OMG - They're All Back!!! Welcome Home, Heidi!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This thread is a continuation of the following threads:
Raccoons Getting A Little Too Friendly Part 2: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/640539/
Raccoons Getting A Little Too Friendly For Comfort http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/603944/

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

--- THEY'RE BACK!!!! ---

And I've never appreciated them more!

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

YIPPEE!!! I was starting to get worried too... Glad they are *home*...Lauri

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yeah!!! Me, too.! Actually I'm more glad for you, scutler. :-D

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, ALL of my explanations were wrong. They are all still here. So now I don't know what's been going on with them. Hey, I told you before they get attitude when I snub them, but this is the longest they've avoided me afterward. I don't know. Maybe they were out foraging when I called them - all 3 or 4 days.

I went out to save the bird feeder. I'd taken a nap again after work. It was dark out, and I feared the worst. When I stepped out of the back door I saw 2 or more raccoons under the hbird feeder and at least 1 on the bird feeder with another beneath it. Widget took off down the arbor path in pursuit of yet another. 2,4,5, immediately I knew it - they were back!

It took me a few minutes to call Widget back and put him inside. Incredibly, one of the kids was still at the hbird feeder right beside the back door. He was standing some 3-4 ft from me and was still very much engaged in his attempt to get that super sweet "koolaid". I was so happy to see him, to see all of them. I didn't want to risk scaring him, but still I didn't want him to destroy the hbirds feeder (again). I stood there talking to him. As he started walking back up the pole, firmly but gently, I told him to get down. He looked at me, then hopped down. Then started back up again. We continued this for a few iterations. He was so precious - I don't care what anybody says. There I was talking to him as though he were a naughty toddler. "Get down, no, get down now. What did I say?" Then he got on the bench beside the hbird feeder and started climbing up onto the back, still wanting to get to that nectar. Finally, he got down and scooted away.

I dashed inside to grab some dog biscuits. All I could find in a hurry was a box of Widget's IAM's Puppy Biscuits. I ran out - ok, walked fast. When I got back they were all gathered around the feeder. They didn't run from me. Heck the one that was ON the feeder didn't even get down at first. When they saw/smelled that I had goodies, they rushed over to me, mobbed me. I was just so danged happy to see them, I wasn't even scared - much.

I stood still as they approached. Trouble walked right up to about 3ft from my feet with Heidi right on his flank. I tossed him a biscuit. One of them grabbed it, the other growled, spat, and tried to take it. I could only toss the biscuits so fast. They were squabbling, spitting, running around trying to take them from each other. They seemed to be famished. It took a little while to get enough biscuits out there to qwell the aggression. (Absolutely no aggression toward me, just each other as they were very, very hungry.)

As I stood where they had come to me, we were not at the fence. We were only a few feet from the bistro table up near the house and in an open expanse of lawn. Amazingly, and apparently due to their intense hunger, all 6, Fraidy included, were there at my feet. After a few biscuits, Fraidy dropped back a bit and stayed beside a row of flowers at the edge of the clearing. She was then maybe 20-25ft from me, but I made sure to keep tossing biscuits her way. It was difficult, but I must say that my aim is getting much, much better these days so I was able to keep "dropping" the biscuits near her without hitting her. They ate like a group of women who had just falled off their diets and were having one all out fat attack. Even Fraidy stayed for quite a while and ate at least a dozen biscuits (the puppy biscits are smaller) before she ran back to the comfort of the forest.

About 1/2 way through the box they settled down a bit and stopped squabbling so much. By that time I had gently guided them back a bit by slowly tossing each raccoon's biscuit a little farther back each time. They were now back around my garden seat. I was still standing in the same spot where I had started. Sometimes they are such clowns, unintentional, but clowns none the less. One biscuit landed in the seat (pictured below I hope). No matter, a raccoon stuck his head in and ate it. Then he stuck his head THROUGH the seat to look out at me from the other side as if he were wearing a garden seat necklace. It was just such a dopey, silly thing to do. For a moment, it looked as though he would walk around with the thing around his neck.

