OMG - They're All Back!!! Welcome Home, Heidi!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They wet a lot of their food before eating it anyway don't they? I doubt the rain would deter them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes, Sheila, they like wet food better! Once when I was tossing nuggets and one fell in a container of water, several of them rushed over to grab it. It was more desireable than the other nuggests. Also, I see them hanging off of the birdfeeder in the pouring rain all of the time. My only concern was that the dog food nuggets might disintegrate on the ground so that they could not be picked up or eaten. But the raccoons were eating fast enough that it didn't seem like that would happen.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Last night I left the food in the styrofoam container from the resturant--two baby tomatoes, a handful of peanuts in the shell and french fries with some gravy on. She took the whole container, about 3 feet away she stopped, opened it--tried the tomatoes (not to her liking), ate all the nuts, and either ate all the french fries or took them with her to the woods. I found the container in the woods where I found her corncob the other day. So either she ate the fries or took them back to the woods to eat. No evidence of fries. She must have really liked them!! But yes, she did come out in the rain. Still have never seen her. My husband put up a camera, but we can't see at night, so he ordered some infrared light. So maybe I'll get to see her on TV one night. At least I know she's out there. Glad to hear the kids are still there and eating well Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Karen,

Remember in the beginning I fed "the forest" for months, so much so that I often pondered whether there was "anyone" there or not, but there was. I meant to mention that back when I was still throwing the edible bags over the fence, one got caught in the tree limb, and one of the raccoons just grabbed the whole bag and ran off with it, his siblings close behind. I was surprised at how easily he seemed to run, climb, and carry the bag. I know you'll be excited to finally see Sadie. Oh, and I meant to tell you how neat and impressive your feeding area is. It looks like a place setting at the dinner table.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, but I get the feeling she would rather eat in private instead of out in the open there. So I ordered some of those biodegradeable bags made of corn starch (I think), so she can have her food to go if it makes her more comfortable. Tonight she is going to have to eat her dogfood, peanuts and grapes out of the dog bowl. No rain tonight. Just think, if I had never seen this thread, she would still be trying to get enough food out of the squirrel and bird feeders. Now I know she has a good bit of food daily, thank goodness. Thanks, Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

George, I forgot to answer your question about the land where they live. It is public land, under the jurisdiction of the state wildlife commision. I had it researched before I purchased (because I particularly wanted the privacy it provides). There are no plans to use it any time in the forseeable future. Also, the land there is extremely wet and boggy back there. A friend wanted to go for a walk back there but found it virtually impossible even in boots. My land is built up so that the house is on a "hill" of sorts and the land slopes down to the street in front and to the forest in back. As the back yard is larger the slope is far less obvious but still there. Anyhow, even if the state or city wanted to do something with the land, it would be difficult to render that land useful for any commercial endeavor.

Also, the road I live on has historic value and is one of the city's major tourist attractions due to the plantations and gardens. The city has an investment in keeping the area as it was in the late 19th and early 20th century as much as possible so "progress" in this particular area is kept to a minimum. (I find it amusing that even the sign for my community is hidden behind a stand of trees which cannot be cut down, so when I give directions to my house I tell people there is a sign but you can't see it because it's behind the trees. LOL)

So, while no one can say for sure, I think their habitat is probably safe for their lifetimes. I like your idea about building a "home" for Heidi and perhaps Fraidy. I'll have to think on that. I'm not sure if it's feasible. 1st I can't build w/o "permission" - which bites. Also for now Heidi seems quite frisky and agile so I don't think there is an immediate need. I'm not too sure how happy a wild raccoon would be outside of the forest. Lastly, their is about a 20ft easement bordering the forest, so their are rules regarding what I can build and grow back there. Of course, thanks to the privacy offered by the privacy fence and the forest, I bend the rules a bit here and there. I'll think about this.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm glad for both of you. It is heartwarming to know that you are helping another creature, isn't it? Even if you don't see them or talk to them or pet them. But who knows what the future may bring. She will almost certainly learn your scent. Perhaps in time she will become more comfortable, and you will be able to see her.

Tonight the raccoons wanted to come to me. I'm not sure why. Maybe they thought they'd get better food that way. Don't know. I scattered a bunch of dog food about 5ft from the fence. Then I sat on my garden seat some 10-12ft away. The 4 bolder ones (Heidi included) left the food that was closest to the fence and came over to within 3-5ft from me. They are still on guard around me so I found it odd that they passed up food (the same type) that was much farther away and came over to me to eat.

