Moose in winter

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have deer that eat up what they want. Except they sneak around a night. If they were out there like the moose in broad daylight, well they may not live to tell about it!
There were no deer in this part of the state until about 50 years ago. Thanks to the DNR they are overrunning everywhere. Most big cities have sharpshooters trying to cut down the numbers. People in the cities just give up raising some flowers. Deer love Hosta's. Iris blooms must taste good also. Rabbits eat off most everything else.
Our cat herd takes care of the rabbits.

(Zone 3b)

CountryGardens; I hadn't thought about the fact that moose are here day and night. Of course, in the summer, it's daylight nearly 24 hrs. anyway, so maybe that's the difference.
Sounds as if the deer are a real problem.
Kiska

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Completely wiped out 6 rows of carrots about 250 ft long. I had just finished hand weeding them.

(Zone 3b)

What a bummer of a ending to the weeding project. Did you plant more for them:)
Kiska

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We bought a very powerful electric fencer & fenced the other patch. That worked.
Had really nice carrots too.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 3b)

beautiful bounty - I'd shop there in a heart-beat:) Looks as if you're set up to sell that gorgeous fresh produce. Very nice.
Kiska

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

kiska...i just love your moose pictures...it's amazing the different animals in different areas....right now my daughters want mooses :-)
my son probably does too, but he's not quite up to saying mooses!

i'm hoping we'll have some wildlife pictures to share soon..we have hawks, voltures, deer, possum, some kind of snake(s) and fox....i'm the one who wants to see animals the most and i usually see them the least :-)
guess that's due to the dogs & our cat herd who follow me around like dogs...actually a funny sight waiting for the school bus!

please keep posting your pictures!
lynda

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
but he's not quite up to saying mooses!

Now this is, of course, a very serious matter . . . is it . . .

. . . one Moose, two Moose

. . . one Moose, two Mooses

. . . one Moose, two Meese

;-))

(Zone 3b)

larlienda; thanks. Kids do seem to love the moose. Glad yours do, too. I got a chuckle picturing your "herd" following you to the bus stop..that's cute.
I have a real aversion to the thought/sight of a snake - just can't imagine having to deal with that on a regular basis. Everything else would be fun to see. Hope you can post some..
Resin - I'll pass that along to my family - works for me :)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Country, laughing helplessly at myself, I've even had a couple dreams lately where a cow had me trapped up a tree. Seriously!

Kiska, that is a gorgeous head of cabbage! Here, the deer do the same thing to the winter squash.

Country, I would be so mad to lose my carrots. I didn't realize how well the feral cats kept rabbits down till they were gone. I swear everyone in town had one to four rabbits in their yards. All doing the bunny hop! Grrr.

Wow, the whole table of produce is impressive. YUM!

Lynda, that is so cute! Can't wait to see your pictures. We rarely see fox and I love them. Well, when they aren't in the chicken house. (DD'S)

Resin, smiling :))

Awww.

(Zone 3b)

It's still winter here, as usual:) not a new photo but a comment about the moose that has been sleeping under the deck. The deck is about 10' high w/pass through - like a car-port. We don't use the area in the winter, but my husband did blaze a trail this weekend. He discovered where the moose has been bedding down, not sure how long it's used the area.
Taken earlier this winter. Looks the same today.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Good place to sleep. I see just a couple weeks ago when going into areas we normally do not go in the woods that the deer were sleeping right in the trail where the snow was packed. The trail run through once with the quad, was kept up with deer tracks in the two tracks. Much easier walking.
I once saw a deer on a hot day laying under a neighbors hedge for shade. I really did a double take.
Moose under the deck, ha, that is a good one. They are pretty smart. (only doves hide under our deck).....ummm I think.

(Zone 3b)

cpartschick - smart deer, too, useing the hedge to "hedge" the heat of the day.
3* this morning, getting into the high 20*'s, so the end of winter is here. Into the 30's on Friday, after we start getting into the 30*s every day, it's pretty much all over except break-up.
Kiska

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I used to live on a lake that had break up, nothing like you get, but when the wind blew the ice they would collide and shards of needles would shoot into the air and sound like windchimes. It was incredible. Here we have the marsh out front and it just melts where the river comes in. Every day a little more water. Today, I saw wood ducks for the first time this year, and a little mink seems to be making his home under our dock.
30' seems to be quite a warmup for you. It must seem wonderful. The moose can go back into the woods again. Snow will be low enough to walk in.

(Zone 3b)

I love going to the river to listen the sounds of break-up. We have guests coming up from Calif. this week. She was really wanting to see/hear the ice on the river, she will love it, too.
You sure have a wonderful assortment of wildlife - love hearing about them.
Kiska

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, we are both lucky have the wildlife and beauty right out our windows. I would not be able to live where there are so many dangerous snakes, scorpions, etc. We have an advantage with the cold. Just enjoy this early spring before the black flies wake up. I am going outside right now.

(Zone 3b)

Have a good day - no snakes here, only critters w/legs. and that's enough for me.
Kiska

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

kiska - thanks for all the pics - I "fell in love" with moose about 10 years ago, and have seen a few, but do travel a lot trying to see some - they are awesome. Alaska was one of my favorite trips, hope to get back one day. I've even got my DH to plan trips around moose!

(Zone 3b)

debilu~~ they are quite impressive animals; the calves are sooo cute, too.
Where did you go when you came to Alaska?
There is a rv park just a mile from here, and "our" moose show up there frequently.
Moose in summer last week. My visiting sister took this as they worked their way around the yard.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

we were in Anchorage for the first and last night then took a train to Denali and spent a week there. Saw moose, caribou, wolves, grizzly, and sheep. And McKinley. I want to get back for some water activity and glaciers! There were forest fires when we first got there, but it cleared by the time we were leaving. I can't remember if it was 2004 or 2005.
My first moose sighting was at the Calgary zoo!

(Zone 3b)

debilu ~~ You had a great trip it sounds like. And, to see Denali in the summer was very lucky. We were up there during the fires near Fairbanks, too, and were unable to see much of anything, due to the heavy smoke, but did see wildlife.
Kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.