Polycarbonate frame construction.

Iowa City, IA

Good morning folks. I've been thinking about building my own large greenhouse. Does anyone have a resource on the best way to go about building a frame for the polycarbonate panels? Considering I'm a welder, could I build this frame out of aluminum? Thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

They can be and are built out of aluminum. Isn't aluminum dangerous to fabricate though? Mine is lightweight painted pine framing because it's framed on a deck and against a house wall. It's almost kd. I've removed sidewall panels and even moved it 10' down the wall one year for deck work. It's about 10'x16'. I'd frame on 2"x4" treated if freestanding and large. The polycarb is so lightweight there's virtually no load on the rafters. But I don't know your weather and can't speak to snow load or wind stability.

Chicago, IL

As a welder, aluminum is a solid choice for the frame due to its lightweight and rust-resistant properties. I'd suggest looking into online DIY guides for specific tips on constructing with polycarbonate panels. By the way, there are some innovative solutions out there. Personally, I've recently used modern timber joists for building my house. They combine lightweight timber with sturdy metal webs, allowing for longer spans and easier handling on site. It might be worth considering for your greenhouse too

This message was edited Aug 18, 2023 8:46 AM

Building your own greenhouse is an exciting project, and with your welding skills, you have a fantastic advantage. Using aluminum for the frame is a smart choice due to its durability and resistance to corrosion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.