New Arbor

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I finally got around to taking pictures of my new arbor - here's a close up.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And here's a picture of the arbor - looking up into the area where I've been busy planting. The piece of hose is approximately how the path will wind its way into the gardens and we'll be adding a sitting area in front of the Hollywood juniper to relax and have a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Still alot of planting to do in the area bordering the path and guessing it will now have to wait until spring. Although I did get a Japanese Maple transplanted on the left of the path, it's a start!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

This view is looking from the beginning of the path looking toward the arbor. The bed by the cat are mostly new plantings and the bare area on the right continuing down the path is where I planted Hostas last week. This area is real shady and needed something to brighten it up - lots of new gold and blue Hostas to make it "glow" :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a beautiful arbor. Were you talking about planting wisteria to cover it? I don't think that would hold wisteria.

That's really going to be a gorgeous area. If you need more short, golden things, have you considered Japanese golden barberry? I have one planted next to my pond and it really does just glow in the spring and summer and has a beautiful red in the fall.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wisteria - no? I've been going back and forth, Wisteria v. Climbing Rose/Clematis. The Wisteria I have and it's ready to plant - but Rose/Clematis would have to wait until spring - I'm just anxious to get something planted. The arbor is really very strong - it's metal vs. wood.

I have so many ideas for this area and had wanted to at least plant something this fall. However we've changed our minds on the base for the patio - going with fieldstone for a more natural look now - and since the pieces aren't symmetrical like the faux stones I was going to use, I'm going to hold off until the patio is in place before planting. Thanks for the suggestion of the barberry - we actually have one planted in the gardens elsewhere and it does glow. I've been saving a Lonicera 'Baggeson's Gold' for this area which will create the same effect and best part is it's evergreen! We have one planted along our driveway and I've been wanting another one in the gardens and seems to me this will be a perfect spot for it :)

This is the view we'll have of the mountains when we take the time to relax on the new patio. Somehow I'm going to have figure out how to incorporate an area to include the metal frog sculptures I saw at Harper's this weekend so they can provide "music" for us :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Shenandoah Valley, VA

The wisteria I planted about 9 years ago has a trunk nearly as big around as my thigh. They can pull down a porch.

Very peaceful view.

Another very pretty lime green plant, and it's more or less evergreen, is golden creeping Jenny. It will invade but I have it planted as a green mulch in one of my flower beds where it's contained. Let me know if you ever want any plants.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Yikes - maybe I should reconsider! Although wondering which Wisteria you planted? The one I'm thinking of is W. fructescens 'Amethyst Falls' not the older Chinese variety - not supposed to be as vigorous and it blooms the first year.

The view is lovely, isn't it? We used to be able to see it from our deck, but now that all the trees we've planted are getting so tall, we're losing it - so this is the perfect spot to "plant" a couple of chairs for relaxing. There is a new house on the hill - just to the right in the picture - that was built recently and I'm designing my plantings to "hide" it without spoiling the view.

Thank you for the offer of the creeping Jenny - already got it :) I know its aggressive behavior turns some people off, but personally I like the darned thing. The walk around our pond has a wall on the slope and I had planted it to trail down over the edges. Although this was a tough summer for those I planted in the spring, the ones that made it looked so nice I just planted more!

This is the Lonicera 'Baggeson's Gold' that I'm going to plant in the area somewhere. Not a very good picture, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like in the dead of winter. It's foliage is brilliant gold in the summer - loses its 'brilliance' during the winter but still pretty and I really like the dainty foliage and the almost weeping habit.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've shown you the arbor, now I'll show you what else I've been busy doing to get this area ready for the past month.