I had a sample bag of cat treats that were very popular. It only contained a handful, and I tossed them out across the grass. (This may also have been the reason why they came over to me to eat.) I had dropped one of the cat treats at my feet by accident. As it was dk brownish green I didn't even try to find it amid the grass in the dark. One of the kids started walking over to me. From his demeanor I could see that he did not intend to harm me. I had run out of the cat treats and as he was heading directly toward the area at my feet where the one had fallen, I suspect that he was just planning to retrieve it. When he was less than a foot away I lost my nerve and moved, not violently or abrubtly, but it was still enough to cause him to back away. From this I gather that that one would be willing eat from my hand.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Since they seem to enjoy water so much, I started filling the food bowls with water. This has been very popular. Their are three containers back there (besides the copper dish and cement birdbath). When they come out they use ALL of them, and it's fun to watch their antics. They put their "hands" together and run them around the bottom of the shallow rectangular dish in what looks like "fishing" or trying to catch something. Sometimes they put the "nickel" sized nuggets in the dish and then fish for them. The other 2 dishes are deeper and smaller in diameter/perimeter. One of the raccoons likes to "sit" in the deeper square container which is only about 8"x8" and 5" deep. He puts one back leg in it and sits in it while "fetching" nuggets which drop nearby (on purpose, of course) and dipping them in the corner opposite his foot.

On one of the video clips I someone had a small kids wading pool filled with water. It looked like maybe 4ft in diameter. I was thinking of buying one of those and putting it back there for them. The coons in the video had a blast playing in it.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Maybe you wouldn't actually have to build much--what about those igloo dog houses? That's what they look like-small covered entrance and domed house, sort of like a hole in a tree but on the ground. Can fill it with hay or what ever they would like. Also, they make a heated pad for them if the winter is bad. My neighbors use them for their dogs. I'd have to check them out first, though to see if they fit your needs. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That's an interesting idea, Karen. I'm going to keep that in mind.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Yahoo!! She does exist. For some reason, I turned on the video camera and there I could see "eyes" and some of what seemed to be a silhouette. I could make out hand to mouth movement and what might have been pointy ears. It's too dark to tell. But the eyes you can really see, white light. They kept darting around--looking. She walked away a little ways and came back. She must have been close to finishing because then she left and hasn't come back. I went outside with my flashlight and could hear leaves rustling and I "THINK" I saw reflection from eyes in one of my trees here nearer the house. I want to find out who/what is digging in my potted flowers for grubs or whatever on the roots. I actually didn't think it was her. I know there is a skunk around somewhere. Anyhow--will check again with the flashlight before bed. Just not sure why she would be up a tree this close to the house. Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I never got around to mentioning it, but back before the kids started coming out of the forest, before I knew they really existed, at night I used to see flickers of light in the trees just over the fence - in the same area where I now know that Heidi and the kids hang out. They looked like eyes, but I thought i was being silly, so I told myself they were fire-flies, even though I never see fireflies anywhere else around here. Then after the day that I took the goody bag back there and saw the babies standing in the tree limbs in the same area, I knew that I really had been seeing eyes.

Several times when I 1st moved here, I would walk outside at night and see eyes watching me from behind a shrub or rose bush. With the floodlights on I could see enough that I knew it was the raccoon. She would be in the yard and when she'd see/hear me coming out of the house, she'd hide behind a bush somewhere and wait for me to go back inside.

Since I've been spending time around them, I've been surprised at the incredible stealth with which they move about. I suspect that they are and have been around hiding near us many more times than we realize.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I have been thinking about worries of being bitten. I once had a cat that was very inclined to bite and quite hard. One time when I was being bitten I shoved my finger down her throat. The gag reflex was instantaneous and her mouth opened. After a couple more times she would start to bite and then stop without pressing down. I have done this with other cats and can now forestall a bite without being rough.

If I were to feel that an animal was about to bite me I would shove my finger down their throat.

Be careful about sudden movements when one comes close. A possible bad outcome would be to step back quickly and collide with another one, that could result in a bite.

The structure that I envisioned was quite simple, a roof or a lean-to with boxes a little above ground. A hole under the fence when the time comes that Heidi begins to have difficulty climbing. That probably will not occur for a while yet but she is getting along in age.

