Midwest Lilies 4

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I have no idea who this guy is either, got him from Gurney's a long long long time ago. For some reason the name Black Dragon sticks in my memory, but again, I have no idea if that is it's name or not.

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is his back-side. :)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

And this is just a shot of where some of my lilies are planted...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

And this is another bed where the lilies are planted, but sadly the Asiatics time is waning and Orientals and daylilies are coming on stronger.

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How lovely!

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Ticker Oh so nice.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you. :) I should have waited till I mowed the lawn, cause it looks a lot neater now. :) I kinda cheat, cause I never show you the messes that I'm dealing with... Like trying to kill out bindweed in one bed and trying to dig the grass out of a poppy bed... Tomorrow night it's back to weeding. :) Here is one of my messes, but it's getting brought under control, or that is what I keep telling myself. :)

Diann

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What messy parts? I have such a lovely view from the patio...as long as I don't look AT the patio. That's where I have all my gardening junk.

Here's Purple Sensation looking a little spotty.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I bought 3 Purple Sensations last year. One did not grow and then I moved the other 2 and one died. The last living one does have buds, but no blooms yet. Yours is beauty Moby, but sure not the purple the catalog showed is it?

susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Noooo ~ a very hot pink, at best.

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

I would very much like to get away from the hustle and bustle and noise of the city. I am a quiet country man stuck in the city... At least my DW doesn't mind I spend on gardening :*)
Ticker do you have any neighbors? That one shot with the cornfield looks like they are far away :*)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

First bloom for what I hope is Leslie Woodriff. Looks less red than the photos.. Does this one rebloom like it is suppose to for anyone?

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one I have labeled American Style, but it is not as red as the photo of it looks in the catalog either.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Intercessor, yes we do have neighbors, but not close neighbors. I think the closest neighbor we have is across the road from us, probably a good 500 feet from my front door. We have 10 acres and were pretty much smack dab in the middle of it. East and North butt up against farm fields, South bordered by the Lincoln Highway (aka old Hwy 30) and to the West of us the little town of Lisbon.. The West pasture gives us really nice buffer from the town.

Tonight I'll be back in the weed patch getting it dug out as much as possible and then I'll spray it with grass killer...

Lincolnites, nice lily. Where do you get most of your lilies?

Diann

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Those two lilies could almost be identical except for the curves of the petals of American Style. Leslie's red doesn't reach quite as far up on the petal either, she doesn't have as much speckling... When you really look at them you can see the differences. They are very close... Still, they are both very nice lilies. :)

Diann

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Think I'll rip out my hollyhocks and go with all lilies.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Most of my lilies have come form catalogs or online. B&D, The Lily Nook, The Lily Garden, Jung, VanBourgondien, Buggycrazy and Wayside Garden are all places I have ordered from. B&D is probably my favorite. I think I have received the wrong bulbs from all the other places at one time or another. I thought it was funny that the 2 that bloomed today looked so much alike.

susan

Most of my lily

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 11:45 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Ticker, your gardens are beautiful, and I appreciate the garden photos showing how you have incorporated the lilies into your full perennial beds. I am always looking for more inspirations to have even more lilies. I need to go no further than this forum to get myself into trouble.....LOL

I have some lilies in my large front garden, and have a few old bulbs, including Black Dragon. Our lilies are quite similar but I'm unsure if we have the same lily or not. Perhaps the different climate (or this year's weather patterns) have created the difference?? Maybe we can let others be our judges here.

Here is my old Black Dragon lily. One year it grew over 7-feet high! Thankfully, it is only a 5-footer now.....:-)

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt

This is a close up

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt

Menkids, your large grouping of Asiatics is gorgeous!! Do you know the name of the rusty-red lily that is in the front center of your photo?

Beaker, that Dotcom is very striking. Now I wish that I bought it when I placed my fall order.....Well, I still don't have Coral Sunset, so maybe I had just better scurry off to another grower and put Order #3 in....

