I've DISCOVERED the SECRET!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AND----It will tell you in the directions to soak the stone for an hour (?) before you use it. It has to be totally saturated. maybe that alone will keep it from floating up.
Or--get a pretty river stone and put it on top...

Gita

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hmmmm, mine didn't say that, but it's working fine.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is my set up:

Thumbnail by jlp222
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

the whole "shabang"

Thumbnail by jlp222
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

JLP: What is your box of lights on the right??? Are you using that in lieu of a heat mat?

And please let us know your results!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2008 6:27 AM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes, that is how I bottom heat my seedlings. I usually have more than one strand in a bigger container, but I only have 2-3 pots on it right now. It works like a charm!

Chillicothe, OH

This is a great thread! Just wanted to add some info for those trying this: in aquariium shops the thing you ask for that hooks up/divides your air pump into several different bubblers is called a 'gang valve'. It is a very cool little thingy: one place to feed the air in from the pump, and multiple places with tiny 'spigots' or faucet-like controls to connect tubes with air stones on end to create new bubblers. The little 'spigots' can be used to control the amount of air getting to each bubbler.

Also, pumps come in different sizes, so if you find you need more pressure for the number of cuttings you are attempting, you can get a bigger pump.

Also, the old style asthma pumps that used to be prescribed for home use for asthmatics are also giant air pumps, if you happen to have one, or find one at a garage sale you can use the same aquarium clear tubing and gang valves on.

Also, summer is an EXCELLENT time to look for failed aquarists at yard sales, people getting rid of aquariums with both pumps and heaters which might be used to warm the undersides of young cuttings. Might also have air stones and valves you can use.

Another bit of info that might be useful: either online or at a local pet store you might find a sonic/motion detector device that will screech at your cats if they become *too* interested in the set-up. One screech of one of those things--even if it happens to you accidentally while you're setting it up and the cat sees it (never underestimate those 'pea brains'. They're smarter than you think!) and the cats will quickly decide the game's not worth the candle and leave it all alone. Though I must say, the person who's posting pics of their cats by the bubbler, *THAT* cat looks like it just likes the sound of the bubbling. Maybe it thinks the plant is purring at him/her?

ZenPotter: my cat Bob travels with me too. I started him out when he was truly tiny travelling;he made his first trip when he was about 5 weeks old, went from SW Ohio to upstate NY in one 12-14 hour trip (depending on how many stops and how fast you drive). He learned early to cope with it and was a sterling traveller until I accidentally subjected him to a bad experience involving a too-long, tension-filled ride full of too many turns, a too-full bladder, full bowel, and full stomach. He's never quite got over that one.These days he's 100% cool with travelling on straight smooth superhighways, especially if he can get out of the carrier and sit on my lap, watching the cars and trucks go by, but the minute we turn off onto a curvy back road his anxiety makes him toss his MeowMix. Poor kid. He's totally at ease once we arrive too, it's only the curvy country roads that upset him. So moral of the story: start 'em travelling young, before they know any better, and make sure they never have a bad experience, and your cat can also be a travelling cat. Oh, and spritzing the inside of the carrier, car and new house with Feliway (a 'happy' cat hormone they spread around by cheek-rubbing things) also helps tremendously.

Enough! I too am off to bubble a few clematis.--Melis

This message was edited Jun 27, 2008 7:55 AM

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

JeanneTX,
Thanks for sharing you discovery!

Silver Lake, MN

Is any one doing this again, and if so any Luck?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeanne:

I'm so glad this thread came to the top. I'm about to get a lot of Clem cuttings and I will start them all this way. I have all the necessary supplies (old fish tank with pumps and tubes).

Do you still do this with your clem?

