Easiest way to propagate junipers?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

No way! I plan to be here MUCH longer than you because I need to be checking on the growth of my trees for their first century or so. Besides, you're bound to kill yourself soon in one of those thousands of gardening mishaps that always seem to happen to you. (How's your hand these days? Huh?)

Hand is good! Butt not so good and arm and shoulder are a little sore! I got dragged down the driveway by the new puppy when he saw a wittle wabbit take off. That will teach me for walking that mutation that now weighs more than me without his training collar on. Can we say I thought he dislocated my shoulder before I wrenched around and ended up on my rump thumping on the asphalt a few times before coming to a stop?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

You need a saddle for that beast . . .

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Just figured I would let people know that the tour of Rich's farm was great. Rich made lunch for everybody and got to hang out with him for a while then go on another tour led by Chub Harper. It was a good learning experience, and my wife and I were grateful for the tour, the good conversation, food, and for them opening up their home to us (and the other people on the tour).

Dax, you must have enjoyed your time there as Rich always seems to be a very friendly and outgoing person every time I have met him. He apparently grew up a few blocks from my wife so they were very chummy; hanging out on the patio the entire time that I was on a 2nd tour. How she didn't swing some kind of a deal on that beech is beyond me.

Equil, didn't spend a penny. Just made a lot of mental notes on what to spend money on next spring. I am in complete control of my addiction.

Did you get any photos? They have some exquisite plants.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

No photos. I had the batteries charging, but forgot the camera. Still kicking myself. Bill needs more pines.

Bill

I hate that when I do that. It happens a lot to me.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil - funny about piling the soil on top of guy as you remove his estate.
You guys are seperated twins at birth I think..

Willis, Rich is exhuberent. He treats me like a son. I'll bring my camera as I need to visit this summer yet to say hello.

Don't forget about the Dax discount everyone. It's not real, but it's BIG! (a secret no one but me knows about...hint, hint.) And no I'm not a thief you bad, bad people!!!!!!!!!!!! Figure it out yet?..."treats me like a son"...

See ya (take care),

Dax

Oh, I'm not necessarily the brightest crayon in the box at times so D-Mail me with what the Dax discount is. I have to be honest with you, when I went back there to pick up more plants I did not ask for the Dax discount even though you had told anyone stopping in to ask for it. I thought it was a percentage off my bill and I didn't feel comfortable going there to buy plants and saying, "Gimme the Dax discount because I know this man in cyber space and he said to ask for it". I think maybe I should have asked for the Dax discount because I'm getting the impression it was a tour of his propagation area or something and that I would have liked to have seen.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I didn't buy anything, so I didn't ask either. I will be back in the fall at the latest to check out their fall colors and go to Andersen Gardens, so maybe I'll have to ask then. I didn't see there propagation area on the tour. Is that at the farm or the business location? I was planning on asking about you Dax, but there wasn't an opportune time.

It is a little early and I am a little slow for your riddles Dax, so you can Dmail me with the answer or give better hints. Is it a Dax topiary, maybe in mid-jump?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I made it up. No actually Rich has offered me 'free plants" when I come to visit. Hence, 'the' he "treats me like a son." Not to tricky, that is unless - the "he treats me like a son" doesn't ring bells with you guys - or the possibility of not a strong relationship of Mother-Son, Father-Daughter, Mother-Daughter, Father-Son in a family.

The propagation hoophouses are located at the farm not at the office/home where Rich works. My friend (internet friend) used to work for him as the Manager and if you guys go to the farm you can see the landscape he put together around the large pond, plus the fields of conifers galore. There's a big red barn there and another home/office where the secretary at least works and I don't know who else -:)

Great man, Great woman (his wife Susan), and another great lady - the mom of either Rich or Susan. She's the hosta lady there.

Well since I'm typing at the speed of minus mach ten, I won't bore you guys any longer.

