what do I do??? I found 6 small turtle eggs in my yard ????

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh I love that cabin... I was just looking at a shed at Home Depot monday night... what a great idea... this way the shed will be "my excuse" for a place for myself...

my friend Kelley told me she will help me with the tree house and she is really very handy... I told her that as long as I can go up with the boys it will be ok...

but the shed will be MINE.... Girls only!!!! oh I am really going to look for one... and paint it yeloow with purple shutters... and tons of shade plants around it... oh brother now I am in trouble... maybe I can do a little porch and sleep outside in a hammoc..... oh that will be so great so the turtles won't be alone outside...

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Little did you know, the power of a once found little rubbery egg. One little dig and your life has changed forever.
I love the girls only. You need to put a sign on your new little house. It could be like a club house.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

my friend Kelley just said I am out of control... lol... usually the smallest things in life hold that kind of power!!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

oooooh...Girl's only. I like the sound of that ;0) a little porch for reading and looking at the rose garden. we have lots of Amish communities around here. (can you hear my wheel turning?)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

mmmm, our Amish are quite progressive. When the guy brought them we had to haul their equipment back to the site. After several quad trailers full of tools, the Amish men hooked up their generator, air compressor, got out their big nail guns and went to work. I could not believe it. What a sight to see these men in their plain clothing weilding these big powerful nail guns. Then watching them work, was like watching a dance. Each of the 3 men knew just what to do and could read each other's minds it seemed. So after about 4 hours, yes, 4 hours, a pile of lumber was completely turned into my cabin, door, windows, loft, porch etc. It was amazing. I took no pictures of building of course out of respect. After all you can have a nail gun, but not have your picture taken. LOL. These 3 men are excellent builders and did such a wonderful job.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Gram, mine are spining out of control.... I woke up at 3 am and the first thing that crossed my mind was the cabin...lol....and the tree house for the boys and the pond for the turtles.... oh well I think I am moving outside for the summer!!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

chick, it must have been fascinating to watch. it is absolutely wonderful. just what I would pick. do you have any pictures of the inside?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Grampapa, here are your pictures. Took a little to find them. I call this decorating in small spaces. Here's how to do it. You need a little cabing, then some old vintage furniture of your grandmother's that was packed away in 1963 and was going to be thrown out, some old rag rugs and whatever you can piece together and haul on a trailer back a half mile into the woods. And here is the results!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

View #2
This couch and chair are covered with a fabric that wears like iron. Also has a little gold thread running through it. Just perfect for a cabin! The fabric is in good condition, but the dog tends to think the couch is his, hence the cover on it.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

View #3
I made the table and book case out of scraps of wood.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

View #4

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here us the last picture. This is a view from the river, looking up to the cabin on the ridge.
I now know what pictures are on what disc thanks to you. I spent yesterday going through them all, what a job, but now I know what is where!!!!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

that is absolutely adorable! the perfect little getaway. sorry to put you thru all the picture sorting. you must have quite a bit of land. I don't have room for a 16', but I think maybe 12.

thanks for sharing

jan

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh that is so cute.... I love the cabin... I wish I had some amish people to build one for me.... I have been looking for a shed that I can adapt....

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I am so glad for the pictures... really neat.... I keep thinking that is totally worth having a get away place... specially here in my house.... boy I need that!!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't be sorry for the picture sorting, I only did ones I had on disc, I have the hard drive to do next! ahhh, save something for next winter. We may get above freezing today, which means Spring (read "mud") is coming. The cabin stays surprizingly clean all winter. In the fall I get the dead flys on the windows thing, but other than that it is pretty easy to keep clean.
Thanks for the comments, I do love my little cabin. (can you tell?) This is just a shed with 16' base to allow for the 4' porch. Would be easy to modify a shed to add a porch. I have seen them around the state and the lumber company has kits and plans. We were going to do cedar log and build it from the land, then we saw these cabins and the price and went for easy. There is also storage above the porch for chairs in the winter etc. I have seen potting sheds like this that are smaller but very usefull and cute.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Cpart I love the cabin... too bad you are far away or I would get lost around it!!!! just kidding~

I am going to Home Depot again after I take the NCLEX to really look into this... I really want a place to keep my sanity!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Kassia,
You can come and take a walk anytime. The cabin isn't made of gingerbread so it is safe. LOL
We all need little things to keep our sanity. It is pretty quiet here, even in the house. (exept for spring with the geese and ducks and frogs all yelling) We have no tv, like to watch the wildlife, or in the winter sit by the fire and read. A person really needs this....well, at least I do!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh, you have what I need... quietness.... I am so hungry for these things... lately I have been thinking of what learned a long time ago but forgot to practice... the value of the small things in life... I think last year when I began gardening that's what became so evident that I needed... I really enjoyed planting and seeing things grow... I had so much fun... and when I found the turtles I felt so inadequate.... now I look at them and see what a marvelous experience it has been... I long for simplicity... one doesn't really need much to be happy!