A few moments later I looked and he was INSIDE the seat. That's right, curled up sitting inside the garden seat eating his biscuit with his siblings trying to get in. The garden seat has big play-school looking wheels, and it looked like he was in a little car. Suddenly, everybody wanted a car. They were just too, too cute. Some of their antics are so silly, like a bunch of little "stooges".

Trouble started walking back over to me, slowly, sniffing the ground. A little scared, I held my position. Just a bit short of my feet he stopped, picked up a biscuit and backed away to eat it. I hadn't realized that it was even there. Apparently, I had dropped it.

When they had eaten almost the entire box - barely enough to cover the bottom remained - they started to slowly back away toward the forest. Left behind, one little guy stopped to grab a big drink from the copper dish before he to disappeared over the fence.

I was again alone on the lawn in the dark, holding my near empty box of dog biscuits, and so, so happy to have the little fellas back home.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Lauri. Thank you, music. Whew! I really missed the little guys! I'm so elated to have them back. (remind me of this if they ever become problematic.lol)

Thanks to everyone who comforted and encouraged me while they were "away".

YAY! They're BACK!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

gosh, Cheryl. what an emotional roller coaster you're on with them! doesn't seem like they could just be pouting for that long though. not if they're really hungry. perhaps something really scared them.

gram

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

If I still could (I am far too stiff) I would sit down on the ground and let them gather around me. I know, I know, it is not a good thing but the joy of having them back would make me want to get close.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yeah, gram, I don't know what to think, but I'm sure glad they are all ok and BACK.

A few days I didn't feed them. On the other days when they didn't come to me, I left some food out but probably only enough for 2. I didn't want to leave a lot of food out to attract rats if the raccoons were gone. So, even if they ate the food I left out, they would still have been hungry.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

George, your love for animals is so clear. Do you have raccoons in CA? Do you have other wild animals that visit you?

My sentiments at seeing them were much the same. I think that's why I stood and let them just walk right up to me this time without backing away. My happiness at seeing them again overtook my fear.

It was very dark out, and the grass in that area is not so thick and lush; the ground is a bit wet. I'm a bit too squeemish to sit on that damp grass/ground in the dark. I wanted to sit on the little garden seat which was maybe 10ft away, but that would have required me to walk toward them, and I didn't want to risk scaring them away. They will come to me if I am still but will walk/run away if I move toward them. Even though they have become incredibly comfortable around me, they are still always on alert in case I try to harm them. Moving toward them is still seen as potentially threatening behavior.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I have had a raccoon a couple of nights. I could tell because the big water bowl had been emptied. Then I saw him in the backyard, he was very big. But that is the only sighting in 30 some years here.

We have a number of opossums. The young are fairly cute but the older ones are very scruffy looking. My neighbor lets them come into his house.

When I was growing up in Nebraska I saw raccoons that people kept as pets.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is another (albeit bad) shot of Trouble eating grapes. If you look really close you can see a green grape just in front of his nose.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a closer crop. Sorry for the graininess. I circled some of the grapes in pink and outlined the one in front of his mouth.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

George, I had a close up run-in with a grown oppossum that got trapped in the garage years ago. I know what you mean about how they get scruffy. The hair on and around his head had thinned considerably so that I could see his skin, especially when the few remaining hairs stood upright with fear. It seemed as if he'd been using some kind of greasy hair gel. LOL. not a pretty sight. I was surprised when I saw Snowball up close. He still had all of his hair and it seemed relatively soft/fluffy.

Here is another pic of Trouble and the grapes. I don't think I posted this one yet. This is the only pic I got of him trying to walk out on the very thin branch with grapes at the end. As you can see the branch is dipping to 45 degrees in the pic, and he's still heading down. He didn't get much farther. The branch sunk to 50-60deg and he backed up. I circled some grapes again, black (ripe) and green. He ate both types. Between him and the cardinals not a single grape made it to the ground.

Lyndonville, NY

That made me get all teary....happy tears! That is wonderful they are back and safe.

I am sure Widget is not happy about sharing his bones, but his family is growing.

