Another heads up guys and gals!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jax....you're not over weight at all....I'd love to weigh that!!! When folks ask me when I'm due....I smile sweetly and say 14 years ago. Try that one next time they ask...the reactions are priceless!!

Tampa, FL

Oh ladies, i can't just not be a part of this....My hubby and i have NO kids!! And i can't say i have ever had the inkling of wanting them. Should i need to nurture..we have a gazillion nephews and nieces..with a gazillion babies..i am happy to see them come and enjoy them and their little rugrats..and i am happy to see them go!! Hubby wanted a Vasectomy before i ever met him...i had the usual female probs. and obliged us both!! I think we are too selfish..now in our midlife years..i see so many problems my sisterinlaws are having with their families...i thought it would be nice in our twilight years to have kids...but their kids are never around for them!! (not all..some are very nice). So thats my story and i'm sticking to it...Becky..when people ask don't u wish you had some...i think it un-nerves them, my honesty says..no thank you...like i have committed a crime! Ah, mind yer own business doo-doo heads...(borrowed that from Plantngal..or someone here....). giggle! sue speaking of weight ...i have to brag i am a shrimp 5foot 2inc. just lost 22 lbs...with LA weight loss...tough diet..but i am off my blood pressure meds. and i am not pre-diabetic anymore!! Yaayyyy! Went from a size 14..to a size 6! (honest!) Yaaayyyy...bike 4 miles a day...yayy...had to brag a little girls..it is taking forever. (4 months of seesawing..with weight)..sorry! It is a shame tho. the face looked better with some fat on it...boo-hooo....enough tooting my own horn.....i just worked so hhharrddd. sue - that little ol' pruneface...

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

What great stories, ladies..! I couldn't agree more with Melissa (Jax), I don't think we can handle more. Later on down the road in the future somewhere, MAYBE, but not now. My principal, that I hold on very tightly when it comes to a child, it's the quality, not quantity. I'd love to be able to afford my son to an ivy league school, if he decided to go there, or anywhere, college is just plain expensive, and we want to be able to afford that for him. Dh and I are both lucky to have parents that supports our college tuition fully up till we graduated, we don't have to worry about financial aid or things like that, and when we did work part time while we were in college, that's extra money besides allowances that our parents gave us anyway. We just want to be able to do that to our son, so once he finished his education, he'll start off fresh. I know it's still far down the road, and as Sue said, the future is very unpredictable, so we can only hope everything will go the way we want it to.
Honestly, I learn a lot from you ladies these past couple of days. I used to think that I'm weird. People would tell me that I'm blessed that I can have more children but I don't want to, while there are people out there that are struggling to have one. Now that I think about it, I don't think it's fair to say those things. If we can only take care of one, then that's it. I'm sorry for those people that are struggling to have a child, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but we can't make it our problem.
I'm just gonna jump off my soap box for now...LOL.

Let me just tell y'all a secret, LOL...Before my son, I can fit in a size 2...*sigh*...
Hip won't be the same anymore, will they? How can those celebrities go back to their normal weight or less so fast?!
Since I'm not going to eat much for the next 2 weeks, I consider this a weight loss plan...LOL..

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue - I am SOOOO proud of you!!! Good for you! Losing weight is so difficult - putting it on seems so easy!! Pass the Pepsi, blooming onion and Chocolate...LOL
None of you should have to "explain" why you have none, one, or a dozen children. That is so NOT acceptable for people to question. I'm sorry those without children have had to endure those comments....right up there with someone asking how much you weigh, eh? LOL Here's a thought - maybe ask the person asking what their sexual preferences are. THAT would be just an inappropriate!! Aren't ya'll glad I'm so UNopinionated!?!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahem, Chantell I do need to find a better synonym for "un - opinionated"! Hehehehe
Weeds, I so understand, actually, now in our "twilight years" (sorry, Chantell, just had to refer to the "old and decrepit" part again) people often tell us how lucky WE are with NO kids.....I have loads of cousins with loads of rug rats and I am more than happy to spend stupid amounts of $ on their kids...I am such a sucker for little girls clothes, the more inappropriate they are, the better....(whites, off whites, "bling" jeans etc.). Good job on the weight loss - I think dieting is like quitting smoking - incredible hard to do!
Bailey - you have made a good decision in YOUR life, people can be incredibly insensitive to issues that is none of their business - and if we want to change the direction of the conversation totally, there are so many people that should NOT be allowed to have kids! That was my biggest issue when I realized I was unable to have any - the "why me?" syndrome! That lasted for a fleeting second and I went back to the no inkling part! Hehehe!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Wow, at 1,076 views we are becoming the new Oprah!

