Moose in winter

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, Kiska! What a unique experience!

(Zone 3b)

goldfinch4 - very unusal, but, sadly, the injured moose was killed along the roadside a few days after this was taken....sure hate to see that happen.
This moose was here 2 days ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Seward, AK

Kiska,
I woke up to the dogs barking at 2 AM yesterday and found a cow and two yearling calves with her in my Apple Trees, Birch and Currant Bushes making a real mess of them. Finally ran them off, dangerous and scary, but I grafted those Apple Trees in '95 and didn't want to lose them. Moose trimming the currants, though, seems to really bush them out the year after (this summer), so I'll just go out and prune the ragged ends up.
Carol

(Zone 3b)

ceeadsalaskazone3 - they take care of our currants, as well. This year they've really taken them down, so we'll see what summer brings. We've nearly lost the 4 apple trees. My husband also grafted several years ago; three trees are hanging on, one is "okay" and have lost 2 others.
Kiska

(Zone 3b)

Alongside the road this afternoon...orphaned moose..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Alongside the road this afternoon...orphaned moose..

Presumably easy prey for wolves or a bear - unless a 4x4 gets it first?

Resin

(Zone 3b)

Resin - sadly, a vehicle is how he became orphaned.. the deep snow in the woods, is causing them to use the roadways as easier access to the nearby browse. The bears, for now, are in hibernation, and we haven't seen a wolf in this immediate area. He was crossing in front of me...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

He certainly has a sweet face! I hope he makes it!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

These are unbelievable pictures!!! How absolutely the coolest thing!

Is there not some kind of wildlife rehabilitation that would take the orphan until it is older?

I've got to keep closer track of the Wildlife forum!!!

(Zone 3b)

caganimalover- glad you found the moose - as to rehabilitation, not sure about that.
He was here this morning, again, alongside the road. Each day I see him, it's a good day..
The passing car slowed way down for him...(taken from my driveway)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Kiska, just found this thread. I think I like the ''school bus startled moose'' picture best. It's the first time I've seen them in action. To have one in the carport would make you feel as if you gave it safe haven. I hope his ankle got better. It's great that even tho the kids are growing up with them, they still cast footprints as if it's all new to them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Grassmussen, I forgot to add that the sprinkler picture was so adorable and unexpected.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

kiska, Is the orphaned moose staying around that area to be close to it's mother or waiting for it's mother to return, or do you think it knows it's mother has died?

Seward, AK

Animalover and the rest: This is the age yearlings are usually being run off or intentionally separated by their mothers (maybe 1 to 2 months early) for the mothers preparation for spring calving which happens about May 1st (varies by a couple of weeks all over Alaska). The greatest danger is from traffic as Kiska will tell you. This calf was probably led to that area because of the cows knowledge of food sources. The calf will be less likely to stay attatched to his mom with an abundant willow and birch browsing area. (Kind of sneaking off while the kid is in the candy store LOL)
Carol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm glad to know that. Makes it easier to see him on his own. He's still sad.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Although this is the coolest thing I've seen and would love to be near all that wildlife, it would depress me to no end to think of all those (what look like babies) are being 'lost' (run off) from their mothers. Yearling seems awful young to separate. Cheetahs separate somewhere about age 3 I think. Seems like it gives them much more time to learn "the ropes" of life.

Seward, AK

They're not being run off "from" their mothers but "by" their mothers. Only a cow not pregnant will allow her young around the next spring. We call those "barren cows" only of "that year", and usually it's because she had a late calf and would not let a bull approach her. Those cows will accompany those late calves through the next spring and summer and will breed again that fall.
Carol

(Zone 3b)

ceedsalaskazone3 - thanks for info; I wondered why some of the moose had older calves w/them. There is a cow/w twins in the area, and they are older Guess they'll be replaced this spring even if she's not pregnant.
I haven't seen the orphan yet today and I've made a couple of trips to town; got to go again in a hour, so will keep an eye out for him.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Did you say his mother was hit by traffic? If he was still with his mother maybe he is too young to survive on his own and needs rehabilitation.

