possible C/S co-op

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

For those of you who havent seen the thread were I originally spoke of this it is near the bottom of the "how long can they survive in the box" thread.

What I wanted to do was see how many of us here on the C & S forum may be interested in doing a cacti co-op. I would host it. My only conditions are that we keep it to around 20-30 people which would be much easier for me to manage.

I'm very busy at work (50-60 hrs) per week and then I maintain 3 gh's which house my personal plant collection in all of my spare time. So I really wouldnt want for this to get out of hand and have 200 peope wanting to buy plants!! That happened on a hibiscus co-op that I took part in a year ago. It got WAY out of hand!!

It was suggested on the other thread that we might want to keep the number of plant species offered to a minimum also.

I would like to get some input from you guys about some nurseries you might want to order from,what plants you might want to see available ,etc.

Tanque Verde gh's is already on the no list. I spoke with the owner already and she wasn't willing to sell her plants at discounted prices regardless of how many we order.

She named off a long list of trichocereus hybrids that she grows but the plants are $10 per plant and average 6"-8" in height.

Should this co-op become a reality,it will be limited to the first 30 people who respond.

Payment would be by postal money order,that way I am assured of having the money and not having to take out of pocket to cover for someone who didnt pay. I've seen that happen too many times on other DG co-ops

Please let me know what you all think about this.

David

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

As I said I'm in...and willing to help

Valley Village, CA

I'lll do what I can for you, I certainly have plants, What will you cant me to do, and when is this to start. Are you planning to have this another Wal-Mart quality of plants, Do you want all plants priced below the $5.00 limit? Or is this a special order thing. I can buy cheaply and have a retsale # but it need to be at least 8 flats at a time, or it isn't worth the gas money to go and get them. Or do you want just plants from our own collections? Think it out, send me a copy of the rules, and we can go from there. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Me too! I don't know which nursuries to suggest, I'm having a tough time finding what I want. Maybe Bob Smoley's? I haven't tried him, but he does have some collections that might make things less expensive.

My particular interest is Echinopsis and Trichocereus, and perhaps some Rebutia and Sulcorebutia.

(Edited to say; Sorry Norma, I was typing as you posted, so my post doesn't really relate to yours.)

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 12:31 PM

Norma, I would want this co-op to be direct order from a cacti/succulent type nursery. If we could get a few nursery names that you all might be interested in i'll contact them and see if they would be willing to help us out.

Say for instance we get miles to do this. He may want to limit the plants we can choose from or he may give us free range of the entire catalog.

Miles plants range in price from $2 to around $8 . Most are in the neighborhood of $6.

It's been my experience from being involved with other co-op that if you get enough people and purchase enough plants the nursery owner will give a 5-10% discount on the stock.

I personally have enough plants in my own collection, I just dont have enough pups or cuttings to spare. This may be something we could do another time.

As to when this may start is going to depend on how many people show an interest in doing it and also if I can get a nursery owner to agree to help us out. If we cant find a nursery willing to do this then the possibility of a cacti co-op ends there.

Mary Ev, i've bought from Bob Smoley before. In fact 3-4 times over the past 5 years. His cactalog has never been updated. He just continues to list all of these varieties of plants and tehn when you call inor email him an order it turns out that he doesnt really have the plant at all.

I tried to buy about a half dozen varieties of hoyas from him this past spring. I talked directly to himon teh phone and each time I called out a name the reply was oh I dont have that one. Well if you dont have it yoou need to update thte catalog or list it as being out of stock.

He never does this. so chances are if we ordered from him,everything would be out or mislabled as he is also VERY well known for a great portion of his stock being mislabled.

David

I spoke with Miles from MIles to go. He maintains a wholesale list of plants which he is going ot send me. I dont know whats on it and wont know until I get the list.

He wasnt interested in doing this with his online catalog of plants.

His only conditions are that with the wholsale plants, a minimum of 5 of any variety offered have to be purchased and the total order must be at least $75.

For instance if echinopsis Los Angeles is on the list at lesat 5 would have to be purchased for us to get them at the special price.

I dont know what his wholesale prices are compared to his regular catatlog prices. I didnt think to ask but as soon as I know something i'll post it here.

I think we would cover the minimum plant order as well as the $75 purchase order but I need to know what he has to offer us first.

David

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I am interested

Okay so we're showing some interest here. I have these names in this order,begining with myself and the ones who posted on the other thread.

