Coffee and Chat

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I'm gonna grow some dill, and I just started germinating bronze fennel, anyone growing that? Looks like a great plant.

thanks Azreno
i have lots of dill at our house in the spring , i never new what to do iwth it until i started canning and made pickles, they aren't so good but they taste good with friesh dill put into jars . :)
Mary it sound like fun at your house :)
i will miss digging in dirt an having a real garden :( but we will have some containters growing stuff and my house plants in our trailer.
I have never herd of bronze fennel , i love fennel is salads !!
I m lucky i have a teenager who is strong and will do my pile moving for me lol :)
when do you plant in AZ ?? i m not familar with your zones for gardening . I only started gardening in OH when we moved here

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

We can plant pretty much year round here, different things at different times. Gonna get a bunch of bulbs in the ground this week :-)

sounds great

Crossville, TN

Happy New year to all!!

Even though I am from the South I am glad that our family tradition on New Year's is NOT Black Eyed Peas....but CABBAGE.....I am frying up 2 heads of cabbage...and making a cabbage casserol that has Feta Cheese, sour cream, dill, and bread crumbs...a friend brought it to a pot luck recently and I LOVED it. There will be six of us having dinner on this cabbage this evening....OH OH....I left out the Corn Bread!! And Buttered Parsley Potatoes. Yummy. Jo

No fudge for dessert? NO? Time to make another batch!

Phoenix, AZ

Oooh! Jo! What time is dinner?
My Mother used to torture me with black eyed peas...YUC!

Crossville, TN

Dinner is over and I let the DD's get out of doing the dishes....and filled them up with left overs....A store boughten rasberry cake with ice cream was dessert....

On with 2007!!!! That's two....double O Seven's !! LOL Jo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Just one double 0 Seven would do fine for me. ;-) As long as it was the original one.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm with you 100.007% Judyb!
Sean was the Best.

Phoenix, AZ

HELLO! ROGER MOORE!!!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Roger who?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I was kind of hoping Clive Owen might be the new one, I would've liked that, otherwise, I like Sean, too.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sean, Roger, Pierce! Sean's still my favorite, but I never complain about watching Roger and Pierce...

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi! Sorry to drop in on you like this....I posted the following inquiry on the vacation/travel forum and someone encouraged me to check with you on this forum and thread. They said you were a very friendly group. Your posts above certainly support that opinion! I'll just copy/paste -

DH and I are headed to Scottsdale the end of Feb/early Mar. It's a business trip for him. We will stay at the Fairmont. There are activities planned for spouses during the day and dinners, etc. at night. Being a woman, the most important thing I need to know is........what to wear?!!!!!! LOL! Am I correct to expect 70's during the day and 40-50's at night? Do locals dress casually at nice restaurants (like the west coast)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've never been there and am looking forward to it.

Thanks, Debra

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Welcome! Our temps can vary widely in that time period, they can be as high as what you said or as low as 25 at night and 50's in the day :-) It would be not be easy to pack for that trip ahead of time, you'll need to watch the forecast or dress in layers. As far as restaurants go.......I guess it would be relative to the restaurant, but I would say casual gets you just nearly everywhere, but then you're talking scottsdale, so who knows LOL Somebody called it snottsdale, who was that.....Jude?

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Debra,

I second what Lynn has told you. Expect fairly nice weather, 70ish, but come prepared for cooler and possibly wet weather too! As far as Scottsdale goes...get a BMW rental car and wear whatever clothes you would on a country club golf course or business casual and you should be OK at most places. Formal attire is seldom required. Don't forget sunglasses.

Dan

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Gang! I had Mom here for a few days and worked a few. Been busy. Hope y'all are well.

Last night my 27" standard TV decided to jump out of my bedroom armoire and land flat on the carpet while I was soundly sleeping. Believe it or not, the glass didn't break but the plugs in back are very loose and I'm afraid to plug it in again to see if it works. I'm worried it will blow up! Plus, since one of the brass pegs gave way allowing the shelves to fall and TV to slide out, the 2 heavy shelves that held the TV are now wedged sideways and very tightly inside the armoire. So much so, that it punched a hole in the right side of it. The first loud noise of the shelf peg breaking sounded like loud thunder and I just rolled over. But when the TV slid and hit the floor it was like a bolt of lightning and thunder hit just outside my bedroom door. Scared the BaJeeba's out of me! The trip charge alone for the furniture guy is $75. I called Pruitt's and the manufacturer but my beautiful Burlwood set is now discontinued and out of warranty.

