This is my bubbler

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I wanted to share my set up and see what others think about it! The two containers are the same size, but the angle makes one look smaller. They are about 18x24x6 each. They are from wal-mart and I think they were $8 each.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:16 PM

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I used a double outlet aqarium pump from wal-mart...$10

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:17 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Attached the air line ($2.50) to the pump and then then the check-valves that came with the pump. Another piece of air line is attached to the other end of check-valve and the to two-way splitters ($2.50 ea).

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:26 PM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool and easy to construct (that part I REALLY like) set up yardqueen!--one quick question--did you just cut some water bottles to make the individual sections? Do you think maybe a hot glue gun would hold them together? I can't tell how you have them attached there.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:29 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

The splitters with knobs for air flow adjustment. They will hang on the outside of the tub.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 3:49 PM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 6:44 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Each of the two way splitters are attached to another piece of line which is then attached to 10" airstone bubble bars ($3 or $4 ea) Two bubble bars go in each tub. One at the front end and one in the middle.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

dmj, I am about to get to that part... sorry but my computer is on dial up and it takes about 20 min per picture! LOL

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

the one in the middle

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I use the plastic boxes with holes for water/air flow $1.00 ea at wal-mart. There are 4 in each tub

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I cut out the sides of small empty water bottles

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

and put 9 in each of the plastic boxes that have the holes

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Whew!!! I took 2 1/2 hours to post this. I'm through with DIAL UP!!!

Hey, I just realized that it took me a LOT longer to post this than it did to set up the bubbler including the shopping! And it is an hour round trip for me to get to wal-mart....ROTFLOL

Carol

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 5:29 PM

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Carol, Know what you mean about dial up. After I joined DG. and had so much trouble with getting kicked off line and taking sooooo long to open a picture or even get mail. I closed my eys and bit the bullet, as DSL was offered for about about $12.00 more per month. And we can get phone calls even while online. You just won't believe the difference.
Do you use a root hormone or hydrogen peroxide to help with the rooting.
I like the setup you have made. Ihave some things I want to root also. so will be useing some of your idea.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

So far I have just used som H2O2 in the water. I probably could use more than I do, but I am afraid because just a little too much and instead of helping it detiorates. I can't get DSL here I don't think

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol! WOW that is a great and cheap set up! Less complex than other do it yourself bubblers I have seen. You should get the Nobel Prize for Science and for patience since it took so long to download. I know the joy of high speed internet, get mine along w/ cable TV and couldn't live w/ out it. Hope it comes to your area soon!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I can get it from direct tv which is what I have or dish network whichever gives me the best deal,,,

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks Carol; Your input and ingeneuity. I'm sure will help many.
I remember someone giving measurements of how much H2o2 they used. Given some time this afternoon I will try locate that forum. It may be in an artical that was on line, under willow water ??? Not sure

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thats ok... I have the article in my DG diary... It is just that I want to be extra careful because I have a lot of things I don't want to lose in there.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Your presentation was excellent. Thank you for taking the time to upload the pictures for us.

Judy

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

!/2 cup to 1 gallon of water is that about what you are useing????
Thanks

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought it was 1oz to 1 gal for rooting?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well I guess Someone uses more. But if the 1oz is working . I would say why use more?

Just my opinion, but for what it's worth, the least amount that works is the right amount.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Some have said that they don't use it at all with their bubbler. I really think that heat would help but I don't know what to use for heat with my bubbler.

Well I don't know but what about a heated seedling mat under the bubbler or what about an aquarium heater? Not sure if either of those would work.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I had wondered about the aquarium heater but I dont think they make the water that warm. I wondered about the pad, but I don't know it that is ok with my plastic containers?

I think, though I don't own one, that some of those pads come w/ thermastats so you could be certain to set it below melting point. Since most of those plastic containers are dishwasher safe on top shelf and most hot water heaters are set to 120- though that's not constantly on the container, would seem like you could try one and start at a low temp then move it up little by little- I don't know, after you've put all that work into it, I'd hate for anything to go wrong. How much heat are you looking for?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know! LOL I just know that when I root things outside in the heat they root a little faster, In the house the water is pretty cool.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Super set up, I like the bottles and the square little tubs with the holes in side.

You need to download the irfanview program from the internet, It will allow you to find your pictures on your computer and resize them, when you resize your pics (I resize mine to 320x280 ) your upload time is cut 3/4 youll be amazed. I am on dial up too, and no chance of DSL for a while. It takes me 2 minutes to upload a picture now. I downloaded that program off the net free. Just typein Irfanview to download. Trust me it's well worth the hour or so to download when you can upload pics in 2 min or so.

