December's Daily Weather

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well today or tomorrow I head south out of the "Tundra" of north Ohio.
I had planned to leave this morning, but I didn't sleep all night. Now it's nasty out and I am give plumb out.
East Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Elevation: 615 ft / 187 m
34.2 °F / 1.2 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 11.2 mph / 18.0 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 19.0 mph / 30.6 km/h
Pressure: 29.57 in / 1001.2 hPa
Windchill: 26 °F / -3 °C
I may escape with a late check-out to this;
Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
71.1 °F / 21.7 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
I expect my ears will pop a time or two between here and there.
I really had a hard time with the choosing of a picture, but choose this one.
I loved all of those pictures though and as always send much love to everyone.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning!

Glad to see you headed south Sidney, although it's a 'challenging' day here.

It was still 52 last night when I walked the dog, but around midnight the cold front blew in. We are now at 30 with a wind chill of 15. Heavy wind warnings till 4pm. The snow didn't materialize though, but I had a feeling it wouldn't this far south in the storm loop.

We are part of that big storm system that has been dumping snow all across the mid-section of the country, but all we got was rain and wind. The wind is gusting to between 40 and 50 mph, but it isn't steady. Just a gray old nasty day...all kids are disappointed, as schools are closed with the slightest accumulation, and we got nothing.

Watch out all to the east...it's headed your way!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Woke up around 5 AM to the Tornado Sirens and pouring rain.
Checked the TV it was a T-Storm Warning and Tornado Watch. (Watch expires @ 10 AM)
Looking North right now it's Coal Black, East Sunny and Clear.
Windy as all get out here also. Temps have droppped from 55 at 5 to 46 now.
Supposed to hit 32 by early evening when the High Wind Warning expires.
Then a week of Sunny and Seasonable............ Indian Fall is finally over..................

Ric

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Today in my neck of the woods the temperature is 1 degree, with 12 inches of snow on the ground. But I am able to keep the greenhouse at 50 degrees. I only hope the electric doesn't go off, cause if it does I would be in deep dodo.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

pugdogs...I just noticed that you're in Winfield....do you ever go to the flatpicking contest? I've heard about it for years and my hubby and I would enjoy it I know....my nephew went this year and had a ball.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

WHOA 2pugs!
Keep it out there PLEASE!

Do you have a kerosene or propane backup?

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Just got back from school & it's heated up out there! Up to 68*! Too warm for me, this time of year! The wind is supposed to get much worse!
Melody, we will be getting the colder temps by early afternoon. Not much snow has been predicted, but if all this rain freezes! Ughgh! I will be staying in my warm little house!
Ric, Stay Safe! Tornado's are a scarey thing, for sure. This is one Heck of a system!
Andy, Watch out & take care of those pretty blossoms!
2pugs, Stay warm! & safe...I need to get in touch with my uncle...in Newton KS.

Prefer the "calm"...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I've been watching this storm come across the country in several threads. Some good pix posted in the "Coffee and..... " thread of an hours worth of snow in WI. WOW!

It sounds like everybody is preparing like we do for Hurricane warnings......all in all I will take the 'Canes. They come and go in short order (mostly), and when it's over you can clean up the mess, and, best of all, you're WARM!!!! It sounds like these storms are like our Cat 1 or 2 storms when the electric goes out and the heat dies, but here the A/C dies. But we can always get in the pool or ocean and get cool! LOL

I'm almost embarrassed to post our weather.

Current ConditionsReported from Fort Pierce 12/01/2006 10:53 AM EST
Temperature: 83°F 28°C
Conditions: Fair
Winds: S 13 MPH S 21 KPH
Relative Humidity: 63%
Barometer: 30.15 Falling
Visibility: 10.00 Miles 16.09 Kilometers

Feels Like: 86°F

Pati

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the winds are lessing but the gusts are more-ing!
Had a 60 MPH a few minutes ago.
The weird thing is it's a SW wind which is usually our HOT wind.
Seems all the OK and TX weather is sneaking in from behind.
Spitting snow but that's all we're supposed to get.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, everyone!