Since the wilderness where they live is of a fair size they may establish their own territories and still come to visit you for food. Some day they may bring their new mates.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

George, I'll remember your anti-bite training, but I'm going to try not to get bitten. As for backing into one, they are virtually always all on the same side of me - the exceptions being the 1 or 2 times when they were in the middle of the yard somewhere when I came out and then they followed me, although always from a distance. They are much more comfortable when I am not between them and the forest (as am I). If you look at the picture at the top of the thread, the fence/forest is behind them, and I am in front of them. That is our usual positioning.

Tonight I had a few large dog biscuits. I got brave and held one out to the raccoon that was closest to me. He looked a little anxious at 1st. As he stood there staring at me and trying to figure out what I was doing, he became increasingly afraid. His back began to arch slightly as he leaned backward away from me then turned and scooted away some 5-6 ft before feeling comfortable again.

Tonight I had 2 more packs of the cat treats. They really like those - greenies for cats. Don't worry the cat ones are tiny, tiny. Again a few dropped by my feet as I was pouring them from the packets into my hands. A few of the kids kept wanting to come and get them but were afraid to chance it. They kept standing some 4ft away and sniffing. I know that's what they were after because they run around trying to find the cat treats 1st even when surrounded by lots of dog food nuggets.

I also had a few large (6"x9"x1/4")slices of roast beef from the deli. I tossed 2 of them way back by the fence where Fraidy was hanging out alone. She grabbed them and ran over the fence with them. I was glad to see her get something substantial. (Hopefully, that won't ruin her diet).

Lastly, (and this is off topic but I have to say it when I can remember it if you know what i mean) previously someone raised the topic of natural predators, saying that adult raccoons have none. Well, maybe not there, but here we have alligators, and by "here" I mean in the ponds in my neighborhood including the one across the street! Considering how raccoons love water, I'd think the alligators represent a real threat to them. We also have bobcats, fox, owls, osprey, eagles, and other large raptors.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I found what seems like it might be a great email list on yahoo--called "Raccoonwatchers." It states it's for people who like to watch, feed and care about raccoons, but NOT for pet owners or breeders. Just people like us. So I joined. Their messages are public, so you can read them without joining, but I recommend joining just for the time it takes you to look through their photo files. Adorable. And there are 2 or so pictures of an albino raccoon. Looks like the list started in 1996, so people should have been through some of what we are going through. There are pics of people hand feeding the kids, and pics of little babies. To join you can just send an empty email to:

raccoonwatchers-subscribe @ yahoogroups.com

Otherwise just go to the home page and check it out. I have video cam on, but no Sadie yet. Should be interesting as I put out a container of yogurt. Wonder where I'll find it tomorrow??
Cheryl--I was thinking you could call your health dept. and see if they have the oral vaccine for raccoons. Tell them you have some that keep raiding your feeders and you don't want to get rid of them, just make sure they don't get rabies. Wonder what they will say. I need to call ours to make sure they hit our area. That list did a small poll and (of course) the main thing that they feel turn people off to raccoons is the rabies scare. It does worry me. Have a nice night. Karen

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Alligators in SC??? That's impressive, and a tad scary. I don't think foxes prey on raccoons, but bobcats would, as would the large raptors and certainly the gators.

Had to laugh that the coons like feline greenies; my cats think they're the greatest thing ever!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, heck yeah, we've got some alligators here in SC. I grew up inland in Berkeley County where I rode my horses along the Tail Race Canal on the Santee River. There was a whole section where the trail went along a dirt road adjacent to the water and all you could hear was "scramble", "splash", "scramble", "splash" as the alligators that had been sunning themselves on the trail ran down the bank and into the water when they saw the horse approaching. Then you could see the impression of the alligators in the sandy surface of the road where they had been sunbathing moments earlier. As long as I was on a 1200 plus pound horse I wasn't afraid of them.

In Spring my HOA bulletin reminded us not to "play" with our neighborhood alligators while they are sunning themselves on the banks of the ponds. A few people had to call for help (removal) when a large alligator became aggressive and started hanging out on their patios. By law we are not allowed to mess with, harass, or FEED the alligators. It seems people had been feeding the "bad" alligator and that had caused him to associate humans with lunch (not good for a predator that can eat you) and start hanging out in peoples back yards demanding that lunch (in any form dead or alive). As a result, he had to be removed.

The ponds in my community are nice with weeping willows along the banks, constantly surrounded by ibis, herons, egrets, mallards, Canada Geese, etc, but I am VERY glad that my house is not directly on the pond because you can often SEE the aligators moving through the water. It had been a tough choice for me because I could not be both on the pond and adjacent to the forest; I chose the later.