They're just friends met through mutual acquaintences and conifer nuts like myself and happen to be in the same state I live in - just 'something' bound to happen I suppose and besides I've just been downright lucky ever since I met Francie - The daughter of the Bickelhaupt family now in charge of their arboretum in Clinton, Iowa. She said to me - 'I've never had a vistor to the arboretum she said to me in the middle of winter and with a foot or more of snow on the ground - "EVER" as I was signing the guest book and about to head to the conifers.' Next thing I knew she was telling me I had to meet Chub Harper and Randy Dykstra - and through Chub Harper, I was introduced to Rich and Susan.

Take care, and sorry about the "DAX" discount. As Equil says, I'm just some cyber guy rambling nonsense and that's true but not intended as misleading or (to confuse you fine folks).

Speak easy,

Dax

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Treats him just like a son, eh? The old Dax Discount, That might be a five finger discount (free if they don't see), or maybe you are asking for a spanking... If theres a blue and black stripped flag on the pole out front, you might want to skip it...

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Oopps, I guess the answer came while I was typing...

I really enjoyed myself when I was there. I particularly liked the pond area at the location where they sold plants. I didn't take a lot of photos because I was too busy looking at all the plants. How exhilarating! I met the "Hosta" lady. The whole family seems real nice. Now that I know what the Dax Discount is, I'll be sure to ask for it the next time I go. Better yet, let's all try to coordinate going there on the same day next spring so we can meet up and do lunch after we romp around ConiferLand. There is still a 'Fatigiata' I want and maybe it will be available next year.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

If we go Equil, I wanna eat at the burger place (they have a big menu so there would be something for you also). Their burgers are worth the trip. I say we wait until Dax is going. We can arm wrestle for who gets the Dax discount.

Ummm, as long as the menu has fish or poultry I'm ok. I'm not a McDonalds person and don't eat red meat all that much. Can we eat in the death row cell?

As far as arm wrestling. if we get tours of their propagation... fair warning! I will cheat while arm wrestling you to get a chance to see what they're doing over there.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

You guys are flawless...

Just like a bunch of VVVS1 diamonds with A color!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Patrick - you are one brilliant bubble. Good timing on my part...

Willis & Equil,

I think thumb wrestling or rock paper scissors is in order. We can eat fish and turkey, smoke, hit the bar, and then we can drop Patrick off with a shovel about 2 in the morning in front of the striped pole. OR, we can thumb wrestle,smoke,hit the bar, rock paper scissor, and turn ourselves in at the Woodstock police station with a carload of stolen street signs.

Camel lights are my preference - but generic Sonoma Full Flavor 100's might get you guys a "free plant" or two. Then we can hit the Chicago bars the following morning and pawn our cars to purchase "rocks".

I think I've summarized this correctly:) LLLLLLLAUGHoutLOUD!

Flawless...

Repeat after me, "Flawless" -

Dax - ('You're' gem in the dirt)

P.s. Where's starhill at times like this? I need a good whoopin, oops, I mean spanking by a tree-hugging, (loving), man who has hands large enough to grip a B-ball. OH MY GOSH!

Man have I lost it! Beware - I've stooped to my lowest point ever:) At least I know I'm cool though because I'm a Hawaiian Shirt Collector! Watch out WOODSTOCK! HERE we COME! I don't think my boy Richard Dawson could have said it any better. You just know he's an animal!

Um, the restaurant willis is referring to is operated out of the old jail.

Sonoma Full Flavor 100's eh? What happens if an open pack of those is waved under your nose... do you like spin around and do tricks?

I'll pass on the Chicago bars but you boys go on ahead and have fun. I'll think of you when I'm in my nice soft bed getting sleep. My bar hopping days are long over.

Say, what are your plans for those street signs? Something to make your new yard a little bit more festive? Will you string strands of red hot pepper lights or pink flamingo lights from sign to sign to create just the right mood so you can wear one of those loud Hawaiian shirts and sip adult beverages with little umbrellas in them. I gotta see this!

Road Trip! What fun this will be!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice job Equil -

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I guess I should have read past the midpoint of the second paragraph before entertaining an answer!

You guys are animals!

Peace, we love ya, see ya on the Feud! (Don't be silent now...)

