Moose in winter

(Zone 3b)

These are some of the moose that have come through, not just recently, but over the years...we always enjoy watching them..
kiska
alaska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Moose watching us..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Moose on the lower deck.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Thankful moose -
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

"Friends"
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Visiting moose.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Snacking moose.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

What to do next?
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

What wonderful pictures. And the captions are just great! Do you feed them, and do they do much damage?

(Zone 3b)

goldfinch4 : thanks, no, we don't feed them; we haven't done much about the natural surroundings, so the moose are eating what they normally munch on. They do like the currants we've planted, the apple trees, the raspberries and the last surviving rose bush...
I know there are probably deer in Wisconsin, are there moose?
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

We have lots of deer. Really a problem on the roads. No moose around my area but I'm not sure about up in northern Wisconsin.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Kiska I always enjoy your moose photos as does my DH. They really are magnificent creatures. I have seen a few in the field across from us & they are around my DH's bush camp.

(Zone 3b)

glad you're enjoying them - I just returned from my daughter's house, 1.5 miles from here, and there were 2 moose at her driveway. Twice in the past 4 years, a cow has had her baby there in my daughter's back yard...such a thrill when the momma "shows" off the newborn..Carol has some wonderful photos...
kiska

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Wonderful! Sigh! Someday I'll get to see one.

(Zone 3b)

I hope you do get to see one - it's like seeing any wildlife, always exciting. This one came by this afternoon as it was getting dark. He had some leaves, sniffed a few plants, then meandered into the woods.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

kiska, do you ever have any bulls visit your backyard ? Any photos ? Quite a few years ago, I visited Baxter State Park in Maine and saw my only Bull Moose with a massive rack. One wondered how he could possibly navigate throught the forest.

Thanks for sharing !!!

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Wow, what an experience that must have been for your daughter to see the birth of the calf, not once, but twice.

Come summertime when the black flies are so bad in the bush we often see them on the side of the highway.

(Zone 3b)

linthicum-we have had bulls come through, but have no photo..they seem uneasy and just pass by..last year one rubbed his antlers on the deck, but was gone before the camera came out.
broots-here, many moose are killed on the hiway, year 'round. The meat is salvaged if possible.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

There are also a lot of moose killed here on the highways & I know some of the salvageable meat goes to the Polar Bear Conservation & Education Habitat that is here in town. The polar bears really love moose meat. It's really amazing to watch the polar bears tear apart 1/4 of a moose.

(Zone 3b)

Resting between meals.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

A year ago, there were several bull moose that broke down a fence at the organic garden near our home, and completed the harvest of cabbage. Now, each time I drive by, I look to see if they've returned this year. Not yet, that I've seen...
Lots of snow today.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

A good moose track in the mud became a plaster-of-paris "fossil"
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for sharing these pics - I'm really enjoying them!!

(Zone 3b)

Thanks goldfinch4 - Yesterday there were moose tracks in the snow all over the yard, but I never saw them filled with the moose.
kiska

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What a beautiful place to live. Someday I'll get there...until then I'll enjoy your lovely pictures

(Zone 3b)

Floridian - I really hope you do come to see Alaska - if you drive up, as you come into the Canadian Yukon Territory, from there on into Alaska, it's just awesome to see the vast landscape...driving is long and hard, but well worth it -
These of course, were moose in summer....
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

My husband was looking at job posibilities near Ketchikan the other day...I think my Florida blood would freeze though I'm sure I'd love the area when it isn't frozen

(Zone 3b)

From Florida to Ketchican might be fun; there is no road to Ketchican, but think of the gas you'd save...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

This afternoon a mom and her little guy came by for a few minutes.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

one more of the little guy -

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Mom's afternoon snack
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

You certainly take nice pictures! That "little" guy sure is cute.

(Zone 3b)

thanks, goldfinch4 - I agree; he's a cutie..
kiska

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Boy if I had all that moose activity in my yard all winter I wouldn't get a speck of work done & my DH would never leave the window. Love your photos, again. Poor Mom, that doesn't look like much of a snack. Makes you wonder how they make it through a rough winter & I imagine you must get some winters like we do with the extreme temp's & heavy snowfall. Of course there are probably a lot that don't survive.

I have wanted to go to Alaska for about 20 yr now. Either the cruise or driving, doesn't matter. I would fly to Vancouver though. Just can't get the other half to agree to it. I'm not the least bit interested in the hot spots, except maybe Hawaii.

Enjoy your day......Linda

(Zone 3b)

linda - you're right about just stopping to watch them - I was in the midst of gift wrapping when I looked out and there they were - so left the wrapping for moose watching We just took a trip to Cancun, Mexico - our next trip will the cruise up and end up at home! won't that be cool...
The passing school bus startled them.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Enjoying being moose.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

This moose was meandering near the neighbor's yard, slowly munching as it went along.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Great pictures..hope to see one someday. They are so adoreable.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Kiska, That looks like a different one. Looks so much bigger, for some reason. It almost looks like a big bull moose.

Joey

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the moose "fix". I really enjoy these pictures! That last one does look big.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.