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I may be totally off here, but your lily looks like 'Silk Road' or 'Northern Carillion'. There might be some other suggestions out there so don't take my word for it.

Ruh roh!!

I do have Silk Road (and a few others) and it's not far from that Lily.....Hmmm....now comes the dilemma....get more coffee to activate brain cells, or rush out the front door to see whazzup.....

(Back in a bit!)

You're correct. That Lily is Silk Road. The label was right there at the base...but did I look at it? Nooooo.....

Okay, going to the time-out chair now. :-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a better photos of Leslie Woodriff.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This Godzilla bulb was one from buggycrazy I got last fall and it was huge. Strangely, the stem this year is not very large. Maybe it needs a year to get settled.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

lincolnitess - now that's a beauty!!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Here is one of the last of American Heritage.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And another Orienpet, Gorgette.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

lincolnitess, wow, Leslie Woodriff really puts on a show! I also like American Heritage and Georgette! or is it Gorgette? Anyway, they all are wonderful!

Lynne, Thank you very much for you kind comments. However, saying that I "incorporated" lilies into my perennial beds makes me laff. :) I never purposely do anything and have it turn out right. :) Most likely, my eyes get bigger than the garden spots I have and I order a bunch of stuff and then can't figure out where they should go and so I start just dropping them in where ever their is room... (Panic usually sets in about then.) Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it's just fine. ;) I always think that I'm going to have these mono-color drifts of blooms, it never works out that way... I guess I'm just to scattered to be really disciplined in planting. Heck, I'm to scattered to be disciplined in anything. :)

TwinLakes, good luck getting rid of hollyhocks... :) I ripped out a bed 10 years ago and I still get seedlings popping up all the time. :) I moved mine down to the end of the lane. But don't let that stop you from getting addicted to lilies. :)

Diann

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ticker,
Did you have a sister who was given away at birth? It's me.
Quote:
"Most likely, my eyes get bigger than the garden spots I have and I order a bunch of stuff and then can't figure out where they should go and so I start just dropping them in where ever their is room... (Panic usually sets in about then.)"
"I always think that I'm going to have these mono-color drifts of blooms, it never works out that way... I guess I'm just to scattered to be really disciplined in planting. Heck, I'm to scattered to be disciplined in anything"
It felt like you pulled the words right out of my head, it was so me....it scared me!!!
You obviously collect lilies, beautiful ones at that. Do you collect daylilies too? Or iris's?
Got brown hair and blue eyes? LOL

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I must be the long lost brother. I just can't stop buying lily bulbs. I have no room for them and I as well just dig a hole in with something else and plant it. I got my B&D catalog and I have done some damage.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think we must be triplets. Sounds just like me too and I have brown hair, blue eyes and collect Iris and daylilies too. Every fall I panic when the boxes of bulbs start coming and I'm thinking where in the world am I going to plant thiis? Last fall I ended up planting Scheherazade next to some purple Jackmanii Clemetis because that was the only spot left. They may make strange bed fellows.

susan

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

lincolnitess ~ I know what you mean on the bulbs in fall, but i also do it w/the daylilies in the spring!! I had 35 different ones come in and some were multiple fans. Wheeling-and-dealing got me a 100 "Purple Pawprints" on top of that!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have so many daylilies coming this fall that I'm moving some of my older ones to my neighbors yard. LOL, I just can't seem to stop. Here is Lilium henryii's first bloom of the year. I broke it off trying to get a photo, so it's in a vase now.

susan

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I bet you have happy neighbors!!!!! Sorry it broke, but on the "upside", in a vase you can enjoy it even if the *%#&*&% rain starts again.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Rain?? We wish! Haven't had more than a sprinkle for a month.

Here's Honeymoon

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Things are really getting crispy around here. Here is FFO on Schcherazade. Not very tall this first year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is Royal Perfume with American Dream in the background.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think this is Golden Stargazer. Not positive.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

White Henryii with daylilies in the background.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.