Moose in winter

(Zone 3b)

you all are gettting good at recognising "my" moose...this one is new to the neighborhood, and, I too, think it may be a bull..it was huge.
There were two others about 1/2 mile away right alongside the road, so I didn't slow down for a photo. They seem to be out and about more; maybe it's the extra minute of daylight now. :)
kiska

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for your photo montage of these beautiful animals. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

(Zone 3b)

Moose are always fun to see and fortunately, they come here frequently.
This was from a few days ago, in the back yard.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

This is as he came from behind the tree.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

You've got quite a bit of snow there. Looks like we're having a brown winter this year. My plants would certainly enjoy some snow cover.

(Zone 3b)

Yes, snow cover really helps, doesn't it? We've had snow on the ground since October 29th...
Same moose, same place.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Happy new year's day - it's been a great one as we not only start the new year, but it's also DH birthday...this morning, this moose was in the neighbor's garden.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Gee, Kiska! You are up awfully early! or is it late? :D I forgot that you are several hours behind me. That is one hefty fellow! Happy New Year & I wish a Happy Birthday for your DH! :D (does he like flowers? ~ I know some guys do ~ I could send him one!)

Joey

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Snowy and beautiful. 2 months of snow on the ground...how long will it last? We're due to be in the low 80s again this week...No snowballs!! LOL

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Floridian, when they're that heavy, wet stuff they tend to Hurt! :D

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hehe...Long ago I went on a winter vacation (a birthday present in the mid 70s) with a friend to the UP Michigan. We were in a log cabin on 40 wooded acres. One night we went outside to find a nearly full moon and everything covered with a film of ice. It was so incredibly beautiful I can still picture it after all these years. BUT...it was a vacation. I had to borrow winter clothes
Splat, splat!! LOL

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL!!! :D I would love to have 40 acres of wooded up there!

This is my dream house...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

Yes, we're four hours behind the East coast; we watched New Years celebration in New York, 8pm for us, then figured that's all we needed was to know it was new year in US. My husband would love flowers, Joey...he's a bit sentimental....I love your dream house...
Floridian: it's a beautiful place up here..the snow will be here till the end of April, and sometimes, on into May...but, we're gaining daylight so it's beginning to add up to a bit longer day. The thought of up into the 80's is way too hot....
no moose here, just our daughter's pretty driveway.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That's lovely Kiska. That's sort of how I remember the snow and cabin area in UPMi.
I can imagine 80s would be hot for someone from Alaska. I spent a year on a boat with no AC, through a full Florida summer. After that I couldn't stand to be in air conditioning, it was much too cold. When I started this job the boss had to cover the AC registers with cardboard and duct tape and I was still cold with a sweater. My how things change! LOL

Joey, love your dream house! What a view!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oooo, Kiska I Love it! That makes me want it (snow) even more. I want to ride on that road in a horse drawn sleigh!

(Zone 3b)

Floridian - summer w/out AC seems impossible if you live in hot weather...much less a year on a boat...
Music2Keep - that's a great idea - I think she would rather use a dog sled...when she was in high school, she had a sled and a couple of dogs; one being Kiska.
Time to fire up the chimera.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Neat-O!

(Zone 3b)

The passing school bus unnerved them, for just a minute, though. They stayed a while longer enjoying the trees/shrubs and letting me enjoy their company. (December photo)
Only a few more months and winter will be over - then, we'll welcome the moose of spring and their babies.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, they sure look close to your house!

(Zone 3b)

goldfinch4- you're right, they are right in front. They even come up on the walkway under the eaves to eat the currants along the walkway, or on the deck to get to the lilac.
Same day in December.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

How exciting - I have moose envy!

(Zone 3b)

Moose from a few months ago in the back yard.
goldfinch4 - do you have any moose there?
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

No we don't have any moose. Just lots of whitetail deer. And even after hunting season they are getting hit by cars all over the place.

(Zone 3b)

goldfinch4 - that's too bad for the people involved in the accident. I'm sure, like hitting a moose, the injuries/damage is substanial. Driving through parts of the Northern tier/Montana/Canada border last summer, deer were everywhere and are a real threat to drivers.
Today it's up into the 20's, from well below zero, and there are moose tracks all over the yard and driveway..maybe they're feeling more like getting around now that it's warmer.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I saw many moose when I spend a couple of weeks in Fairbanks area training with the army. We were on big old boats going up a river & back in June. Lots of mothers & babies feeding on the new grass in the backwater areas. One 2 year old bull chased us down the river when we got a little to close checking him out. They can run pretty fast in 2 feet of water.
I had a second cousin that lived all his life in Ketchican. He was in the navy in World War II & moved there when he got out. He was a building contractor there.
Bernie

(Zone 3b)

CountryGardens - that's neat isn't it - seeing the moose/babies - they certainly can be dangerous, though. Did you go visit in Ketchican? I've not flown down there, but everything I've seen and read about it, it's just beautiful..
kiska

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No, never there.

(Zone 3b)

Yesterday's moose in the front yard.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Same moose, moving through the front yard.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

They are so huge - just awesome animals!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I live in the down town area, of Anchorage, Alaska -- this moose and her calf live in my neighborhood. A Moose is like a cow on stilts! They are large, belligerent, obnoxious, neighbors. City moose can be dangerous, they do not try to avoid people or traffic. They dine on decorative trees and shrub. I took this shot out the kitchen window at 5:20 PM 1/21/2007.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The calf is almost as big as the mother now. During the summer this calf would play in the lawn sprinklers, just like a child, running back and forth through the cool water. The calf pissed on the walk, right in front, of the door the other night. Of course it froze, and I've been scraping yellow ice off the walk for two days now.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This is a 7/1/2006 picture of the calf playing in the sprinkler.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
(Zone 3b)

Grasmussen - love your winter and summer moose photos; too bad about the yellow snow :)...thanks for adding them..
Kiska

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow Grasmussen, can't believe how they come and hang around in yards right in town. I can see where they could be a real problem. You do have some nice pictures though - especially cute calf in the sprinkler!

(Zone 3b)

Moose in the carport last evening.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

that's pretty cool, not something too many people get to see :-)

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

All of the other people I know, who have moose in the storage area, had it butchered and freezer raped first.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Great pics Kiska!!! Their markings must make them so camouflage in the woods and snow with the white on their legs. They're beautiful.

I've heard they can be dangerously aggressive when they are with their young. Have you noticed that?

(Zone 3b)

Thanks, larlienda - We've had moose wander through the carport, but have not seen one resting there before.
Grasmussen- I know what you mean, when I called my son, his first thought was to fill the freezer...I reminded him that "sanctuary" is still in effect here...
fly_girl - you're so right in how they disappear into the woods even as large as they are. And, yes, they are unpredictable and can be aggressive. We've not encountered one like that, but we try to watch quietly and maybe that's helped.
I'm pretty certain this is the one w/the ankle injury. The deep snow is probably wearing him down.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.