I am going to look where is Gladwin MI.... I may show up one of these days!!!! if there is one I thing I want to do for the next few years is to travel our country.... I need to see America... so many places to go!!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

There are so many places to see in our country. I met a person last year that travels around the great lakes in her boat all summer. They have done it for a couple years and have not seen all there is to see yet. The best part of Michigan is the UP (upper peninsula) Here time seems to go back about 20 years and the scenery is beautiful.
I think you found those turtles for a reason. They have given you time to stop and smell the roses. You have not only had great fun with them, but gave us all out here some fun with them also.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh, you are really influencing me... I have never been anywhere in MI ... I am going to have to fix that!!!!!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Kassia
If you ever visit, the white sand beaches of Lake Michigan in west Michigan are world class.
I prefer the open rolling farm land and wood lots of Michigan's northern lower peninsula.
May I recommend visiting northwest Michigan...places like Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Lelennau Peninsula, Torch Lake (one of Nat.l Geographics worlds top ten most beautiful lakes), Traverse City and the Old Mission Peninsula that is dotted with vineyards and cherry orchards, flanked by two beautiful turquoise blue bays.
The Mackinaw Bridge (the 5 mile suspension bridge that links the 2 peninsulas) and Mackinaw Island are must sees.

"Mackinaw Bridge" 2006

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Just back tracked and read about the cabin.
VERY sweet and adorable! I LOVE IT!
How much time do you spend there?
I hope to have some local Amish built me a new chicken coop/green house this year.
Can't wait!
But the wheels are turning girls....a little play house cabin for the grandkids might be in order too!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow... I am planing a trip to Michigan.... Maine and them Michigan.... wow... and them of course I am going to visit Gram this summer.... Maine in the summer and I was just looking it, and if I leave my house, stop at Gram and then drive to Grand Rapids MI and see CR is only 821 miles... and all places I have never been. sounds very exciting... let's plan that!!!!!

CR I am taking notes of all these places... oh my wandering heart is all excited~

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

CR, good site seeing advice. I agree with all those places. There is much beauty in Michigan. About the cabin. I sneak out there every once in a while and read, do crafts, or have a picnic. Some brave company has stayed the night there. I say brave because it is really, really, dark out there and lots of animals at night to spook the old city folk. Plus there is a spider problem in the loft in the summer. I am still working on that. I can sit there and read a book and all of a sudden this huge hairy thing is looking at me. (not alot, but enough that I look now) ok, once was enough, can you tell I am not fond of spiders? esp big hairy ones with their own zip code. How in the world did that huge thing get in there? ehhhhhwwwwwgh!!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>The Mackinaw Bridge

Cottage-Rose,
I have almost that exact photo - though mine has my boys when they were small, throwing rocks into the water.
We used to vacation in Traverse a lot. and once went on over to Mackinaw. Fun boat ride.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Just found this thread and LOVE IT!!! To find those eggs at the right time and be able to see the transformation from egg to adult is and will be so amazing.

I received a red eared turtle when I was 15 (28yrs ago) when I worked at the zoo. A maintenance worker found her on the way to work and planned to make turtle soup. I talked him out of it and took her home. We made her a corner out of the backyard with a small-medium water tub and she has her own trees, plants, rocks, and dirt; her own little world.

When I got married I was afraid to move her since she is so safe there and is used to it. If/when anything happens to my parents I will have to MAKE her a place here to live.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

What a great story! And you were able to keep her all that time. Neato!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Her name is Wilma

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

do you have a picture of Wilma??? so neat... I hope to have place for them....

I just took pictures yesteday so here they go the shiny turtle

Thumbnail by Kassia
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I name all the turtles I see Sammy (for saminilla) except for the giant snappers, they are Gamera (for the old Godzilla movies)
I name alot of the wild animals around the house. People just give me strange looks. The one eagle is Baldy, the golden eagle Goldie, Blue heron is Blue, the piliated woodpecker is Woody, The squirrels are Blacky, Grey, Skunky, Fatty, Jabba and Slick. Racoons are Rocky, Deer all have names, some are not nice. Usually start with Lilly eatten....The list goes on. My husband is very patient. He is a saint. We sure get the enjoyment out of the animals, don't we?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great picture!!!!They look so happy!!!
(can they look happy?)

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone!!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The world needs more turtles, squirrels etc, and they need more world, does that make sense?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Not the squirrel part. Don't like them.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

We have a squirrel feeder, loaded with corn and take pleasure watching them as they squabble over the kernels, As long as I keep the bird bath full of water for them they leave the garden alone. The next door neighbors sons have reached the "hunting" age and have depleted the population. The boys will grow and leave and the squirrels will return, There is no hurry for what will naturally occur.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

lol... you sound so like me... I name every thing I see... even the plants... well they have names, but I give them my onw names...
the chipmonks are Chip and Dale.... have not seen them yet.... the 2 brave squirels are Boo and Tony... they are already out.... Boo scared me silly yesterday... I just put some bird food on the snow to see if they would come out of their hiding... I was feedin the turtles and next thing I know Boo is right outside the windon... just watching me....

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh, I hate to see kids with guns... and killing the poor things... as long as they don't eat my bulbs I am ok with that... I used a lot of peper last year... and they didn[t bother my platns!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
kids with guns...
Where you are at has a lot too do with the mindset of folks about kids with guns... I received a .22 cal rifle for my 12th Christmas present and proceeded to slay squirrels They make a good gravy.

If you are not going to eat it don't kill it, but know how too, in case you have to. Many people in the US have never been truly hungry or had nothing to feed their young children. The sad part is that the people who suffer this situation the most, are in the cities where hunting is not possible.

At this time I feel fortunate because there is a large pot of chili (beef) in the crock pot and I will not have to shoot a squirrel for my dinner or that of my wife's. Even so it is somewhat reassuring to know that I can provide for myself should this become necessary.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Did not mean to hijack this thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.