1. David (dmichael619)
2. Mary Ev
3. Chantell
4. Norma (crasulady 2)
5. Vossner
6. kactusldy
7. cicada
8. renatelynne
9. ronna
10. perennialGirl
11. oldmudhouse
12. davidmk
13. bec_no_va
14. malestrom

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 4:09 PM

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 5:04 PM

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 5:30 PM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 4:33 AM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 5:11 PM

Huntsville, TX(Zone 10a)

I am interested. I have 100's of pups, from all the cactus,agave, & succulents I have aquired over the past years. Honestly, they are OUT OF CONTROL !!! and I feel I'm a newbie to all of these. They just keep multiplying. I am interested in low water,low maintenance,and grows easily in zone 9.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

David,
Was Norma interested in joining or was she just offering to get plants?

I looked over Mile's site briefly - and made a "want list" - only a want list and for the purpose of putting some plants out "here." I would need to to reduce it any way.

Neoporteria jussieui (have to check to see if I have this one already LOL)

Stapelia paniculata ssp. scitula (ASCLEPIADACEAE)

Gymnocalyciums
G. pflanzii v. albopulpa
G. ferrarii
G. damsii v. rotundulum
G. asterium
G. ragonesii
G. stenogonum

Also some of the Ferocactus

Mammillaria
M. bombycina
M. luethyii
M. spinosissima

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

David,
There is also Arid Lands that lots of folks here speak highly of http://www.aridlands.com/catalog/default.php Their prices are really good as well!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am about 95% interested. I would be buying house plants or those hardy to zone 4. So if that is what is going to be available yes I am interested.

Below is my current wholesale list. Several other businesses will receive this list and since supplies are limited, orders will be filled in the order they are received.

Regards,

Miles Anderson
Miles' To Go
www.miles2go.com

Miles' To Go Wholesale List 07/30/06
520-682-7272 * fax520-682-0480 * Miles2G@aol.com
PO Box 6, Cortaro, AZ 85652

Prices do not include shipping. We ship bare-root via Priority Mail.

Minimum order of $75.00 from wholesale list. Minimum of five of any item. Quantities available for wholesale are listed to the left of the item.