I have put together a bubbler, but I like yours better LOL, I do recommend a heater though, set on 70 degrees, I got an aquarium heater for 8 to l0.00 at walmart, and I got the pump just like yours, Need to redo the hoses like yours though.

thanks for the pictures. You've inspired me to getmine back out and MAKE it work.

kathy_ann

Lindale, TX

Cool Mom! I'm trying to find out about starting my herb seeds indoors. I've never had a lot of luck starting seeds, they usually die :(. Anyway, your plants are really growing well in your "Bubbler".

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I meant to ask too, How tall are your outside plastic containers? How much water do you have in there ? and do you have anything added to the water?

kathy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy,

So will an aquarium heater raise the temp enough? I didn't know it it would or not, I don't even know what the water temp is in my bubbler now. I guess I need to get a thermometer. I had all of the stuff, heater too, but I dont know what I did with it...LOL

Carol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's what I bought an acquarium heater. Mine did the trick. someone said the water temp needed to be 70 degrees.

great pics carol

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

First let me say how wonderful of yardqueenCarol to share all this with us. I used it as a step by step guide! Most of my cuttings are too fat for water bottles, so they tend to fall over but I'll think of some other way to keep them upright. I do have some questions about propagating with this method:

KathyAnn, just answered one of them. My water temp last night was 80 so I have time to get an aquarium heater I guess. Thanks Kathy!

Right now I have 11 brug cuttings in there, a wonderful gift from a fellow mid-south gardener. I see tiny little white dots on the submerged parts. I assume these are the beginnings of roots. I also have new leaves coming out above the waterline. Should these be pinched off?

One of the cuttings has the Y under the water. Is this no good?

I am reading how easy brugs are to propagate. (A couple days in water and then plant in soil!) so I am not sure why everyone is telling me to that I needed to put together a bubbler. Don't get me wrong, I love this little contraption! How long should the cuttings stay in the bubbler?

What other plants can be propagated this way?

I am eager to learn more
carol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

HI Carol, there are some brugs, for instance I have trouble rooting mountain treasure and axel rose, that the bubbler would be superb for in rooting these. Alot of folks just have trouble rooting them, some don't.

I fixed my set up for the brugs I have trouble rooting in soil. the ones that keep rotting on me constantly. I"m tired of loosing them to rot.

YOur right, white nubbies are roots starting to form, I would think it took more than a couple days to see those white nobbies though.

Other plants can be propigated this way, anything you can root in water would be great rooting this way, also, The other carol, looks like she had some other plants in her bubbler from her picture.

I'm going to get the stuff and finish putting mine together like carol's I really like the way she's set hers up, and it's not costly either I don't think. Her inside boxes are a great idea, and I love the water bottle idea, if you don't have brugs or plants that aren't too big for their holes LOL

kathy

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I have now forbidden DH to throw any water bottles out! lol He and his daddy are pack rats and save all kind of junk so they see this as me finally coming around to their way of thinking.

Quoting:
Your right, white nubbies are roots starting to form, I would think it took more than a couple days to see those white nobbies though.

Ahhhh but I've always have lots of luck with cuttings....and lets see...I got them last Friday, so white nubbies in 3 days. :-)

So should I leave the new leafletts on? Normally one discourages leafing out until the roots are strong enough to support them, yes?

hmmm...experiment time! I have 2 Biltmore Black Coleus cuttings - will move one into the bubbler. We'll see which develops faster.

If you haven't gotten the pump yet, get a double one. I didn't and wish I had.

OK I have a gazillion wonderful daylily seeds to sow today. Will check back later for answers to all my silly questions.

Carol the happy gardener

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Carol, (justforkids)

"Most of my cuttings are too fat for water bottles, so they tend to fall over..."

When mine are like that I cut the neck of the water bottle to increase the diameter. You can also stick them in between the bottles.

Carol

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Ahhhh....I must have missed that part. Thanks Carol. Thanks for all your guidance!

justfurkids carol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yardqueen, I'm headed to town tomorrow, going to look for those inside containers at walmart, and see if I can't get my bubbler back out, though I've not much to put in it right now LOL

But it will be ready for future use.

I normally don't take off any leaves that come forth when the Stick is rooting.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't think you would have any problem with using a heat mat. I put plastic flower pots on the heat mats and they don't melt. I wouldn't think one of those large plastic containers would melt on one of those mats. I have never done it, I don't know if the weight of one with all the water in it would make any difference or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.