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Debbie. You know, after the scarey spat Widget had with the raccoon a week or so ago, I was happy for a little space. The 1st time or 2 that they didn't come when I called, I didn't worry too much, but last night I sat out there in the dark for maybe 30 minutes with a bowl of Eukaneuba small breed puppy food, a bag of Purina 1 lamb and rice dog biscuits, and a sample size of cat treats. I called and clicked and called and clicked. I sat in silence for a while then tried again. I tried tossing a few biscuits over to the fence under the tree limb - that had worked before. I tried moving my seat back a few feet in case they felt threatened by me. I tried moving all the way back to the bistro table. Finally, sadly, I gave up and came inside. THEN, I really missed them. And I just couldn't understand why they wouldn't come to me. I hoped that by yelling at Widget that last time they were in the yard I hadn't called the neighbors' attention to them.

Even I didn't realize how much I would miss them.

Widget is most unhappy to be sharing his YARD with them. I offered him a dog biscuit when I came in. He didn't want it. He's an only "child", so he's a bit spoiled I guess. After I came back in from spending time with the raccoons, I realized that I had ignored him, so I played throw/catch the teddy bear with him - THAT's what he wants most. I think he's a little bit jealous of the raccoons. Way back in the 1st few weeks after I started calling to Heidi, I noticed that if I called "Heidi" he'd look around at the forest and then start jumping on me and licking me and acting all jealous. (I did it a few times just to see his reaction) I think he knows that is the name for the raccoon, and he doesn't like sharing his human with the raccoons.

Lyndonville, NY

Widget sounds just like a toddler jealous of the new baby, and he still needs his mom!

Have you tried feeding the raccoons fruit? THey love my father in laws apple tree, he saves the slightly bruised or dented apples and tosses them to the raccoons in an attempt to keep them out of his corn. (doesn't work...but they get veggies and fruit!) Just trying to think of things to balance their diet from nature to give them good vitamins and fluids.

I love reading your "tales of the tails" and "masked bandits of biscuits." My Mom always tells me I have Snow White syndrome, trying to make friends with all the little animals of the forest.... I would if I could!

Have a restful night knowing your furrbabies are back safe!

Debbie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It sounds like it has gotten expensive feeding the flock! The fruit gave me an idea. I used to work at a grocery eons ago, but you always have bruised or over-ripe fruit & veggies to pull off of the shelves each morning in the produce section. Maybe a couple times a week they could save it back for you.
Glad to know they hadn't been abducted by a disgruntaled neighbor! I don't know how you can't keep from hand feeding them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Debbie. I have that Snow White thing, too, as you can see. The dog food and biscuits are balanced with vitamins (for dogs). I keep 2 birdbaths, 1 at ground level and 1 at normal level full of clean water back near the fence. They drink from both of them. I've given them a lot of watermelon, even a few whole melons, a whole honeydew, plums, nectarines, peaches, a whole bag of red grapes (after seeing Trouble eating the wild grapes), fresh and dried corn on the cob, a few apples.

Also, I grow a lot of fruits, berries, and veggies in the back yard cottage garden. I never get any of the fruits and berries and few of the veggies. The critters and birds eat them. The raccoons ate all of the green tomatoes (I didn't know but read that they love them), along with all of the green peaches from the peach tree that I espaliered on the fence (so that it's easier to raid), all of the apples from the columnar apple trees, all of the blueberries, all of the figs (the fig bush is back near the fence and sheltered by other plants. The last few years I never see a fig), etc. Something ate all of the strawberries. When they were young I saw the kids climb the columnar maypole crabapple on the patio and taste the tart fruit. The next night they returned to eat them. I also have 4 regular size crabapple trees. Between them and the birds, all of the fruit gets eaten. Oh, and I have sand cherries - also eaten. And a couple of cultivated grape vines - also eaten. Yep, I think they get a fair amount of fruit. I'm the one who doesn't get any fruit. : )

Here is the evidence on the crabapples.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

