Tell us your way to root proliferations !

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Today I collected 15 proliferations from YELLOW EXPLOSION and 5 from CAROLINA SUN FUN.

Please tell us your most successful way to root proliferations at the end of the season ! Any photos to go along with your comments would be great ☺

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

The most sucessful way I have found is to root them while they are still on the scape,by air layering them as soon as they are found.
Charlie

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Got pictures?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I know in my other thread on prolifs we discussed this some, but I was hoping we would have more participation.

Anyone else with other methods that work for you?

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

What is air layering..

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

are these common on all daylilies at the end of the season....or are they not commmon...and does the end of the season have nothing to do with it...

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

I looked in Garden Terms for "Proliferations",
but there is nothing listed.

Please, what is that?? Thanks.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I've had luck keeping them on the scape for as long as there is any green at all on the scape. Usually there is one vertical line of green on an otherwise brown scape. If you see it, it means the scape is still nourishing the prolif. Once it goes all brown, you can cut the scape just above and below the prolif and put the roots, scape-piece and all, into some potting mix. I use light stuff that is good for germination, although I've also just stuck them into one of my well-amended beds at this point too and that has worked. The prolifs grow just like a tiny fan and develop into a normal plant.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Proliferations are tiny daylily plants that sometimes form on the scapes. I just break them off of the scape after they are a good size and root them in water. Or I have just planted them in the ground with no roots at all and had them grow. Either way works.

Air layering is the process of wrapping something damp, usually sphagnum moss, around the base of the prolif where the roots would grow. The dampness encourages the prolif to root.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Mahnot, I will repeat the picture I posted on my other thread. I think these are my proliferations on MAD MAX this year. No, they are not only on the scape at the end of the season, they develop as the season goes along, but you don't want to cut them off until the scape turns brown as mentioned above.

Also, for some more info, and for a good picture of air layering, see my other daylily thread entitled"Great Proliferation" on July 15,2006, and also the one entitled"My proliferation bloomed!" on July 21 .

Thumbnail by corgimom
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Some daylilies tend to proliferate easily. My Pink Damask, Siloam baby Talk and Black Plush do it several times each year. I just cut them from the brown stalk & stick them in the ground. Just think of them as free new plants to trade!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Explain proliferation please.

A proliferation is a baby exact copy of the plant that starts on a blooming daylily scape. It looks like a leaf at first, and then grows into a plant complete with roots but still attached to the scape. I wait until the scape turns brown before I cut mine off. This is a TRUE baby culitvar and will bloom true to the mother plant, unlike seeds.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Wanda thank you for the straight simple answer.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Has anyone experienced prolifs that were not true to the mother plant? Just wondered because I have. I stopped planting them for that reason. I wonder if flowers that were fertilized on that particular scape can affect the colors of the prolif flower. Anyone know?

I have had 11 different cultivars of proliferations to date. Some stayed in my yard, some have moved on. The ones I had all bred true, but I don't fertilize as a rule.

Ripley, MS

I do mine just like Ivory said, I have not had very many this year and I think it is due to the dry and hot weather.
Sandra

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

What daylilies do you have that seem to proliferate on a consistant basis ( each year ) ?

YELLOW EXPLOSION is one for me

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

My "old faithfuls" that produce prolifs every year are So Lovely, Trahlyta, Orchid Corsage, Frans Hals, and Pink Lavender Appeal. I have had one or two prolifs in several years on Chosen Love, Indian Giver, Catherine Woodbery,and Smokey Mountain Autumn. I keep a running list of daylilies that produce prolifs and I've created a file that I update regularly when anyone mentions that they have a daylily that produces prolifs. If anyone wants a copy of it, D-mail me and I can send it to you.

I really enjoy rooting them and trading them. Several will fit in a small box that you can ship inexpensively using Priority Mail. I like to root them in water before sending them out to their new homes.

Linda

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Caldera has tons of prolif every year.

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Others that have prolifs on right now are:

Musical Mosaic
Bait and Switch
Forty-Second Street
My Melinda
Charles Pierce Memorial
Red Volunteer
pandora's Box
Cherry Cheeks

Add Black Plush, Siloam Baby Talk and Pink Damask to the others.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Hmm, I didn't see any on Black Plush or Red Volunteer ( I have about 100 fans of this one !) as i casually went by. Maybe I better check closer!

