Most mornings are frosty up here
(7 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

We usually get our first frost here near the coast, in November

X

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

My "official" 1st frost date is around mid November.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Where I live in KY it could be most any day now. Am really not looking forward to it....my flowers have been gorgeous this year.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

If we could really predict when our first frost would be wouldn't that be wonderful. In our climate the time for the first front is usually about the 1st week in Dec. It could anytime between Halloween and January (if we indeed have one at all.)

Ann

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Usually mid to late October here for the first light frosts.

Resin

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

I've lived in Lancashire and been burried in snow! but now in Central Florida I haven't seen a frost, been here 2 years.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Usually mid to late October for first frost in my neck of the woods, and I'm not looking forward to it!

Lake Villa, IL(Zone 5a)

IT'S COMMING!!!! Which reminds me. . . why am I spending so much time online? There's work to be done.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

May get a frost during the winter, may not.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had a real light frost Sept 18, none since. Touched a few things in the low ground, otherwise everything made it.
Our flowers are nicer now than all summer. We got a good rain mid Sept. Sure brighten everything up!
Full moon is due soon. That will probably give us a good killing frost.
Bernie

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Could be any day now. The low lying areas around have had a frost. We're 'winterizing'. The sprinkler system was shut down last week and this week the pool closes (not that we've been in it lately). Still have a few perennials to plant. It's been so rainy & windy it's tough to find the time to get outside and get it done around my work schedule. Hope it's not too late.

Today is sunny and tomorrow is supposed to be 75 (low in the 60's), but that won't last)

gram ~a girl~

(Zone 1)

Here in Daytona Beach, Florida, we don't get frost until January or February, and some years if we have a very mild winter, we might not get frost at all. When we do have cold temp's, it doesn't last long!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Average first frost date here is Dec 1 and last avg frost date is Feb 28. Never stays cold long--usually just a few hours, at most.

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

Where's the "First frost date? I'm clueless!" catagory. I wish I knew for sure -- it would help me with my planting schedule. :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

We've had frost adviseries, but it didn't happen (thank goodness.) It looks like we're in the clear for at least the next week.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Usually late October or early November here - seems to me it might come early this year. But I'm new in Ga and to gardening so what do I know!

~Sunny

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm with grampapa. Things can be unpredictable here. I'm expecting frost any day now, but not tomorrow. Supposed to be 75..Yippee

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I think we only had two mild frosts last year. Just enough to cover the more sensitive tropical plants.

Hineni - I'm heading up your way toward the end of October for a week.... could ya hold off on the frosts til November?? heehee

gloriabythelake - I was born and raised about an hour west of you. I miss the summers and fall, but don't miss the winters too much :-)

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

....what's a frost??? LOL

Seriously, we hardly ever have anything similar here in Lisbon. On some winter mornings, you get to see the thinnest layer of crushed ice that starts to melt the moment it touches the ground.... and that's it. Last winter, much to my delight, it SNOWED here in Lisbon! That was absolutely wonderful, it hadn't snowed for 50 years!

I love cold snow weather and I wish it would happen again this year (it won't, I know... :-(

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Frost??? Oh my, we're usually still using the air conditioner at Christmas here in Houston. Our winter lasts for about six weeks and that's in Jan and Feb. We're predicted to have record high temps this week with the highs still in the 90's daily. At this point, I'd love some cooler weather. I really envy those Pacific northwest gardeners!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm with crow on that one...a frost?? Not for a looong time yet. It will be in the mid 90's here all week....high humidity....first frost around here is usually late November/early December. Sometimes early January. :)
Melanie

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

In the UK, its usually late October when we get the first frost!!!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

For those of you who don't know when your first frost usually comes you can go here to find out:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/index.html

X

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I chose not for a while - still pretty warm (expected high of 94 today) thinking it would be in Nov. but, according to the chart provided by X's link above, should have chosen the next one - later this month! The chart says average first frost 10/27. Thanks for providing the chart!

Debra

New Caney, TX(Zone 8b)

Still in the 90's here..

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

some of our trees are already turning. ;)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Still in the 90's here

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We had enough snow on September 17th to make the ground white, and frost to go with it. We've had a couple other light frosts since, but one day last week we had ice on everything in the morning. I think it was Monday. Pretty much everything was done after that, but there's still some tough things that are hanging on and blooming still. The last few days have been in the lower 80's.

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't know exactly how to vote, if the second one would have said, "Not for a long while, our SECOND spring is just beginning." That would have been Port Lavaca. We have had some cooler temps than usual in Sept. I don't know if that means our winter will get here sooner. First frost is usually mid Dec. to mid Jan. if "at all" as plantladyhou wrote.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I voted for not ever, though that isn't quite right. We go years without a killing frost but get non-killing frosts every year. I've never paid attention to when the first non-killing frost is, but I'd guess mid to late December.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

According to Xeram's chart, my first frost date is 10/11. But I don't believe it will happen this year! We've got record high temps this week. I'm thinking maybe the first couple weeks in November...

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Had some frost advisories here but it missed us. The tree in the backyard changed color a while ago and has now dropped over half of its leaves. Was out raking yesterday. Today we have temps near 80 and severe thunderstorms in the area. That first frost is probably going to be here in about a week. Brrrrrrrr. Hate winter!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Had a light frost that took out most of my morning glories, but not enough to keep them from their first flush of bloom (go figure). But that's it. Just enough to make it Indian summer. Everything's beautiful here, and warm. 80 as I write. First frost date is October 10th, so it could get worse any time.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I was told in my Master Gardening class that the average first frost date here is Oct 11 but like Flowrlady, we're having a warm spell that I hope will last a while. I find Xeramtheum's chart date much more aggreeable at Oct 27 :-)

I understand the first Hard Frost date is late November so its gonna be a long cold winter for this misplaced FL girl!

justfurkids carol

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Average first frost is Oct 15 for us, but it's probably going to be a bit later this year. Our first killing frost is sometime in mid November...I can usually scrounge the last flowers from my garden for the Thanksgiving table.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Heat index was 92 today....don't think we are getting a frost anytime soon.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Our first frost is usually around Halloween.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's 80 something here today, to stinking hot for Oct. Box elder bugs & Asian lady beetles are having a ball!
I noticed I am in the small minority of people that have had frost.
I don't know how far this reaches, but the WollyBear catipillers predit winters here. The wider their color band, the harder the winter. The band covers the whole thing! Only a very little showing on each end. So this warm spell right now might not mean anything as far as winter goes.
Bernie

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

None of the answers fit! We skipped spring and went right to summer in April, and it was still mid-90's today with high humidity. We will have frost around Thanksgiving and a little bit of winter in January, and then back to summer. So I chose "Not for a while" and wanted to cross out "warm" and type "HOT"!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.