****frenzied applause*****

BK, size 2 is not a size unless you are shopping at Chico's . I absolutely loved "the Devil wears Prada" but that was my only beef.

I am considered pretty slim this part of the country and I am nowhere near a 2

Tampa, FL

Even near a size 2 IS slim!! And i was just starting to really like you Erin!!(you know i am joshing ) HOWEVER,,, If i see that weight loss commercial for the girl (nutrisystem i think) one more time she says..."This skirt is a size twoooo ". I am so tired of looking at her...i want to just give her a good wallop in the puss...and stick a huge cheesecake in her face with lots of whipped cream..and say: Eat this you little pain in the butt, and I hope you get FATagain!!!! WELL, i now feel SO much better!! lol!!!! They really overdo the repetition of the same annoying commercials....sue

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

when I said pretty slim I was adding a good bit to the 2

LOL

I'm not even close! my LH still thinks I'm hot, though! It's all in the attitude....

Tampa, FL

And if Hubby thinks you're Hot!! That is all that is important! (of course you need to think that too..)! One should always think well of one's self.....Dr Phil has spoken....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue....I'm sensing some anger issues...LOL Really how to you feel about the commericals?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL I was just thinking the same.....watch out gals, remember who Chantell works for, she'll be over analyzing us before we know it! LMAO
Speaking of Chico's - they have slowly turned into my very favorite store (we have an outlet here), not cheap, but the clothes last forever!!!!!!! And wearing a size 1/2 from them makes me feel pretty good! It is the only size 2 I will EVER fit in - I don't think I have been a size 2 since I was, ahem, 12!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Did someone say Cheesecake???? Yummmmm...
DH made me mad today for being hungry all the time and I only get to swallow a few spoons of potato salad...! grrrr...I swear once this whole teeth thing is done with, I'm going to chew and munch on food the whole day..!

Sue's "anger" towards that commercial lady is just hilarious...! HAHAHAHAHA....ROFL...

This thread is similar when Dr. Phil is being a guest at Oprah's....lol...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

It's one of the hazards of working there so long...LOL.

BK - I'm so sorry for you...we'll send you care packages when you can chew....just let us know. It'll be a contest of who sends the best morsal!!!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Isn't Chico's the BEST!!! Elastic waist bands RULE!!! I'm a 1 up top in Chico's and a size 1.5 or 2 in the bottoms. I once had to have a tailor take in a Chico's 2, and I got a note saying they are "already a size 2-- can't take them in anymore"-- LOLOL!!!! I'm really a 12, but I am a complete vegetarian, and I really don't see how I could eat less. Still, my butt looks like a double-exposure photo of a full moon, craters and all.

BTW, the celebs get tummy tucks after the babies!!! They can afford it and have plastic surgeons ready. Then they have personal trainers and people to watch the baby. They have to be skinny, because they make their living showing their bodies. What makes me mad is that fat male actors always get work!!! Look at Jim Belushi and Tom Arnold-- ugly and fat.

Weeds, good for you in your decision not to have kids. My Brother-in-law and his wife made that decision, and they are always partying, traveling, camping... plus they have enough money to live on one salary!!! Their house is huge and nicer than any of ours; they throw parties and friends stay over. I love my son to death, but I do get jealous!!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Aaww, thanks, Chantell..!
Lemme just tell y'all one thing, once all this teeth ordeal is done, I'm not eating potatoes for a loooong while... My diet consists of ovaltine and mashed potatoes right now. Definitely not low carb...Wonder if I can still lose weight by doing this...LOL.
My mother told me though, once you have a baby, no matter if you lost weight or not, the hips just won't go back as it used to be....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

BK - I would agree re the hips....but I must put in my 2 cents here. Any weight I've put on through the years was done by myself. With all four pregnancies I'd lost my pregnancy weight by my 6 week check. So I can't blame the prenancies...it was ALL my doing as to eating and exercise that caused my weight gain. The body does change there's no disputing that.

