August Daily Weather, What's happening in your neighborhood?

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

BloomsWithaView, Me too, always anxious to see what I get out of them.

Sugarweed, WOW, that was some tree. What was the beautiful flower growing up the tree? Were you able to save some of it?

Beautiful weather here again today. Cool nights, around mid to high 50*s. Today and the next few days will be in the 70*s with rain showers ;0)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

What kind of tree was that?

Back to more typical summer temps. It got up to 101F yesterday.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

83.1°(F), 93%, rained very hard this morning, for a very short while, about 3am. We need more H2O from the sky.
Looking at the radar pic on intellicast (looping) it looks like the rain is skipping right over us?

Edited for added information

This message was edited Aug 9, 2006 4:53 PM

Standard August day

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 09, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
97 °F / 36 °C
Clear
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h from the South
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 11 out of 16

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The humidity is still low - temps in the mid eighties. Rain to the north and south of us this weekend buy none here. But the weather is sooo delighful. Late blooming daylilies are doing their thing. This is Jen Melon - old cultivar

Thumbnail by se_eds
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That was a Water Oak. The pretty flower was one of my Crepe Myrtles and I still have all 4 I purchased "matched" two years ago. They did land a limb on #2 and broke it twice.
Today they ground it.
We got a good 20 min downpour this evening.
86.5 °F / 30.3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h from the SSW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Sidney

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello from Bolivar, TN. It was 102 here today and the same expected for tomorrow. We have not had rain in approx. 60 days. My hubby is dragging water hoses up and down our 1000' of drive trying to keep the dogwoods and daylilies that line the drive from dying. The other dogwoods in the woods are just about dead. We have been watering other trees out in the woods trying to keep them alive. My heart breaks for the trees that are dying. We have been putting water out in the woods for the snakes, box turtles, rabbits, etc. to at least get a drink now and then. A terra cotta saucer is what we use. There has been rain around us, but none at our place. Liz

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We've had some relief from the heat.

75°F
Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like 75°F
Dew Point: 70°F
Humidity: 83%
Pressure: 29.93 inches
Wind: calm

Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. High 83F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%. Tonight: Partly cloudy early with increasing clouds overnight. Low 63F. Winds light and variable.

Boy, northeastern Illinois and northwestern Indiana are sure getting hammered! Look at this radar right now. We're about on the B in Columbus:

This message was edited Aug 10, 2006 11:31 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

I hope the dogwoods survive, Liz.

They're calling for another hot day, but it wasn't bad this morning. I planted beans and pumpkins. It might be too late for pumpkins, but we'll see.

Here's a winter picture to cool you off. This was taken in January a couple years ago, but it's hail, not snow. I think it's safe to say that it doesn't snow here.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

The rain hit here this afternoon....about 1.6". Some wind and boomers with it. Some of my sweet corn is leaning and some is not. It came from the northwest. I hope the worst is over.....nice rain though for yards, gardens, and fields.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ind&product=N0R&loop=no

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

88.9°(F), 59%, When your through with that rain storm send it over this way please.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Sunny and hot here in Pa. No rain, things are going dormant.

Nothing happened in our area today. And I am thankful.
Claire

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Hi all.
Good news, the Dr:s that operated on my tummy where hearing wrong, No Emphysema on the X-ray. In fact the X-ray showed my lungs have improved big time since I moved to the country side. came back squeaky clean without ANY negative comments as opposite to the one I made almost 5 years ago.

Sunny and about 75 F
Janett

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's wonderful, Janett!! And the picture is nice, too. :-)

Nothing new here, weatherwise...
Partly Cloudy 90°F (32°C)
Humidity: 62 %
Wind Speed: S 14 MPH
Barometer: 29.88" (1012.0 mb)
Dewpoint: 75°F (24°C)
Heat Index: 101°F (38°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

GREAT news, Janett!!!

That's good to hear. :-)

Not too ultra super hot today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 11, 2006
90 °F / 32 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h from the SSE
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa
UV: 9 out of 16

The picture is of Tiger, a goldfish. She wasn't acting right so I took her out of the pond and brought her indoors for treatment. She probably has flukes. She'll be indoors for at least four days.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

71.4°(F), 98%, whomever sent the rain this way - thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ahhhhhhh, yooooooohooooooooooo, who's sending my rain to Dyson????
Great pictures Janett and Kelli.
Lousy hot weather.
Where's Andy?
;)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It's down to 82* at ten o'clock at night. After a day that went to 99* and would have gone higher but clouds moved in about 4 this afternoon. It rained to the south and west of us but we never did get any. Maybe tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my new 'favorite' flower.
It's Rudbeckia Gloriosa ''Irish Eyes'' the flowers each seem to last for weeks. So far anyway. ~Blooms

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Blooms,
This is my first year growing the same Rubeckia . I love it .

Besides that the only other thing going on in my neck of the woods is the sound of the dry ground cracking ;(

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy to read your good news Janet. :)
Hope your fish gets better soon Kelli.
Love your "Irish Eyes" Blooms.....I grew it two years ago and really enjoyed it too. :)

outside 68 °F / 20 °C 74% humidity (was 85 °F) earlier
Inside 80 °F 80% humidity Feels horrible! :b
Inside temps were pushed up by fresh veggie cooking (I'd kill for a summer kitchen or A/C). Made this bean soup and everyone loved it (even the bean haters).

