What's Your favorite Perennial?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There were posts about where to plant Monarda to avoid mildew, probably last year but it could have been last spring or early summer. If I find the thread I'll link to it. I think it ended up as full sun but that's about all I recall.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Home and able to post......I enjoy my purple coneflowers. Bought seeds today and will try to start them in a tray for the first time.
Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

and roses...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

My farorite perennial is Pulmonaria Mrs. Moon . Early blooms, takes to shade and the leaves add interest. Also self sows but not so that I am over run by this plant.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I would love to find a pulmonaria that blooms longer.
Part of this thread was to say why you liked a plant and I failed to do that about the cardinal flower. It is very easy to grow and I have not noticed any diseases or insects bothering it. But the main thing is the intense color late in the summer and into fall.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

fleursdefouquet, what rose is that in your Jan 8th post? It is so beautiful!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

things are slowing down a bit here again...I've still got lots of favorites. like weigela. here's French Lace

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

and Variegata (this was taken in July, when it was still blooming!)

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a clematis 'Dr Ruppel' that was in it's 2nd season and never came up so I gave up on it. it popped up out of the ground in August and presented me with this bloom in November

Thumbnail by grampapa
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

There is so much to love and I have enjoyed seeing all of these pictures on this snowy (finally!) afternoon. In every season I switch to what my "new" favorite is. Some of my favorite "seasons" are peony, iris & lilium; they gracefully go from one into another.
Here is a photo during lily season. Ah, the lilies.....

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Lupine is nice too. The last few years I have come to appreciate this one more and more.

Thumbnail by magnolialover

I agree.

Edited to say I agreed about the lilies. Then I saw we cross posted, magnolialover, and saw your photo and mine - what a nice combination they'd make but they bloom at different times.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2007 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl, now that's a beauty! It would look great if it bloomed with the lupine, wouldn't it? How very complimentary!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

all very loverly, pirl and magnolia. I'm always drawn to pink

Thanks. Yes, they'd make a stunning garden "couple" but, alas, their paths will never cross. Ill fated romance!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Ill fated romance! LOL! Too bad. They would be lovely together.

Thanks, dmac. I believe that is 'First Prize'. It's one of several cheap ones I bought at Home Depot and does best when I ignore it!

Debra

Your "First Prize" looks like it has more lavender than mine. Guess I got "Second Prize".

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

pirl, I think it's just the way the photo came out. Does this look more like yours?

Yes, that's much more like it. Whew! I can stop having green eyes!

Yes, I am a great lily fan, but few of them made an appearance last year. I will try again to coax the up this year.
I had Lupines once, but they didn't come back. It's pretty rainy and acidic here; was that the problem?

Too much moisture will kill them but they're "short lived perennials" in most instances though we have some that are 12 and 13 years old.

I think we had over 100 inches of rain here last year. Is that too much? lol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

woodspirit, yes, you should order less this year LOL

Funny, gram!!!

OK, I ordered this from Park Seed. I think it is going to love our cooler climate and the rain. Maybe it will be my next favorite perennial.
English Daisy Habanera Red Tips:

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Southern, LA(Zone 8b)

woodspirit thats so beautiful!

I think I tried to grow it once before, from seed. I don't recall what happened but I don't have it now. I am not very good with seeds, but doing better, especially since I have a small greenhouse. Wish me luck.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Woodspirit - that photo is really compelling. I looked it up, though, and Park says "They thrive in climates where nights are cold and summers are mild" which tells me it won't survive our steamy humid summers, alas. Might be like delphiniums, which I'd love love love to grow but understand just won't survive here. Maybe we could treat them like an annual. Or dig them out each night and pop them in the fridge.

they might work for you in shade. I know daisies can tolerate some shade. Perhaps you have a place that will get only morning or late afternoon sun?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's my other problem -- I don't have very many spots that get sun, so I am very careful as to what I put there. It is easy to find shade, but it is likely I would have too much shade to make them happy. If you have luck with them, I might try them in a containers. I like short perennials . . . .

woodspirit - beautiful plant and I do wish you luck with it.

happy - funny! That comment about popping them in the fridge each night had me smiling. The things we gardeners will do to get what we want.

Here we have to grow delphiniums as annuals - tearfully. This year I'll share a tray from Graceful Gardens, with a friend - we always want what won't grow for us.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree, Pirl. We always want what is the challenge. I laugh when I think of the "Endless Summer "Hydrangea. Those who naturally have a pink one (based on soil alkalinity) want it blue. Those who naturally (based on the acidity of their soil) have it blue, want it pink. What does this say about us as gardeners??

We're fickle! That's probably why we keep changing things around.

We're colorists.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

WOODSPIRIT, I LIKE YOUR OUTLOOK!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is my favorite rose, Peace.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I also love creeping phlox.

at my old house, a long the drive way, i had about 30-35ft of phlox -- i had a carpet of color from late April thru Sept
and the gal that bought the house from us yanked it all out!! I was sickened when i saw most of my garden was gone.
(though she did keep the yucca, which is because i dont think you can get rid of it)

Thumbnail by tcs1366

We have vast clumps of phlox along our driveway, too.

I know the heartbreak of new owners and the atrocities they commit. The people who bought my old Tudor ripped out the magnolia I planted for my mom and the 1,069 bulbs going down the driveway - all color coordinated, too! Then the 50 year old Japanese red maple and the 50 year old pale salmon azalea...........the list goes on.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl, now that's gotta hurt bad.

I will never again go down that block again - never.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.