I've DISCOVERED the SECRET!!

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

My wally world was out of bubblers too...but I got mine today at a rummage sale. Mine was $5.00 for the pump, hose and stones. (they also made me take the 10gal. tank) now I get to try it too! Wish me luck.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

This sounds very interesting. I've been trying to root stuff with Gel2Root (gel with rooting hormone), but even when put in a baggie, it seems to be too dry here (humidity in the single digits, temps in the tripple digits, although we keep it a tad cooler in side. Seems like this could solve the humidy issue, too, as I imagin all those bubbles breaking at the surface should send some water vapor into the air. Wally World is 50+ miles from me, so I'll have to wait until the next time I'm in the neighborhood, but I have some jasmine cuttings I'd like to try. Please keep updating, everyone, as I, too, am a lurker interested in your adventures!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I finally got mine started yesterday. I've got Will Goodwin goin and I think I'm gonna try a Hydrangea 'Little Honey'. I just noticed my dog broke off a stem.

Debbie

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

kmom, you can get all that you need at any store near you that sells fish supplies. Most pet stores like PetCo or PetSmart will have all the parts. It might cost a little more than at WalMart but it will save you the 100+ mile round trip.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Update:

I too purchased around June 30, all cuttings are still very healthy and alive and so far (1) Passiflora incarnata has two extremely long roots - the rest, nothing - but still healthy!

Of course upon JamesCO's idea of throwing some willown in there, the willow is getting a lot of roots and I just threw that in a week ago.

All clematis - "healthy" - two are looking like they are just beginning to form roots. I took for trial, hardwood cuttings, softwood cuttings, and semi-hardwood. The two starting to "fuzz up" and show growth are both hardwood. Funny thing is, clematis are commercially propagated this time of the year from semi-hardwood from what I've read. They also say to never use the very tops of vines (the very soft newest growth) FYI..

We'll see what happens. Also, mine are in an east facing window and get sun till at least noon. I also bought (5) more pieces of tube and those rock things - air rocks - whatever they are. Just haven't hooked them up yet. Better do that.

Anyone else???

Dax

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Kewl..sounds like you have got it going on..TO be more scientific..I took two cuttings of my Jackmanii...one hard wood and one from the top of the vine (Semi-hard)..dated and labled and waiting for results to share, since I had always heard Hardwood is the best...keep on keeping one..awesome..Jeanne

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I've taken cuttings from an Allamanda and Honeysuckle vine, and Rose of Sharon, and of course a Brug.........

The Brug cutting has rootings just after 5 days in the bubbler, and the Rose of Sharon and Honeysuckle are not only rooting but have bloomed while in the bubbler.

The Allamanda seems a bit slower in rooting, but it looks healthy...may make a slit in some of the nodes to get in going a bit faster.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

So kewl Graykay...glad it is working for you!!..Got any special tips you are using that you wanna share?..Jeanne

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Besides a small slit in one or two nodes, I do make sure the cutting is at an angle.....

Funny as it may seem, since I started this bubbling, I do not even change the water, I just add to it. I've been using a bubbling system for more than a year now, and recently bought a second one to place in a more remote area.

I'm using rather large buckets, and when I have a smaller cutting, I place a smaller plastic pot(s) that have drainege into the larger bucket, and insert the stone(s) in those smaller pots.

If the pots 'drift', then a small rock or marbles should do the trick of holding it down.

Later, when I have more time, I'll post a pic!

Have to get to the gym!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"I do not even change the water, I just add to it."
I do the same thing...I check daily and keep a glass of water on the potting bench and when I see it going down some..I just add more water...I just ordered some stuff that this woman swears by that she sprays on Clematis and makes them awesome and says you can add a few drops to water and really hastens the rooting time!!..Will let you know if it works....Jeanne

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeanne,

Please do........very interested in knowing those results.

Oooooh no, another product!!! Probably one I MUST have, too!

Lindenhurst, NY

Hi jeanne. It's Maureen from gardenweb :-) How re you?