25 - A. fissuratus subsp. fissuratus - #5094 - 1¼"plant - $1.50 - nice 4-year-old seedlings of the only species of Ariocarpus occurring in the USA, short triangular tubercles become rough and fissured when mature, might be flowering size this fall, (19-year-old parent plant in flower)
25 - A. retusus v. furfuraceus - #5098.3 - 1.5"plant - $1.50 - when mature the fat gray tubercles of this northern form often grow to be as wide as they are long; occasionally wrinkled surface, white flowers sometimes with a blush of pink
25 - Ariocarpus trigonus - #5102 - 2¼"pot - $1.50 - claw-like olive green tubercles will form large low rosettes someday, large scented yellow flower
50 - Astrophytum asterias - #5446 - ~2"plant - $1.00 - spineless flat button-like stem with white flecks, yellow flower with orange throat, flowering size
20 - A. capricorne v. senile - #7946 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - round stem with almost no flecking becomes shortly columnar, develops dense curly brown spines, large yellow flower with red throat
20 - Coryphantha macromeris v. "viola" - #8358 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - egg-shaped soft light green stems with large tubercles and very short spines, large light pink flower with feathery edges, makes low clusters
20 - Coryphantha scheeri v. scheeri - #8195 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - from Caballos, TX, dwarf variety of this species, low gray-green stems bear hooked tan spines and light yellow flowers
20 - Discocactus araniespinus - #5459 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low stem with dense curly yellow spines, scented white flowers at night when mature
15 - Echinocereus delaetii - #5282 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - nice seedlings of the uncommon species, upright stems with long thin white spines, large pink flower eventually
25 - Echinocereus sheeri ssp. gentryi - #5315 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - plump clustering finger-thick almost spineless stems, large light pink flower
25 - Epithelantha micromeris - #5496 - 2"pot - $1.00 - low round stem covered in short dense white spines, solitary when young, small light pink flowers followed by bright pink fruit, these are just flowering size
25 - Epithelantha unguispina - #5497 - 2"pot - $1.00 - low round stem covered in dense white spines, clustering and developing short black-tipped central spines when mature, pink flower
25 - Ferocactus pilosus (F.pringlei) - #7059 - 3¼"pot - $1.50 - shiny dark green stem with thick dark red spines without white radial spines
25 - Ferocactus recurvus - #8461 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - light green stem with short heavy curved reddish spines, thick sharp ribs, considered a form of F. latispinus
25 - Ferocactus robustus - #6777 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - shiny dark green stem with sparse red/brown spines, while main stem grows to 4" it forms a large cluster to more than 6 feet across
25 - Ferocactus santa-maria - #7053 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - initially club-shaped stems with heavy white and brown spines, (offered this spring as just F. herrerae)
25 - Ferocactus viridescens - #7061 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low round shiny green stem, thick curved red spines, yellow-green flower when mature
25 - Gymnocalycium andrea #8441 - 2.25"pot - $1.00 - small soft green body, short light colored spines, large yellow flowers in summer
25 - Gymnocalycium bruchii - #5507 - 3¼"pot - $1.50 - low clustering light green stems, short soft white spines, pink flowers in spring, hardy to 10F
20 - Gymnocalycium damsii v. torulosum - #8672 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low reddish to yellowish green stem, few short tan spines, pink flowers
25 - Gymno. griseopallidum - #8537 - 3¼"pot - $1.50 - flattened gray-green body with pinkish edges, short tan spines, thick ribs with sharp edges
25 - Gymnocalycium stenogonum - #8203 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - low stem green stem with short erect spines, green flowers
25- Leuchtenbergia principis - #5517.2 - 3.25"pot - $1.00 - odd species is technically a Ferocactus, long thin triangular tubercles with tan grass-like spines, large yellow flowers
15 - Lobivia arachnacantha v. torrecillasensis - #8393 - 2.75"pot - $1.00 - low clustering dark green stems, short reddish spines, large red flowers in summer
25 - Lobivia haageana - #8086 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - close to L. marsoneri, shiny dark green body, short curved spines, large dark red flower
25 - Lobivia saltensis - #8066 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - egg-shaped green stem with thin reddish spines, small, pretty dark orange-red flowers
25 - Lobivia wegheiana - #8781 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - low shiny green body, curved tan spines, red flowers, close to L. pentlandii
25 - Mammillaria albicoma - #7637 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low clustering stems from thick tap root, short soft spines, small scented yellow flowers
25 - Mammillaria aureilanata - #7254 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - solitary dwarf with soft golden spines, pinkish white flowers
10 - Mamm. candida - #6787 - 3¼"pot - $1.50 - low stem with very dense short white spines, white flowers in spring
25 - Mamm. huitzilopochtli - #8130 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - solitary round to shortly columnar stem with short dense light brown spines held close to stem, rings of small red flowers in winter
25 - Mammillaria saboae v. haudeana - #5554 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - clusters of this soft-bodied dwarf, large pink flowers
25 - Mammillaria sp. K191/1 - #8741 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - close to M. mercadensis, low stems with dense white or yellow central spines and darker hooked central spines, whitish flowers
20 - Mammillaria sp. Lau 086 - #5530 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - low dark green stems with black and some white spines, rings of intense red/pink flowers in spring
20 - Neoporteria jussieui - #7656 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - light purple stem, thick curved black spines, light purple flowers when mature
15 - Neoporteria napina - #6859 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - round gray stem from taproot, minute spines held close to the body, large off white flower
25 - Notocactus uebelmannianus - #6799 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low green stem with thin wavy yellowish spines held close to the body, rich purple flower in spring
25 - Parodia occulta - #8506 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - small species of the genus, low light green stem, very short dark spines, large orange flowers, uncommon
25 - Rebutia flavistylla - #7476 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - round dark green stem, glassy short white spines, light orange flower,
25 - Rebutia krainziana (red flowered) - #8730 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low soft dark green stem, sparse short tan spines, this batch bred red flowers
20 - Rebutia senilis v. kesselringiana - #8767 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low light green body with glassy tan spines, bright yellow flowers
25 - Rebutia xanthocarpa v. dasyphrissa - #8729 - 1½" plant - $1.00 - low light green stem, tan spines, red flowers
25 - Rebutia xanthocarpa v. salmonea - #8768 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low light green stem, whiteish spines, large salmon flowers
25 - Stenocactus lamellosus - #8355 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - stem with thick wavy ribs, long erect central spines, purple and white flower
25 - Stenocactus tricuspidatus - #7650 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - lightly spined dark green body with many wavy ribs, small yellow flowers, flowering size
20 - Tephrocactus articulatus v. inermis - #7520 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - Pine Cone Cactus, upright spineless finger-like stem (do have minute glochids though), white flower when mature
25 - Thelocactus heterochromus - #7525 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - round dark green stem with large tubercles, develops heavy white and red spines, large purple flowers
25 - Thelocactus matudae - #7947 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - dark green body with long tubercles, long tan spines, large purple flower when mature
25 - Trichocereus terscheckii - #7540 - 3¼"pot - $1.50 - large-growing tree type species, light green stem, stout brown spines

