NOTHING IN PARTICULAR PART 2

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

We were up to 257 posts plus pix on the last thread, it's loading slow.....so I'm starting another!

Relax, pour a glass of iced tea or a cup of coffee, or maybe even an evening "adult beverage", and enjoy! This conversation started on another thread about dollar C & S plants but went off topic many, many times as fellow C & S lovers discovered that they had million other things in common. This is a thread about Nothing in Particular where we talk about what is going on in our little plant-lovin lives. Judging by the last thread, there will be lots of laughter, a few tears and hand holding, a bit of venting, and tons of fun. Past conversations have included work, plants, Significant Others, straightjackets, spouses, children, pet rescues, tattoos, wrinkles, birthdays, and Carmen Miranda.
*****Warning for the serious: if Oprah makes you break out in a rash, if Dr. Phil makes you run out of the room, if you would rather roll in a cactus bed than watch "When Harry Met Sally," this could get uncomfortable for you!!!*****

Nothing is off-topic here, as long as it meets acceptable use policies. Be good and have fun.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I just wanted to share with y'all what was on the screen of my computer when I woke up this morning. My LH has been at it again:

Quoting:
To Whom it may concern. Danger!!!! My wife Erin who is normally a wonderful and semi normal some of the time person has a plant sickness comparable to opium addiction. Please avoid all vegetative and bulb transactions with her. The state of Georgia currently has her under scrutiny and is considering committing her to double secret probation!!! Be aware she is a loose cannon when it comes to seeds ,bulbs , cuttings etc.!! Like rolling a wine bottle across a jail cell!! She could be dangerous! I love her but I’m worried about her sanity!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Very funny, Erin! Your husband obviously has a sense of humor about your plant collecting.

I don't have a husband, but my roommate isn't exactly thrilled by the jungle in the kitchen. I think it's lovely!

Tampa, FL

Hey Erin, So glad you started another thread...i wanted to..but felt it couldn't come near your great intros! I felt you were our unofficial "toastmistress"... So my patience was rewarded...Loved the "blurb" hubby did....very cute! Does he know you are sharing it with us? I would say you are both gifted storytellers and much in love!! sigh..i just LOVE romance! sue

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I realized that the old thread was loading so slow it was getting clunky...

My LH is a terrific writer, that's part of how he caught me! And he loves to make me laugh.
It's amazing what a 2nd marriage can be if both of you learned hard lessons the first time.

I told him I was sharing it with you.......the slightly edited version.....
***blush****

He just rolled his eyes and said "see? that's what I mean! A DG addict!"

I did just get a little lecture about kitchens being for food and dirt having no place there.....I tried to explain the difference between dirt and soil but alas, I couldn't win. Of course he did buy me the potting bench and put it together, and I now have 3/4 of a large counter space to myself, I'm slowly gaining territory against his fishing tackle.....

:)

Tampa, FL

Since i didn't know where to post this..& obviously we are all animal lovers..here is a shot of "BeBop" my ragamuffin kitty...she is BIG almost 20 pounds..and the biggest scaredy cat i have ever seen!

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

ok, just one more...and i will leave you all in peace..i mean how many pet pics. can you all take!! sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

WooHoo, Part 2..!
Your DH's note is just too funny, love it, very, very cute.!
At least your dh was trying to differ dirt and soil. A couple of days ago I asked mine to pour the dirt into our raised bed, he was saying 'yuck' the whole time, when asked why, he said he's touching 'poop', no matter how many times my neighbour and I told him that they aren't even close to it. Unbelievable that guy..! Guess when someone's not into it, they're just not into it. Oh well, he doesn't know what he's missing..!
Sue, that's one humongous kitty, will she share some of her 'meat & fat' to my Bailey the runt? If Bailey didn't have all those fur, he's a stick, not even 10 lbs.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue, BeBop's just adorable...Love those eyes! And trust me, you can take so many pics and still think it's not enough cute ones when it comes to your pet..Keep 'em coming..!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

OMG, I have to show this to my DH. He will SO understand! Yes, he thinks I am certifiably nuts enough - after I ordered and set up the plant rack in the basement he officially calls it my "dope den" because of the fluorescent lights!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

My kids joins your DH, Erin. To them my DH said that after 21+ years of raising them, and abandoning house plants a) to devote time to them; b) to eliminate anything that might be poisonous, we were now going to return to raising houseplants again. They don't talk back and they keep curfews.

