I've DISCOVERED the SECRET!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, I've got a few clems... what I don't have are enough trellises! I actually found myself wishing for an ugly chain link fence that "needed" covering. LOL. Mine are scrambling around at the back of one bed, because they can't climb my neighbor's fence without help (unlike my MGs, which fortunately the neighbor loves)... I meant to put up some plastic fence-like netting back there for them to climb, but didn't get to it before our spring vacation, and by the time we got back it was a jungle back there! LOL

I did get a some small metal trellises for the clems (Father Stefen varieties) in the narrow bed at the side of the house, but they will surely outgrow them next year. Those were a temporary measure, as I want to put in some big lattice panels there... another project! It also looks as though the big purple clematis (sold as Jackmanii but looks a bit different) by the front door could use a larger trellis.

I'll have to cruise around this forum to see what other folks are doing for trellises... I do know that the American clem society says all you need are a few strands of monofilament (fishing line) for them to climb, so maybe all I need in some places is a post or even a shepherd's hook that I can stake some lines to.

I see I'm among friends here! I'd promise to hang out more often in this forum, but I expect my "hanging out" time may become rather limited in the coming months... LOL

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

"time may become rather limited in the coming months......" When will your new bundle be delivered?

Not a problem come anything you can.

Are your clems next to trees as CG uses them as support for hers.

Janet

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have one clematis (a native with small white blooms, C. virginia-something LOL) that's growing up into the branches of an ornamental pear in front of the house. Most of our trees are in the little fence row along the back of the property, and I'm still battling poison ivy there, so a little clematis would probably get nuked by mistake.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, and the "bundle" is due in a little less than a month, so could arrive at any time now! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.