OH, I am so glad they are back. I was worried about them, too. The only thing now that would be the best is if you could find a dr. to give you a rabies shot. Then you wouldn't have to worry and could try to pet them if that is what they want at some time. I don't know if you would do it through your regular dr. or through the health department. You could "tell a little white fib" and say that there had been some rabid bats around, of course the health dept. would know whether that is true or not. Or just say there are a lot of raccoons around your neighborhood and you just want to be safe. Do you know if they did the oral vaccine drop around your area? I am so glad they are doing my area this month. Hugs to you and all the coons. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Good idea, Sheila! I did buy some of those "old" bannanas for them once. The local grocery store sells a whole bag of the for 50 cents. Sometimes I just forget to check for the overripe fruits and veggies. Glad you reminded me. I could also check for cheap dented cans of veggies.

Most of the dog biscuits are ones that I bought for Widget (I go overboard). He doesn't like most of them so it was good to find a use for them. I bought them a big bag of Jim Dandy for $5. It lasted a while so wasn't too expensive. I supplemented with left overs and stuff I needed to remove from the fridge and freezer. The fridge is all clean now but still need to clean out the dreaded freezer so will have more food to pass along then. Also, when I order Chinese delivery, I give those pint containers of rice to them. I had a box of blueberry protein energy bars (made with soy protein) that tasted awful. I gave those to the raccoons. They were a big hit.

At one site online I read a list of some 5-6 foods that are their favorites. Dog and cat food were on that short list. I find that they are quite fond of it. The dog food also has ground corn, wheat, vitamins, rice, etc.

I was tempted to offer Trouble a biscuit from my hand when he came up so close but am concerned about rabbies. (More on that issue later) Also, seeing how hungry they were tonight (I've never seen them like that. They ate like they'd just gotten off a deserted island.) and how they were grumbling with each other over the food, I wouldn't have wanted to take the risk that one would "fight" me for the biscuit.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Karen.

Glad to hear that your area is being treated. I'm not sure about mine. I know that there have been some rabbies cases (animals) in my county this year. I read online that some areas had been treated but that they were having difficulty determining how well they had disseminated the stuff, whether a few raccoons were eating a lot of it or a lot were eating a little, etc. I've been thinking about calling to ask about this. Maybe when I see my dr again I'll ask his advice on this issue, might also ask Widget's dr if it is possible to get the raccoon treatment.

More on the rabbies issue later as I have to get to bed for now.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

So glad to hear the raccoons are back, scutler, though I can't help wondering when Heidi will tell the kids it's time to move out on their own. She obviously is a devoted mom, and must be old enough to limit herself to one litter a year.

In most areas, pre-exposure rabies vaccines for people are available through the health dept. You just tell them you want to do volunteer work with wildlife. It's a series of three shots over the course of a couple weeks, and usually costs a couple hundred dollars. Even if you have the shots, I don't recommend that you try to touch or handle the kids. The fact that they still back away if you approach them shows they are not domesticated, and this is good; it's dangerous for them to become TOO comfortable around people. But wild ones startle easily, and will bite; and that's painful, regardless of rabies risk. I do understand the temptation, believe me; but it's really best to keep the relationship hands-off.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Here is some info on the rabies vaccine for humans:

http://www.rabavert.com/about.html

South Carolina Dept. of Health etc:

http://www.scdhec.net/

It would be sonice to give them a big hug--if they weren't afraid. Have a good sleep. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

spartacusaby, thanks for the info. I read that while pet raccoons may live 16 yrs or so, 6 yrs is the avg life span in the wild. I believe that Heidi is more than 5, as she has been in my yard that long. Believe it or not, even though they all look the same, I know her face, can't say how or what is unique about it, just when I look at her face to face I know if it's her like you know one person from another even when both have the same hair and eye color.

I don't plan to touch any of them. I had considered offering one a large dog biscuit from my hand (holding one end), but would never consider touching them. I understand that they would considert that a threat or possible attack. Do you think it is a bad idea to offer one a biscuit that way? Actually, I had considered either wearing those heavy gloves - the kind where my fingers don't even go 2/3 of the way to the end anyhow - or using one of those "grabber" things with the 2ft handle and the suction cups on the end to grasp things.