Here's a picture of our smooth collie Rocky, sitting by the grave of Lad, the hero of the Lad: a dog books. The estate is near where we live.

Thumbnail by bbinnj
Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG!!! Bebop is so cute!!! He's a yummy kitty!! I want to smooch that face!
If anyone looked at the contents of my camera, it would be 1/2 cats and 1/2 plants. DH thinks I'm nuts. I'm sure I am, I just don't mind. If anyone is going to dislike me because I adore my cat and my plants, I wouldn't have them for a friend! So there! (hands on hips!)

Erin, you are too funny, as is your DH.

Here is a photo of my baby Quentin. He disappeared when we went on vacation in July. My heart is broken! He is/was a big cat; it is hard for me to believe he got picked off by a coyote. He was a Love Bug, very snuggily, even though he looks grouchy:

Thumbnail by Jax4ever
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Jax...I'm so sorry to hear that!! Is Quentin a lilac point or a blue point? Beautiful head on him!!!

Ahh Becky...we forgot to p/u that plant down at the pottery for your "dope den"...LOL Next time!!

Erin - that note cracked me up!! I love it!! My teens don't even complain any more...ok most of the time!! THAT'S how bad it is in my house...they're accustom to it!!! I haven't looked yet, but did you put a link to this one on the old thread?

Tampa, FL

oh jax, Quentin looks like a ragdoll/raggamuffin they are so bigboned...i am heartbroken for you....he's gorgeous! By the way Bebop is a lady! I can't even imagine how big the boys get! Becky i laughed so hard at your "dope den"...well, if you suddenly stop posting we will look at the tabloids to see what happened!! lol.. BBinj, the markings on your collie are lovely..i am impressed you can get him to pose so nicely..Thanks bk, out all of 8 pics or so those 2 were the best...i am running around trying to get her attention...she thinks it is a game, so i couldn't get her to sit still..taking pics of pets is difficult..they are not obedient..(at least not cats!) You need two people.. one to hold the treat and one to take the photo..since i am home alone..i had to do both... ok coming up.... individual shots of all of my 75 aquarium fish and pond fish...they ALL have names.. Lets' see...there's "dead fish #1...almost dead fish #2....he-who-floats-funny......(it is an ancient indian name)....fish with one eye..........lol...

North Augusta, ON

ok..since y'all are posting pet pics, I thought maybe you would enjoy my recent family additions..LeeAnne

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

ROTFL - the names of your fish are hilarious - I once tried, unsuccessfully, to kill 2 gold fish - they were like the Energizer Bunny - kept going and going! I only have Betta's currently, they have all been named Bob, am up to Bob IV & V by now! (Our very good friend Bob just can NOT understand why we "honor" him this way!)

Will post pix of cleaned and organized "dope-den" - it's not so bad that he calls it that, but he has to show it to everyone that visits! "Here, come see my batty, OCD ridden, wife's dope-den"!! Hah, got him back with ordering even MORE plants! So there!

Y'allses cats are beautiful, I have two myself, big, 18lbs, mean Max and JB the little, 8lb, "love-nazi".

***Max, the 18 pounder***

This message was edited Oct 13, 2006 2:15 PM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

***JB and Bandit***

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Tampa, FL

oh Becky and Lee anne,, really wonderful photos!! I like that you both "color-coordinate" your dogs and cats! You just can't beat kttens & puppies...you must have a very lively household! sue

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

"The dope-den"!!

happy Hoyas (I hope), happy Plumies (I hope) and happy "others".

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL at those fish names! I grew up on a dairy farm, and every single cow had a name....and I knew them all! Since you are all sharing your pet pics of course I have to post mine as well....

