new GH

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Those Brugs sure make us do lots of things, don't they! I had a small seeding house, perfectly fine for overwintering a few tender plants & starting seeds in the spring, then I found the Brug forum.....
Now I have a 30X15 GH, a new Kubota tractor to move them with & paths or roads for my Brug forest in my yard. More chemicals, bug stuff & plant foods & additives than our local hardware store! Not to mention the postage for trading & $$ spent for seeds of that new one ya just have to have! It truly is an addiction, I love it!
Here's a pic of my seeding house the first winter after Brugs. LOL! Luckily I had a long watering wand, because I couldn't get in there!

Thumbnail by BjsBloomers
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

it took me one whole day to skin one side of the roof

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

having so many aches & pains i finally broke down & let my son help :-)
in one day we skinned the other side of the roof
both ends
& part way down the sides

Thumbnail by Strever
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

WOW that is looking so fantastic I really like the doors on it. I bet they will be so much better then my Rion doors. We are going to have to do some major overhaul to mine they are so warped you could drive a mac truck between the door and the side of the gh.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

pug, you're not far from me....do you have to use quite a bit of heat in the winter in the green house if there are plants in there? And how long do you usually have to heat the greenhouse before the sun really starts doing it's job toward spring? (I'm new to this area and planning on putting up a greenhouse on the property).

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Linda
this GH frame is Aluminum extrusion and the braces are powder coated steel
but i did get a slight amount of bowing to the sides, not much &
i don't think anybody else will notice it, it's just that i do :-(
the double wall poly urethane panels are glued in with silicone & held with stainless clips
i should take a close up pict showing how this is done
the doors even have a keyed lock, i suppose to keep the critters out :-)

Dick

Yes do take another picture, I know I checked farm tex out before I got my Rion, now in away I wished I had checked them out a lot closer.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Dick, I was going to ask you this morning if you had gotten any more done....then the phone rang and forgot. Glad your almost done, phew! Not long before you'll be out there tinkering around with your plants with a little soft music in the background to soothe all your troubles away. :-))

I'm still thinking and working on what I want to do about mine yet. I had a male garden friend over last week and he even mentioned building a small one instead of buying one. I just need "actual" plans and I'll build it.

Keep the pics coming. I just love where you have this situated on your land. The views are spectacular.

Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just showed Tom you new GH, Dick. He is impressed! And I also showed him your river too! Looking so good!

Augusta, GA

Dick,
I am so excited for you. My gh is finally going up in the back yard. It is a pvc hoop design 10x20 and 7.5' center. We will put it on a brick foundation later. The ends are now framed in and the storm door is in process (came completely unassembled!) My dh and I created the plan on paper and with a very limited budget, I think it is going to be wonderful. I bought vents and exhaust fans on ebay and the gh 4 yr plastic and fan to keep air between the two layers, on line. I think this may come off at approximately $500, maybe a bit less. Once my dh sees that I make good use of the gh consistently, he will agree to double sided sheeting to replace the film.

Be sure to show us the finished product complete with plants!

Since this is my first gh, if any gh owners in the southeast have information about maintaining (& heating) a gh in Georgia, I would appreciate a dmail.

thanx,
deb

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Deb, I'd really like to see pics of your gh....I, too, was looking at a similar design for mine. What are your thoughts on it so far?

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

WOW! That's looking great, Dick. & none too soon either. You getting this rain?
Almost got mine done. Still waiting for the ceiling sheeting, it was suppose to be mailed on the 18th of Oct. I called them on Fri 28th & they said there was a back-up & it won't be shipped until Tues. 31st. Needless to say I did get the point across how disappointed I was & that my plants are all out in 32 degree temps, as we speak. So hopefully it should be here any time now. This was EnvroTech. He said that this doesn't usually happen. Of course not, only to MY order! I did buy a large piece of shade cloth from them, a 12X18' finished piece for $66. It was shipped right away. I need some shade in there in the summer, as I usually leave my baby Brugs from the last falls planting in there to be protected all summer. I used a bed sheet this summer. It worked & it was a floral one so it fit right in! lol.
Well, keep up the good work, Dick, but don't over-do it. Bj

