There are so many kinds, please show us your Plectranthus?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathyvm ~ Did yours look like this by any chance? The leaves are smaller and fuzzy. This smells like camphor. It is commonly called the Vicks plant.

Thumbnail by podster
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes it did look a lot like it . I had two that looked quite similar. Both had fuzzy leaves. One had normal Plectranthus leaves. The one that I was looking for had very thick full leaves. It did have a strong smell. Maybe there's different varieties of vicks plant. I'll have to check this out further. Thanks for the help.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Update for my Plectranthus for anyone interested. I finally found the tag and it is 'Mountain Mist', a Proven Winners selection. Considering how beautiful it is this time of year, next year I'll find a different spot for it - heck I bought it for the foliage alone and planted it in a container for contrast. It deserves better :)

Kathyvm, everything I've seen indicates it's a late summer bloomer, blooming right through the fall - so even if you could get it to bloom indoors the flowers probably wouldn't be as outstanding as they were outside. Same thing happens for me with 'Mona Lavender' - I can get it to bloom inside, but flowers are much smaller than those blooming outside during the summer.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

rcn48, I know what you mean about the flowers being smaller. They seem to be a lighter color as well instead of the pretty lavender. I don't have many flowers left now. Most of them fell off. I still plan to keep in through the winter. It is so big now, I can't wait to see how big it will get next year. I have the 'Mona Lavender' variety. I'll have to look for the mountain mist. Your's is very pretty.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Just received a cutting of Plectranthus oertendahlii (not sure if it's a specific cultivar or not) So it's rooting in my rooting tray.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

I also found a nifty 'succulent' type - it's a NOID from Kenya

I just can't compete with the Plectranthus flower photos. This plant was given to me and in bloom now. Don't know what it is but it looks anemic....

Thumbnail by podster

Hi begoniacrazii ~ Do the leaves of your succulent have an odor. It is pretty...

The succulent one has an 'herb' like scent but it's very faint. Not at all like it's cousins.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

begoniacrazii, I really like the silver on the P. oertendahlii, will have to keep my eyes open for that one!

It's nifty isnt it! Zuzu and I were nursery hopping and stopped at one where the owner is a collector of very odd ball plants and the nursery is located at his home so I was wandering through his personal greenhouses (with permission of course) and spotted the mother plant! I traded some rare Clivia seeds for this and a VERY cool tradescantia. It's got polka dots!!
I'm hoping it roots fast!!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Lali, please show a picture of the polka dotty Tradescantia!!!!! Please? :)

GH

Sure thing, Its a trad family Tinantia pringlei.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Awwww, how ADORABLE! I just love it, Lali. Thanks for showing the picture:)

GH

Happy, looks like PDN has it on sale right now (and says it's winter hardy) http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/03145.html

Begoniacrazii ~ This one came from you... If I am correct, you called this one the Jolly Green Giant vine? It is doing great, lots of new growth and foliage. Is it a Plectranthus?

Thumbnail by podster

Hey Pod, not I called a trad the jolly green (my own name, don't know it's correct cultivar name) that's plectranthus argenteus (could be cv. 'Silver shield'? but didn't come with a tag)
Attached a photo of Jolly Green Trad

Ok ~ I gotcha. Well I like the Jolly Green as well. I am really taken with the P. Argentus. It is most flexible and agreeable. Not to mention beautiful. Thanks so much... pod

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Begoniacrazii, where did you find your iboza, I've been searching to purchase one and can't find it anywhere

I think originally I got mine from an online company. But that was a long time ago, Papa Geno's if I recall had several varieties available. Also, Proven Winner's now sells it at our local home depot so it's easy to find. Are you looking for some? I can check my greenhouse to see if any are looking good enough to take cuttings and root them for you. When the weather settles down a bit I can send them to you. We're having a cold snap right now so it's not the best time to ship plants. Just dmail me if you are interested.

http://www.papagenos.com/ here's their link. I've been ordering from them for years but not the last year or year and a half. I recommend them. Plants are well packed, sometimes small if you order too early in the spring and they have some nice varieties. lots of scented geraniums too!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes, I"ve ordered quite a big of their pelargoniums was well satisfied, didn't realize they sold the plecs too. cool

(Zone 1)

Is there really one that has a menthol fragrance like Vicks?? I love menthol smell .... some folks tell me I'm nuts .... I always loved the smell of Ben Gay and Vicks Vapor Rub! I would love to know where I can get that one!

Lin

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That papa genos has that vicks plant as well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.