We CELEBRATE our alligators here. When a local military base was built, I'm proud (and a bit surprised) to say that they built it around the wildlife so instead of moving the huge male aligator that lived on the property, they built a double fence around the perimiter (wide not narrow) and left him and his streams and bogs in between. (I figure that adds to the security) They even named him Charlie, named several nearby streets after him, and posted a sign on the fence saying "Charlie's Place". So now if anyone is thinking of climbing the fence they not only have to think about the usual guys on patrol, they have to worry about Charlie.

Several sources I checked listed the fox as a predator of the raccoon which surprised me, too. Maybe they prey on the kits. I hear an owl in the forest back there and have seen some sizable hawks in my yard so I don't leave my small dog outside unattended. At 4.5lbs the large raptors could fly away with him in a heartbeat.

When I 1st got my Maltese puppy, he was so cute and SO annoying. I swear he needs Ritalin. He couldn't be still for 2 consecutive minutes and he sampled everything with his teeth. He chewed on the telephone, the laptop, you name it. Then we found Greenies. It was like a pacifier for dogs. It was the 1st time in the weeks since I got him that he sat still for an hour or so and just chewed on that one thing. So I bought a huge bag of them to keep him busy. The bag came with several sample packets of the cat greenies. I was surprised when the dog showed no interest in them at all. When I got the idea to offer them to the raccoons I was equally surprised when they showed a clear preference for them, searching out the tiny greenies in the tall grass while passing over the large dog food. nuggets. It was apparently the greenies that caused 4 of them to choose to come so close to me the night before even when there was plenty of food farther away - but I had the greenies. Actually, they showed more interest in the greenies than the roast beef.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, and about those alligators...on one side, the forest where Heidi and the kids live borders one of the ponds. I'm glad that they've found water in my yard - water which was originally intended for the birds - otherwise, they might be more inclined to go down to the pond and ... small dogs and cats are known to dissappear this way as they apparently make tasty appetizers.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Yep, my mother-in-law lived in Florida for many years and they had alligators in ponds near their plan. The newspaper would print how many dog/cat, etc. collars were found in dead alligators stomachs. Gives one chills. Karen

OK, I can visualize a fox preying on young raccoons; but in a tangle between adult raccoon and fox, I'd put my money on the coon any day. I've seen what they can do to large dogs when they're being attacked; and a fox is just a smaller (and gorgeous) wild canid.

It's really cool that your community respects and protects the gators, but I have to ask: what kind of fool feeds alligators????? Does the same person go to the ocean and feed the great white sharks? Come on, feeding peacocks is one thing (though not advisable) - but alligators?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Karen,

We don't have quite the alligator problem here that they have in Florida, atleast not yet. You aren't likely to ever see one unless you live directly by one of the ponds or otherwise go to there habitats. (Even the folks on the ponds don't necessarily even see them.) If you live in alligator territory you know, or certainly should know, not to let small children or pets play near the water's edge of freshwater ponds, swamps, etc. Even before the 1st alligator was reported in one of the ponds, I would not let my little dog go near the pond because I knew one could be in there hiding.

Also, in parts of Florida they have crocodiles in addition to alligators. Crocs are considerably larger, more aggressive, and more dangerous than alligators. Alligators are usually afraid of adults, and are rarely inclined to attack adult humans; crocs, on the other hand, consider us an entree.

I've lived here most of my life and except for the horseback riding experience described above, I never see them. We spent lots of time boating, skiing, fishing, and even swiming in the same body of water that bordered that horseback riding trail - the one with the alligators in it - and we never saw an alligator. (If not for the riding experience, I wouldn't have even known they were in there.)

But...the one time my other little dog ran down to the waters edge to check it out, I was quick to run down there to grab her. And I imagine that they represent a real danger to raccoons and other small animals that go to the ponds for water.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I felt the same way about the fox vs raccoon thing, but they are listed as one of the predators for raccoons. I'm not sure what kind of moron feeds an alligator, but from what I've seen on tv, it happens more often than you'd think. It's the same as feeding bears. Alligators are naturally afraid of humans. Feeding them causes them to loose their natural fear of humans and to associate humans with food - a potentially lethal combination for a predator that can actually kill and eat you.

