I have a system, permanently installed in the ground
(108 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Other?
(62 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This thread has been an education for me. I grew up in Pennsylvania and we very rarely ever had to water anything. It turns out that that was one of the rainiest periods in recorded PA history, though didn't know it at the time and thought it was typical. However, old impressions die hard, and I still have a tendency to think that no one east of New Mexico has to water.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I do a combination of Rain, Hose and watering can

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

If it wasn't automatic it would probably be a shriveled up stick! :)

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

I voted Only When it rains, since for the most part that is true.... the only exception is newly planted plants, and they only get water when they show signs of stress and/or the soil gets dry. For that, I use a 5-gallon bucket, since the hose don't reach any further than the edge of the woods where I have most of my plants at....

Most of the time, I avoid having to worry about watering because I know pretty much what the average soil moisture at the various places in the woods is, and plant plants that will do well with that kind of moisture there.

West Richland, WA(Zone 7a)

I live in the part of Washington State that doesn't see a lot of rain; maybe 7" a year, seriously. Most people around here have underground sprinkler systems we set up and let go. Most of the yard is watered this way and it's great. We have a large yard (by city standards) and it would be a pain to move sprinklers around. My husband hooked my veggie garden into this system and it is fantastic. I do have plants in pots in various places in the front and back yard where the irrigation doesn't hit so I water by hose or by can. Right now it is mostly by can as our hose has a huge hole in it and sprays water 20' in the air!
It has been so darn hot around here (100 degree +) that everything is parched and the grass is looking sorry. My husband hates having brown spots in the grass so we've changed watering tactics and moved to the less often by for much longer method. I'll keep my fingers crossed (and owe the city a small fortune for all the water!!).
-Stacey

Florence, SC(Zone 8b)

I have tried and still use them all, but , as a new Master Gardener, the only way to go is drip irrigation. You do not want the plants to get wet. This is essentail in the South(SC) where I live(kept prisoner). I am a tranferee from Mass. and find that there are a lot more fungi and diseases here than in Mass.. Moisture, humidity and temperature play a big role in the development and survival of plants.

Do not use overhead irrigation in the home owner garden.

I will soon have an intermittent mist type irrigation system to allow me to root and grow cuttings as well as water my annual veggies.

Keep the leaves dry and you will have better plants.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

One thing I do like about watering - is on the hot days when I have the sprinkler going it really brings in a lot of birds to watch.

North Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I have a timed microsprinkler system. I use it when it does not rain (January through June) or when I am travelling.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

i drag around the hose and set up different sprinklers or stand and water. also use the watering can. i also have a couple of rain barrels, but no rain.
i keep waiting to see birds fly through the sprinklers but so far no luck! i am seeing them use the birdbaths alot more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.