Fiddle Leaf Fig

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know what these plants like? I bought one at HomeDepot because I loved the look of the leaves. How big of a pot will they eventually need? Also, how cold can they get in the winter (I have an unheated room I was thinking of keeping it in).

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Have one of these years ago.
Had to get rid of it because it just got too big.
It gets very, very wide!
If my memory serves me right, it was in a 12" pot when I gave it away and about 3' wide!
I kept mines in a heated room, would not recommend an unheated room for this plant. See link below.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55346/index.html

larry

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Like most tropical figs, F. lyrata will not tolerate temperatures below 55* for extended periods without significant decline in vitality and energy reserves. The cool temps affect the trees ability to carry on photosynthesis. After returning the tree to its favored temperature range (from about 75 - 88* F.) after even brief exposure to these chilling temperatures, it may take several days or even weeks for the trees ability to make food (photosynthesis) to return to normal.

They "like" a fast draining soil, being allowed to dry down between waterings, very bright light, moderate amounts of fertilizer (soluble tomato fertilizer is very good), and temperatures in the range noted above.

With some knowledge of root-pruning and attention to pruning of the canopy, the trees can be kept in manageable (sized) containers for years & years.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.