Admittedly, I probably shouldn't be feeding the raccoons, either, but I draw the line at anything that might consider me lunch. As I said above, alligators usually run from humans, especially adults. That may be part of the reason that some people are not sufficiently afraid of them. Also, people don't realize how fast alligators can move. Normally, alligators "drag" themselves around in a slow and ungainly manner when on land. As a result, people think they pose little danger on land; after all, you could just run away from such a sluggish creature, right? But actually, they can stand up on their legs (bellies off the ground) and run about 35 mph or so while the record for human sprinters (exceptional athletes not average people) is around 27mph. So, that slow, ungainly, dragging movement is very misleading.

Anyhow, once people start feeding them, they have to be destroyed which is sad.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Need your thoughts. Last am (about 2:30am) I had seen Sadie eat and figured she had gone. I needed to get something from the car, so I used the flashlight and didn't see her anywhere. So I went to the car. On the way back to the house I heard a fight up in the upper woods--hissing, snarling, spitting. It lasted about 15 seconds or so. I am not sure what she ran into, but this morning the feeding station was completely changed from the way she left it at 2:30--the dog dish was totally empty (she had left some dog food and a carton of yogurt she didn't apparently like)-and put on top of the water bowl. The yogurt container was found empty over along the treeline. Your thoughts on the subject?? Did another raccoon enter her territory? Or was it some other animal?? Tonight so far, she came and ate about 12:30am. and then left. Just now at 1:40am something else is at the dish-I can't see it too well until we get the infrared lights. But it ate from the bowl, rolled the bowl around, don't know what it was but I "think" I could tell a whip tail, not a coon tail--so what do I have here? I am thinking of going on the porch and shine the flashlight out to see what I might see......Didn't see any eyes shining anywhere. Who is the extra critter? Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Could it be an oppossum? I used to have one that came by sometimes to eat, usually after the raccoon(s) had left. More recently when Snowball (the baby oppossum) tried to eat some of the dog food, Heidi chased him away. I now suspect it was Snowball that Heidi was snarling and spitting at on the other side of the fence (over the bag of food). Just a thought. I don't know what other types of critters you might have up there. (BTW, raccoons make the spitting, snarling, growling sounds similiar to cats.)

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

My husband and I do think it is an opossum, as it did come after Sadie had left. And maybe it was who she was snarling at the other night. Then an hour of so after the possum left, a raccoon came back--I don't think it was Sadie as it ate all the things she didn't like. So maybe I have 2 coons. Don't know what to call #2, but possum's name is Oscar (since they are good actors at playing dead). Don't think I'll be able to stay up that late tonight.
Cheryl, did you go to that email site on yahoo and join long enough to see the pics? You will love them. Also, I did join and got some nice emails from the members today. Karen

Based on the whip tail, I'd also guess an opossum: kinda smelly and homely, but very useful cleanup crew scavengers. They can usually peacefully co-exist around raccoons: lots of vocal threats of mayhem and destruction, usually from the coons, but rarely physical contact. And more than one raccoon can share a territory; they somehow avoid each other, for the most part.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Karen, also often my coons eat their favorite stuff around dusk when they are very hungry and then come back later to eat the rest later in the night.

Sorry, no, I haven't had time to do the list thing yet. Right now my schedule is awful. Sunday evening I felt like I needed another day off just to rest up from all of the work I did this weekend. This morning I feel like I need a nap. Right now I'm in a crunch at work and at home, both in the house and in the garden, so no rest for the weary.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Last night, I had one raccoon earlier (around 11:30), then two raccoons around 2 am. So now I know I either have two or three raccoons and an opossum. Never knew night life in my yard/woods was so busy. I have to get a new vcr so that I can tape the night and go to sleep earlier-then I can fast forward through the dead parts. Husband says the infra red lights should be in this week--that should make it a lot easier to see what is going on there--IF they can't see the light. My husband doesn't think they can see ultrared light, does anyone know?? Thanks, Karen