To bad Walmart wasn't giving you a kick back from all the folks who went out and purchased these pumps from them.....LOL

Janet

Delaware, OH

janet, i have heard that this is not a viable way to start a plant, it is growing in the water but then can not transfer to soil. of course, jeanne who discovered the secret can weigh in here, haven't heard from her on her success or seen pic of clems she started this way. would like to know more and also can ask questions when i am at linda beutlers pruning workshop on july 11th out in portland at brewster rogerson's garden.....can't wait to do that. we are leaving on the 10th and will be out in portand and whidbey island for 6 days.....will be visiting joy creek garden and a few other clem related things.....

jeanne can you update us about how your secret that you discovered is working as a method of propagating clems?

Delaware, OH

jeanne tx, as this is your "secret" as you posted in the topic and your thread can you weigh in here and close the loop on your results? there is much science that water roots do not plant out into dirt and survive. would be very interested in your results and closure on this topic so folks do not get confused and go in a direction not productive.
eagerly await your results, as this would be counter science and very interesting to folks....thanks in advance for weighing in and clarifyin for those interested now and in the future!

Delaware, OH

jeanne tx, wondering why we aren't hearing from you about the results of your secret method? some folks may be buying equipment or putting time into propagation by this method and seems like ti is only right to loop back and let us know how it went. there is much knowledge out there about water roots not resulting into a plant that can live in soil and grow, so please let us in on how this worked?

can you share a photo and any more details or let us know if the secret turned out to be not viable?

janet has brought this back up and i would hate to see her go in the wrong direction with her cuttings project, so don't understand why we cannot get some info from you since you started the thread and
"shared the secret".

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I just may be able to help here, having discovered almost by accident most plants will root quickly in well oxygenated water some years ago. Most of you mention the difficulties when transplanting into soil. I have found that
If I make a very wet solution of soil, wet enough to pour that is, then place the rooted cutting on a piece of kitchen towel
placed in the bottom of a 3" terracotta pot, then pour the liquid soil into the pot holding the cutting steady as I do it, then allowing the excess water to drain naturally, keeping the pot in the same environment until the cutting has rooted.
Hope this helps.

pajonica

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

pajonica:

That is very interesting to hear these results.

So did your plants that you did this way, how long ago with this and have they survived into adulthood so to speak? LOL

Do you have any pictures that you could share with us???

Janet

Delaware, OH

hope someone has photo results of this method and maybe a % survival on the transition from water to soil,

janet, my source tell some it is not possible to root and plant clems from the water method. partially due to the
unique root structure of a clem. but texensis is rarely rooted even from rooting medium methods, let alone water rooting.

pajonica, you mention "most plants" have you actually done this with clems and had a transition to a successful clematis plant?

would sure be interesting to have jeanne tx "weigh in" here and share the results of her experiments as her secret she posted was over a year ago.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I never tried clems as I don't grow them, but I will give it go and report back with my results.
May take a few weeks!

pajonica

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Pajonica:

I don't know if I would was some clem vines for this method.

I'm hoping that Jeanne is away on holiday since we haven't heard back from her on her results.

However, I've been looking around on the internet as I don't want to go through all the trouble of setting things up to only have failure. Most of the stuff didn't really talk about this being a method that will work.

So for now, I'm nixing this method to create more clems with, or at least I'm holding off till I see a posting from Jeanne with more results from her beginnings of this.

Janet

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I'm wondering if clems actually produce viable roots in water. perhaps the root that develops is not a true root at all, but some kind of stressed tendril?

Jon

Delaware, OH

pajonica, that would be great. it is not the water root development that i am curious about..it is the transition and to , and development of, soil roots as you transition...a water root can not utilize nutrients and live as a soil root is my understanding. there are some lists of plant groups that can transition and live and clematis or any related group is ot on the lists that i have seen from botanicallly credible sources.

unusual for daves to hav ea thread like this without closure and results or answers to questions posted.

so thanks for any info you can shed on the topic!

janet, perhaps good to wait on purchasing the supplies and starting this unless you know that there are clems living that started roots in this manner.....you are a good researcher, so you may uncover some facts and maybe jeanne tx will weigh in here, son;t think she has yet but it IS her thread..... and let us know what happened to those huge roots she had when she discovered the secret, as she posted with pics.