Looks like no TV in bed for a week.

Thumbnail by azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's the real damage. {sobbing}

Thumbnail by azrobin

It's been Snottsdale for decades. ;-) But you don't need a BMW. Casual attire is entirely appropriate. I'd suggest a sweater just *in case* it's cold.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

(Heyyyyy, watch it with Snottsdale - you guys! Hehehe....but I do love it here.)

Hi Debra!

I can help! I’m a Scottsdale Realtor. The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Resort is fabulous!!! I live just north of there. Yes, dining at local restaurants is casual. However, if you go to a nicer place you can expect to see some BLING. I typically categorize it as: Casual (jeans), Dinner (slacks, nice blouse) and Dining (sequins, bling, etc.) attire. Temps have been pretty kind. At that time of year and where you're coming from a tank or short sleeves while in the sun, long sleeves or light sweater in late afternoon and possibly evening. By March however, you'll be wearing less of the sweater. Bring some shorts, too. Dan's advice was pretty accurate. A useful website is www.azcentral.com which is our local Channel 12's website. They have links on weather, dining and entertainment. My favorite Mexican Restaurant is at Scottsdale Rd an Pinnacle Peak Rd - Jalapeño’s. Wonderful food and a great bar that has a huge window that opens up onto a patio in front of the establishment in addition to other outdoor seating. They have live music every weekend. I go there quite a bit. Also, the Golf Club at Grayhawk has a wonderful restaurant where you can dine Alfresco with views of the mountains and golf course. There is also Maestro's which is a piano bar and hi end restaurant. No jeans, but no bling needed. Outstanding steak and seafood.

If you need more help, just let me know!

Robin

(Disclaimer to DG Staff – please note, this is NOT self promotion. I’m merely stating my qualifications to help this DG friend know our Scottsdale area.)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Robin... how sad! I'm so sorry for the damage to your armoire, it is so pretty. You must be able to get someone to repair it though, don't you think?

fleurs... I agree with everyone else's opinion on attire. You're staying not far from where I live. If my gardens weren't all frozen to death (yes, it can happen here), I'd invite you over to see them. Alas, it's too embarrassing at the moment. If you get a chance, take a drive to Cave Creek. Lots of fun and quirky shops and restaurants. If you're looking for a cold one and a classic Cave Creek hangout, go to Harold's Cave Creek Coral. We go there quite often on Fridays. Whatever you do while you're here, don't drink and drive, not even a little. If you need the name of a good (and reasonably priced) driver, dmail me and I will give you his info. Drives a sedan, we've used him for years.

If you want any other detailed info, contact me and I'll fill you in!

Brenda

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow Brenda that bites, so sorry!

Blessings,
Awanda

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Brenda. The people I contacted that were referred to me by Pruitt's think they can repair it.

Yes, Debra - Brenda's a Realtor as well. We'll get you groovin' in the Scottsdale scene! LOL

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's stinks Robin....but let me guess, it's a sony? with a 3" picture tube? that weighs like a gazillion pounds? They're very front heavy :-(

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, you are a friendly and helpful group! Thanks for all the information. Didn't realize I would hit the jackpot and hear from two locals in the real estate business. You do sound like you know what you're talking about. Dan, I'll admit your description is the closest to what I expected!

I checked the agenda and these are some of the planned activities we may choose from; tour of Taliesan West (Frank Lloyd Wright winter home and studio), Hummer tour of the Sonoran Desert, rafting trip on Salt River. Some recommended things to do on our own while there; Casanti Foundation - Paolo Soleri Windbells, Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, Downtown Scottsdale Arts district.
Recommended restaurants; Deseo, Mosaic, Drinkwater's City Hall Steakhouse, Mastro's Steakhouse, Eddie V's Edgewater Grill, Razz's Restaurant & Bar, Roys, Tarbells, Michaels at the Citadel, Roaring Fork, T. Cooks, Vincent Guerithault on the Camelback, See Saw, NORTH, Zinc Bistro.