I was just wondering how everyone's experience went with the bubbler. anyone get a clematis to root?

I haven't gotten the bubbler yet....

I'm just trying in a cup of water.

I will keep trying because during my lifetime I WILL get a clematis to root in water ;-)

Maureen

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jeanne anything on the clematis yet?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Has anyone ever tried air layering clematis? I have great luck with that technique on all plants that grow in my neck of the woods. Most of the plants I propagate are tropical, but I would guess that if you tried an air layer in early summer it would work.

this is not my house!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lindenhurst, NY

Dale, how does someone air layer a plant?? I'm not sure what that is.

Maureen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's one recent thread over in the propagation forum, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/633564/

Layering the standard way involves bending a portion of the stem down to the ground or into a pot of soil and keeping it covered and moist until roots form... Air layering is similar, I think, except that you don't bend the stem down... You wrap a portion of stem with moist spaghnum moss or something similar, then seal in the moisture with plastic wrap or some other method... I haven't tried this, so can't really give details, but search in the propagation forum and you should find more info.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Maureen -
I've had success air layering numerous types of plants.
I think the KEY to, and level of success,... is relative to the particular plant's natural inclination to "set roots" (with or without a "wound") once a portion of the plant (for example: stem tip) is in contact with a "soil".

Some plants can easily propagate themselves or "spread" when they naturally grow in such a manner
that a branch comes in contact with the ground. At that point of contact,....after a period of time,....roots will grow and a "new" genetically identical plant will grow....
still attached to the parent...like an umbilical cord.
A nautural "layer" such as this,....after some "period of time" (and that varies)...will have an amount of roots below that point of contact,... that is proportional to the growth above....enough so,..that you can sever the connection (remember the umbilical cord?) to the parent plant and transplant the new plant! Some examples of plants that can easily do this : Oleanders, English Dogwood, some Azaleas, Walking Iris has a modified "stem" that does this,...blackberries, strawberries do this...there is a long list of plants that do this naturally.
It's these kinds of plants that are relatively easy to "layer" simply by (as Critterologist stated) bending a stem or branch that's close enough to the ground... (so the branch/stem won't break),...and using some method to keep the branch/stem in contact with the soil,
whether that be an anchor pin/clip or simply using a brick
or stone large enough to do that. You just take advantage of that plants "inclination" to readily propagate itself.
Now,....some plants aren't as inclined as the type described above....they need to be "prompted" to create roots....thus the "wounding" of the stem comes into the picture. The wound can vary from a slicing cut that only partially penetrates into the stem....to a careful "girdling" of the outer layer of bark....(a process that is used in some air layers). The wound area is then covered or encapsulated in soil.There are other techniques that help prompt the plant to develop roots in this manner,...use of rooting hormone powder or solution

An "air layer" is simply a modification of the layering technique but you bring the soil TO the branch/stem...
after the necessary preparations...(some described above),...encapsulating/containing the soil in a bag, or other device (be sure to look at the link Critterologist provided) that will hold the soil around the stem and everything is usually "suspended" some height above ground - in the "air".

I'd advise researching the current and classic DG forums or your library sources on techniques of propagation of plants,...particularly "layering". You can ask questions in the Propagation forum but there's so much to learn about the whys and hows and whens...your responses will likely be limited.

There are also numerous books or internet sites available with more particular information...some even advise on individual plant characteristics....their level of "ease to layer"
Hope this helps!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Just drop in!
Anyone have picture's of there result's with the bubbbling water system?
This is so cool!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The original topic was vines.

Almost all the vines I have ever grown will root when they come into contact with damp soil. I think it is part of their 'nature'. When they lack support they grow across the ground until the find something to grow up. After they start growing up a support the always root at the nodes downstem from where the vine leaves the ground.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2006 6:03 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

After reading this thread I think I will take my daughter's old aquarium off her hands...it has a water pump etc. and root some things....see what happens...sound like a plan don't cha think! I only have two clematis, but I will have to think of some other things to try...maybe some of my lantana and other sub-shrubs...how about hydrangea...wonder if that would work in water like this...have to think about what I can try...thanks for such and interesting thread. Hope they are all growing by leaps and bounds!
Janet

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Would love for an update on those cutting!
I'm going to give this a try also!