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Corgimom - Thank you for the information.

I'm learning so much here, and everyone is
so patient and generous with help. :o )

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Gosh - after years of working in daylilies, being in the local daylily club, and even giving daylily programs to the public, I still have SO MUCH to learn myself !!!! I find most folks don't mind sharing their info - in fact are eager to share. These Dave's Garden folks are the best ! I even forget from one year till the next what I learned and have to ask again. No, that isn't right . At my age, I forget faster than that, but anyway, some of these people have answered the same question from me more than once and have been very patient!

I've been known to forget the name of my own daughter! getting old is a problem, huh?

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

No, Wanda, getting old is not a problem. It's a blessing
to be able to forget stuff you don't want to remember.
It is an inconvenience, though.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Here is YELLOW EXPLOSION for any of you that might not be familiar with it. It is beautiful,thick substance, lots of blooms, cheap ( $5 or so) and has lots of proliferations each year !!!!!

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Here are my YELLOW EXPLOSION babies (in the biggest pot) and CAROLINA SUN FUN in the smaller one. Once they root I will move them from pots of vermiculite to pots of potting soil until the spring.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2006 7:51 AM

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Here is one cut from the scape. I leave about an inch of scape above and below the proliferation.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

If I am going to root them in water,however, I remove as much of the scape as I can before putting them in water.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

See a proliferation on this plant? Sometimes you have to look carefully to find the proliferations. That is why it helps to have lists (from other people) of daylilies that do this. You need to know so you can keep watch over them! Continue on to the next picture!!

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Pull back the foliage and you can see the proliferation ! The scape is completely brown. Soon, if not found, the prolif would die,too.

Thumbnail by corgimom
DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, corgimom - What makes you decide whether to put
them in water or in vermiculite? How do you make that
decision?
When you say "lots of proliferations," how many does that
mean? What is the usual and what is a lot?
Also, how long will it be until you see blooms from these?
Thanks.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I propagate them like Ivory said. Corgimom, you've done great work by starting this thread. The proliferations are gifts. I put mine in a combination of good quality potting soil mixed with vermiculite. I keep a bucket of this stuff soaking in warm water when I start propagating various plants. They seem to root easily. Hope your pets and you are doing well with hydrangeas.:))

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks for this thread. I want to try and root some of the proliferations. Will check my daylilies and see if I have any.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I know I have a few on Priscilla's Dream this year. I had several on other plants last year.....I know for sure I had a few on Wildest Dreams.....I didn't write the others down though, so I don't know what the names were.

Seems like we had a thread like this last year that had several names of DLs that proliferate often......I'll see if I can dig it up.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks for any research you can come up with !

Mahnot - I don't have any certain reason for putting some in water and some in pots. I just wanted to show that you can do it either way! Some people have more luck with one way than the other and some people have never tried more than one way.

When putting them in the vermiculite mine have immediately started turning yellow. Any suggestions anyone? Most years I go ahead and stick them in a potting soil to begin with, but I thought maybe roots would develop faster with the vermiculite. On the other hand, I have had some turn to mush while trying to root them in water.

Well, for the other question. Obviously I am not an expert here, but by "a lot of" I mean I got a pot full of them from one plant. Of course my plants are very large in most cases - maybe 15 fans. Not every scape will have one on it. Then I have had as many as four or more on some scapes.

I usually find them this time of year ( I am talking about finding the ones that are not just standing out above the foilage that are easy to see) when I start pulling out dead scapes from plants or I am cutting back foliage from plants that have ugly foliage, or maybe just weeding around the plants. You have to be up in the plants sometimes to see them as I tried to show in my photos above. I hope I have made some sense.

Libby

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We have tons of them on Little Wine Cup but now you folks have me curious about others listed that I've never had a proliferation on before - like Pandora's Box.

Unique Purple is another one that gives me about a dozen a year but maybe that's to make up for it's oh so slow growth.

I cut off the proliferations and stick them in the ground, right next to the mother plant. Mine have been 100% true to the mother plant.

Last year we traded prolif's so if anyone's interested we could start one for late September (cooler weather) delivery. Let me know.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

pirl, got a picture of Unique Purple?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.