Easiest way to propagate junipers?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Jeeez, I'm always two posts behind -- you people are too active, with your fast connections and all that!
And no, you girls can take my word for it -- absolutely no need to confirm anything with the missus. No need at all.
Later --
Guy S.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
And no, you girls can take my word for it -- absolutely no need to confirm anything with the missus. No need at all.

Ya mean how she'd laugh incredulously and say yea right? Only in his dreams?? That confirmation??

Now Willy ole boy, we're talking about comforting here, nothing else. Don't believe your wife would have a problem with that now, do you? And shame on you, making a man bearing gifts wait outside!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Guy put comforting in quotes, so I just figured well you know. I posted over your earlier post where you set the ground rules for comforting. Don't worry da wife would give Dax plenty of good beer while he plants those conifers.

Yea, I know what ya figured! I'm going with words, not the well you know.....lol.....I get em every time......

Sheesh, Both me and my husband would give Dax cold beers in a frosty mug and I'd even hold an umbrella over his pretty little head and swab his forehead with a cold wet towel if he came over here and planted conifers for me. I'd even make a real meal for him as opposed to making restaurant reservations! This WAS the year of the Conifer and the Viburnum for me. Next year is probably going to be another year of the Conifer but I'm going to swap Hydrangea for the Viburnum.

But he lives closer to me, so in fairness, he comes here. I'll do the same thing, cold beer in a frosty mug, hold the umbrella, swab his forehead with a cold cloth, make him a good meal. He'll be plenty comforted when I'm done with him!

Hey! Those were my ideas and you're stealing them! No fair.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

And We used to call You two Ladies!

You wanna come over here and plant conifers for me? If so, you'll get the royal treatment too. My husband runs for cover lately when he hears the words, "Honey, I need another hole here". Matter of fact if somebody else dug holes and planted conifers for me, he'd probably fan them while they were working and would be dropping grapes in their mouth in between holding the frosty beer mug to their lips. Are we nurturing or what!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

WOMAN - GET me a Hamm's and a bucket to puke in and two twenty-five year old twins from Montana I can adopt. I'll change religions, join the PTA, The NRA, and the Oak Society, and of course, move to some desolate place in the Pacific Northwest where I can chain down my new two wives. And they must look like the Swiss-Miss-Gals.

Frolicking in the wildflowers we go - under the conifers - in our latex outfits.

Ok... me brain went dead when latex outfits came up. Been sitting here far too long.

Staring. ....................

Weird........

Me.

Has somebody shared photos of Terry and me with you? How ever did you know we looked like twin 25 year old Swiss Miss Gals? Wow, you must be psychic or something.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll treat you well.

Bye Equil, by Terry!

Dax

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
And We used to call You two Ladies!

No -- we called one Evilibrium and the other Dirt.
Among other things!

And yes, "comfort" in quotes has a very specific connotation that yappy little TerrieR cannot weasel out of now that she's made the commitment. Enjoy, and give us a full report, with pics.

Dax, forget those tempting siren calls, they will only disappoint you. I'll go you one better if you plant those conifers here instead -- I'll be good to your dog and let you share my campfire! Everyone knows that's the TRUE best way to treat a man!

Guy S.

Dax sweetie, the only one who will disappoint you is the man called Guy. He'll be good to your dog by calling it yappy and throwing it in the creek. Campfire? He'd share his campfire? That's truly a laugh. Will he keep you warm on those cool summer evening like Equil and I can? Will he run thru the wildflowers with you like Equil and I will? I think not. Equil and I will go where ever you want us to go. Will Guy? Nope. I'm curious too. How did you know Equil and I looked like the Swiss Miss gals?

Guy my dahling, I'm not weaseling out of anything. You're the one who said comfort. I don't care what specific connotations you gave it. They weren't there. It said "comfort". I can "comfort". Just as I can "dig" a "hole". Hmmm....now what specific connotations did I give that?? Think Guy, think...........