Donna

Lindenhurst, NY

Critterologist, thanks for the info on the air layering. Hi Jeanne :-)
Maureen

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

Any new success stories with the bubbler system?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

JeanneTX: I'm wondering how the cuttings did once you took them out of the bubbler and planted them in soil. Did they handle the transition ok?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy...Once they are rooted ..potting them up in a smaller than one-gallon is important and keep pinching off the new growth to keeping it at 2 sets of leaves is vital in its focusing on getting it's roots established even more...I dig a hole in my retaining garden and drop the pots in and pull the soil back around the pots and keep moist and pinched...Hope this helps...Jeanne

Greensboro, AL

'retaining garden' ? That sounds like a great idea.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! How long do you keep it at just 2 sets of leaves? That sounds a bit draconian!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Draconian?..MMM....kinky!!..LOL...well just keep pinching so it doesn't get too tall...do this until about fall...pull the pot out of the soil and see if the roots are starting to grow out of the pot and if so plant into your garden...planting clematis in Fall is awesome for warmer zones as we have long cool moist falls and winters...where as up North..Spring seems best from what I've learned from others because they have a longer cooler Spring than us...Jeanne

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok. Remains to be seen if I'll even get roots, so these questions may be academic! But thanks!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

This post could not have come at a better time. I "re-trellised" my Niobe today and broke off about 2 feet of vine. I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, okay, you sucked me in on this one. I am so easy. I can hardly contain myself till tomorrow. I have to go to Wally world to get my RX filled and what a perfect excuse to get a pump. So please tell me exactlly what I need to get started. Say, I start alot of cuttings in one large 1 gal jar. Hey, better yet. I could just buy a small aquarium and use it for all my cuttings. What a novel Idea.
Please tell me exactly what I need. I kinda need expilcite instructions as I seem to be lacking in some areas of my brain. I am more the Artsey Fa_ _tsy type. What is that? Right brained. Help.
Jan

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I went to Wal-Mart just now and got a pump and bubble stone thing. I am going to hook 'er up when I get home.

Has anyone had any new results?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm planning to give this a whirl in the next few weeks. I'll be very interested to hear what you discover.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

OK, It's going! Jeanne, did you leave yours on 24/7? I can't wait for my hubby to discover my little operation and think I am a total loon!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes..I left it on constantly and made sure the water level didn't go down..this is also awesome for rooting Brugmansias etc....Don't limit yourself....Goodluck...Jeanne

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I went to walmart to get my pump and bubblestone. Wouldn't you know, they were out of the bubble stones. I almost bought a small aquarium but decided against it. I will just wait and go back in a week or so to see if they have the bubble stone. Besides the pump and stone, what else do I need. Please I need detailed instructions. Help.
Thanks
Jan

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think you only need tubing to connect the pump and bubbler. And something to try to keep the bubbler from floating to the top of the water, if it starts doing that.

I you want to use more than one bubbler per pump, you need a "t-connector" which is just a splitter than divides the air coming out of the bubbler that is in a single tube, into two tubes. You can use additional T-connectors to keep splitting the air flow into additional tubes.

The photos about 1/4 of the way down this thread are helpful.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Got it, thanks happy_macomb. I'm really not stupid just a little thick headed sometimes. Must be the medication. I can leagaly blame the medication these days. Every 6 hours another pain pill. Oh well, keeps me up and at em.
Thanks again
Jan

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan: It is definitely a bit confusing -- no worries there!

Devon

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I haven't had a problem so far with the bubbler floating up. I think you could use a plain 'ole piece of tape on the hose at the rim of the glass to keep it in place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.