Dax

When's the party at your new digs? I've got a loud Hawaiian sundress I could wear and I could bring along a few plastic pink flamingoes as a house warming gift and aw shucks... I'll even go buy those nice smelling cigarettes for you.

I think it would be a lot of fun to have a get together of Tree & Shrub Forum people. All joking aside, maybe some day we can plan something. Now, exactly how would we get resin over here?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Float'm over in a pine coffin.

I bet a bar crawl in Woodstock isn't much of a crawl. If we include Huntley we probably have enough bars to keep us busy. That Hawaiian shirt thing might get us in trouble; and Dax you go ahead and turn yourself in, I am on the lamb (maybe literally after a bar crawl).

"Float'm over in a pine coffin."- so I take it this party will take place sometime next year after he paddles his way across the ocean.

What does "on the lamb" mean?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It means on the run from the law. Apparently Dax has visions of turning himself in after stealing public property. The literally part we will leave up to the imagination.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Sweet.

Later.

---

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Guy, Now's your chance. After all, how long has been since someone called you Daddy? (besides that incident with T3 down by the stream)... Spank away with those big manly basketball grabin' hands, you ol' tree hugger, you! he, he, he.....
Is there such a thing as bar hoping in Woodstock?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Good golly, I left for a day and you children went nuts! I don't even know where to begin! But I suspect any beginning at all here will be a big mistake . . .

Willis, "On the lam" means running form the law. "On the lamb" means something very, very different that I would never ever admit to if I were you! I think it's against the law in just about every state.

Patrick, I don't know about bar HOPING in Woodstock, but I don't even want to go bar HOPPING in Woodstock, or anywhere else they allow smoking! (Regardless of the alleged supreme quality of those cancer sticks being recommended.)

Equil, a Hawaiian sundress is called a lava-lava, and you should be warned that they come undone quite easily, especially when you've been bar crawling! You're basically just wrapping your pretty little self in a table cloth and tucking in the top corners to hold everything together. (Edie was in the Peace Corps in the South Pacific for two years.)

Dax, you were right about at least one thing -- everyone on this thread is an animal! But when y'all do your bar crawl thing, I just might be visiting your plant collections with my shovel . . .

Guy S.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Baa....

I am half greek ya know.

Willis the Greek

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Strange but true... a progression of natural insanity.

I got the Mississippi Valley Blues Festival here in the Quad Cities, right on the Mississippi in Davenport, IA all weekend.

You all have a nice weekend. Thanks for going easy on me starhill.

Latro,

Dax

Just a little update, my Shantung Maple that I ordered from willis' Arbor Village is doing great. Eat your heart out Guy.

I received a wonderful CD in the mail and I'm afraid I am going to sink to an all time check book low in spring of '07 because here's my list of what I want so far and it seems to be growing-
Tsuga canadensis 'Fantana'
Picea abies 'Wingle's Weeper'
Taxodium distichum 'Pendens'
Cedrus deodara 'Feelin Blue'
Pinus sylvestris 'Globosa Viridis
I'm really liking those Pinus strobus 'Contorta'
Pinus sylvestris "Rockton"
Pinus resinosa 'Don Smith',
Pinus strobus "Green Twist"

I feel the need to buy more Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' but I still want that 'Fastigiata' I missed out on this past spring.

I think I am going to try different nurseries though. I'd like to try to purchase some of these plants from Stanley and Sons and Bethlehem Nursery. Not that I didn't love Rich's Foxwillow but I feel the need to expand my conifer circles.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry Equil - no Cedrus deodara, Cedrus libani, or Cedrus atlantica for our climate. The only true Cedrus you can grow is subspecies libani var. stenocoma.

The good news however is you can buy all that stuff above from say Stanley in a small but decent gallon size pot (with shipping for anywhere between 80-150 bucks.

And Bethlehem - Coenosium Gardens - have exoctically rare conifers on a much heavier basis than Stanley as being their norm. Plus Girard's, Gee's, Arrowhead, etc. all have good stuff.

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.