Yup, just call me and Terry the Nurture Queens... now dig holes and plant conifers for us! We'll stoke the home fires to keep you nice and toasty warm when you're done planting for us and we'll even toss in a few lap blankets to ward off the chills.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Yo Guy,

It's settled. Who needs em? Especially Evil and Dirt. I can see they're smarter than I am and quite frankly, that proves that a man is doing his civic duty to listen to only half of what they say. The sirens of their coniferphytus are clearly a call in the wild: an antelope on it's last jump, a bear SCAVENGING for his last meal, a swan taking it's last beauty lap around the pond.

I see now. This Evil and Terry combination are actually canabalistic Swiss Miss - man eaters!

Ohhhh.. (sigh of relief).

I'll see ya 10 pm tonight. We need to rest well before the big plans are to be made.

These women cannot rule man any longer!

Calling Batman, calling Batman... can you hear me? Calling BATMAN!

Dax

P.s. Girls - don't tell the Guystarhill but I'm in love with my new frolickers. These boys are just jealous of your looks. Now about this deal, you two got me covered? Codename: 'plicata' - to be continued...

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I see my darling Evil has chimed in while I was typing. - to be continued.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

And the saga continues:

Evil, totally distraught having been unable to get her hole dug, bates the unsupecting beast, Blacklab, to her lair promising sweetness and beer. Anything for a little MANual labor...

Meanwhile T3 still wages a senseless war against the leader of the "Y"s. Yappitty, Yappitty, Yap!

TriffidXX has disappeared and taken up decorating amd Astrology.

And Patrick, Special agent from Mars (under the code name of Fred) sets the trap, armed with Fireplace Lighter and a can of spray on hair (liquid bald spot reducer), a well know tick attractant, starts planting hundreds of Albizias around Evil's lair as a distraction.....

Codename: banksiana.... to be continued.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil - you're brilliant!

(Only some of us know why!)

"Conifers"

(reaching around to pat self on back) I thought it was kind of clever myself.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh yea? code name: Strobus HaHa!!!

Code name coulteri.......also to be continued.

'ole Strobus and coulteri didn't quite get it but they're all on the "X" team so we need to cut them some slack. They do get an A+ for effort though.

and here I thought I was being brilliant :(

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Holy smokes! I go to bed, then work, and next thing I know Dax is digging holes over in Equil's yard, and Terryr is leaving me holding my Juniper, dreaming of Swiss Miss girls. It was in quotes Terryr. It was in quotes (dejectedly)....

Ya'll can go dig your own holes and comfort yourself. I am going to Rich's Foxwillow on Friday for their tour so I am happy. Dax, you and your lab can still bring conifers over anytime you want. I'll have the bonfire and puke-bucket waiting.

Ahh...willy, I'll come hold your Juniper! I didn't know you needed me yet. Whatcha gonna buy me at Rich's? I haven't been there for a long time. It might of been in quotes sweetie, but we have to go by the word, not the innuendo. After all, what would your sweet little wife say? Hmmm???

Terry, you were a rising star. You were close but no bananas.

Oh Willis.... I was at Rich's earlier this year. I want to see you get out of there for under $500. It won't happen. I'll bring a fainting couch so that when you get your bill for your purchases and pass out there will be something soft for you to fall on. Gosh! Am I nurturing or what! Terry! Bring the smelling salts and the puke bucket filled with cold water to revive him! Yup, we're nurturing all right.

I were, not am?? *sniff sniff* Oh well, nanners give me a belly ache anyway.

Yes willy, Equil and I will both be there to give you comfort when you get your bill. I've got all the supplies needed. Not only are we nurturing, but we'll carry your purchases too. You'll be so weak and all, we'll do it. I'll bring some Tylenol too. Poor baby!

Were as in when you posted your codename Given your performance with the hatchet and weed wrench, I'd say you are most certainly a rising star. You done good.

