There are so many kinds, please show us your Plectranthus?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How many different types of Plectranthus can we come up with? I don't have many. This one was recently given to me.

Thumbnail by podster

This is variegated Cuban Oregano ~ Plectranthus Amboincus. Phew! It's stinky...

Thumbnail by podster

This one is my sweetie ~ the Vicks plant. I love the menthol smell!

Thumbnail by podster

And who doesn't like purple! Mona Lavender...

Thumbnail by podster

That's all folks, now it is your turn. Show us all your Plectranthus...

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Ooooh podster, you're singing my favorite song!! I collect plecs and just got a new on on Saturday. As soon as the batteries are charged, I'll take some photos.
Ran them out taking begonia photos this morning (come visit in the begonia forum!)

Here's Troy's Gold.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Here's p. fruiticosus 'Winslow' so far it's about 3' tall. It gets amazing blue blooms. If I can find the photo of the blooms, I'll post it. Rooted for me in about 5 days in a cup of water. So it's an easy one.

Here's the flower.

Here's iboza that is starting to sport.

Hi Begoniacrazii ~ Great variety you have. I didn't see any I recognize. Don't know why I started this as it just gives me more plants to put on the 'someday list'. If I visit the begonia forum, I'll be in trouble. Right now, the only one I have enjoyed is the Dragons (Angel) Wing Begonia. You sure know how to get a guy in trouble! : )) pod

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Here's my Swedish Ivy that's been living out on my balcony this summer.

Thumbnail by candace101

That is a lovely swedish ivy. Isn't it nice to be able to move plants outdoors for the summer? Are the leaves fragrant if you rub them?

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Podster,

Yes, the leaves are fragrant when I touch them. I don't care for it that much, but I'm getting used to it. My big job now is finding room for it inside once the cooler temps get here. I may have to get a table just for that plant! I can't believe how much it filled out this summer.

Wouldn't a pedestal table be pretty with that graceful plant draping down the sides... Almost make you feel like summer is still with us...

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Nothing blooming right now but here are a few of mine. None are houseplants though. Many are in pots because they are groundcover in this climate. I have several others that are already posted by others. Vicks plant is a real favorite. My patio hummer would like to perch on it but it has the distressing habit of growing straight up.

Here is P. Aureus Variegatus

This message was edited Aug 26, 2006 9:17 PM

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is Big Wooly. This one is truely spectacular blooming. Abyssinian Coleus aka Wooly Plectranthus. This one has had a fairly recent haircut. They get very large.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Grumbling...... and here is the pic

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

This one was titled Nicodemus but I have not researched that. These are some of the most mislabled plants on the planet.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lois Woodhull. This is the stinkiest of the plecs. Smells like a long dead dog. They sell it as "Doggone" in HD and such places.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Ciliatus Zulu Queen or Zulu Wonder depending on who labels it. Look in plant files for this beauty in bloom. The grey fuzzy leaves in the middle belong to P. Silver Spur.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

P. Madagascariensis. This is a large woody specimen. DD uses it for a chair. It is big and sturdy and can stand up to being sat upon by a 5'11" teenager.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

P Nicoletta living the life of riley under my "Monster" KBS brug. Most of the plecs are early spring bloomers for me. Summer is too brutal.

Thumbnail by frogsrus

Frogsrus... Thanks for sharing, I was about to think no one liked these. Oddly, I like the smelly ones... Can you imagine Lois Woodhulls' feelings being hurt... Doggone : )). You have a great collection and must live in a wonderful climate. pod

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have the vicks plant which I like a lot and didn't know it had so many relatives.

I love the vicks plant, but I am a camphor nut!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Pod, you can't get close enough to hurt her feelings Lol! On a hot day you have to use a clothespin on your nose to water. Madagascariensis is a great smelling plec. It is very herbal. I often use it in flower arrangements. Mona is so lovely that she does not need fragrance. The others are somewhere inbetween.

They can be invasive. I put a ciliatus in the ground and it tripled in size in a couple of months. I found out it is banned as an invasive in New Zealand so out it came. Both my ciliatus cultivars are in pots.

I loved camphor trees as kid. We used to go get pods by the bagful and squish them. (still love them but live in the wrong climate.)

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful plecs!
Does the Vick's plant always give off a scent, or only when the oils are released? I keep saying I am going to get one, but havent followed through yet LOL.

Mine has gentle furry leaves than only offer the odor when brushed or rubbed.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Just found this - love Plectranthus! Will have to get some photos of the few I still have but this is one I posted on ID forum and this morning I think I've finally ID'd it - Plectranthus 'Mountain Mist'. Bought it in the spring for a container planting because of its lovely textured foliage - dark green with purple undersides and so vigorous! It was promoted as a foliage plant with flower color "n/a"! Someone needs to slap whoever produced these tags - these flowers are incredible - from a distance they almost glow!

Debbie

Thumbnail by rcn48

Debbie, Can I slap them too or can I help hold them while you slap? That is one 'drop dead' gorgeous photo. Do you know which Plectranthus that one is?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Ya'll's plants are just beautiful! I'm bummed b/c I tried to start cuttings of my Swedish Ivy in September and not one of t hem took. Guess I started too late? What's the secret to propagating Swedish Ivy????

GH

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Meet my favorite : ) I am not certain but I think this is a Swedish Ivy? I just love it.It began blooming 3 weeks ago when I brought it in for the winter and hung it in the basement.Does any one know how long it will bloom?I have never had one bloom before. : ) Nancy

Thumbnail by cedarnest

I think (there I go again) the shorter days trigger the blooms. They probably won't last 30 days. I have one blooming right now but after seeing y'alls photos, I'd be embarassed to take a picture... Nice flowers!

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a Cuban oregano that I'm thinking of bringing inside overwinter. What conditions do they need?

I am a little warmer but I just move mine into an unheated shelter. Should you bring it in, I think keeping it drier and in a brightly lighted area should work. If it doesn't, it is easy to root and I will gladly share...

Thumbnail by podster
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I overwinter a few things in an unheated utility room off of my garage - attached to the house and our hot water heater is in there but no natural light. Do you think it can be kept dormant overwinter?

I think it would do fine in there but what kind of lighting would there be?

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

chamthy, Could you please post a picture of your Cuban oregano? Do you know what the botanical name is? I think that's what I had a few years ago. It has since perrished. I've looked everywhere for it using the "Cuban oregano" name and no one seems to know which plant that I'm talking about. Thanks

Debbie, I have one similar to yours. I bought them in the spring in 4" pots. They grew like gang busters. I dug them up and brought them inside to enjoy the blooms. Many are falling off now though. Do you know if they will rebloom indoors? Mine has been in bloom since mid summer.

Kathy

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

podster- just ceiling mounted flouresent light strip in the utility room. I had a few plants to make it in there last winter being kept dry ,dormant and cool.

Kathy- I'm not picture savvy yet but mine looks just like the second one that podster posted.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine was not the variegated one. I believe it had smaller leaves too. It must have been mislabeled. Bummer, I may never find out what plant I had.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.