Another heads up guys and gals!!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Your nearest walmart might have fresh new shipment of C&S for CHEAP!!!
The smaller pot only $1 and bigger one is $2.
Of course don't expect them to be miles2go quality, but if you "need" more plants and suffering from withdrawl, this will temporarily fix it. BTW, they are still nice looking, not overwatered, etc....Also, the selection isn't bad at all...Many Madagascar Palm (?), Ferocactus, rat tail cactus, etc...Nice size too, not mini ones..the pots are 2.5 inches and 3-4 inches (I think).
Plants in the picture are the ones that followed me home. Went in for diapers went out with 13 new C&S in the back of the wagon and diapers, of course. LOL...

Maybe you can see the price on the wrappers in my picture, left side are bigger ones ($2), right side smaller pots ($1).

Now I have 3 astrophytum ornatum in 3 different sizes...LOL.

Thumbnail by baileykat
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! That IS a great buy!!! That one looks like a paper spine...OMG...can not believe how great you did!!! I'm 1/2 praying mine doesN'T get any in...mercy!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL, Chantell.....I know what you're talking about the half praying thing....But you know deep down that you might "need" some of these to complete your collection....ROFL...

So, that's what it's called, "paper spines". I told my dh to touch it and he looked at me weird, so I finally told him that it's like paper and touched it, he still didn't believe me, but finally did it anyway....LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

BK - I can't see it completely but from the pic that's what it looks like. Unbelieveable that Wally World would get in some of those...now if they'd simply get in a HUGE plant stand for me....I'd be a happy camper...LOL

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Ditto on the huge plant stand, Chantell..

Checked the plant files for paper spine cactus, it is the same one I got. Nice size too, about 4 inches tall, well branched/pups....

Here's the clearer picture of it..

Thumbnail by baileykat
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus. You wouldn't believe it was the same plant if you saw it in habitat. Here's a picture I took of one in Argentina about 2 years ago:

Thumbnail by faeden
Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Maybe the CA Walmarts know that their customers will appreciate nice cacti since you lucky folks live in Plant Heaven. My Walmart has never come close to those values. Good for you, baileykat! (Probably good for me too, I'd only have to go fill up my cart if they priced them at $1.)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, who would've thought it looks like that in their habitat...

Sometimes you'll be surprised what kind of plants WM gets. Not good for my wallet...LOL..

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got that plants at Wal Mart too... Very cheap!
Anna

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, you've got some very nice plants! I got lots my new cacti at WM too. You are right though, not the best quality, but the plants aren't too bad. The batch at the WM here had a few not so good looking cacti, but most were really nice. You've got a great selection there though!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Awghhhh....now I've gotta hit Wally World...yeah...just what I shouldn't be doing...maybe they'll have a stand for me while I'm there. I was just telling Becky...at this point I'll go for a bookcase.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hit the same bunch at my local walmart this weekend....and came home with 9 new additions! Had to rescue them before they got drowned....lol.

:) Kim

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Candace! This is the one time that WM here actually have a shipment of new C&S after a long time. But when they do have them in, they're very decent, especially for their price. I got lots of mine from there, too.

Chantell, have you thought about using a baker's rack for your plants? I use one for mine, bought it off someone in craigslist.org, locally, cheap, very very decent condition, only minor paint chip, it's metal/iron. I like it because the shelves are tall and wide enough to accomodate the plants. They can be used indoor and outdoor, and if you found a nice looking one, they are decorative, too...! BTW, if you have IKEA near you, their new catalog has baker's rack for pretty cheap. I've seen it in real life at their store, too, pretty decent, I think, and they also have lots of metal and wooden shelving that's suitable for plants.

Here's a bad picture that I took of mine just now...it's suppose to be straight, not crooked like that, I didn't do the angle right...LOL..

Thumbnail by baileykat
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

There ya go, Kim!!!
Better get 'em while they're still happy...LOL...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

BK,
Excellent idea...I actually needed to hit Ikea...and I've got to start using that Craig's list...everyone talks about it!!! Thank you!!!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Chantell,

I bought a baker's rack from Hobby Lobby for some of my plants, and then two 4-shelf wire stands at Target for other plants. They all work great. Target shelves are rather plain, but they are nice and sturdy and they come in black, white or silver. Easy to put together too, and the prices are right too.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Mine had the same deals going on. $1 and $2 plants.

Hurry, hurry before they kill them. (but then again, if they do, the same plants will go to .50 and .25 cents, hmmmm, maybe wait a little....lol)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I having an anxiety attack (kidding) having to wait until I get home tonight to my Walmart...watch them have nothing - zippo! LOL

Tampa, FL

i think you all need some "buyaholic" therapy...the excitement in your posts jumped out at me all the way down south...cheesh..now i have to go to WM tonite....sue ps BK i am very proud of you for remembering the diapers in all that excitement! I wouldn't have....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah...I mean...just diaper the kid in dead leaves...nothing with spines though...wouldn't be good!!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Tell me about it, Sue...I almost did forget...! ALMOST had to call my dh and ask what was it that I went there for....LOL..

I wish the kid would finally get that potty training is a very, very good thing!! Maybe if I diapered him with dead leaves he'd finally think twice about being potty trained...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

BK,
Off topic here but having 4 teenagers that all use the toilet - LOL - get a sticker chart w/stickers....and/or a goodie bag of stuff from the $1 store. I'm tellin' you in worked like crazy.