I'm guessing, but I also don't think coons and/or possums can see the infrared part of the light spectrum.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I called the wildlife people for area, and they told me that our area had been targeted for the oral rabies vaccine, and that it had already been delivered by air. The rate is 200/sq. mile. So I hope Sadie finds one. He also told me that the reason NOT to feed the raccoons is that word gets around and raccoons from other areas will come in and may bring disease with them. I thought that was a valid reason. So.....in watching my coon cam, I found out that Sadie comes first and the two other raccoons come a couple hours later, so I put out enough feed for her to eat all of it, leaving no more for the other group. At least that seems to have worked the last two nights. So, Cheryl what is going on with Heidi and the group? Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Karen,
Glad to hear that Sadie may be getting treated. I don't have to worry too much about a 2nd crew coming in to clean up after my SIX coons. LOL. I don't even give them enough to completely fill all of their little bellies. They can eat a whole box of dog biscuits in 1 sitting.
Sorry, I've been SO busy just lately. Too many projects, too little time. Last Sunday afternoon as the weekend was winding down I was thinking that I needed a day OFF to rest from the weekend before going back to work. I bought and have been assembling some heavy furniture. I'm rearranging and redecorating inside so it's all chaotic in here. Outside, the gardening is, of course, never, ever done. At work I have a big project deadline looming. I'm SO tired!!! Some days I just feel like collapsing, like I'll never make it.
As for Heidi and crew, they are doing fine. So far, so good. So far they have violated all of the rules. Contrary to what some said, they don't hang around the house and bother things. I don't see them for days at a time - I figure they are off hunting and foraging somewhere. Sometimes I see where they've rooted around the edges of the lawn for grubs, no serious damage though. I fed them 2 nights this week and enjoyed every minute of it. I still think they are incredibly adorable. I feel very, very lucky to have had this opportunity to know them and to spend time with them.
Several nights I waited for them but they did not show up. I last saw them 2 nights ago. One of them came up very close to me. He'd grab some food and back away. Sometimes he'd stand up and look at me. I think sometimes when they feel relatively comfortable they become curious about me, want to check me out. But they never show any signs of aggression. They always seem very sweet and good natured and just curious.
They are also ALWAYS on alert and ready to run away at the slightest provocation. They run back over the fence 2 or 3 times some nights, running when a dog barks down the street or a plane flies over or the A/C unit clicks on or off or even if I sneeze or swat a mosquito. Don't worry. They are certainly not tame. Lately, they don't usually come to me unless I call them. I'll see a little head or 2 appear at the top of the fence under the branches. Then when I call them they will start to spill over the fence in mass.
Last night I grabbed some take out. I brought them some rolls, corn, potatoes, and a chicken sandwich but they didn't show up. So far I haven't seen them tonight either.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well, Scutler, I'll bet they'll be back, but I wouldn't be surprised if a weaning process is in place. Keep an eye out for that little Fraidy coon, though. She or he seems to need that little extra TLC. I'm always a sucker for the underdog.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, venu209,

At the very least, Heidi seems to be taking the opportunity to take them on hunting and foraging lessons. There are lots of seeds and berries and such around this time of year, too. I saw Fraidy on Wednesday night. She is very small compared to the others. Actually, Trouble is virtually the same size as Heidi except that his head is narrower and his body a bit lankier. Two of the kits are just a tad smaller than Trouble. Those 3, Trouble and the next 2 in size, are all relatively assertive. They, along with Heidi, are the ones most likely to be out front, to stream over the fence quickly when I call, and to come closest to me in search of the best treats.

Fraidy is still the smallest, and it seems that the difference between her and the others grows daily. These days she almost looks like a dwarf next to them. The 5th kit is also small, being just a little larger than Fraidy. Fraidy is always last over the fence, sometimes lagging the others by a substantial period of time; I think this may be the reason I originally counted only 4. It seems like she hangs back to see if anything bad happens to the front runners, only venturing out when it becomes evident that all is safe. Even then, she moves cautiously over the fence and rarely strays far from the safety of that fence. When she joins us I always make sure to toss some of the treats to her by the fence. Often she will grab one and run back to the top of the fence to eat it. She rarely eats more than 2 or 3 pieces before exiting again. For this reason it is difficult for me to do a lot for her. However, if I didn't toss some treats to her at the fence, she probably wouldn't even get those. She won't venture far from the safety of the fence in search of food, and the others will take food from her and run her off if she get too close to "their" food - I figure they do this because they can.