Good thinking Terry! Carrying his purchases is an excellent idea. Yes, we can carry them to our cars where they will be safe after we give him a nice little slip sedative to help him ease the pain of the bill.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

If I spend anywhere even close to 500 beans, I might be forced into Terryr's arms for comfort from the beating da wife will dish out. We'll see if they have a couple of smaller sized plants I am looking for. I am more geeked about hanging out and seeing their farm and other stuff I might have not seen before. I told you to bring your wallet when you went this spring Equil. Looks like conifers are the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I am having no part of you two or your roofies. Save your date-rape drugs for the clubs. I'll be going with da wifey, so she'll do all the carrying.

Hmmm, the little woman is going with you. There may be a chance you will get out of there for under $500 then.

Yes willis, I did bring my checkbook with me when I went. That was the problem. It was like being in a candy store. I went specifically to pick up the P. banksiana 'Uncle Fogy' and a few 'Hillside Creeper'. I think they were either out of the 'Fastigiata' I had wanted or they had it in a much larger pot but then this other distichum and a larix jumped in my cart- imagine how surprised I was. Then next thing I knew there was a Metasequoia and yet another Ginkgo in my cart and after that it got kind of foggy for me because I know other things just magically appeared in my cart and it's like I told my husband when I came home... I must have been having a really wonderful out of body experience. I wasn't going to go back until next year but I sneaked back over there. They had a few more plants I had been oogling and they called out to me in my dreams and said "come back and buy me". What's a girl supposed to do with plants like whant they have over there? I went back and bought them.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Getting some conifers from Bethlehem Nursery and probably today as they were shipped Monday.

The next time any of you head to Rich's Foxwillow, ask for the "Dax" discount. They might look at you strangely, but Rich and Susan and Mom know me. The cashiers, well, I haven't made it that far yet. Hence the who in the heck or what in the heck is the Dax discount may become conversable.

I gotta get up there myself again. They have a Picea abies 'Weeping Blue' ready for me.

See ya all!

Dax

I got a better idea, next spring if you are going there you can take my checkbook with you. That will solve all the confusion of a "Dax" discount. I already know what I want. First on the list is that 'Fastigiata' that they didn't have available this year and after that it will be all down hill because I want a few more Ginkgos from them and I'm sure I'll want more goodies. I did have my eye on one of their water features but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get it home.

I never made it to Bethlehem Nursery. I don't know why I didn't? I forgot where it was. Maybe it was too far of a drive for me? I really don't remember why I didn't get there. I did make it over to The Possibility Place and they're on my list for next year. I drove a crew cab pick up truck when I went there so I can tell you the damage I did by them was good too. Both nurseries had excellent stock. The Possiblity Place had many of the native species I wanted and Foxwillow had the "lust for" plants I wanted.

Oh noooooooooo, this thread got back on topic sort of. Bummer.

I'm getting my 'orrible blotchy bleached death variegated Japanese Maple delivered today. Oh happy dance. resin... you out there? I'm going to be bonding with it for the next 40 years or so.

One more thing Dax, I am really planning to try my hand at rooting some cuttings. I've got an interesting tray to use. I'm sort of excited.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, thankfully we're back on track.

Quoting:
I'm getting my 'orrible blotchy bleached death variegated Japanese Maple delivered today. Oh happy dance. resin... you out there? I'm going to be bonding with it for the next 40 years or so.

No, I predict you'll be bonded with it for no more than a year. The second year you'll begin to realize how putrid it looks, and by the third year it probably will be dead anyway!

Guy S.

Ummm, don't think so dear. I bought it from a nursery that is already growing it in a similar zone but I actually think they might be a bit colder than me. That tree was making it just fine in Wisconsin at the Rotary Gardens. I'm thinking it will do just fine in that microclimate courtyard by the front doors to my house by the little decorative pond. I want it, I need it, it had my name on it, and I bought it. Mine mine mine mine mine! Eat your heart out 'ole fox with grapes out of reach. I bought the last one in that size.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Just remember -- if my Albizia dies a mysterious death, I know where you live . . .

Thumbnail by StarhillForest

Enjoy it while you're alive buddy. I'm patient. As the duly appointed executor of your estate, it is my intent to "part" it out before the dirt hits the top of your casket. They have those neat little drawers in the tops of caskets for momentos these days and I wouldn't want you going to heaven without a little piece of your beloved plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.