what do I do??? I found 6 small turtle eggs in my yard ????

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lucky turtles! I'm glad you're able to enjoy them. Love the pond idea!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Billyporter- I need serious help in doing the pond... I saw some ponds ideas and I am really thinking about it...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I would love to have a pond! I've seen a lot more of them these last few years. It isn't exactly putting the wetlands back, but it's a step in the right direction! I love to walk around them and watch the frogs jump in. Outside of town we have a marshy area with water only a couple of feet deep. They built a long narrow bridge to walk out on. I love it! If you're lucky, a turtle will swim past, or a bullfrog will surface. I even like seeing a snake in the water.

I hope you can find a way to have a pond. You'll always enjoy it!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

The turtles are doing great. growing and growing... here are the new pictures...

every morning they come right to my hand... they are very comfortable with my hands...I gave them brocolli... they loved it...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

They are so wonderful. I just love creatures. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Neat pictures! They look so healthy and clean!

It's funny, catch a wild one and they duck when they see hands or movement.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I am afraid I am raising sissy turtles!!!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laugh! They're only sissy if you glue bows to their head.

The shot of red flowers in the border are just what I needed to see this morn. So vibrant!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Kassia I've been lurking thru the whole tread but today I had to comment. I needed to see the little guys this morning and the shot of red just sets off the pictures. Great pictures! Made me smile.
You all have a good day.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I may draw a bow or a heart on their carapaces as soon as I figure their gender... lol... I am trying to name them with names that will be both ok for males or females... so far only one name... Hershey Kiss - I think it looks like a white hershey kiss!!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That's a cute name! Scrolling down, they sure have come a long way! It's a miracle you kept them all alive!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

They are just so healthy looking. You have done such a good job...

susan
=^..^=

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks... they are so entreitaining ... very funny...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

It's great how big they are getting. They are so cute.....when do they go to the new homes?? Karen S

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Karen I don't know yet... I am so reluctant now that they are bigger... my family is crazy about them... it will be hard to part from them... oh well... I feel like I don't want to dig again next to where I found these... I could find more and you know ....
my family wants me to do a pond so they can live in the back garden in the summer... I like the idea...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

That would be great. Do you have enough land for pond on your property? How big a pond? I would be so cute--then maybe you could have baby turtles over and over..... Karen

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I really hope you can have a pond, or at least some water feature. I wanted to bury a baby's plastic swimming pool in the yard, but I was going to fill it with dirt and plant cardinal flowers in the sun. Maybe you could fashion something like that.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeeeeepers! Kass!
What a cute bunch you have there, you did such a good job!!..How 'bout namin one Vern..(Over the Hedge). I could just squeeze their wee lil reptillian cheekies!!
Keep up the good work!! I am really impressed!
(Sending Lilly a cyber pat and a run around the yard! Such a good sport!)
Deb

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Deb, they are adorable in their turtle personality... they are little clownd... I let then walk around my bedroom yesterday and Lilly got all excited... Nino runs away from them... but they are good little creatures...

Lilly is here next to me chewing away her bone... she sounds happy....thanks Deb... I will kiss Lilly for you... she is a good dog... I am so used to her sleeping with me...

sydney, Australia

You turtles are just gorgeous. thanks for sharing all this with us.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone... here they are... growing and growing... still cute and fun...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous! Glad for the update. A thread can get lost when everyone goes on to other threads. I can't get over how burnished their shells are when they don't have to live in a muddy river.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

What do you mean by burnshed?
look at that cute face!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

a funky shot...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

they are cute...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

His shell looks like polished brass and gold. they are still adorable!

I almost got between your pictures. Since you know how old they are, when do they start mating and laying eggs? Will it be years?

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 10:37 PM

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh... I give them a bath after eating every morning... the other day I thought they smelled so I got a soft tootbrush and brush it a little... them I dryed them with a soft towel and let them walk in my bedroom floor... they are so entretaining... some walked right away all over, others just stayed put and slowly they went around... I keep thinking of building a pond for them next year so they can be outside for a good part of the year... I saw a picture of a pond and I got all excited! well, let's see... but they are part of our lives already... hard to think of them gone... but we will see what will happen...

I still not know what they are... 2 a really bigger than the others... and 2 are growing but much slower ... so it's weird but they look like ladder... one of each size...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

No wonder they are so clean! The growth is really interesting. I wondered if you could tell by how brightly orange they are, if they're male or female?

If not a pond, how about a water feature in a fenced in area? They could swim, be outside and they wouldn't wander off.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Billy, what I am thinking is if I get a greenhouse, I could attach a fenced area to it and have a little pond so they can be outside but at the same time be protected... this way if they want to be inside the greenhouse for the winter is ok since I am going to be using solar energy to heat the greenhouse...so I am playing with the idea...

I have no idea which is which... the only one I could tell apart for a long time is Hershey - she has what I think looks like a hershey kiss mark... but now they are at least slightly different because of their size... but still I have no idea of the gender!

I am going to try to take a pic of the bigger one so you can see how pretty is the shell and how much she has grown... it's really cool pattern... but the most gorgeous feature I think are the eyes... it's so amazing how perfect they are...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The greenhouse idea sounds great to me, but I'm no expert. I think they are better off staying with you rather than being set free. You've provided everything they need!

http://members.shaw.ca/turtles/sexing.htm

I had to Google sexing your turtle. This will give you some idea even tho they are still young.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

time for another update... the turtles are doing well... growing and eating like little piglets... so cute... now I have w aquariums going... too crowded...
3 are really bigger... 1 not so much and 1 really small ..

I think they are all females (nails are the same size, their cloaca are closer to the body ... their tails are smaller since they were bitting each other tails... too much closeness...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I am going to name them after chocolate... so Hershey, Lindt, Nestle, Ghirardely & Cadbury ... sweet names...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

sweet faces

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

call me crazy, but they like the camera... every time I came close they seem to pose!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy New year!!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the timeline you created. It's hard to remember how small they were. I had to scroll down thru all the pictures again. All females, that is so neat! The sweet names are cute.

I just got caught up from X-mas and now it's almost a new year!!!! So, Happy new Year!!!Gardening days are closer!!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Kass, I love the names!! Good choice.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

lol... that shows you what I really love... chocolate & roses... great combination!!!!

I can't believe they were that small either... so big now... they are so entretaining...

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

So what are the plans for them all now? Thery are really cute. Karen aka liebran

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Karen,

well, I have to post new pictures... they are growing and still very healthy... some more adventures to tell!

I don't have any definte plans... some days I want to build a pond so they can live outside, other days I don't know... my family loves them and I am still waiting for my mom to come and see them.... so I love them... no question about that, and I am attached to them (well they all sleep in my bedroom!) well, my bedroom is like a zoo... me , my dog Lilly, 5 turtles and tons of bears (beany babies!!!!) and of course some plants.... new seedlings and etc...

I will post new pictures...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.