The other smallish kit is somewhere between Fraidy and the others. While noticeably smaller than the others and closer in size to Fraidy, he is still large enough to be distinguishable from her. He generally, though not always, comes over the fence with the front runners, but always taking up the rear. While he, like Fraidy, tends to hug the fence, unlike her he will move out some 3-4 ft from the fence is search of treats, which he will often take back to the fence for eating. Unlike Fraidy, he doesn't run back up and/or over the fence to eat. He usually stays out for some 1/2 to 2/3 of the time the others are eating. When Fraidy does come out to eat, she tends to "hang" with him. The two of them seem more comfortable together, while the front runners tend to stick with each other, and Heidi hangs with the latter group. Neither Fraidy nor this other small kit ever get anywhere near me. They always let the assertive group insulate them from danger. So if I'm 20ft from the fence, Heidi and the 3 larger more assertive kits will eat in an area ranging from about 10 to 17ft out, favoring the region closest to me if there is any food there. Fraidy will hug the "rail", and the other small one will cover a range from 0 to 5 ft or so out. On occaision the other small one will get comfortable enough to venture into the edges of the territory where the assertive group is eating. They may tolerate a little of this but will often "shoo" him off, back to the fence zone.

Trouble is like the "cool" kid at school, the one everyone else wants to hang with. He's always out front, testing the water, taking the risks, and having the neat experiences. The other 2 large ones along with Heidi are like the kids that "travel" with the cool kid. The are always with Trouble, but at his flanks, not out front. They benefit from his risk taking and "act" as if they are the ones that made it happen, but, it's almost always Trouble at the front line. Fraidy and the other small fry are the shy kids that don't get to hang out with the cool kids.

As I aluded to before, Heidi seems to "favor" the assertive group. While that goes against our desire to help the weak and the under dog, I think it makes sense from the perspective of nature. In the wild, mothers often don't "waste" energy on the ones that are deemed less likely to survive. Heidi is always with the assertive group. The only times that I have seen her near the shy group, she appeared to push them away, sending them back to the perimeter. I gather that while she lets them stay with the group, she has sort of written them off already.

Heidi, BTW, seems to particularly "favor" Trouble. I have noticed that she can almost always be found on his "flanks". The 2 often eat together, their bodies aligned in a similiar manner with Heidi's head at his hind quarters. They don't shun the other 2 assertive kits who often eat with them, they just always seem to be close together and in roughly the same position.

Well, as you can see, I'm a critter watcher. I enjoy observing their behavior, and with all creatures am often surprised at the similarities between them and us. As for Fraidy, I am trying to help. I always toss her food, even try to give her the better stuff as with the roast beef. But while she may need my help the most, she is the least likely to come near me. Since she "uses" the others as a shield to protect her from me and as testers, I fear that when they are gone she will not come out so that I can help her.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Poor Fraidy. The Whiffet (and his mother) have told me to put out a good bit of food to try to bulk them up for the winter (between now and Dec. 1)--after that they will start the winter semi-hibernation and don't seem to want to go out for feed if there is any snow on the ground (you are lucky in that respect--here we get snow). They can lose up to 50% of their body weight in the winter. And a book I am reading on raccoons does say that malnutrition is one of the main causes of death in the young raccoon population through the winter season. So unless Fraidy learns to forage well on her own, she may not make the winter. Survival of the fittest, isn't it. I guess we can hope that she (at least) stays around your place and isn't chased off by Heidi, thereby getting a little nutrition. I have some left over Pet Tabs (for dogs) and I have been putting 1/2 of one in Sadie's food every other day or so. She is pretty much eating everything I put out (quite a bit) and not leaving anything for anyone else. Then she goes up to raid what is left of the peanuts in the squirrel feeder--so I guess she is hungry or nature is telling her to eat, eat, eat. My husband did bring home the infrared light, now all he has to do is figure out how to get it up and waterproof it. Also, raccoons are so inquisitive, I had one come right up to the camera and put his nose on it. Very cute. Then I can video the site all night and still get sleep. And I asked the question about more raccoons moving in if I leave more food out on the email list, and people poo-pooed the idea. Most said that their population remains pretty stable--some young ones leaving and other young ones coming into the area, but putting out more food did NOT lead to an influx of strange coons from other areas. Boy was I glad to hear that!! Good luck with your project and let us know what's happening with the kids. Sending good thoughts for Fraidy and the others. Karen PS would you ever think of having wild rescue trap her and put her in home (like Whiffet??)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Karen,

I can't deny that I'm concerned about Fraidy, not so much for winter as for the time when she is forced to make it on her own. Winter here is actually far less hostile than summer. I last saw a snow flake in 1997. We get a flurry about once, maybe twice, per decade. If we are lucky it may be enough to just barely cover the ground. If we are luckier still it may "stick" for a day. It is almost unheard of for the snow to make it beyond noon of the 2nd day - and, again, that's the once-per-decade snow flurry. (One fall I left here for a trip to PA. I left wearing a sundress and sandals as that was more than appropriate here. We drove so it took a day or so. By the time I got there I had changed to jeans, boots, and a faux fur coat with hood. BIG difference.)