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi BJ
yes the rain has finally come, supposed to be around for the next 10 days :-(
i have not heard of Envirotech ? Nov 31 is way too late you need to do something NOW
i did go out & check for leaks during a lull & the only places were where i expected
corners that need filling etc
now i need to fill the floor with some gravel - after the rain quits
then build some tables
then get the electrical & water hooked up
then figure a way to get to it with out getting wet :-)

Dick

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

IDick, it's called an "UMBRELLA" they do have them up there do they not?, LOL!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

seems i forgot to put the last image of the GH all skinned up
have been so busy getting the electrical & heating in before winter
& now working on benches

Thumbnail by Strever
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It really looks great! I can see it's all steamed up in there too. I hope you get 'er filled up soon. :)

It is beautiful, I know you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

How do you plan on controlling the humidity? I'm really having a problem with that.
I have a heater & 2 fans but it's still way too high. I should be growing water lilies instead of Brugs!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

BJ i have just been too busy to tackle that problem yet
getting the electrical & heat in & benches made
now i need a bunch of pea gravel for the floor :-)
my humidity is running in 80% range most of the time also

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I just tuned into this thread, haven't read all of it, just scanned the pictures. Very nice greenhouse. I noticed your floors are lined in plastic and you have some tile down in areas. Is that what you are planning on using for the floors ? Sorry if you have already explained this.
Your tables look great. My DH is building me a very small GH right now and we are contemplating the flooring and the table set up.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

thank you Bonnie
almost 2 years since i originally bought the GH
the plastic is a ground cloth from the local Nursery supply
the tile is 2" thk 12x12 stepping stones from HD for the walking path
i plan on spreading a lot of pea gravel under the benches
the wooden benches are treated 2x4's with wire cloth
i need to build 3 more plus a potting bench with sink
then extra shelfing
then .......................there will always have more to do :-)

Dick

With one the size of yours - yes you are right - there will always be something to do.
Much luck to you - it is very nice and I am sure worth the wait.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

it has been a loooong time a coming
but i have a functional GH :-)
pict shows dbl door into the inside
2nd image is the thermostat controlling the plugs for the electric heaters

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Tooooooooooo cool, Dick. It looks simply marvelous! It really does.

WOW ! Very impressive !

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh my Dick, that looks great. Look at all that room you have and you haven't even filled it up yet. I really like all your tables, did you make them yourself?

I hope you enjoy yourself out there this coming Spring, or for that matter, any time you can putter in the GH. lol

I'm looking forward to playing in my little one this Spring....for sure. :-)

Donna

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

they sure do fill up fast :-)

Thumbnail by Strever
Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

What a beautiful gh, and you filled it fast! I'm jealous of that beautiful yellow clivia!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi Ann
the Yellow Clivia showing in that pict is a common one
it is a San Marcos yellow not even variegated :-)
i picked it up at village nursery in Htg Beach a cpl years ago
you can NEVER have enuff GH space i am learning
now this Yellow Clivia image is a stunner, it is a Solomone very wide leaf variegated

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow.....beautiful!!!!
:) Donna

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

It is amazing how they fill up, no matter what size you build! Mine is nearly full now that the Brugs are putting on leaves. Looks good Dick! Love that yellow one!
Bj

12 x 24 is too small???

You did a great job. It looks very inviting.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I am really bowled over by your greenhouse. I have a novice question. Is it important that the GH be in a sunny location? I have long wanted one, but I have mostly shade so I always assumed that would not work.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Happy
many people put their GH in the sun and then have to put shade cloth up every spring to protect their plants from the summer burning sun ?
as you can see i put my GH under a VERY large tree to help KEEP the sun off during the summer.
i am hoping i will not have to use shade cloth this summer
most of the plants i will keep in the GH are not sun loving :-)
i am a Cliva nutt, and some of the Brug seedlings i have in there now have already gotten a little leaf burn :-(
so i guess it really depends on what you are planning on raising in your GH ???

Dick

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

happym, My greenhouse isn't in full sun at all. It is on the west side of my house. It probably gets sun from 12 noon to 3-4 pm and that is all. My plants do just fine in it. I have a real greenhouse, 6' x 12', now but had a plastic 4' x 6' one and things grew then too. Just as long as you have good bright light, it should work.
Carol

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm -- I'm not even sure I have bright light -- but I'm going to case out the area I'm thinking about . . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.