possible C/S co-op

Vista, CA

"If its worth doin' its worth obsessing over" Jackie Gleason

bob
:>)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

No worries, David...everyone understands how valuable each other's time is...we have faith in you!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Let me know if the last person drops or has trouble making payment. ;^)
I want to keep the ball rolling
I am so Psyched!!
This is exciting!!
WOO-HOO!! 8^D

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Thanks David, we really do appreciate all your work. I can't wait to see the plants...WOO HOO TOO!

Quoting:
"If its worth doin' its worth obsessing over" Jackie Gleason

Boy, I really like that quote.

I've always been intrigued by people who collect things…and I mean, collect them big time. Those folks may be laughed at, but I see them as the caretakers of whatever they collect, and sometimes that’s a really important job. If you think about it, people who study and assemble collections basically help assure that those items will around for others to study and enjoy in the future. I don’t care if it’s velvet Elvis paintings, civil war firearms, or pachypodiums…people who lovingly collect things (and okay, maybe get a little obsessive about them) are usually the ones who preserve that little part of culture or nature. And, they help other people understand why it’s worth appreciating.

I admit we’d better not spend the kids’ lunch money on Echeverias, and we all need to keep peace with our Significant Others…but really, there are a lot of worse things than having something you love to learn about and nurture.

Of course, I may be rationalizing again because I bought another cactus today. But it was only a little one.
Sheri

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Sheri - you're too funny!! I can always justify picking up "just one more" - space is becoming THE issue though..LOL!!! And since there is no significant other....I just have to make sure not to spend the lunch money!!! Come to think of it - they all have jobs...ok, except the 14 year old...note to self: do NOT spend the 14 y.o.'s lunch %%!! ROTFL

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Space most definately is not the problem for me. my cactus house could easily hold at least a thousand more plants. And see the problem for me is that i'll try and fill it up!!!

I'll tell you how obsessive I am about plants. We all have this huge order coming in from Miles soon,that's not enough for me. I'm already working on a list of cacti that I want to order from him in September.

Not only do I collect plants but I have a rather impressive collection of Fenton art glass as well. I have a family member who works in the factory and have been there several times myself.

I collect a color known as rose or yellow burmese,which is the second most popular color of glass that they make. Second in line to cranberry.

My glass collection numbers somewhere around 140 pieces. Some of those pieces were special order items that were made for other dealers and are very limited in numbers available. I have one piece that there is only 54 of in the whole world.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Now see a glass collection would make me nervous - with 4 teenagers....well, things get ummm, broke. Of course they're extremely respectful when it comes to my plants and my camera stuff. I'll give them points for at least those considerations...LOL

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I have pottery myself. Coors Rosebud mostly but pretty much anything from the colorful pottery of the 30-40s. I get people who wonder why I would have all this breakable china all over the place in earthquake country. I feel better knowing that there's a brave soul in hurricane country (you are, right?) with a Fenton collection.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh, was going to show you a few Rosebud pieces, just so you'd see what I'm talking about.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Nice pottery Stella.

Chantell I also have 4 children. The four legged kind though. Two dogs and two cats. My glass colelction is in one of the spare bedrooms and the door STAYS closed!!

With the last two cats that I had I could leave the door open and they never bothered the glass or anything else in my house. They were mother and son and sadly both passed away in January of 04"

The mother dies on 1/14 I went out to run some errands and came home to find her dead. No signs of any injury or trauma of any sort. Exactly one week to the day on 1/21 the son who was my heart died very suddenly and unexpectdly.

Turned out he had an inherited heart condition and I didnt know it.After he died I found out that had this been something that we knew about there wasnt anything that could have been done to save him and most cats with it die early. Like within a year. Brutus was a little less than a month shy of his 3rd birthday.

The vet now beleives that his is the same thing that his mother died from.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

i'm so sorry to hear about the cats!! I posted a thread about Bio-spot and cats. My simba was only 2 years old when he died last Sept. It broke my heart. For all that arent aware - Bio-spot is an over the counter flea and tick med...drops much like Frontline but is NOT safe...I posted a link over on the pet forum last month about this subject. Just an FYI for all of you that have pets.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh boy, can I relate. I went for many years without a cat because it hurt too much when I lost them. Then this big old guy Lionel just jumped into my arms one rainy evening and my heart is restored.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Are we still waiting on that one person to pay?

I guess I'm just a little excited to get my plants...and yes, I remember that Miles is at a C&S show till the 23rd... :)

Mary the last person has mailed payment. I hope I didnt come across as rushing them or being pushy. I just hadnt heard from them and wasnt sure if they knew where to send the money.