Soupe aux Haricots Verts

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
* 8 oz. green beans, trimmed
* 1 garlic clove pressed
* 2 cups vegetable stock
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
* 1/4 cup light cream
* salt and freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION:
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the beans and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
2. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender.
4. Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender or food processor and purée. Rinse the pot and return the puréed soup back into the pan.
5. Reheat the soup slowly. Stir in the Parmesan and the cream.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2006 10:31 PM

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Soup sounds yummy , I believe I will try it this week-end . Thanks for sharing.

Ahhhhhhhh , What a good idea .... 'a Summer Kitchen' !

Never woulda thunk of that although I like the idea.

I am looking for property in a warmer climate and noticed one house listed had an outside canning room.

;-))
Better yet after I win the Lottery ..........

a Hawaiian style house in the Tropics , with a wrap around lanai and walls made of sliding glass doors? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh dream on .............. ~ ! ~

Pleasent Dreams all,
nite (-_-) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

San Joaquin Valley, Clovis environs:

88 °F / 31 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 45 °F / 7 °C

Enjoying a nice break from the heat today, shooting for a mere 94° . Still mopping up from awful heat wave a couple of weeks ago.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

74 ½° (F), 94%, got good rain, hopeing for a producitive fall garden.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, Dyson, you are allowed to share rain. None here for two weeks. But we have had a cold front move in. It was 48 degrees on the front porch this AM. Humidity is is the high 20's. Working weather, beautiful sunshine and a slight breeze. Feels like September already.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

67 °F / 19 °C :)
humidity 50% :)

Overcast outside and house cooled off nicely today. Ü High 80's low nineties expected to come back .

Scooter my Great Grandmother had a summer kitchen out at the farm and they are wonderful! However if I win Lotto 649 I think I'd go for your idea first (lesser prize I'd buy A/C ;)

Shew! Thunderboomer came through tonight, as the night of Perseids meteor showers is here naturally we get the showers we have waited 3 weeks for. This is the second year in a row where we clouded over. If you are without cloud cover you should see them in about an hour. 11PM Eastern time.
77.0 °F / 25.0 °C
Light Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 24 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h from the SSW
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Will still check for clouds in 50 minutes.
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

69.8°(F), 92% sunny, gonna see if the weed eater will start today.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Right now 88* (we got clouds)
Hi 91* Lo 65* Hum 22%
we've had [point] .48 inch of rain so far this month.

Janett, somehow I missed reading the good news about your lungs.
Hurrah. and what a gorgeous celebration sunset.

Kelli, how's Tiger making out. He's so pretty. And looks like a (snigger) "Fish outta water".

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

plantzoo, your Canna looks like mine. Canna Primrose Yellow dwarf.Starts out yellow with dots and then turn to pink with red dots.
It started raining yesterday after a day of stormy weather. During the night we had a heck of a thunder and lightning going on. Pooor Tayson was hiding out in the basement. Today he is totally exhausted.

Sunny with occational rainshowers that only goes on for a few minutes.
Temp 70 F
Janett

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's going to be 96°, 82% humidity, heat index 104°... A typical August day here in Houston. There's no real chance of rain until Thursday.

Happy Birthday, Sidney!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful day on Long Island: clear skies, sunshine, going to 82: great day for sugarweed - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Wishing you mild days, low humidity, happiness.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Heat Advisory Issued until 7 AM tonight. ....High to be 96° F low 72° F, partly cloudy. Around 10 AM we had 90% Humidity now it's 44%

Sidney, Happy Birthday!!!

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

84.6° (F) and dropping - which is good cause everything in my little veggie beds are fried and I can't seem to get enough water to them.
We had a good shower the other night but that was the other night. I'm headed out to see if I can figure out what is wrong with the irrigation system.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, my irrigation system consisted of 3 sections (50ft.) hose, 1 section (65ft.) hose 1 section (50ft. soaker hose) and an interval timer device I purchased at Wally-world.

The timer device was not working - so now I am back to manually turning the water on and off, but at least the beds are getting a drink.

To be fair my water is very full of iron and that probably caused the device problem, I'll know better when I get it torn down.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

It's raining here again.....days are in mid 80s

Thumbnail by Indy
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It just started raining here also - now I can turn the water system off!

Hot, humid and sunny here. It's threaating to rain.
Thanks for the BD wishes. It's nice having the family togeather for dinner tonight.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped raining but I think I got enough moisture to help the Chard seeds I planted yesterday germinate (fingers crossed).

Happy birthday, Sidney!

I like the hibiscus pictures. We have a hibiscus, but it's too far back in the jungle to get a picture of it. It's just the regular red Chinese hibiscus.

Tiger is a little more perky now. She's also gotten very picky. She won't eat the semi-generic fish food. All she'll eat is the imported koi food. Can you imagine that from a fish?

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 14, 2006
82 °F / 28 °C
Clear
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h from the ESE
Pressure: 29.93 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
UV: 11 out of 16

Second flush of blooms for the Texas rangers. The flowers come all of a sudden. It's like one day there's nothing and the next the bush is in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.