If anyone has opinions, please share them! Thanks again. Debra

Robin - that television falling out is just freaky! Hope you can get that pretty armoir repaired.

I've lived here since '72, which should qualify me for somethin'. ;-)

I'd recommend Taliesin and Desert Botanical Gardens--though it's a matter of personal taste. You'll see plenty of hummingbirds at Desert Botanical Gardens, too :)

edited to add info re rafting on the Salt River: http://www.inaraft.com/photo-gallery/salt-river-rafting-01.htm

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 5:37 PM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Yep, I'd say that qualifies you! DH just indicated he would like to go to the botanical gardens - he's an amature photographer. Sounds like that's a doer!
Debra

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Botanical garden are great. I recomended The Roasring Fork and I can also say that Drinkwater's City hall is great and Vincent's on Camelback. You might also want to check out the beautiful groounds at the Royal Palms. They have plummeria and lots of other great plants. There is a place calle Fusions in Scottsdale they have the best Kobe beef burgers around!!

Crossville, TN

"However, if you go to a nicer place you can expect to see some BLING. ".....Help this old lady that is usually in bed by 8 PM....what is BLING? I was born dumb but nothing says I can't learn! LOL Jo

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, Jo, Robert and I met you in College Station, Tx, last spring. You and I would say pzazz -- shiny, sparkly stuff. I think.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

What a bummer Robin. I also have a 27' Sony in the bedroom armoire and I just went in to check it. Everything looks kosher but those TV's are extremely heavy. I would be surprised if something didn't break internally from a fall that high. Hope the furniture repairman can fix the side panel on the armoire. It's a beautiful piece of furniture. Dan

Crossville, TN

Hi Pat....I remember you and Robert very well!! You ate at seperate tables...I was with you...most of the time....I table hop a lot....I think I might get me some of those BLING clothes!!@ LOL Jo

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Fleur... I vote for Eddie V's for dinner (always where we go for my birthday dinner, and other times during the year), but I don't think there's a bad restaurant on your list! Desert Botanical Garden, probably the Hummer tour would be fun... if you have a day for out of town you've pretty much got to do Sedona (although I love Prescott and Jerome as well). We're no help... just giving you too many choices! Taliesin (if you're into architecture and Frank Lloyd Wright) should be great, too. I almost got thrown out of there once while riding horses through the desert... back when that area was still open desert and not residential...(we happened upon Taliesin by divine intervention/mistake).

Isn't 'bling' jewelry? Sparkly jewelry? Diamonds?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL! I got tickled this morning over the "bling" talk! Not sure, but am thinking the term started with rappers and was referring to the giant chains/necklaces worn around their necks, then rings, then bejeweled money clips, bejeweled eyeglasses, bejeweled clothing, expensive cars, etc. Basically, anything flashy with the appearance of wealth. So Robin.....are you suggesting I need gold capped teeth and a giant diamond encrusted dollar sign handing on a huge gold chain around my neck to fit in? LOL!

I will stop hijacking your thread. Thanks to everyone for your input. You have been very helpful and we will certainly take these suggestions with us. Gotta go shop for some bling.........!
Debra

Crossville, TN

I'll start watching the yard sales more often! Thanks for the education....Jo

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL, Dan. Yeah, one of the small brass L brackets that go into the pegs to hold the shelf apparently started sagging and allowed the shelf to slide off of the brass support. According to Pruitt's and the furniture guy, those pegs are designed to hold only 35lbs. I had 2 heavy shelves under the TV, plus the TV weight. I'm surprised it lasted 3 years like that. And yes, it is very front heavy. The furniture guy will be here Thursday and mentioned something about installing a matching permanent shelf so I can keep the TV higher than the stationary bottom shelf. I'm more worried about the busted out side panel, though. I can't wait!

Too funny, Debra. In summary, BLING is anything that sparkles or shines. It can be clothes, shoes, purses but mostly jewelry - fake or real.

Crossville, TN

Then I guess I was already a BLING. I sparkle and shine after a few cocktails!! Jo

Phoenix, AZ

I was gonna say!!! Jo!!!
You don't even need the cocktails to Bling, Bling!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.