Sidney, wave at my family as you drive through Columbus tomorrow. :-) Please be careful!

Speaking of being careful, you, too, Ric!!! I hope your electricity stays on, 2pug dogs.

It is chilly and sunny here today. It's going to stay in the upper 50's during the day and the lower 30's at night for the forseeable future. Time to pull out all of my sweatshirts! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CST (50 min ago)
Temperature 40 °F 4 °C
Dew Point 23 °F -5 °C
Humidity 50%
Pressure 30.42 in 1030 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir N 10°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 34 °F 1 °C
Current Conditions Clear

(Zone 3b)

What a wild night it's been across the country -
Here, at 8:30 it's dark, snowing heavily, 20 degrees so it's warm enough that it's going to add up to several inches...this comes at a good time, as the snow from October, was getting very tired and worn looking.
Sugarweed, so glad to see that you're going back to Florida; the warmer weather probably sounds good..I was surprised but pleased to see that "my" browsing moose graces the thread. The sound of the breaking branches as they break them, really carries in the cold..
2pugdogs / Melody: Hope this isn't too stupid a question, but, what in the world is "flatpicking"? Music? Harvest?
kiska

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

76 degrees on the porch this AM. Now dropped to 68 degrees. Much too warm, with that cold air bearing down. Wind gusts to 60 mph and circular not coming in from the west as usual. Not too much rain yet but severe weather and flash flood watches until midnight. Stay safe all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we've got sirens all over..... Fire Dept is getting a workout!
Couple of downed limbs...taking out the clothesline...and chased a 20' x 50' piece of plastic around the yard....
l almost became KITEMAN.........LOL!
But other than that NO problems..........
Sustained winds continue to drop, as does the temp and we're seeing a few flurries..........
Gusts are lessening too so I'd say we're about out of it.

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad you are safe, things continue to pick up in speed around here. Still 70 degrees, thunderstorms, much too warm.
Claire

Well folks 50mph winds have delayed my departure one more day. Mapquest wants to send me to Cleveland first and then down I-77. Rand McNally wants to send me down I-75 then through Spartanburg SC. I have to do the trip in 2 days so I wont be able to stop at Darius' house, nor Melody's in Ky.
With all that in mind which one of these is the least amount of Mountains? I am thinking the I-75 route.
Gonna go get some things to snack on for my trip home. Let me know what you think.
I was without phone line for a while, so I'm hoping I can get back on.
Sidney

(Zone 5a)

Sounds like quite a storm there folks - hope you all stay safe! :-) All's quiet here and dark.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We got all the snow that is headed out east to you all. Down south of me supposedly they got 26in in one area and around here anywhere from 8-16 inches. We got what looks to be 8 inches. Haven't measured it yet. Those of you who haven't been hit yet but are in the path, stay warm and stay inside if you can.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The I-75 route will definitely miss more mountains than the I-77 route. Never mind about waving to the folks in Columbus, though - you're going to miss them, too. LOL It's too bad you won't have time to stop at DGers' places a long the way. That would be fun!

Thanks Marylyn,
Here is one of the pictures I tool at "The Lights Before Christmas" here at the Toledo Zoo. They were awesome.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

"Batten down the hatches" as they say and hang on for the ride you guys. Sounds awful. Take care and stay warm and dry.
No more frost forecast here for the next few nights.

janet

Observed at: Fresno, California
Elevation: 335 ft / 102 m

52 °F / 11 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 30 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h Variable
Pressure: 30.28 in / 1025 hPa
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers

And here is another;

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

It's been a lot of rain and wind here. Today it is getting mighty chilly. ...about32° Tuesday was so nice.
Only a spit of snow here so far. It made a large pond out in the nearby soybean field and the wind has blown up a huge bank of soybean stalks on the northeast end.....one of the unheralded "advantages" of no-till farming!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Straight down 75 to the FL/GA line Sidney.
Fastest, flatest amd straightest route.
You can though wave at me on the way thru Cincy! LOL
Ric