At the top of the path on the right, this is what I started with - weeds! There was a really pretty Japanese maple here that I moved down by the arbor - it was going to be way too big for for this area. I did replace it with another one though - 'Baby Lace' that only gets 3' tall.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Although it doesn't look like much now, it should fill in nicely in the spring. Planted Ajugas along the edge of the path, some Hellebores, Fothergilla 'Blue Shadow' with a couple of Leycesteria 'Golden Lanterns' (Pheasantberry) in the background to hide the legs of the Hibiscus (behind the cat). The Leycesteria has gold foliage and the flowers are really unique. To the left and starting down the path toward the arbor, I planted alot of ferns and a few Epimedium. I already had some Epimedium planted here and they've done so well I wanted more! The thing I like most about this is area is my cat :) I brought him with me from Maine and he's always been in the gardens in the front of the house but he just didn't show up there - so I moved him and I like him much better here!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Further down the path is where I planted 30 Hostas! Here's what it looked like before - this is the Petasites it took me 3 days to clear out of the area.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And this is what it looks like now. In the background is a double flowering Kerria that's nice, but it was starting to spread more than I wanted, plus it was hiding the legs of the Birch that I wanted to open up more. Took me an afternoon just to get it cut back and dig up the suckers. It was a little difficult planting the Hostas without foliage :( Basically I went with blue and gold foliage Hostas because this area is pretty dark by mid summer and I wanted something bright that would 'glow' in this area. I'm sure there will be some that might have to be moved once they come up in the spring, but at least for now they're planted!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And this is the area to the left closer to the house. Crappy picture (I spliced it together) but I'm using it as a reference for where everything is planted! The red letters show what was there already and the white numbers show what I planted. Now all I need to do is map out the new Hosta area with 'tags' like this :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ooo, that lonicera is gorgeous!

It's my understanding that American wisteria grows a little bit shorter than Chinese wisteria and is less invasive but needs just as strong a support. I planted one last spring but it has a very strong pergola to climb on.

Marlton, NJ

rc, Thats one GORGEOUS property you have! Congratulations! As far as your Wisteria goes I would try to keep it far away from the house. Heres mine and its a real monster. We cut back the top twice during the nice months (that usually give us 2 bloom times) and we have to go the the roots with an axe! They try to strangle everything thats nearby. Ours is 40 feet from the house.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Crozet, VA

But Pelletory, that monstous plant of yours is also a real knock out. Have any more pics to share?

Ruby

Marlton, NJ

Sure let me look around, might take a little while.

Marlton, NJ

This is from closer up.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

And another.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Crozet, VA

Pelletory - Only one word can describe this pic..........WOW!!!

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

pelletory...how often and when do you cut back/prune your wisteria? It is gorgeous....I have had one for many years and it seems to bloom only every so often...... and yes rcn that arbor is wonderful (but not for wisteria!) I know you know that.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

levilyla, I know that now. I was just so anxious to get something planted on it - but have made the decision to be patient and wait until spring :(

pelletory, your Wisteria IS beautiful! Now I just need to find the right spot for mine - a new pergola sounds like an absolute must!

Marlton, NJ

We prune it (runners mainly and top) IMMEDIATELY following first bloom then again in the fall. Thanks glad you like it, the shots are a few years old so its much thicker now.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

rcn48: What a lovely arbor with so much potential! Personally, I would be afraid that Wisteria would overwhelm and may even pull down that lovely structure. Wisteria is a very vigor & aggressive climber that needs a very sturdy & strong structure. My thoughts would be to grow a beautiful Rose accented by a lovely (but not to vigorous) Clematis vine on each side of your trellis. What are your favorite color combinations? Is your arbor in full sun, pt. sun, pt. shade during the day? You might want to begin a thread on your arbor in the Clematis or Rose forum and ask some of us Clematis/Rose lovers for a few suggestions. I hope your beautiful arbor gives you many years of enjoyment!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shirley, I'm sure the arbor will look exactly like my "vision" - once I get something planted! It's basically in full sun, but is in a cooler area of the garden that should be perfect for Roses/Clematis. I'm doing some research over the winter and have already visited the Clematis forum - Roses will be next!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shirley, just wanted to let you know I finally posted in the Roses forum and I'm thinking I can blame you for getting me in trouble! I started reading the threads and next thing I knew I was placing an order with Merry Gro! I wasn't planning to order anything this late in the season but I couldn't resist! LOL :)))

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie:

I posted on your thread in the Rose Forum. I think Rose, Sir Cedric Morris and Clematis, Patricia Ann Fretwell will be beautiful together climbing on your arbor!

We enabled each other because I did plenty of damage at Merry Gro, but I had SO MUCH FUN!

Plant NOW! Fall is the perfect time for getting your plants established!! They will be fine!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.