A quick explanation of why I wouldn't ever think of touching them much less trying to pick them up: Years ago when I was about 23 (and hence even more naive than now), someone had dropped off a female cat near my house. By the time we found her, she had kittens. The kittens had lived several weeks in the wild and were afraid of humans. I wanted to catch all of them to take them to the SPCA. I kept the mom but did not have room for all of the kittens.

Anyhow, as we all "know", kittens curl up and go limp when lifted from the scruf of the neck. I actually believed this was some kind of built-in, unconscious, neurological response. Right! So I used food to "trick" them to get close enough so that I could swoop down and grab them. Well, that went REALLY well. They were small kittens, not new-born, but still quite young and "fragile", certainly not harmful. So I quickly snatched one up by the back of his neck.

The next few seconds of my life looked something like one of those cartoons where 2 characters fight and all you see is a ragged, and quickly moving circle with arms and legs protruding in various places. I could not let go of that tiny, fur covered ball of teeth and nails fast enough. He was moving so fast I couldn't actually see where he was from one micro-second to the next - but I could feel him. I could swear he catapulted up my arm like a mutent ninja turtle from heck and smacked me a few times before I managed to "put him down". I learned a lot that day about the difference between what domestic animals DO and what they CAN DO. That tiny "delicate" little fur ball all but ate me alive!!! Needless to say, I have not tried to "trick" anymore felines.

And if a sweet, "helpless" little kitten could do that, I'm not about to touch a raccoon!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL!!! Scutler...:-D I can picture every "micro-second"! You certainly have a gift for vivid description!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

liebran, thanks for the links.

Just before dark tonight I went out with some dog food and called to them. In a few minutes a cute little face appeared in the branches above the fence, then another and another and...this time I was sitting on my garden seat. I tossed the food over toward the fence. As a result they stayed back a ways.

Not to worry, spartacusaby, about them getting too comfortable with me. They are always on alert. They run away when the A/C cuts on, when low airplanes fly over, when they hear voices from the neighbors' yards, and even when I sneeze or swat a mosquito. They are accustomed to the movement of me tossing the food with one hand as long as I do it in a calm and relatively gentle manner. Any other movements on my part are suspect.

Today, since they were not AS hungry, Fraidy was slow to come down and only ate a few pieces before running back over the fence.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, music, I wasn't sure if I could properly convey those few LONG seconds when that itsy bitsy kitten was kicking my butt. That kitten was all over me. I swear I was just engulfed in a nasty cloud of teeth and nails and fur for what seemed an eternity but could only have been an instant. But it was an instant I won't likely forget for a lifetime!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I doubt that kitten will ever forget it either!!! ROFLOL!!

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I had just thought about those heavy gloves today--the ones that animal catchers use. I think if you had those on, it might be alright to try one of the long biscuits. I still haven't seen my girl (that I call Sadie), but every morning the food has disappeared, except what she doesn't like. She is very neat. Her water bowl and food bowls are always left in the same place on the wooden platform for them. The other day, I put a nectarine in one small space on the platform. The next morning, all the food was gone--except the nectarine. When I picket it up, I noticed that she had taken a bite out of the other side--instead of just dropping it down in the dirt, she put it right back on the platform where it was. I thought that was very neat of her. Anyhow, find out where you can get those heavy gloves (does anybody know?). They might be a little suspicious of the "grabber" thing. It is soo nice to hear they are still back. Did you watch the video of the guy feeding the coons in his house and his wife doing the video? He said to one "get up here" and it jumped right up in his lap. I am wondering if those were wild coons, and if the couple got a rabies shot. Who knows. Nice hearing about the kids again. Karen (PS the picture is where I set up her dinner-down near the woods.)