SUCCULENTS

20 - Adenia venenata - #5014 - 2.25"pot - $1.00 - light green upright thick vining stem with deeply incised green and light green leaves, forms thick conical trunk
50 - Adenium arabicum (APOCYNACEAE) - #6860.2 - 2"pot - $1.00 - one of the largest above-ground species/varieties in this genus, nice fat seedlings make impressive specimen in time. Alas, the flower is small and pink
25 - Adenium boehmianum - #6666 - 2"pot - $1.00 - develops upright stem from thick root, gray-green leaves, pale violet to purple flowers with darker center in late summer when mature
50 - Adenium somalense (tree type) - #7570 - 2"pot - $1.00 - tall growing form from Somalia, forms fairly thick conical trunk to 9' tall, bright red and white flowers in spring
50 - Agave ferdinandi-regis - #7000 - 2.25"pot - $1.00 - seedlings from choice parents, forms 3' rosette of dark green leaves with thick black spines at tip
50 - Agave geminiflora - #5045 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - thin flexible green leaves are round in cross-section and eventually form rosettes to about 2' in diameter
50 - Agave neomexicana - #8776 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - quite cold hardy species forms about 2'-wide rosettes of blue-gray leaves with black spines on margins and tips, cute seedlings
25 - Aloinopsis rosulata - #7665 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - low rosettes of fat brownish leaves from small tuberous root, golden flowers
20 - Bowiea volubilis (HYACINTHACEAE) - #8311 - ~1"bulb - $1.00 - nice seedlings of the Climbing Onion", initially thin bright green fleshy leaves arise from shiny green bulb but then it produces a rambling green "vine" which is actually a modified flower stalk, (all parts of this plant are poisonous if eaten)
25 - Caralluma acutangula (ASCLEPIADACEAE) - #8193 - 2" pot - $1.00 - (=C. russeliana) nice seedlings of one of the largest Stapeliads, 4-angled gray-green stems can grow to 2' tall, baseball-sized clusters of small foul-smelling almost black flowers when mature
18 - Ebracteola wilmaniae (MESEMBRYANTHEMACEAE) - #8375 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - thin upright bluish leaves form clusters, large light pink flowers
25 - Euphorbia suzannae - #6796 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - neat green stems, like a little round burr, will form large clusters
30 - Faucaria candida (MESEMBRYANTHEMACEAE) - #8743 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - tidy paired green leaves with short teeth on the margins of the leaves
25 - Faucaria sp. nova Sandpoort - #8361 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - nice heavily clustering species with short light green leaves, large yellow flowers in winter
25 - Fockea edulis (ASCELPIADACEAE) - #7062 - 2¼"pot - $1.00 - vining stems with green leaves from warty white tuberous caudex which can grow quite large in time, making an attractive specimen
25 - Fouquieria diguettii - #7624.3 - 5" tall - $1.50 - from Baja, large-growing species, gray/brown stems with long sharp spines, green leaves in summer, red flowers when mature
25 - Gasteria nitida v. nitida - #8663 - 2.75"pot - $1.50 - rarely offered, thick erect dark green bumpy leaves, forms large rosette when mature
50 - Idria columnaris (FOUQUIERIACEAE) - #6743.3 - 3¼ pot - $1.50 - Boojum Tree from Baja, CA, odd plant starts with pencil-thick stem which produces thin leafy, spiny side branches, main trunk becomes stout and conical in time like upside down white carrot
50 - Manfreda maculata (AGAVACEAE) - #8734 - 3.25"pot - $1.50 - Agave relative with soft green leaves with occasional purple spots
20 - Pleiospilos bolusii 'Envy' - #8532 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - fat paired light green leaves, large white flower
20 - Pleiospilos nelii - #7463 - 2¾"pot - $1.00 - fat paired green leaves almost form a ball, large orange and yellow flower
25 - Tumamoca macdougalii (CUCURBITACEAE) - #8526 - 2¼"pot - $1.50 - rarely available native of the Sonoran Desert, this species starts with a small carrot-shaped caudex, can eventually form a large branched caudex that can fill a 6" pot, light green dissected leaves on thin vines during the summer, small white flowers and orange fruit
50 - Uncarina roeoesliana (PEDALIACEAE) - #7798.3 - 2¼"pot - $1.50 - smallest of the genus, fuzzy lobed green leaves, yellow flowers with thin purple lines in the throat, forms thick tuberous root which can be staged in bonsai pots, odd spiny fruit

Okay,this is what Miles sent me to look over. Its a pretty good selection and I did see some things i'd be interested in and you arent gonna find these prices anywhere else.

