new GH

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i bought a new Farm Tek GH some time ago http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468099/
but health reasons have kept me from putting it up
i have finally found the time & strength
first i picked a location & laid out a foundation base
Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

leveled the base & put down a ground cloth

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

opened the boxes to take inventory

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

re-read the instructions for the 50th time & laid out the tools

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

laid out the parts to see how they go together

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

bolted all the parts for the 2 ends

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

bolted up the sides

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

the previous were done over a period of a cpl of weeks
today i bolted them together, it took all day by myself
i used string to hold the sides & ends up while bolting them together
so this can be done by one person :-)

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i will add picts over the next few days as i finish it

Dick

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

You are wise to make a photo record of your project. Too often I forget to document what I've done. That looks like a nice GH, quite reasonable, and apparently not too difficult to install. (...and, excuse me, you actually read the instructions!)
Keep us informed.
Dave

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Dick...waving from your old stomping grounds. ~~~~~~~

I really like your GH and sure am jealous. Looks like your going to have another part of your dream come true soon. I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your new home. Please tell your lovely wife I said hello also. :-))

Donna

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi Donna
i love it here but sure do miss the tropical weather of Orange county
i have to have the GH for what i use to keep in the back yard :-)
i lost 75% of my orchids in the move in Feb during a record cold spell
but there are some plants that thrive here you can't grow :-)

stop by for a visit if your in the area

Dick

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about all of your orchids. :-( I guess a GH is mandatory for your zone for tender plants. I do love living in SoCal, just for the weather. I'd rather live in a beautiful setting like yours though.

I've being yearning for a small GH, but if you remember my yard, I don't have much space. I was thinking of giving up my small veggie area, on the side of the house, for a GH, but I haven't found a small enough one to fit it yet. The widest I could go is 5ft, and that's tight. I really wish I knew someone who could build me a frame that would fit in that area, and just cover it with the GH plastic. Oh well, I'll just keep dreaming.

I've been wanting to take a drive up north for several years, so don't be surprised if I do contact you some time for a visit.

I wish you both a lot of good health and enjoyment in your new home.

Donna

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Donna
Do you remember my potting shed/GH along side the house? it was 6 x 20
i can give you the name of the chap that built it for me
here is a sort of pict of the outside http://www.strever.com/FV/FV_0021.JPG
and here is one of the inside with seedlings

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Dick! Looking so good. I am so impressed. You should have it up in plenty of time before we get zapped. I am so jealous though, your GH has such a view. I wish I had one like that. Oh to be Dick living the good life on a beautful river full of salmon. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Dick! I was surprised to see you over here. :) That looks like a really nice greenhouse! I too, am sorry to hear about your orchids. What all will you be putting in your new greenhouse?

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Kell
you know my grass is always going to be greener :-)
here's my view as i'm typing this :-) http://www.strever.com/misc/01-window_1135.JPG
& i have some (Albacore)Tuna & Salmon to put in the smoker
soooo come on up & let's have a fish fry

hi Michele
good to see you here also :-) i will be putting all of the seedlings & cuttings i do now
plus Clivia & orchids & other tender tropicals i have in pots
hoping to get my garage back to park a car in this winter :-)
here is a peek at what i did in a hurry this last winter

This message was edited Sep 26, 2006 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by Strever
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You never told me you had albacore tuna also!! And you smoke it too? I used to get smoked tuna when I would visit my Mom, absolutely delicious.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

when the local fishing fleet goes out (way out) and gets tuna
you can go down to the docks & buy very FRESH tuna
& of course any of the other fish they catch

Thumbnail by Strever
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful views! I'm so jealous about the fishing boats and fresh catch! Of course I'd feel worse if you told me you walked right down there and got crabs and lobster. ;)

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

we did have another record year for Dungeness crab, something like 10 million #'s ?
(i think) the Crescent City fleet caught 70% of the crab caught in Calif this year
but there is no lobster here, dang it :-)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Dang is right. LOL. We will have to have crab, smoked tuna and wild salmon when I come Dick! Are there any great sushi places?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

How big is your new GH?

