold Goast.
Pays for my mower fuel and blades.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Wow ! It sure is quite from 'Thé Rockies'.
Took this Picture not 30 minutes ago.
This is the Poinciana Tree.
A sure sign of Summer and Xmas.

Thumbnail by ginger749

No snow around here as you can see.

Merry Christmas everyone.
So much more to do next year.

Cheers kell.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Whaaaat?

No Fosters, KB Lager or even a sniff of Barossa Valley Shiraz?! LOL!

Merry Christmas!

Of course growing up in Southern California, the weather could be anywhere from the high 40's to the mid 90's. So I know what it's like to have Christmas in Summer.

Sonny

All the bottles are re-sealable homebrew bottles. ^_^

A noble endeavor.

Many of the old Itallian familes in the valley make wine, I know of several folks who make various other beverages and even one guy who makes moonshine, (illegal in Colorado).

Do you have any house plants that are easy to tke care of that you really like. It seems my soil mix for my plumeria cuttings just has to much peat moss.

Sonny

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I don't think it is illegal to moonshine, just to sell it. We have lots here in MT making their own.
Here I am getting the still warmed up. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig

It's the same here in Auss Steve.

What are all the Toys hanging around your neck in your other picture ?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

What toys? Which other picture?

This picture: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8940063

How was your Xmas party ?
We swam in the pool ½ the day.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh that one. I was in a 4th of July parade in Petersburg to introduce myself by wearing little stuffed animals and passed them out to kids along the way. I couldn't find any other clothing but Angus Young underwear for the american flag.

How Cute.

I thought you were collecting stuffed animals.
I could have sent you a Kangaroo or a Koala. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.