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, if you miss hanging a left onto I-10 to Jax, just come on down and visit me!!!
Pati

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I agree with Pati, I'd rather be in the hurricane belt, which I'm used to, than the tornado or blizzard areas. Those of you who are in those cold and windy spots, I'm sending thoughts of calm zephyrs your way! Specially Ric and Claire. Those sirens would scare me silly. You get so much warning time with hurricanes...
Joey, I said the previous Niagara photo from yesterday was my fave, but that one with the blue! Wow! Just pulls you right into it.
Sharona: We are also having a "lovely hair day" blustery, rainy, and worst of all, humid. Right now,
72°F (but expecting below freezing by Monday night...crazy!)
Overcast
Wind: S at 13 mph (earlier today, gusting to 40 mph, calm now)
Humidity: 83%
Sidney: Drive safe! Thanks for the light pics.
No weather to photograph today - dull gray, so here's one of a place I pass each morning on my way to work.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I did not send the wind. Honest! Why would I do that to my DG friends?

I like the "Lights before Christmas". Do you walk through the zoo to see them or drive around the outside, or what?

Here, the wind has died down, just a small gust once in a while. Very nice temperature. Humidity is still low and my skin isn't too keen on that, but I'll take it. I'm warm outside, and most important, I'm warm in the house. I hate being cold in the house. I'm one of those people where once I get cold, it's very hard for me to get warm.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 01, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
76 °F / 24 °C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 15 °F / -9 °C
Wind: Calm

This is a crepe myrtle tree. Our fall color goes on for about three months. (I've had people tell me that there is no fall color out here.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Wow, Sidney....those pix are cool. I would meet ya at Tamarak, but I think (as others do) it's more feasable to go 75. Besides, If you were to go down 77 you wouldn't run out of mts. until you got past Fancy Gap Mtn. which is on the NC line.
The wind has died down, for the most part. And the temp has dropped to 54* (now that's getting to be more like it). I was right...this morning I had to fight the car all the way up & back from school. Rough. But when I went to Blacksburg, this afternoon, it was already slowing down. How ever I did get some neat sky shots!

Deb, that's a really nice pic...The "blue" Niagara was kind of scarey at first...I was standing on a stone wall that was right up against the water!

Yes, Kelli ~ You Do have fall color! Are you really sure about the wind? I do believe that it mixed with the cold wearther that "Someone" in Moose Jaw sent this way! :-D hehe

Take care everybody!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

We were at 68º this morning, down to 53 by 3 pm, and now 41 at 5:45. Lots of wind, some rain earlier.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Calm and mild now.
I went out and replaced the Holiday display pieces that walked and all is well.
Be going out to the Hot Tub in a few...........

On the Tornado deal.
The sirens go off for Severe T-Storm warnings or Tornado so you never know which one.
This morning was T-Storm warning w/ a Tornado Watch.
A Watch means conditions are right but none are imminent.
My neighbors Weather Vane pegged 61 MPH on one gust.
No snow and little rain so everything is fine.
I've been thru Tornados, Blizards and a Hurricane.
I'll take the first two and evac definitely on # 3............ lol

Good Luck to all the Snowbirds!
Ric

(Zone 3b)

glad it's calmed down abit, there, ric.
The snow here has tapered off and really looks great out.
It's nearly 5pm, dark, 15 degrees F, calm and gorgeous...the moonlight will reflect beautifully through the clouds.
Sidney - the Toledo Zoo really does a great job with lighting - very pretty.
Kelli - been nice keeping track of your crepe myrtle, looks as if it's getting ready now for spring, very nice color. Speaking of color, love the pink glow in the bottom of the clouds, joey.
DebinSC - loved the garden gate and all the leaves on the ground in front...peaceful looking.
Pioneer Peak a couple of days ago, before today's snowfall...
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That's a good pic of Pioneer Peak kiska. Makes me wish I was there instead of here.