Here is Ivy.....rivaling BeBop at 18.6 lb (just went to the vet this week). She's the first kitty I rescued from the barn, all but one of her littermates died. She's loves to be petted but hates to be picked up.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2171345400044472573VkWJBC

And here is my other precious kitty....Sebastian. Also a barn rescue, only surviving littermate. He is such a lover, but also a big scaredy-cat.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1452634936044472573pcPLrE

Next is my puppy Jasper.....just 7 mo old and already over 50lb. A shelter rescue with a heart of gold. The poor thing was on death's doorstep when I took him in, nothing but skin and bones. You couldn't tell it now!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2251833050044472573KRoIty

And last but not least....my wondeful potbellied pig Cleo. I miss her terribly as she had to move back with my parents this past spring. She didn't adjust well to life in the TX heat, and it was time for her to move out of the house. However, I had no place to keep her outside so she is living on the farm and is quite content.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1517828183044472573wYBTJf

Ok...I'm done now. Thanks for letting me share my family.

:) Kim

Edited because the pictures didn't show up....had to use the links.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2006 2:32 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kim - that pup of yours is a cutie - tell him he can come over and play with my gang any ole time!!

Becky - I LOVE that pic of JB and Bandit!! The dope den's lookin' good!!

LeeAnne - what a sweet, sweet pic...how did you get those kitties to stay still!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Tampa, FL

Kim, great pets, Sebastian has beautiful color markings! But you get the prize for most unusual pet...Cleo, is even smiling for the camera!!! You are lucky to have a place for her....our friend's grew so large "Rootie"..that fortunately they a alot of acreage..rootie would root up their entire landscaping...they sold that house and the new homeowner was thrilled that rootie was staying with the house...rootie is old but still living happily ever after! Cleo is so cute! Isn't this fun! sue

Tampa, FL

Sorry Becky, i forgot my comment about the dope den...i see you even have some room on the lower shelf...how'd that happen??? Looks great...i am paying close attention..in 4 or 5 yrs. i will be doing this..we are leaving for Tenn. this sunday for a few days..i am so excited i don't even mind it was 33degrees...!! As i type this my air conditioner is running 24/7!! Bringing warm clothes..even gloves..i am excited to go to some cold weather..am i nuts or what?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nope!! Much as I fuss about tending C & S up here...I love the 4 seasons...love the fall colors and the cherry blossums in the spring time....the Lilac each spring...and hot cocoa after a good snow ball fight!!

Tampa, FL

oboyoboy...You're getting me psyched......hope i see some leaf color!! I haven't seen a decent fall in years!!!! sue

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Speaking of cold, I actually had to turn the HEAT on in the house! When I realized the temp was 66°F inside I knew it was time!

Anyway - uploaded a bunch of pix if anyone wants to take a gander - three new albums, C&S, Hoyas and Critters!

http://beckysobsession.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Threegardeners, I saw your thumbnail and I thought they were stuffed animals!!!! Too cute!!!!

Chantell, Quentin was a blue mitted ragdoll. He played yin to Jax's yang, or whatever. He spent all of his spare time with his nose in a dish of food; the vet was getting alarmed because he was 18 lbs and just two.

Here's another shot of Jax, my only kitty now. He's a ragdoll, too; a blue bi-color, but he is really more of a lilac. I' m sure he will darken with age; he's just a big kitten now, at 18 mo. and about 10 lbs. He is much finer boned than most boys. Eating wastes his time; there is too much to DO!

This is as he appears behind me as I write to you all, because I set him up with a chair and a toy. If he's not comfy, he will reach over and claw me in the tush, which he thinks is hilarious!

Thumbnail by Jax4ever
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I had no idea rag-dolls were so incredibly beautiful - might have to rethink the next kitty breed :)

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Ragdolls are the best! When you pick them up, they collapse into your arms. They also have the most amazing coats; it isn't hair so much as it is fluff! SO soft, and it doesn't shed like classic cat hair. It comes off in little puffs that you can just pick up and toss.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Love looking at everyone's pets pictures. Aren't they so precious or what?
Kim (blue_eyes)....cute pot belly pig....So Cool..!

