August Daily Weather, What's happening in your neighborhood?

(Zone 3b)

starfly : I didn't know turtles could cause damage. We don't have gophers or rats..we do have shrews, much like a mouse, but have never seen one indoors. Other than mosquitos and no-see-ums, no bugs to contend with.
kiska
alaska

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

kiska
oh yes they dig holes all over and some of them is real deep.
guess you don,t have love bugs.they come twice a year
go about middle way down on this web site and you will see our love bugs

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/love_among_bugs.html

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 8:37 PM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I suspect that reason you aren't allowed to handle the gopher tortoises is because humans can transmit disease to them. It's that way with desert tortoises. I don't remember what the disease is. (Desert tortoises are an endangered species in California. I saw one once. I picked it up and moved it off the road. That was before I knew that you aren't supposed to touch them.)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Still warm here. Heat index 110-115 today. 108 at the bank when I drove by. Lots of humidity. I watered everything this am - took about 1-1/2 hours just to keep stuff alive.

The local seniors center is open 24 hours with food and drinks, for our apartment dwelling seniors. A lot of our local Dutchman will not turn the AC up to cool themselves (against their frugal nature) or do not have AC to begin with. Many also live in 2nd and 3rd floor aptmts. in this small town. They are of the old school and figure they never needed cooling before. What they don't realize is that their bodies have aged, their internal thermostats don't work, and they end up with heat exhaustion or worse..

Supposed to be only in the 80's tomorrow. Boy has the crab grass been growing!! Gotta mix up a batch of Roundup.
Claire

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Someone opened the dams up above, to say it rain buckets doesn't cover it :0))
I don't have a rain gauge so I don't know how much we got so far but I have an inch of water on half my front yard and """I live on the top of a hill !!!!
The day before yesterday we had thunder and lightning. Poor Tayson was so scared he hid under the kitchen table. He wouldn't eat or didn't even dare to lay down. Normally he goes down in the basement but the lightning lit up the whole house, so sadly his "safe spot" didn't make him feel safe with THAT much lightning going on.

Before the rain started on the Aug 2 I heard a racket going on on the former gasstation. went up and checked and there was the Chickenfarms delivery truck. they have a few deliveries around the year and this is one of their meeting stops. They where a month early and I had only 10 bucks on me. I asked the guy if he would sell me two brown chicks for 10 bucks and he did. So took one under each arm and went home. OOOOH the look on Taysons face when he saw the new addition ROTFLOL he hate birds. He have had a hard time accepting Gonzo and now (temporary in with Gonzo) there is two even bigger birds invading "HIS" space.

Temp is down to 65 F. they predict sun at the middle of today.

They are between 17-20 weeks old

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful chickens Janett! I love their white tails. DD has chickens the same color, but brown tails too. I love seeing them run around her yard.

Starfly, I didn't know a turtle could be so much trouble. I guess I love river turtles that stay by the river.

70* and humid. Have no idea what the day is going to bring. I've been busy since I got up at 5:00 am. DH has vacation next week. Relax!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty birds, Sorry you are on the flood end of the scale.
I seems the rain is either "Feast or Famine ", Flood or Drought"
82.2 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 67 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h from the SW
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h ***This makes the difference here.***
95° F | 73° F, 35° C | 23° C is predicted today with 30% chance of rain.
Hang in folks, stay dry, cool, and out of the path of lightning!
Sidney

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yikes, se_eds!! I hope it cools off quickly for you all. Beautiful chickens, Janett. :-)
Current conditions in Houston:
Partly Cloudy (There isn't a cloud in the sky that I can see.. They must all be hanging out at the airport this morning.)
81°F (27°C)
Humidity: 82 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.04" (1017.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 75°F (24°C)
Heat Index: 87°F (31°C)
Visibility: 10.00 m

There's a 20% chance of thunderstorms today, the high is supposed to be 94°, which isn't bad at all. :-)

(Zone 3b)

good morning- in our neighborhood, it's 44 degrees, cloudy and perhaps raining before it's over, but the wind has died down..the clouds skimming the mt. tops are quite dark and threatening.
janett_d - that was some heavy-duty rainfall there..Thunder and lightening are not often seen and heard in these parts.
A snapshot of "Friday Fling" here in Palmer.. local produce/crafts for sale on Fridays for a few weeks in the summer.
kiska
alaska

Thumbnail by kiska
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Clare, hopefully you'll get the cooler temps we're enjoying today. We hardly got any rain, though. So much for Indy's storms giving us a dousing!