As you can see from the numbers to the left of the item description,some are in short supply and he also said other sources will have copies of this list so if we want to do this we need to get the people together and get busy.

So far we only have 7 people.

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am interested in the C & S co-op...count me in.

Miles Anderson has top quality plants. I've ordered from him many times. The quality and size of his plants are the best I've found through mail order.

Shirley

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

That is an impressive list. I am 100% now.

Pauline

New question!!! Should we have a cut off date for this. Say friday (8/4/06) If we're gonna do this we need to get it done so we have a greater chance of getting the plants we want.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I want!
1 -Adenium arabicum (APOCYNACEAE) - #6860 1.00
1 - Adenium boehmianum - #6666 - 1.00
1 - Adenium somalense (tree type) - #7570 1.00
4- Ebracteola wilmaniae (MESEMBRYANTHEMACEAE) - #8375 - 4.00
4 - Euphorbia suzannae - #6796 - 6.00
4 - Gasteria nitida v. nitida - #8663 - 2.75"pot - $6.00
6 - Manfreda maculata (AGAVACEAE) - #8734 - 3.25"pot - $9.00-
3 - Pleiospilos bolusii 'Envy' - #8532 - 2¾"pot - $3.00-
3 - Pleiospilos nelii - #7463 - 2¾"pot - $3.00-
4 - Uncarina roeoesliana (PEDALIACEAE) - #7798.3 - 2¼"pot - $1.50 - 6.00

total 48.50

tell me where/how to send it

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 1:57 PM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm interested, David, especially in the adeniums and the uncarina. I would take one of each if others want them, too. If no one else is interested in them, I would be willing to take all 5 of the bohemianum adenium.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Woops, I can't get it together in time. I am on the way out of town. Drop me from the list please.

Pauline

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's my list:

CACTUS
Ferocactus pilosus - 1
Gymnocalycium damsii v. torulosum - 1 (can buy more to make up the 5)
Gymnocalycium stenogonum -1 (can buy more to make up the 5)
Neoporteria jussieui - 1 (can buy more to make up the 5)
Neoporteria napina - 1 (can buy more to make up the 5)

SUCCULENTS
Caralluma acutangula - 3

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

4 - Adenium arabicum - #6860.2 - 2"pot - $1.00 = $4.00
2 - Adenium boehmianum - #6666 - 2"pot - $1.00 = $2.00
2 - Adenium somalense (tree type) - #7570 - 2"pot - $1.00 = $2.00
1 - Uncarina roeoesliana - #7798.3 - 2¼"pot - $1.50 = $1.50
1 Adenia venenata - #5014 - 2.25"pot - $1.00 = $1.00

Subtotal 10.50
Shipping 8.10
TOTAL $18.60

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 4:53 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

FYI - I dmailed a few others that I know enjoy the C & S'....hopefully we'll hear from them as well.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm interested. Chantell said she would look after getting them to me.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

David, please count me in. I'll be posting my list after a bit more research later today. Thanks very much for your willingness to take on this project!
Sheri

For those of you who might have missed it, this list is also being sent to other sources. So it may end up with some of the varieties and quantities that we want not being available.

Here's my want list::

4--ariocarpus trigonus @ 1.50= $6.00
3--astrophytum asterias @ 1.00=$3.00
3--astrophytum capricorne v senile @ 1.00=$3.00
3--echinocereus delaetii @1.50=$4.50
3--epithelantha unguispina @ 1.00=$3.00
2--ferocactus pilosus @ 1.00=$2.00
5--gymnocalycium andrea @ 1.00=$5.00
3--mammillaria aurielanata @ 1.00=$3.00
3--mammillaria candida @ 1.50=$4.50
3--mammillaria huitzilopochtli @ 1.00=$3.00
3--neoporteria jussieui @ 1.00=$3.00
3--neoporteria napina @1.00=$3.00
3--tumamoca macdougalii @ 1.50=$4.50
2--uncarina roeoesliana @ 1.50=$3.00-----
------------------Total$50.50

I need these like I need a hole in the head but at these prices i'mnot gonna pass them up. I just hope that we all get enough ordered of the things we want to actually get them and that they are all still in stock.