Tampa, FL

Becky, i LIVE in cat hair.....i love Bebop..and they are OBSESSED with their owners..that is one of the reasons i had wanted one. You can hug and squeeze them and all they do is purrrrrr. like big stuffed animals (in more ways than one)..i have 2 other cats..a persian which is very sweet..and a rescue "tortie" that is sweet but not affectionate at all...Ragdolls/ragamuffins (really same breed) have incredible dispositions ..and such beauty..but Melissa ...Bebop's rabbit fur coat is always shedding..it is so dense like a polar bear year round...she sheds more than the persian..she is healthy..the fur is so fine..it is everywhere. I brush her daily and the comb is stuffed with hair....that is my only compaint...pretty markings....Melissa, does yours lay around like he is posing for "Playcat" magazine...Beeps has no shame..she is always laying around like a (can this be said..."slut kitten") hope i don't get thrown off DG for that! My other cats are such ladies...this one NOT....sue

Valley Village, CA

I am thinking of getting a cat. I wan't a young one, not more than 2 years old. I am hoping to find a calico. I think all of your cat's are beauties. Cats usually can take care of themselves, but too pretty, they have more of a chance of being stolen. Those are beauties, are they difficult to take car of? Send more pictures your pets.

It's 5:30 and I'm freezing. Arizonia is still warm so thinking of sending some plants that way. I think I will need to go out and get some ski long Johns.

Be sure to start taking you plants in. Norma

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Norma!!! As much information as you have about plants, I probably have about cats. I was born with 4 cats in the family, and we always had cats, cats, cats, growing up. I'm 45 now, and I'd have a houseful if not for DH. I think I'll trade him in for a cat! I am a top-notch contender for Crazy Cat Lady status!

Cats are really low-maintenance. Exept when you are sound asleep and they decide it's time to play "king of the hill" and your body is the hill!

I would visit your local shelter and look for an adult cat who has been kept indoors. My favorite cat, Cabot, was a shelter kitty that was abandoned in Boston. Since he was a city cat, he had no desire to foray outside into the "Jungle!" I will never know how old he was when I adopted him, but he gave me 12 good years. If you keep kitty indoors, they won't get stolen. I'm wondering if my boy Quentin was stolen.

You will know the right cat for you. He/she will probably pick YOU for an owner. The most important thing to know is that cats act snooty because they are better than we are. They really have it all figured out! As soon as you understand that cats rule, and all you are is servant and can-opener, everything will be OK ;-) !!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh...Norma...this would be a perfect time for you to get a kitty!!

Going out to get my 2 remaining cacti pots tonight...suppose to get down to 32 tonight and tomorrow night...geez....we don't normally get weather THIS cold this early...

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Chantell....you aren't making me miss Ohio much right now....lol. My parents already had snow flurries. We finally got some cooler weather down here, very welcome after the intense heat of TX summer.

Norma.....I was in college for years and always lived somewhere that I wasn't allowed pets. Finally I just couldn't take it anymore, and when I moved I got my first kitty, Ivy. It was the best choice I ever made. They bring so much company and joy and happiness. She made grad school easier. I second the idea of a shelter kitty, there are so many wonderful animals out there that need homes. It always makes me wish I had a bigger place and more time so I could adopt more of them.

:) Kim

Tampa, FL

Norma, i don't know your age...but there is a program or at least there was ...about seniors..getting shelter cats...most of the kitties have all shots and are fixed and lower priced for senior citizens...they are great companion animals..contrary to popular belief..they (most of them) love just to be in your presence...our shelters let you visit and sit in the "cage" with any of the cats/kittens to get to know them...some are loving..unfortunately some have been so abused they will have a hard time trusting humans...i have one shelter/rescue cat she is sweet, but not as loving as my others that were raised since kittenhood with kind humans around...they have distinct personalities like us...go for it...i think you will enjoy the experience...cats that are kept indoors have a longer life expectancy..but there is litterbox duty..not all that pleasant....hope you do this...sue

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll trade dog doody for litterbox duty any day! I love my dog, but she STINKS!!! Fur, etc.