Tampa, FL

Hey Gals, Chantell, you know i was just "funn'in, (welll...sort of)dieting does make a girl a teeny bit cranky...not supposed to say the bad word "diet" at LA weight loss,,i call my LA counselors "The Gestapo Girls"...they are not amused.. In truth they really are excellent and have all loss massive amounts of weight so they have my respect..i am not a diciplined person so they have their work cut out for them.. so you work for psychiatrists eh? i would bet after a day there you feel quite deliciously normal!! I really do hate commercials that are played too much. Love Chicos! Their clothes are flattering and the colors and materials are really pretty! It is the one store that is always crowded with women! It is so geared for "shall we say the mature women", the sizes make us all feel soo tiny.. wow Becky an outlet!!! I didn't know they had them...I also like the nice rustic colors of "Coldwater Creek" Did i get that right? It sort of has a "Chico's style to it"..I am trying not to buy too many clothes, as i have 20 lbs more to go.how did all this weight creep on me??? giggle.....Pizza..ice cream....pasta....chocolate...nacho chips..with lots of melted cheese....soft chocolate chip cookies. lolling about watching the tube..ah those were the days.....you can't tell i'm dieting oh excuse me.. eating correctly.....think i will go and munch some celery..oh boy excitement!!! Jax, "Double exposure of a full moon, craters & all..." lol..lol...almost like poetry...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue - I knew you were teasing...I was too...my sarcastic side just never stays dormant for more then 2-3 min's at a time...LOL. Celery though? OMG...just can't do that...I've got to at least have carrots...I seriously like carrots!! So I'm thinkin' if I grab carrots instead of the Hershey's syrup...I'd be smaller...LOL. Ya think?!
I too love Chicos...my I get them via my mom's hand me downs...how funny is that?! She's always had great taste and we have the same coloring...so it works!!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Chantell

I have the same sarcastic gene, runs in the family. We like our humor dry and twisted. Hey, sounds like one of those yuppy martinis!

I had the silly idea that I would lose weight while I was on medical leave but taking all that Advil with food has blown that idea to bits. At least I didn't gain like a lot of people do. And after seeing my tummy the day after surgery, with all the laparoscopic air still blown into it plus the swelling, (I looked like I was ready to deliver! LOL)......I'm feeling pretty svelte now.

I really don't eat that much - and I've been switching more and more to healthy stuff - (brown rice, whole wheat bread, fruit, veggies, lean meat, soy milk ) - it's just that I need to exercise more. (okay, a couple of glasses of wine a night don't help, either) After surgery and 5 weeks off, my goal right now is to build my stamina back up. I walked 3/4 mile yesterday at about 1/3 of my usual pace (I'm a fast walker, I take big steps for a small person and i tend to stomp) and plan to just keep building a little at a time. I'm taking a pedometer and a watch because I have to start coming home in time that I don't completely poop out part way. What a pain! I waved at some old guy working on his lawn, by the time I got past his yard we could have had a 5 minute conversation!

I would love to take my little dog but if a big beast came after him I can't pick him up yet. So...put the dog and the cat in the house and sneak off. (the cat follows me around so I have to hide from him, too)

I need to check out a Chicos, I go back to work in a week and the wardrobe needs to be brightened up a bit.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

We should start a regular chat thread, like the coleus board does with "Coleus Chatters!" Mayb we can call ours "Bailey's Teeth"! LOL

What I can gather is we are all women faced with one crisis or another. I want to say you all have helped me so much this past week. On Monday, Sept. 11 (the day this thead started) I was hired by a start-up cosmetics company in Boston to do copywriting and art. I was fired last Monday!!! I wasn't "fast enough". I've felt like doo-doo all week (my DH is diappointed, and we got into a huge fight, now he isn't speaking to me).Basically, he wanted me to spend my measly paycheck to fix his car. I feel absolutely ridiculous next to those of you who are recovering from surgery!!! So this has helped me so much. Thank you, everybody.

BTW Erin, what is your "LH"? Lousy Husband? Can I borrow it?

I actually went to WalMart yesterday AND DID NOT BUY A SINGLE PLANT!!!! (I stopped at a greenhouse on the way home for 3 garden mums, tho!)

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Jax

Nah, my LH is a Loving Husband. I'm very lucky. He may roll his eyes and whatnot but he's a great guy. Besides, he's just as passionate about his interests as I am about mine.