David

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 8:15 PM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 3:32 PM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 7:18 PM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 7:20 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 3:18 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 7:00 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, here's my wish list:

1 - Adenium obesum arabicum @ 1.00
1 - Adenium obesum boehmianum @ 1.00
1 - Adenium obesum somalense @ 1.00
2 - Coryphantha scheeri v. scheeri @ 1.00
1 - Echinocereus delaetii @ 1.00
1 - Epithelantha micromeris @ 1.00
2 - Ferocactus pilosus @ 1.50
1 - Mammillaria aureilanata @ 1.00
2 - Mammillaria candida @ 1.50
1 - Mammillaria huitzilopochtli @ 1.00
1 - Neoporteria napina @ 1.00
1 - Euphorbia suzannae @ 1.50

Subtotal - $17.50
Shipping - $8.10
Total - $25.60

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 4:08 PM

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is the list of plants I would like to have:

0 - Astrophytum asterias @ $1.00 = 0
0- Astrophytum capricorne v. senile @ $1.00 =0
0 - Echinocereus delaetii @$1.50 = 0
0 - Epithelantha micromeris @ $1.00 = 0
0 - Epithelantha unguispina @ $1.00 = 0
0 - Mammillaria aureilanata @$1.00 = 0
0- Mammillaria huitzilopochtli @$1.00 = 0
0 - Neoporteria jussieui @$1.00 = 0
0 - Neoporteria napina @$1.00 = 0
0 - Bowiea volubilis @$1.00 = 0
0- Caralluma acutangula @$1.00 = 0
0 - Coryphanta scheeri v. scheeri @$1.00 = 0
0 - Parodia occulta @$1.00 = 0
0- Coryphanta macromeris v. "viola" - @$1.00 = 0
0 - Mammillaria candida @$1.50 = 0

** Edited to say I will not be able to participate in the co-op.**

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 11:14 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

David, I don't know if this helps at all, but I stumbled across this place the other day while looking for claret cup cactus and he has a wholesale list with reduced prices for buying multiples of five or 10 of anything. It's Mesa Gardens and they have a 100% rating in the watchdog.

http://www.mesagarden.com/wholepl.html

I don't want to copy and paste the entire list because it's very long but here's some from the top of the wholesale list. Go to the link to see the entire list.

BTW, please put me down as interested if there are some hardies offered.

Cactus Plants

@5 @10
Ancistrocactus
9-scheeri /16/ form with grass-green flowers 2.25 1.80

Ariocarpus
#31.8-kotschoubeyanus v macdowellii /17/ pink fl, tiny star stem 4.50 3.60
#34-retusus SB68 /15/ Coronel, SLP, white to pink flower 3.75 3.00
#36.9-retusus 'furfuraceus' small densely packed tubercles 3.75 3.00

Astrophytum
54-capricorne v minor /17/ dense curly spines 2.25 1.80
65-myriostigma v tulense /15/ tall in age, white stem 2.25 1.80
68-ornatum SB127 Metztitlan, Hgo, stem to 1.5m tall , white flecks 2.25 1.80

Azureocereus
73.1-hertlingianus v viridis KK333 Apurimac, stem with strong sp 2.63 2.10

Cleistocactus
78.6-baumannii NW of Cordoba, Arg., 800m, fine dark sp 2.25 1.80

Copiapoa
84.27-cupreata KK1382 small rounded stem, huge taproot 2.63 2.10
84.83-haseltoniana globose stem, yellow sp, yellow wooly crown 2.63 2.10
85-humilis dark grey stem, short black spines 2.25 1.80
85.875-paposoensis give gritty humus free soil 3.00 2.40
85.89-tenuissima thick soft almost black stem, wooly crown 2.63 2.10

Coryphantha
104.8-gladiispina DJF757.45 Estacion Marte, Coah, bright yellow fl 1.88 1.50
105.8-greenwoodii /14/ soft rounded tubercles 2.25 1.80
108.5-laui ISI-1355 /13,16/ Sierra de la Paila, pink flowers 2.25 1.80
126.05-ramillosa DJF65 /17/ nr Sierra del Carmen, Coah 2.25 1.80
129-runyonii /17/ clusters freely, frilled purple fl 2.25 1.80