From what I've read raccoons in the north are 10-15lbs larger than in the south, and here they don't need to hibernate. They can continue to hunt and forage year round. I often have the A/C running on New Year's day! I have a split leaf philadendron growing in a POT in front of my garage; it has been out there for 6 yrs - that's a Zone 10-11 plant. For most of the winter our lows are in the 40s and 50s with daytime temps in the 60s and 70s. We have a handful of nights that dip to the 30s and maybe 3 nights that dip to the extreme low of 28F - the next day will go back up to the 60s. I don't think they face a huge challenge here in winter, just a few chilly nights. I even have flowers all year round in my yard, roses bloom until somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Camelias bloom Dec through April, Flowering Quince blooms January through early summer, etc. All of these plants (and others I'm sure) produce edible fruits, so I suspect there is a lot more food here than we realize.

I still think one of the biggest threats to their survival here may be the ponds. I've read that raccoons prefer seafood, and we know they love water. There are fish in the ponds. If the raccoons wander down to the ponds in search of a seafood buffet, they risk becoming gator bate real fast. Of course, that's more likely to happen to Trouble than to Fraidy. Poor Fraidy is too unwilling to leave the safety of her tree, so she isn't likely to meet up with the alligators.

If she stays around I'll try to feed her, but right now she doesn't even come into the yard (with the others) to raid the feeders. And she's too afraid of me to even let me feed her. I've considered calling the lady who originally suggested that I feed Heidi to see what she thinks about Fraidy's situation. I love the little guys but know that I would have difficulty with the idea of living with an animal that would shred the furniture and destroy the house for amusement. I toyed with the idea of keeping her in the yard - altering the fence to keep her from leaving (but that would also keep others from visiting) and adding a "house" like George suggested. I found a website with plans for a raccoon nest box. I meant to post that link. Will see if I can drag it out in case anyone is interested. Heck, I'd be happy to feed her and let her come and go (stay wild) but, again, she's too afraid of me. While she is the one that most needs my help, she is the least likely to accept it.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I just hope Heidi doesn't chase her off her territory. That would be difficult for her. Well, maybe we don't give her enough credit, maybe she can find enough to eat on her own since it is so much warmer down there than up here (PA). I guess we watch, wait and keep feeding her as often as possible. Keep us updated. What are you calling her spooky brother? Maybe he will help take care of her--does it look like that? Karen

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Not that this is directly related to the subject, but man am I sick. (May effect updates). Started with sudden gastro-intestinal distress mid morning, followed by severe muscle cramps all over my body (very, very painful), and fever - currently around 101 so not terrible but still part of the symptoms. Haven't intentionally eaten spinach but did eat lettuce a few times this week in sandwiches and salads at restaurants. No reports of tainted spinach for my state so far so probably unrelated. I REALLY didn't need this right now - I know, who does - because as I mentioned I have SO much work to do. Have spent day in bed covered up to the ears and thrashing about from random, stabbing muscle pain. Don't think I'll be feeding the kids tonight.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Scutler,
Down here I would say with those symptoms, don't rule out west nile. Get to a dr and see what is going on, better safe than sorry.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Sheila,
Oh, that's not good. My vet told me that we have had cases of West Nile and Lyme's disease (don't know what symptoms are for this). I have been bitten by mosquitos recently; thought they might carry me off one day last week - couldn't find my (multiple bottles of) DEET. Also, about a week and 1/2 ago at work we were evacuated for several hours during which we could not leave the grounds. A number of us, myself included, sat on the grass. Within hours I found 3 swollen itchy areas on my body, including 1 tick. Then I remembered that at night whole herds of deer graze around the grounds.
Unless I get markedly worse, I think I'll wait until Monday to go to the Dr. Do you think that is too long? Otherwise, I'll have to go to one of those "emergi-care" type places.
BTW, I just "boiled" myself beet red in a super hot tub. May not have been a medically sound approach but sure made my muscles feel SO much better, like a giant heating pad. Now my temp is probably around 212F. (kidding, of course). I think I feel a tiny bit better now than I did earlier today.

Thanks for the info.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just looked up West Nile. I do have all of those symptoms but I also have GI symptoms which don't seem to be associated with W Nile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.