(Zone 3b)

7pm - 10 degrees - calm...fresh snow
Thanks pepper23, yes, it is nice here. Even though it's not been above 32 degrees for over a month, the cold has settled in over everything, and now with the fresh snowfall, it's quiet and beautiful.
The storms there in the lower 48 sure seem to bring so many problems with travel and power-outages; not too much here. Perhaps having winter conditions for months makes it easier in that things are geared around snow/ice and the problems they bring.
Hope the storms pass by there quickly....drive safely..
kiska

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sidney, me thinks you waited a day too late to start your trip south. The weather has caught up to your travel route. haaha, I peered at the opening picture saying "there's a moose in there" and sure nuff.

Sun all day today melted any snow it touched upon. That's the way of the desert. In the summer you dash from shade spot to shade spot. In winter you stroll in the sun and dash thru the cold shaded spots. On the highway next to the river there are parts that stay shaded and thus icy all day long.

Ric, envy your hot tub soak. Glad the sirens weren't serious.
Deb, looks like you still have fall there, even the leaves are resting.
Joey, careful out there., don't want you blowing away. Love sky shots.

Todays weather started out with a chilly 16* got up to a cool 44* and is resting at 21* at 9pm

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Missed you Kiska, 'tis true - those who deal with ice and snow on a regular basis are better equipped to handle it. your mountain looks so LARGE and cold too.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!

Sure hope the storm has passed without too much trouble!

We got SNOW!!!!! Not much, but enough to brighten things a bit. It's a beautiful morning, CALM, 33 degrees, cloudy and a light snowcover :-D Sunrise is at 10:48 (just about now) and sunset at 3:46

Great photos all! Debi that scene looks so peaceful! Love the lights Sidney - have a safe trip!

Hope you all have a wonderful day :-)

Rannveig

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning! Just opened the back door - it is a brisk and lovely 55 right now. We only recieved a couple of hours of wind and rain yesterday. Glad everyone made it through the storms safely. Not dark out, just gray. We had some ominous looking clouds for a while, but then the sun started peeking through at the end of the day.
Great pics everyone! Time for Santa's elf to get busy decorating a/k/a git-r-dunnnnne!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Everybody! We're back to normal with a great 34* & the sky is clear & Bright!

Kiska, I love those Mountain peaks! They are all so gorgeous! How much snow did you end up getting?
Lilypon, did you get any?

Rannveig glad you got some! I suppose the lil' girls are playing?

Sharon, nice sky!

I went into the woods yesterday and have another tree down...been calculating how much wood I'll (we) be sawing next spring. This pic shows the tree, but the Christmas fern made it!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I wanted to send this last night, but we just got phone service back. A small tornado touched down in the little town 4 miles away - never happened before in recorded history. Wiped out the local SHeetz gas station, shattered 70 yr. old sycamore trees. no lights, heat or phone service there for a while. Also crushed a factory that employed about 70 people - no jobs for them for a long time - and right before Christmas.

We got the edges of it and I watched the 'stringers' clouds,come over the mountain that separates us. Just a lot of branches down and no phone service until this AM. I did catch a photo of the sky during a brief clearing period.

Cold and windy this AM, but a lot calmer than yesterday.

Thumbnail by se_eds
(Zone 5a)

Here's a photo I took just before noon at 11:50 of the noon-sun peeking up over the mountains :-)

Joey - that's a big tree! Those ferns are so pretty! There's not really enough snow to do much with it ...... it's a very thin layer - the grass is sticking out here and there ;-)

Se_eds those tornadoes are the worst. I'm so glad we don't have to worry about those here .... I did a conciderable amount of worrying when we lived in Florida ..... I was so scared a tornado would run over our house ....... never happened fortunately so needless worry, but still a very scary thing! Sorry to hear about the damage. It's horrible - and just before Christmas.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Se_eds, Glad that you're alright! And glad that power is back. That is sad about the factory workers loosing their work place....a very bad time. 'Hope all continues to improve....

Rannveig, Sorry to so say...a Very large pine! We will have alot of work to do. I'm trying to think of ways to make pine mulch, maybe for sale. But to tell you the truth, I will be hard pressed. I'll be carrying 17 hours next semester, with 2 - 80 hour practicums.

Joey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.