Echinocactus
176.27-platyacanthus SB1630 s Jaumave, big wooly fruits 2.25 1.80

Echinocereus
198.812-enneacanthus /17/ Sierra Blanca, Tx, flabby 1.88 1.50
258.4-stramineus SB667 /13,17/ Ramon Arispe, shiny pink tipped sp 2.25 1.80

Echinofossulocactus
299.135-phyllacanthus SB436 /16/ Tula, flat papery spines 2.25 1.80
314.2-phyllacanthus v violaciflorus SB107 /16/ Salinas, boney spines 1.88 1.50

Echinopsis
347.8-melanopotamica P98 Puellches, La Pampa, Arg, short black sp 2.25 1.80

Epithelantha
353.6-micromeris JM119 /17/ Guadalupe Mts, Eddy Co, NM 2.25 1.80
363.7-greggii DJF626 s Monclova, white fuzzy spines 2.63 2.10
365-greggii SB321 Cuesta la Muralla, black tipped sp 3.00 2.40
367.3-greggii SB1155 La Rosa, Coah, round clustering heads 2.63 2.10

Eriocereus
370.8-tortuosa La Plata, Arg, wavy edge on ribs 2.63 2.10

Escobaria
371-albicolumnaria SB411 /17/ Brewster Co, Tx, tall white stems 2.25 1.80
373.2-chaffeyi SB966 /17/ Brewster Co, Tx, tiny plants 2.63 2.10
376.5-dasyacantha HK380 /17/ Candelaria, Tx, pink sp, red fruits 2.25 1.80
385-orcutti SB76 /17/ Hidalgo Co, NM, white spines 2.25 1.80

Ferocactus
420.02-echidne DJF617 ne Aramberri, NL, low barrel 2.25 1.80
425.2-latispinus FO-052 Pachuca, Hgo 2.25 1.80
425.5-latispinus v spiralis FO-68 High Sierra Mixteca 2.25 1.80
425.82-macrodiscus SB1610 Xichu, Qro, flat few spined form 2.63 2.10

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 8:57 PM

Hart,thanks for the info but I think at this point we're just going to stick with miles to go.
I've bought from Mesa before and wasnt overly excited about what I got from him. He bragged over the phone about having so much of stapelia flavopurpurea that he just threw it away out back behind his gh. Well that was one of the plants that I ordered from him. When I got it it was one single pencil thin unrooted cutting about 2 1/2 inches long. Surely if you have enough to throw away, you can send a paying customer something better than what I received.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Okay, here we go:

1- Astrophytum asterias @ 1.00 = $1.00
4- Coryphantha macromeris v. "viola" @ 1.00 = $4.00
4- Coryphantha scheeri v. scheeri @ 1.00 = $4.00
3- Echinocereus delaetii @ 1.50 =$4.50
1 - Epithelantha micromeres @ 1.00 = $1.00
1- Ferocactus pilosus (F.pringlei) @ 1.50 = $1.50
1- Neoporteria jussieui @ 1.00 = $1.00
2- Adenia venenata @ 1.00 = $2.00
2- Adenium arabicum @ 1.00 = $2.00
2- Adenium boehmianum @ 1.00 = $2.00
2- Adenium somalense @ 1.00 = $2.00
4- Agave ferdinandi-regis @ 1.00 = $4.00
4- Agave neomexicana @ 1.00 = $4.00
3- Fockea edulis @ 1.00 = $3.00
1- Idria columnaris @ 1.50 = $1.50
1- Manfreda maculata @ 1.50 = $1.50
1- Tumamoca macdougalii @ 1.50 = $1.50
1- Uncarina roeoesliana @ 1.50 = $1.50

Plant total $42.00
plus (38 plants x $.10 for Miles’ shipping) = $3.80
plus (3 Flat Rate boxes @ $8.10) = $24.30

Money Order Total: $70.10

David, thanks so much for your work on making this possible.
Sheri

This message was edited Aug 5, 2006 3:00 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Just trying to help since I stumbled across that page anyway, David. I'm sure you all know a lot more about the good places to order than I do.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

hart,
That was sweet of you to help with suggestions!! Funny how different folks can have different experience with businesses. As you said Mesa had 100% rating w/watchdog - and David hasn't had any of the negative plant experiences with CalPlants that I've had. Just depends on who you talk to...ya know?