Seward, AK

caganimalover- Yep, he's plenty big enough to take care of himself. We had a 2yr old just drop his rather tiny rack (3 prong, somewhat of a splay [about 10 inches]) in the area. The bumps were bloody for one day (Feb 10th) and two days later were shiny, now (Feb 17) he's got hairy bumps starting to grow a new rack. I'll try to get pics of his development. Sunny today, about 27 F, weather should come above freezing in 3 to 5 weeks. Soon as the snow melts down the moose will move away from plowed areas and be less visible.
Carol

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! I've always wondered about the domesticated animals and livestock; what they do (if they) living outside?
I've heard that further north from Texas there have been many cattle dying from the cold, and I know it's not as cold as you have.
Do people have domesticated (dogs/cats) that live outside in the winter up there? If so, how do they keep them warm enough?

Would be great to see more moose pictures.
Carol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lots of animals outside. All our cats, & 1 dog. Many horses & cattle. They grow enough hair to keep them warm.
Not to cold this winter, but I've seen animals outside in -40º. No problem.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Then I wonder what the problem is with all those cattle dying? My husband heard about it. I thought he said it was in Colorado, but I may be wrong.

How do you keep the cats and dogs warm in 30degrees or colder?

(Zone 3b)

cageanimalover: yes, his mother was killed on the road. We saw him this morning, further from the road than I've seen him before. The snow is quite deep yet, but there's much more to eat deeper in the woods, so I'm glad he's moved away a bit.
The people I know have indoor cats during the winter. Some have outdoor dogs with good dog houses and heated water bowls. Our cat goes out for a few minutes daily, otherwise, she gets cabin fever :) Not many cattle here, probably more horses than cattle. They do have a thick coat during winter.
Taken in the front yard in Dec.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The cattle didn't die from cold, but from all the snow & blizzard conditions.

Seward, AK

It's true, horses & cattle can stand cold but need shelter from the wind which robs them of their heat. Only the nordic breeds of dogs should be outdoors up here in my opinion. Only Kodiak Island, some of the Aleutian Islands and Southeastern Alaska are suitable for free range stock.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Scottish Highland Cattle should be able to stay outdoors, they can tolerate very rough weather with their long, dense hair. They can certainly stay outside in Scotland all year.

Pic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Highland_cow.jpg

Resin

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

The Scottish Highland cattle are just one of many heritiage breeds that are becoming endangered as our food supply has become centralized and industrialized. There are many breeds of livestock that are adapted to particular climates. These have often been abandoned in favour of a handful of "commercial" breeds.

(Zone 3b)

There have been moose in the yard, but, because nothing's changed, (deep snow, same view since October), no new photos of moose. There is one now, browsing on the neighbor's trees.
But, a Grouse did come and hang out for awhile.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Fat little guy.

(Zone 3b)

caganimalover - yes it is :)
You should have seen it run across the snow as it ran for cover under the Spruce tree. It was quite skittish and checked out the open space for quite awhile before bolting towards it..
The moose from earlier today is now resting under the trees, chewing it's cud and just hanging out.
Last Feb., moose in yard. Looks the same now.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I bet that was a funny sight.

(Zone 3b)

Yes, it was. Little did it know our kitty, was watching very intently, too. She can't cross the deep snow, so all's well.
Here's the moose resting in the woods a few minutes ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Moose look so peaceful when they rest. I still think about the lame one in your carport. I can't believe he wasn't bothered by being indoors.

Saturday's ice storm didn't bother the birds. They were at the feeders all afternoon as it rained.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 3b)

billy - So pretty, is that a cardinal? I'd love to see a "real" one; have only seen photos.
The mom and little one spent some time browsing their way around the house yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

So COOL!!!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Cute expression!

(Zone 3b)

Thanks - they are fun to watch...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

How do you get any work done? Gosh I just know what I am like watching all the birds, if I had moose too I think I would just pull up a chair. I do enjoy your ongoing moose pictorial and always look forward to more photos.

(Zone 3b)

broots, wow, you have really nailed it :) How did you know that the chair faces out toward the window? That the sun-room is the most used room w/wide open views?
But, luckily, the moose have used this "trail" for more than 30 years, and I guess they all know about it:)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.