I'm going to the farmer's market today. This will be the first one in a couple weeks where the temp wasn't unbearable. I might even linger and take some photos of the vendors. Last year's pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/gardenwife/NewarkDowntownFarmerSMarket2005

Current Weather:

Currently in Newark, OH (43055)
Temperature 81°F Sunny
Feels Like 82°F
Dew Point: 62°F
Humidity: 52%
Pressure: 30.07 inches
Wind: From the North Northwest at 9 mph

Today: Sunshine along with a few clouds. High 84F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Tonight: Generally clear. Low 59F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

I really ought to open up the house today.

Burr kiska, I just shiver thinking of it. I have a cousin that moved to Alaska about the same time you did and the heat really gets to her now.
I am adapted to this hot humidity now and will only get cold if I'm getting paid for it.
I am actually hoping to get a job in MD or PA soon as a Boiler Contractor Safety Lady.
All prayers you sweet folks can spare towards that goal will be most kindly appreciated.
Sidney

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You've got it, Sidney.

Thanks Kimberly.
;)

(Zone 3b)

sugarweed: Hope you get the move you're wanting...
We are leaving this evening for the drive out and I'll be gone for 2 weeks.
kiska

We'll miss you. I don't move, I just leave for awhile and work, then come home and play in the garden.
I moved to Florida so I could play outside and garden year round.
Like I said I will go north to work and therefore keep a heavy Carhart and some wool winter wardrobe too.
My work is as a Union Boilermaker. Therefore I have job opportunities all over the country.
Drive safely and watch out for the other guys and Moose'es.
LOL
Sidney

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Sidney,
It fell my lot a few years ago to have as part of my duties the daily care of 2 large gas fired [Cleaver Brooks sounds like the make] steam boilers for an automotive parts plant...also the annual inspection prep.

;)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Burning the midnight oil here, but at least my server is up now.
We had a delightful cloudy day today. It was even sprinkling now and then. Temps were a lovely 78*F after the last little shower went by at about 3 this afternoon. Do you know how rare that is in mid-summer here in Moab?

Wonderful treat for us. Great chickens Janett, what next. And how is your shoulder? and we are all having rather unusual, extreme weather more often it seems.
Hmmm..~Blooms

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Sugar you have my prayers an fingers crossed for the new job :0))

Blooms, got a letter from the Ortho and they will not even considour to give me an app untill two months have past. our health laws state that they have to ""start""give you the care you need within a 3 month period. I was in the hospital to get my lungs X-rayed after a comment from the DR about how my lungs sounded when I was operated on late winter and after the Xray I went up to Ortho. Since the frst DR says its my wrist my case is a LOW priority for app. I told her that its my shoulder and that the DR was an idiot. Well if I want a faster app I have to go back to the idiot and change his mind and he wont change his mind even if the arm would fall off.
I have started to get used to the pain and cramps and can work trou them quite good but vaccuming and cleaning after making food when you have to pull your arm back and forth is a big AOUCH so my home starts to look like a wreck, but the kids help out, they have learned to read my face when its too much.

Hehe, whats next.................Well if this place where mine I would convert the two back garages that I lend to the landlord to get less rent into a stable. the house is 3 floors and the double garage is made in two floors. I would have at least one pig (slaughter not pet) and maybe a hourse for Hanna. that she can ride and maybe I take a course how to "drive" horse and carridge since I cant ride anymore. well I can but am not "allowed" to. My back cant take another fall.
I am always on the lookout for a better place and I would love to get one with a stable chicken pen etc and a greenhouse would be a dream and a big plot to grow my own food a lot more then I can now.

Even if I am a citygirl (Capitol) bred and bourne my hart has alway been to the country life. Healthwise I know I can NEVER return to the city and my all time dream have been to be as selfsufficient as I possible can be and if I can start to sell plants and seeds (small nursery) THAT would absolutly be the icing on the cake.