Our Ikea is across the Valley from us, so I've never been there. But I notice an awful lot of Ikea stuff shows up on Craigs List. I wonder why? Harold

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good question Harold...but they also have PLANTS!!! LOL

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, some of Ikea's stuff aren't good quality at all. But some also aren't bad at all...I guess it's a case of you get what you paid for. Make sure you take a look at the built ones in their showroom, sometimes you can tell if they'd hold up or not. We have some ikea's furnitures at our home, some of them have been with us for awhile, but some wrecked not long after they were built, go figure...LOL.
And YES, they do sell plants!!!! Last weekend when we came in there, a small variegated opuntia jumped in the cart.

edited to add:
Thanks Chantell for the potty training tips! I've tried stickers, don't work well, we ended up fighting for it, he wants it now, I won't give it to him, repeat all over again...LOL. But never tried the goody bags....that might work better. My kid is so stubborn and I'm almost in desperate mode to get him to potty train so he can go to preschool next year...

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 2:21 PM

Chantell - They seem to be at all Wal Marts across the country. Hope yours has some too. I almost left ours because they were not with the other cacti but on special shelves away from them. But they don't seem to all have the same plants. Ours came from Sorensen in Ruthven, Ontario.
Since you are the colored spine expert here, can you tell me the name of this red beauty?

Thumbnail by

And this guy has 5 arms already.

Thumbnail by

A close up

Thumbnail by

A columnar one I don' t know what it is

Thumbnail by

Another columnar no idea. Got a few more including a nice golden barrel - may go back and get some more of those. Be sure to repot them out of that wet peat!

Thumbnail by
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

The ones that are in our WM said "grown in Canada".....

Harold, I also got that one (madagascar palm?) with 3 arms, I think...yours looks nicer though :o)

Everyone that's hunting their WM for these things, please post pic of your new finds when you have time or feel like it, so we can see who gets what..!

edited...
Forgot to tell you that most of these are potted in peat...Thanks for reminding, Harold!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 5:01 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You all are so funny!! Harold - thanks for that praise...but I am so far from even remotely being knowledgeable, let alone an expert. Everyone knows by now...I foam at the mouth over colored spines or body - that much I'll admit to...LOL I'm slowly learning with patient guidance by Dave, the Bobs, Norma and a few others. I think it would be a good idea if we post these on a new thread - requesting ID's...I'll start it with the 3 I picked up tonight. Aren't ya'll proud I ONLY picked up 3, did ya hear that?! LOL And yes YIPEEEEE mine did get some in...you just know at only $1 & $2 I could have loaded up carts...many of these sell on ebay for $5 plus. Wow, could we make a killing!! I even stopped by Ikea...very nice shelving units....I need an extra paycheck I think!!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 8:16 AM

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Only 3, Chantell?? You really have amazing self control...I envy you!!

Yes, I've seen same species sold on ebay for double/triple what we paid...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The REALLY sad thing is that the exit greeter stopped me before I was 5 feet into the lawn and garden area....saying: "Chantell!! We've got new cactus in!!!!...let me show you!!!!" Now do you see what a problem I have?!! My wally world friends even know that I'm in there scouting out the cactus every few days - serious issues I have...LOL
Alrighty....sorry about not getting it started last night...my computer and memory card weren't on speaking terms...ugh!!! Here's the new thread for those wanting ID's: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650199/

BK - believe me - if it weren't as late as it was and the fact I had teenagers at home waiting for dinner...I would've been there much longer & probably brought home many more. Some of those in the $2 pots are so overgrown they'd easily fill a 4" pot!! "I'll be back!!"

Tampa, FL

i am so impressed, that all the big box stores know you by name, Chantell! Now a little crossing a "palm with silver", might get you into their throw-away plants dumpster or at least a phone call as to when a new shipment of C&S arrives? lol...sue...better yet you could be a "greeter"!!! Of course management might wonder where the greeter is, since she is never at her post.....(out back in the nursery!!) chuckle!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sue,
You are too funny...I did my "stint" at Walmart for 4+ years...back some time...ummm, NO thank you! And you're right...they'd have to make me the lawn and garden exit greeter. Don't ya think that term is an oxy-moron of sorts? "Exit greeter" LOL And it's not all the stores...just Wally World...I'm there every day...at leat once...ugh!! My kids and I would never make it if our house was out in the boonies!! They're not very good at adding to the "store list" - generally tell me after I've just left there..."we're out of milk" UGH!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok here is an additional challenge - I'm blessed to be within 45 min's of EIGHT Walmarts...does anyone see a problem here?!!! LOL My boss asked if I could run to the Walmart here by my work...sure he couldn't figure out why my smile turned to a grimace...OMG!!! Yes, indeed folks...so much for my "self-control" - add 2 more $2 and I think 3-4 of the $1...this is like dying and going to heaven. Of course I also see others that I've puchased previsously for $4 - $7 plus s/h...and I just simply groan while shaking my head...ugh! Will post new pics with others tonight...as I'll be "passing by" TWO more Walmart between tonight and tomorrow AM. Someone help me please!! At least I'm only looking for the unique and colored ones. Serious 12 step is needed.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 12:28 PM

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

So many WM's, so little time, Chantell?

I'm having stomach pain from laughing at all your posts!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, if ya ain't figured it out by now - Chantell just called me certifiable! It's official!
I am stuck at home with a job so she has graciously agreed to shop for me!! Hehehe

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

oohh, what fun!!
I'm thinking of checking the another WM as well to see if they have other varieties...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.