Delaware, OH

pajonical, that matches the info i got verbally from a clem xpert more than the raves without closure on this thread does.
interesting and hopefully jeanne tx will weigh in as this is her thread and she can clarify what her results were after the discovery in 06.
the thread keeps enticing folks to a new method of propagation, so perhaps closure from her will be forthcoming, she is probably away for the holiday and not posting as frequently as she normally does..

Delaware, OH

janet,haven't been able to find out anything good about water roots transitioning to soil roots for clems. saw jeanne in garden buddies today posted something so hopefully she can clarify this thread of hers here on dg forum about how it worked and close the loop for those of you considering the method and buying equipment etc.

jeanne tx, can you weigh in so we can stop researching, your answer should be definiitive for us as you started this a couple of years ago and probably have blooming plants by now if indeed you have discovered a method of transitioning water roots to soil that works.

always ready to throw out the science when it comes to gardening when someone who has done is and is credible can show us the results!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes CG I'm patiently waiting to hear back from her as to her results.

Jeanne, please reply even if you did find this not to be viable, please just say so. Then I can quit hoping.

thanks

Janet

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Is it my imagination but has this thread becoming/ seems to be becoming borderline harrassement.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry..been very busy with company..Yes, I did use this method and YES I got several of my clematis to root this way and either planted them in one gallons and grew them out or traded them for other plants...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

jeanne thanks for getting back on the thread about the secret propagation method. not sure how successful you would rate it based your response, or what types of clems you were successful with. folks going out to buy equipment and take up something that science says is not possible (water roots not capable of soil viability)......guess folks will have to sort out the chances for themselves.
thanks for hopping back on with this info.........

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The only types of Clematis I used with this method were type 2's and 3's..This is TOTALLY different than trying to root anything in just water as the bubble keeps oxygenating the water..lessening the chances of "foul water" forming ..I don't see why Science says it's impossible to root clematis in water?..People have done it very successfully altho the success rate isn't anywhere near what you get with layering..this method is more successful than just putting clematis in a glass of water..I have rooted MANY different types of plants with this method......lots of woody plants..Hibiscus for instance..so if you are into rooting plants the small amount of money spent is well worth it..It only cost me less than 20 bucks total...Jeanne
ps..Hope I've answered all your questions?..

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

Great Idea! This should work with my half barrel pump. I am growing water lillies and they are rooting beautifully. I will try it in a net sock and let you know how it works. Thanks

Delaware, OH

jeane, i think the question is not whether you an grow water roots, which obviously you can, but that water roots are not roots that are viable in soil and so transitioning to soil and creating a plant is the question /issue.
clematis is not listed as a plant that can be created by water rooting on any horticlutural propagation guidleline.
so this is indeed interesting. are there any special tips you can give folks who are planning to try this as to how you transistion them, how large you let them get in the water before doing this etc. i personally do not plan to do this myself due to time and no interest in having plants i already have for the most part. but i have opened up my garden to some ohio gardeners who plan to come over and take vines for cuttings mid july. i gladly offered this some time ago, and those folks are wondering how to best start the cuttings. this is how i got into the thread coming back up and as i explored the thread vs the propagation info about water roots vs soil roots seemed counter to what i was reading and learning.
i will continue to educate myself on the difference in the roots, so next time someone asks me about it i am a little more clear on the opportunities for this.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeanne:

Hope your 4th of July holiday was a good one? Thanks for getting back with some answers. This is so interesting in the way of another possible method to "clone" so to speak Clematis.

I'm rather impatient when it comes to rooting new plants, I just can't seem to leave them alone, always want to go pull them out to see how many roots are there....LOL

Anyway, so how did you leave them in the water before you planted them in soil or maybe a better question is how big of a root system did they have before transplanting them in soil?

Well lunch as run out got to go, I'll check in later to see if you have been back on.

