What's Your favorite Perennial?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris in the spring, daylilies & lilies in the summer, mums & asters in the fall. All the rest of my perennials are backdrops or accents. I like perennials that bloom strongly and have a nice variation of leaf color & pattern when not in bloom.

Germanic Bearded Iris do well for me: Dwarf, Intermediates, Border Bearded, Tall Bearded, Minature Tall Bearded etc. Siberians do well too, but judegement is still out on the Louisiana & Japanese.

Daylilies? Easy to grow--just pop them in the ground. I prefer spiders and big UFOs (unusual forms). I have to toss out some of the evergreens that have a difficulty adapting to our Iowa weather.

I prefer to plant my lily bulbs in the Fall. The Lily stalks have time to root properly and are stronger by the time the summer droughts come than spring planted bulbs. My biggest problem is rampant bunnies who love to eat the shoots faster than they can grow. Asiatics do the best for me and Orientals are the most delicate. Orienpets, LAs, LOs and trumpets do well. I'm now branching out to species lilies like martagons. We'll see how they do in my clay.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Hard to pick a favorite ! Love Colues, Hibisus, Dahlias, Four O'clocks , Plumeiras all types of vines !
our list can go on forever !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Large, long lasting fllowers , striking colors stop drivers and walkers by !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Plumeiras

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm in love !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Reds

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Whites go with everything !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Happy New Year :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Violet_Treasure, I love every single thing you posted. just beautiful. I agree with you on the show stoppers. Especially like your little furry friend, though, even though he isn't fuschia LOL gram ~a girl~

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks !! gram ~a girl~
Happy New Year !

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Today we got a beautiful bloom from a cutting of Mexican Petunia !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

It was a trade cutting and had been on our screen porch soon to go out into our garden bed !
Here it was on Dec 5 th.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

It's so pretty !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Great Picture's Yall!

Violet_Treasure a word of caution on the mexican petunia, Yes it's a beauiful plants!
Please remember this IT WILL take OVER your GARDEN with the right growning conditions.
Very very hard to get to distory once establish. So plant it were you don't mind it taking over. I have learn this the hard way, which I have dug and dug, use round-up and many other chemicals
to slow this mex. petunia down. But so far nothing has work! I love it but I truly planted it in the WRONG place. Good luck with your mex. petunia!

Happy New Year to All!!
Donna

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

WOW Thanks Donna
I see many plants take over in some States not in others. Even Morning Glories are invasive in some.
Wish some were in Florida . If it blooms and or pretty it can take over our gardens lol. it's Ok ! I think it's hard for a lot of plants to take over in Florida's heat and hot sun ? I know a lot of plants that do in other areas
just don't here. I know our neighbors were in a 55 plus neighborhood if it's pretty, flowers, tropical they'll want a piece :))
I'll have to make sure it's planted in a good place. I know our 4 Oclock's go crazy too. We have a Colues that goes crazy that grows well with our 4 O'Clocks they give each other good color !
We planted some other Mexican Chi Chi seeds I think they are fun to see what they do.
Last year we got several cuttings/plants of a different Mexican Petunia
one bloomed once and the others did not do much of anything :((
So I am hoping for a lot of flowers on this one !

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Are the pink Mexican petunias as prolific as the purple? I need to transplant both of mine, as they aren't getting enough sun. I just wanted to know the best location for their spreading habits.

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey pins,
Ok I have to purple Mex P. they are in morning full sun about 3/4 of the day and with in 2 yrs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW what a bed of them!! The soil is rich with compost and is water about once a week during the heat of the summer. For sure the wrong spot to plant them. I have dig them up 3 times by hand and they keep on coming back!!

If anyone is in need of some, I'll be more than glad to share! They are beautiful in the fall!!!!!!!!
I'll be getting my BACK-HOE this time when I dig!!
D-mail if any taker!

Donna

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Violet_Treasure you have some lovely flower pictures I've just noticed. It is hard to pick a favorite because there are so many flowers to choose from.

Cuckoo

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooo! I'm just drooling over everyone's gorgeous pictures! I have to say that my "favorite" perennial is whatever performs the best in my garden. It's easy to look great in a catalog, but when a plant can look that good under my sometimes neglectful supervision, then I love it! Here's a 'Wirral Pride' daisy that really struck my fancy:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's another beauty:

Tuscan Sun rose

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

And another of my fave's to go with my "sunset" color scheme:
'Lucky Peach' lantana --Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, this is my last one. I love, love, love pansies in the spring. I'm going to be starting some 'Antique Shades' from seed in February. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You'd love the author, Pamela Harper, and her color echoes theory. Great book!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

You know, you are one of several people that has recommended that book. Maybe the gardening gods are trying to tell me something. hehe Darn...guess I have to go to Borders and drool over all those gardening books. ;-) Tamara

No! Google it and get it used! It will probably be $10. or $12. plus shipping. WELL worth it.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

You were right...amazon had it for $6. Thanks!! Tamara

Hurray! I really think you'll love it from the pictures you've posted. It changes what you look for in flowers - for the better.

She loves Lantana!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

hey, zone5, I love your 'sunset' color scheme! I'm putting in a new rose garden and one side is 'sunset' and the other side is 'sunrise', although I really like the name 'dawn' better. here's some of the roses I've ordered for the 'sunset' side

Thumbnail by grampapa

Gorgeous gram!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooo! Those are beautiful! I don't have too many roses because I don't get enough sun. They always get black spot. *sigh* But the flowers sure are pretty! ;-) Here's my 'Peace' rose:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's Tamora:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

This is Happy Chappy in a hanging basket:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Peace is one of my all time favorites. There is going to be a little ' Peace' garden area in the rose garden with all the descendents of 'Peace'. .. Chicago Peace, Pink Peace, Desert Peace, Love & Peace, Glowing Peace, and of course 'Peace' herself! Tamora is beautiful, too. I get lots of sun at this house and I'm taking advantage of it.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Love these rose pictures above. I try from time to time to grow roses but just don't do well at it. the prettiest I've seen were growing in the northwest. That PeaceRose is very pretty zone5girl. I like Mr. Lincoln (red) and the Kennedy(white) roses I've tried to grow.

Cuckoo

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

grampapa, after looking at your ideas for rose gardens, you cannot get away with saying you have no imagination and certainly no one can doubt your sense of humor. I have 2 also. This first one is Scentimental, a floribunda

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

and the second one is cardinal flower. I actually started these from the wild. But fertilized and in ideal conditions, they got much larger than I had seen before.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my - I certainly have spring fever now! All these photos are so colorful. No pics to post as I'm at work (shhhhh) but would like to add beebalm to my butterfly/hummer garden. Any favorites or advice?

Debra

I have 3 shades of bee balm. One color is a deep rose, one is a scarlet and one is lavender. I like the scarlet over the deep rose, but the lavender is a nice bright color so I like it too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you have problems with mildew on bee balm? I've about given up on it because of the mildew, though I love it dearly.

sometimes, a bit. It usually comes when it's too dry (I know, that sounds backwards but it's the way they react).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.