There are some sweetie-pie shelter cats. Norma, you may have to look around to find a good match, but I doubt it. Kittens are adorable, but they are so much trouble!!! Especially smart kittens. Plus, they stay kittens for about 3 years! I fish Jax out of the swamp, the dishwasher, the clothes washer, the clothes dryer, out from behind the oil burner, under the oil tank, etc. on a daily basis. Plus, he jumps in our cars if at all possible. He's a handful!!! Today he decided that on top of the breadbox was the best place to be. It is a very good thing that he is cute!!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Ms. Phoebe, our 18 month old Beagle. My son's best buddy. She's unbelievably patient with him, he sometimes would play rough with her, like pulling her floppy ears and such, but she loves him dearly. Always stays next to him. They're so cute when playing together. When one of them got yelled at from being bad, the other one always come by to 'comfort' as soon as I walked away.

Would love to have a ragdoll/ragamuffin sometime. Our cat is a little hard to please and never show appreciation...hehe.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2006 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by baileykat
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to know if it is okay for me to join. First I wanted to say hi to my dear sweet Mom. Hi Mom.

Then I wanted to tell you guys about my sweet baby. I have a beautiful dog named Zackary, a full blood border collie. He is now 11 and is my baby. He is so smart and does everything he is told, unlike most kids these days. He never whines or complains, but does bring me his bowl when it is empty. I thought about getting him one of those nice, pretty ceramic ones but decided against it because he would not be able to pick it up and bring it to me. It's more than that: he brings it to me and slams it down on the floor in order to get my attention if I am not looking right at him. It really is cute to watch him do that.

Zackary is our miracle dog. He has survived rat poisoning, a bad bad case of lead poisoning that should have killed him, having his foot slashed open and having to wear a cast for two weeks, and being hit by a car. For those of you that are believers, the day the car hit him I could see an angel hovered over him with his wings protecting him from being hurt. The way that he was positioned under the car was impossible and the Lord sure was looking after him that day and all the other times we should have lost him. He almost died from the lead poisoning because 3 different vets told me that he could not have lead poisoning. But when we took him to see the third vet we prayed for the Lord to give this vet wisdom in knowing how to treat him. And as it turned out, he did something that he never usually did and realized that it was lead poisoning. So...Zackary is our miracle dog and I pray that he will be with us a long time.

Below is a photo of my dear Zackary. He is my baby and I would do anything for him. I even gave him a bath yesterday and he was so pretty afterwards. His coat felt like silk and he was so shiny and his fur crimps after he has had a bath. I did not get any photos of him but I have some other ones I can post. I want to brag on my baby too.

I read on the other thread where you guys were talking about hormones. Speaking of that, how old do you have to be to start out on this peri or premenopause. I think I'm somewhat near it since I have been having the hot flashes and I can get so irritable as to take my DH's head off at times. Plus my memory sucks big time.

I really do like this thread and would love to be a part of it if that is okay. It is nice for us C & S lovers to be able to talk about other stuff too. It was a great idea.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Tampa, FL

I don't know Jesse, if we should let you join..first you must be completely obsessed with SOMETHING!! Preferably plants, animals, kids, doing creative things...like to talk alot...you must divulge completely personal stuff....vent about your day....complain about a few things... laugh a lot.... have some job problems... be supportive to the rest of us lost souls.......decribe some pet peeves... we have even had a courageous male cruise through...but i think the estrogen fumes chased him off??..be completely silly at times.. gripe or praise about your significant other....i see you already got the "hormone" questions down..thats a plus!! having a cute pet is also going to get you points....into this very exclusive society...ok, we're reviewing your records.....drum roll........you're IN!!! Wow, congratulations!!!! are you ever a lucky girl..we don't just let anyone into this holy of holy places you know.....(big chuckle!) Welcome!!!! This thread our "toastmistress" Erin has started is always a fun place to chat! In regard to your question of when the dreaded "change" occurs...can be anytime..hot flashes are such a delighful way to start...memory loss..irritability...from mid 30s to forever.....arghhhhh......depends on your personal makeup...sounds like it's starting......bummer! but you have alot of company! so don't feel alone....sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.