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

GH is 12 x 24
the nearest Sushi is in Brookings & i have never been there
http://cafe.nwtec.com/

Dick

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Dick!! Sushi on Fridays while I surf the net......all at once. Be still my heart.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

update:
another days work by one person - me

Thumbnail by Strever
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Great job Dick. I am so impressed. You need to teach Tom a few things.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Super Strever, you are really doing an exceptional job. Isn't it amazing what 1 person can do if they really put there mind to it. I started watching the very first thread you started when you started talking about ordering a GH. So I am really excited for you, I know what it is like to want one and then finally getting one, I have a 12 ft. Rion, but what I wouldn't give to have one just like yours. It's looking great.

Linda

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

latest update
internal braces, vents & doors took a day & half
a lot of time is wasted redoing things because the instructions are so vague

WOW
i called FarmTek about some small missing parts & complained about the instruction manual
even after 2 years they are sending the parts out immediately
& i was told the manual has been updated several times
it is now 56 pages long - mine was 28 pages - they emailed it to me
it now has very detailed instructions & close up photos not drawings
very nice instructions
only wish i had phoned earlier :-)

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 10:38 AM

Thumbnail by Strever
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

But just think when it is all done and loaded with all your tropicals. I am so jealous!

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Hey Dick! Looking good! If I don't get on the stick, you'll have your's finished before mine is all done. Just got it finaled last Tues! Only took a year & a half!
I got some orchids from my Mom, they don't like me, wanna put them in your GH?
Here's what I have been doing the last couple of days....getting water down to the GH.(pic)
Did you get some of that rain? We just go a light sprinkle for most of the morning. Settled the dust!
Good thing it didn't rain hard or I would have had a moat!
Keep up the good work! Huggs, Bj

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers
Red Bluff, CA(Zone 9a)

Isn't this an area that floods during the raining season in your piece of paradise ?

jealous I am
lil sis

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi BJ
that is some serious ditch digging you are doing
i only put my water line down about 6"
BUT i don't freeze like you do :-)
we got a little drizzle yesterday & a little this morning
all next week is supposed to be sunny

hi Sis
it is as wet or dry as the rest of the yard :-)
maybe a little dryer under that monster Myrtle

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You are busting through it Dick! It will be nice to see it all together. I bet even more so for you. :)

I found the dimensions for your greenhouse but didn't see if it said how tall it is? I put my 8x12 on 2 runs of landscape ties to make it taller and am trying to decide if I want to do the second one that way. I think mine is only like 6 1/2 feet in the center. The landscape ties are great for raising the height but also mean you need steps or a ramp to get in. I'm thinking about adding length and forgoing the height this time...

Is Kell on your porch with a fishing pole yet? LOL

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi Michele

my GH door is 6 1/2 ft tall making the inside center 8 1/2 ft tall and the sides 5 1/2 ft high so i have plenty of room inside
i'm assuming you used 4x4 treated timbers so you made it 8" taller in the center ? was that enuff ? or are you really tall ? :-)
the first time you conk your head on any of the roof cross pieces because you are not in the habit of ducking in the old GH
i guarantee you will definately wish you had made the new one higher also :-)

each time the door bell rings i think it might be Kell showing up
with a sleeping bag, digging tools & her sushi appetite :-)

Dick

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The GH is coming along but probably not as fast as you would like. Sorry about your plants and hope you're feeling better.
:) Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well shoot Dick, don't you have a bed for me? Remember I am a woman of leisure. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the door info and the height info. I have been trying to decide whether to just put mine on a base or railroad ties. The finished height without the lumber is only 6'10". With two runs of railroad ties, I can perfectly whack my head on hanging baskets. LOL Maybe I should consider cinder block and lumber. hehehehe

Kell, you can put your sleeping bag out on that deck and lay on a fishing pole. In the morning you might have caught your own breakfast. :)

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Kell if I had it to do all over again I would have put mine on railroad ties or cinder blocks to give me more head room. You better think hard on not doing it. I am afraid you will regret it in the long run.

Linda

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Linda I agree with you, because when I first built my little hoophouse, I built it flat on the ground and had to duck under all hanging plants. This year I am in the process of raising it to accomidate my really tall brugs. John

Thumbnail by carrjohn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.