I had a little problem of my own to deal with anyway. i couldnt for the life of me get the final order price to come out right. I would add it up and add it again. I kept coming up with two different prices and couldnt find the mistake.

I was totaling my spreadsheet against what Sheri totaled and kept getting a differnet figure price wise.

Turns out I forgot to list the parodia occulta on my spreadsheet. So then I had to give Miles a call just to make sure I had actually put them on the order. I did so everyone who ordered that plant will get it.

He told me that he was going to process the paperwork for our order today and have things ready to unpot,wrap and ship asap after he returns from the show.

Good thing we got our order in when we did because he also told me that most of the plants that were on that wholesale list are now sold completely out.

david

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah...for us!!!! Good job everyone - getting orders and payments in quickly!!! I'm so excited!! David thank you SO much for doing this for all of us!!! And of course Sheri and Donna for your help in tallying numbers!! OMG...that would so NOT be one of my strong points...LOL.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to seem pushy, either. I'm just anxious to get my plants and I'm always paranoid that something will happen and we won't get what we ordered.

On the other side, the longer it takes, the longer I can put off buying more pots and soil. I'm about out, too. :)

Im pushy, excited and anxious and not sorry LOL!!
HURRY HURRY HURRY!!!!!!
THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL OPPOTUNITY DAVE!!! 8^D
Michael

I'm not about out of pots or soil. I am out of both!!

I was off yesterday and spent a great deal of time just plundering around HD,lowes wal-mart but did I think to buy pots or soil? No! But I did remember to look and see if they had any new cactus that I NEEDED to buy!!

Also I did go back day before yesterday and bought the ginger from HD that I passed on last week. I have been able to restrain myself today and didnt go to lowes and buy those ceropegia woodii veriegata plants that they have.

I told myself yesterday that I was going to go back today after work and get them. Then I said no I dont need em. Then i said go get em. I bet I flip flopped back and forth about 2 dozen times just since 3pm between going to get them or not.

Those poor plants have got to have a home though,I may as well go get them if I dont i'll just think about them until I do. Isn't it a shame that a grown man will admit ot something like this!!!(LOL)

Besides I was off from work yesterday and went back today only to find out that while I was off we all got raises!! MORE PLANT MONEY!!!!

dmichael

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gosh listening to you all makes me feel normal in my plant obtaining sprees!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I just counted the baby plants I have that need to be potted up to 4" posts - that's before I get what I'm getting here...I have 25 plants that have outgrown their current pots. Plus the million or so I'm getting here....ok, 15.... that means I need 40 4" pots!!!!

Actually, that's a guess. Any idea what size pots I should be aiming for?

Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of potting....good thing I love it! :)

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I bought 40 4" terra cotta pots at our local Hobby Lobby craft store. They're $.38 each, the best price in my town. I wish I could find some 5" pots (don't they make 5" pots?) but the next size up around here is supposedly 6", although they seem closer 6 1/2" in reality. If some of the plants are larger than I'm figuring, I'll head out for more 6"...but I'm thinking 4" will do it...?

Anyone with a Michaels craft store in their town should be able to get a wide variety of terra cotta pots. And the price is usually cheaper than walmart.

I like Michaels pots because they also come in a variety of heights.

I bought mutliples of all of my plants so I think I may get some 6" pots and group the cacti in clumps of 3 per pot.

AAHHhhh yes the community pot!! LOL!!
My favorite!!
I made 6 more today lol!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I get 5" pots at a grocery store (mega store) we have called Meyers. I don't know if it's a national chain, they don't have one where I used to live in NC. Anyway, that's the only place I can find them any more.

I'll have to try Hobby Lobby for the 4". I checked my local Michael's and they were about the same price as anywhere else, I think .79? But they're not on sale right now. Of course, Hobby Lobby isn't so close and with the price of gas.....sigh.....

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Pooey, no Meyers here, so I'll have to keep looking elsewhere for the elusive 5" pots! My Hobby Lobby always has the 4" pots at $.38 each, while Walmart, Lowes, and HD have them around $.79. Hey, when you're buying 40 at a time, it matters!

I think the Michael's craft stores might have even better prices and a bigger selection, but we don't have one of those either. :-(

Theres another pottery,junk,thrift type store here locally that sells 4" pots for a quarter a piece . I'm not off again until monday so most likely wont go over to the part of town where Michaels before then.

I'll be down that way anyhow paying some bills, the only ones that i cant pay online so i'll pop in and see what they have.

Walmart and lowes have gone up on the price. Last time I bought pots from them they sure didnt cost .69 a piece but they did yesterday when i looked at them and this is for a 4"pot. No way not with as many as I need.

I cant remember if Michaels had 5"pots or not,seems like when I bought from there the last time,I bought some of all they had.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.