Edit to add: agrree to a deadline soon

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 9:57 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey David,

I would like to participate. Here is my want list.

Ariocarpus trigonus - #5102 1.50
3 Astrophytum asterias - #5446 @ 1.00= 3.00
2 A. capricorne v. senile - #7946 @1.00= 2.00
2 Coryphantha scheeri v. scheeri - #8195 @1.00= 2.00

Echinocereus delaetii - #5282 1.50

2 Epithelantha micromeris - #5496 @1.00=2.00
2 Epithelantha unguispina - #5497 @1.00= 2.00
2 Ferocactus pilosus (F.pringlei) - #7059 @1.50= 3.00

Mammillaria aureilanata - #7254 1.00
Mamm. candida - #6787 1.50
2 Mamm. huitzilopochtli - #8130 @ 1.00=2.00

Parodia occulta - #8506 1.00

3 Agave ferdinandi-regis - #7000 @ 1.00 3.00
Ebracteola wilmaniae
(MESEMBRYANTHEMACEAE) - #8375 1.00
Gasteria nitida v. nitida - #8663 1.50
Pleiospilos bolusii 'Envy' - #8532 1.00

SubTotal: $27.00
0.10 x 26 plants= $2.60
8.10 x 2 boxs= 16.20

Total= 45.80

Edited at 11:20 am August 8th to finalize my order.
Thanks for doing this.

David

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 6:35 AM

This message was edited Aug 6, 2006 11:17 AM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Everybody,

As I was making my list, I started to feel guilty about all the work David was setting himself up for. So I thought that if we split the cost of his order evenly and added that to the money we sent him, we could buy his plants for him.

I do not know if this has been done before, and I am sure he would protest, but if he got the money in a money order he would be stuck with it.

His order costs $43.50. If 20 people ordered it would be ~ 2.20 each, if 30 people ordered it would be 1.45. I think we can swing it.

Let me know what you think.

David

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I would certainly agree with that! This seems like a huge undertaking, and I'm behind any idea to thank David for his work in making this possible for all of us.
Sheri

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I am in~ I will look over the list tomorrow, I am still out of town, but will spend a little time tomorrow morning looking at the whole sale list~ I am sure there are several I want!! :) Ahem, need!

You're right davidmk, I would protest!!! I know this is a big undertaking on my part and gosh knows I hope I can handle it!!!(LOL)

I just think we may need to cut this off sometime tonight though because we've got a really nice order together and as mentioned before this list is being viewed by other sources who also have the option of purchasing these same plants.

If we want to have a better chance at getting these we need to get the order in ASAP.

I really appreciate the offer to cover the cost of my plants but this is why I work all the hours that I do so I can afford the finer things in life such as some new cactus plants!!(LOL)

Also Chantell mnentioned earlier about shipping these plants in teh priority mail flat rate boxes. I didnt think the plants would fit becasue miles ends large plants. But I am starting to think tha the plants offered on this wholesale list may be a bit smaller thatn normal and will infact fit into those flate rate boxes.

So once everyone has tallied up their order you will need to add the postage cost to that total. Off the top of my head I cant recall the exact price of those boxes,I do know that it's $8 something. If anyone knows the exact price feel free to post it here.

David

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey David,

I just read your posts on the other thread about difficulty getting payment for the other mailing you did. I do not know all that is involved, but maybe you could get a PayPal account. It may be easier than money orders.

I imagine they take a cut, like all credit cards do. I imagine it would be 1-5% of each payment. If that is the case, even with a $100 order, someone would only owe $5 more. If you did sign up, you could tell us the surcharge. I would probably have to pay for a money order, go get it, go mail it, it is wearing me out thinking about it.

Anyway, it is only a suggestion. I would happily send a MO if that would be better for you.

David

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

David, I have a question.

How will we know the totals of each plant and who possibly needs to change a selection or order more of a certain plant?

Also, the priority flat rate for box is $8.10, but it's a fairly small box. I don't know how many plants will fit. (it is good up to 70 lbs, though!)

Mary Ev.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

Thre are two different boxes for flat rate. one is square and smaller and one is flat and bigger.

Yes paypal charges a surcharge if you are a business. If it is a personal account and no credit cards are accepted I'm pretty sure it is free. (I could be wrong about that too). But in another co-op I just finished paying for we gave her postage and the fee for paypal.

I agree tonight. it looks like we have a good order going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.