Kiska. How much difference those few latitudes make. August is our hottest month and high summer but September comes fast with the fall. Well atleast it usually is our hottest. The last couple of days rain have lowered the temp plenty.
Temp 72 F
The sky is covered with thin "cloud" but the sun is getting trough.
What do you call it when its just like a thin film of the clouds as they are to thin to be considoured overcast.
trancelated we call it Fogveil even if it/they are on high altitude
Janett

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Northwestern Missouri Sunny ,hot, and humid today. Nothing but heat for us. I did pick some very nice peaches early this morning and will have more to pick later. We had a wonderful rain event a few days ago giving us a couple of inches to the dry ground. Have a nice weekend everyone.

cuckoo

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Hot. hot today, do not know the official temperature, but when I went to the grocery at 4:30 my pickup said 108. We are hurting so much for rain. Had 1/2"+ last week and are on watering restrictions.
Jannet love your chickens. I grew up on a farm and miss the animals.

Bet that rain really plumped those peaches.
Here we have a drought going on and it's hot and sunny again today.
;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It's Sweatin' to the Oldies here in central Ohio! I watered/fertilized with a hose-end sprayer, really giving everything a good drink. My reward? It just started spitting from the skies...But I'm not counting on the thunderstorms bringing rain. I played that game and everything's crispy. LOL

Temperature: 88°F
Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like 94°F I can vouch for it! Whew!
Dew Point: 71°F
Humidity: 57%
Pressure: 30.06 inches
Wind: calm

It's nice to have a sunny day that isn't brutally hot.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 06, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
80 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h from the SE
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16

I'm sure the roses appreciate it, too.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Wow, Kelli, that's a pretty rose and an almost perfect day. I'm so jealous.
Sidney

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

Rain! We had rain! Actual drops from the actual sky! Rain!

Thumbnail by Susannah_C
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Susannah_C - isn't that neat - raindrops from the sky. You did not have to drill a well, pump the water or pay a water bill. That was a gift from heaven. So glad you got some.

It got up into the low 90's today. Ground is dry as a bone about 2-1/2 inches down from the heat wave last week. The humidity dropped yesterday - great!!! I am watering seedlings. Had one bloom on a seedling daylily I planted out this spring.
Claire

Thumbnail by se_eds

That's pretty Claire.
;)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sugar, I have about 200 of them for next spring. LOL

When should daylily seeds be planted? Do you have to do anything special to them before planting? I crossed Centerpiece with Prairie Blue Eyes and got some seeds. I've never tried growing them from seed before.

Ohhhhhhhh, we're gonna have babies!!!
;)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelli - I am not familiar with seeds in your area. Check the Daylily Forum. There is a sticky note attached to the top of the forum with a wealth of information.

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Beautiful day here today, mild.........76* and no wind.
Perfect Wisconsin weather. Now, I remember why I like it here ;0)

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

forgot my canna.........don't know the name though. One of two like this from a wally-world bag.

Thumbnail by plantzoo
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful sunny day -temps in the high eighties - BUT humidity in the mid twenties. Digging weather! Love it. Getting seedling beds ready for fall planting. No rain in sight - but have a trusty garden hose.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Beautiful day here too. The soil moisture is good too from recent showers.

Well, glad you folks are all well hydrated! It's hotter than Guatamala here, and dry as a bone. I absolutely HAD to hand water several plants that were on their last shriveled root.
I did that while I watched them remove the rest of the "Widow Maker" from between my house and neighbors.
Notice the log he cut is in mid air, an "Action" shot.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

79.0°, 69%, was sunny & nice today even though I selpt through most of it.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wowzer shot, Sidney. That's a pretty big tree. Was it a utility company that took it down?

We had another day under a hundred degrees. only 97* out there today, with a low of 67* and the humidity let up today. was only 19% today.

Our little showers over the past few days have added 3 tenths of an inch of moisture. What they've really done is bring in cooler air and that is a big relief.

Plantzoo, I've always liked the grab bag things. Ever since I was a kid.

It was 49" at it's widest point. The State of Florida hired a subcontractor to do it.
I got one 2" slab of it. I'm hoping to be able to use satelite tv now. I was treed in and may still be.
Siidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.