Thumbnail by liebran
Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I grew up in Nebraska and during the winter the feral cats would come into the barn for food, mainly meat scraps and warm milk. I would put an old door on its side next to the food. Wearing a pair of leather gloves I would hide behind the door and eventually catch a feral cat. Getting a hold of the loose skin on their neck does subdue them to a degree. I would carry the cat onto a small porch that had storm windows. I would sit on the floor, one is less immense and fearsome when down low. I would not make the session too long before I allowed the cat to go out. I got a number of cats to lose their fear of being picked up. Although the next summer they would get thoroughly feral again and I am not sure that many survived until the next winter. Life in the wild tends to be short and violent.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

George, I think that is what Cheryl is trying to prevent with Heidi and the kids. Karen

I do love your descriptions, scutler: that is a perfect vignette of dealing with a feral kitten! You don't believe how fast they can move, and how much damage 18 little claws and 20+ baby teeth can do, and how quickly!

I suspect the "grabber," though safe for the handler, would be pretty off-putting/scary to the coons. Here's a link for the best gloves I found in my animal control days: http://www.campbellpet.com/product.aspx?func=view&prodID=30. They give you enough dexterity to be able to hold on to something, like a biscuit, but still offer a lot of protection. The only creature that managed to break my skin through these is a squirrel; and frankly, they can bite through anything. As long as you use them to offer food large enough that the coons can grab it without inadvertently grabbing fingers, you should be fine: don't try meat scraps or tiny pieces of fruit, okay? Don't know if the raccoons will be comfortable with hand feeding, but you should be reasonably safe trying it if wearing these gloves. Again, though I know you wouldn't try to do so, NO gloves will protect you enough to enable you to pick up or confine a wild animal. Sorry for all the cautions: just don't anyone to get hurt trying this at home....

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I was thinking about building a shelter in the back of your property. At least a roof and a nest box or two and maybe a piece of a hollow log. Particularly when the time comes that Heidi has problems climbing. Maybe Fraidy would occupy it also. Maybe add an inconspicuous fence around it so that Widget does not confront them.

I don't remember the details of the property where they live, is it public or private land? Private land is always built on, if not sooner than later. Public land is a little less likely to be developed.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think trying to feed them by hand is a good idea either. Not only because you could be hurt, but because you would be teaching them that it is ok to take food from people. When the little ones do get booted out to find their own territories, that would be a dangerous idea for them to take with them. If one of them finds another human with food in their hand and gets too close... the raccoon can only lose.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

It is common sense versus affairs of the heart. That is something only Cheryl can decide on. We can support her in either decision, and using common sense to fit into the decision she makes. It might not be what we would do...but it is her decision. Now I have a raccoon question. It is thundering and lightening and raining like crazy--my husband insists I don't have to go out and leave food for Sadie, that she probably won't come out in this weather. What do you think? Will she stay home or come out and check her feeding station? Karen

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

As far as touching them, a long thin branch could well work to gauge their reaction.

Negra and another kitten were around the place where I worked for a few days but were not approachable. (There were classes their and the students were fed lunch, so maybe they got handouts.) One evening after dark when I was going home she was crying but would not let me get closer than about 3 feet. I found a long thin branch and soon she was playing, then I stroked her back and she arched up and purred. I grabbed her and that was OK but she certainly did not like the car. Now years later I can still see my blood on the door panel. (the other kitten was captured the next night by someone quicker than myself.)

Liebran, I don't think it ever hurts to leave out food for critters who have grown accustomed to looking for it. They have to find something to eat, regardless of the weather!

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. The weather did slow down a little and I did go out and leave them some leftovers. I'll see in the morning what (if anything) is left. Last night it was raining, but not hard, so I put all the food in a store bag and left it so it wouldn't get wet. I expected her to open it and...whatever. This morning the entire bag was GONE. No sign of it anywhere. I did search around and never found the bag, but did find the ear of sweet corn that was tasted on the end but not eaten. So I stripped it and left it there. Tonight I left it in a styrofoam take out box. Will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. Thanks. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

My group comes rain or shine to raid the feeder. Last night it was raining (med intensity). It was raining hard enough that I was concerned the dog food might disintegrate, but when I approached the fence (didn't have to say anything), they streamed over the fence in eager anticipation of dinner. I tossed the food out in large handfulls onto the slope under the tree branch - trying to keep it dry long enough for them to eat it. When I left (drenched) they were eating with abandon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.