PS I sure wasn't trying to keep bothering you I'm just very interested in this method.

Janet

edited to correct spelling....

This message was edited Jul 7, 2009 7:34 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

As you can see in the first pic..I had those roots at 6 days and left them in the bubbler for two weeks and had Loooooooongggg roots and potted them up in 1/2 gallon pots and sunk the pots in my garden over winter and pulled them back up around mid Feb and planted them into my gardens..they have done very well..the roots really did awesome over the winter..Janet..asking me questions hon is never a "bother" I truly enjoy conversing on my favourite subject and wish well those that do try this method..Jeanne

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bubbler/water propagation like this has been discussed on other DG threads and seems to be a very successful method in general, even with plants that are generally difficult to propagate or not normally thought to form viable roots in water.

Guru, if you're not sure this is a method you want to recommend, just give it a try. The equipment is not much of an "investment," and if you don't have as much success as Jeanne did with clematis, it will likely work out for you with other plants.

I've got a couple of air pumps and suitable containers (I'm thinking plastic shoeboxes from the dollar store would work great), and I keep meaning to give this a try..

Delaware, OH

good info critterologist. i am not into propagating. very rarely do some cuttings, but i don't want more of what i have. my info from clem experts about water rooting is discouraging. and info is sparse, not knowing which varieties jeanee and the others have had success with and what the detailed trainsition instructions and curve are. not my cup of tea. but interesting topic to me.
i also rarely propage from seed. did just put some radar love seeds out based on sharkeys result and the fact one of my golden tiaras died this winter. also have some seeds form Rolie oversees of a dfferent white flowered species that i have germinated some of just recently. course those will be at least a year , probably another 16 months before any real results as to seeing a bloom.....my interest in propagation is low ad far as doing ti and higher as far as understanding the science of it.

not many who originally did this have reported any results back on the thread, so you doing it would be great and letting us know....which ones in particular with photos along the way....what kind of critters are you into?
my critter is a long hired chihuahua!!!!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've tried a few clematis seeds also, and I've had some limited success winter sowing them (no success otherwise, and I'm thinking seeds might have to be really fresh or maybe it's just hard to collect viable ones).

I've got a degree or two in biology, and I love all sorts of critters! We currently have just one cat and a few fish, but there's a lot of "wildlife" in our yard, LOL. And we'll hopefully soon have a very special little critter of our own (planning to adopt). :-)

(I don't mean to take this thread off-topic... there's a thread about our hoped-for new arrival here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010764/)

Delaware, OH

thanks for sharing. on the clem forum we frequently go off topic and everyone is kind of loose about it.
compared to other forums where that is a no no. we are one big happy family......

Appleton, WI

Critterologist - From an adoptee to potential adoptive parents, I wish that everything goes smoothly and you'll soon have your little one. Keeping fingers crossed for everyone involved!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Critter,
I called you my "pepper expert" last year as I was first learning to plant pepper seeds indoors and you helped me SO much. Tried it again this yr with success as well. I still plant the Gypsy, Carmen and BB Jalapenos you introduced me to.
I spend most of my time here on the clem forum now and Guru is right. It is the friendliest place I've been so far on DG. We are one big, happy clem family, at least in my opinion.
I wish you well with your adoption plans.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Some points on oxygenating water. Oxygen is absorbed by the surface area of the water, bubblers increase the oxygen content mostly by creating ripples on the surface of the water, thus increasing the surface area. In nature this done by the wind and rain. More oxygen is added by aquatic plants. A fine stone bubbler looks great in an aquarium but for this purpose is a waste of hard earned money.

pajonica

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Critter:

Good to see you here on this forum.... And I too want to add my well wishes for a speedy and successful adoption. How exciting it must be for ya. Motherhood of a two legged is a wonderful thing.

I'm sure you do, but I'll ask anyway, do you have clems? If you don't and you hang around us long enough you will.....teee heee

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.