I spent my outside time yesterday and today potting up plants (and not succulents, they are still in their baby pots. When my LH pulled into the driveway I was at the potting bench. My arms were covered in dirt up to the elbows, I had dirt marks on my face (got an itch!) and a huge s**t eating grin. He just laughed, said he was glad I was feeling better, and went inside. When I came in to wash up he poured me a glass of Chardonnay (and another, much bigger, glass of water) and we had a lovely evening.

It's a million degrees outside and I tire easily so I'm having to pot a little at a time. I'm trying to get "caught up" before my iris and bulbs arrive. Hopefully I'll have the chance to pot any succulents that would be in instant danger but I hate to repot twice just to avoid bugs. Maybe I'll try that systemic.

Tampa, FL

Cheer up jax, I was fired in Boston, Mass. (what's with Beantown..don't they appreciate talent??) at one time in my life, ( i was partying too hard and not paying attention to things!) It completely destroyed my confidence for awhile..but i did find another more interesting job! (funny i was a commercial cameraman and pasteup artist..with just a teeny bit of hardline artwork, worked with a nice copywriter too ) anyhoo..you will get over this..i knew you had talent when you so creatively described your backside..still chuckling over this...go smack hubby around it will make you feel better...chin up Girl!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

So, how's everyone weekend so far?

Sue, we know you're just joking..! When they play the same commercial over and over again, we do tend to get irritated and wish for the opposite thing for them..LOL.
There should be a thread in this forum called "Chatty Cactus Chatter" or something..for just everyone that want to chat about off topic things..
Melissa, glad that we all can help. So how are you feeling now? Hopefully somewhat better.
Erin, that's good that you're recovering.
This thread has helped me A LOT as well, it kept my mind off while the painkiller was kicking in, which I have stopped taking since yesterday. No pain, but still cant chew because it's not comfortable to chew.
I wasn't blaming the pregnancy for the weight gain. I did went back to my pre-weight a couple of months after, and then gained some again like in 6 months, because I went home to my parents (they live overseas) for 5 months and ate all the good stuff there...*giggling*..Now I'm not even trying hard enough. When I was at my pre-pregnancy weight, pants just got stuck at the hip part, my mom said it's normal...LOL.
Hope it's not against the rule of DG that a thread went waaay of topic...LOL.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

You might want to call it Chatty Cactus Chicks or something, I think we would have terrified anyone with testosterone about 200 posts ago!!!!

No Prickles allowed?

Sticker Shock?

Dry humour? or just Dry Ideas?

Succulent Sweeties?

:)

I know the FL gardening does "Much Ado about Nothing" for the same reason- a few of the ladies realized they wanted someplace to kick back, put their feet up, and talk for a minute about their day.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2006 3:40 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm all for a new thread being started...so it's specific to "chatting"...that way the guys don't have to weed thru anything and if we have a question regarding C & S is would need to be in it's own thread...sound good? The problem when these threads get too long is some folks with dial-up apparently wait forever for the whole thing to open up for them. Erin, love your ideas for thread titles!!

BK - ah....please don't think I was saying you were blaming weight on pregnancy...I'm sorry. Sometimes I type without putting thought into how I'm phrasing something. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just so many folks had said to me through the years - "well after have four babies..." I just shake my head...and say sweetly it had nothing to do with my four pregnancies - it had to do with bad choices I made with food and exercise. That's how it was for me, at least.

I try too...to say eating healthy vrs. "dieting" - and diet is something that starts and is finished at some point. I've tried to revamp how and what I prepare for meals. Now if I could just get the munching at night under control and get back to exercising...I'd be much more comfortable.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, no, I didn't even think that you did, Chantell..LOL...no worry, I know what you mean :o)

I agree, we should have a thread for off topic stuff in the C&S forum... I kinda like "Chatty Cactus Chick" and "Sticker Shock". But if we used the one with Chick, then our male members will even be more afraid to enter...LOL...

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Sticker Shock Talk?
Winding Down?
How about keeping it simple: "Nothing in Particular?"

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Love the "Nothing in Particular" . Perfect thread title. What do y'all think?
We, especially the ladies, definitely need a thread that can go off topic...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

"OT and some...."

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

OK, you asked for it!!! Here's the new thread. We can go as off-topic as we like, there isn't one! LOL

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/654700/

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Went into my local walmart today and these plants have finally made it to my store. Very nice plants and a great selection but as fate would have it,I already have most of them!!

dmichael

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah, sorry to hear that! That the day would come that I can say that...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.