The last roundup

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

The red in the center of the Unknown is just terrific!
Keep em coming Trent!!
Nice show!!
Who needs tv when you have blooms like that? LOL!! 8^)

Tucson, AZ

Hi Trent,

Like I said the name may be wrong but mine sure looks like yours.

Dave

Thumbnail by franj
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Just want to say.....

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaleem

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Chantell! I love rainbows of all sorts.

Thanks, Michael! That red part is actually the stigma. I don't watch tv much. lol

Hi, Dave. I think your label is correct. It does look like a yellow form of R. krainziana, but I don't think mine is. The areoles on your's are more neatly arranged, and spines are shorter. Also, I've never seen R. krainzianas with orange flowers before, but who know. Your's is very nice!

Thanks, Kaleem!

Trent

This one I think is a Parodia, but I don't even know if that's the right genus.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Hollywood, FL(Zone 10b)

wow!!! so, where did you buy most of them?? always wondered how long it would take for the cacti you see at the big box stores to bloom??
cliff

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Hi, Cliff.

I collect cacti from all over. I got a lot of the larger ones from cactus nurseries in Arizona and locally. Some of the smaller ones are from local all-purpose nurseries, and gardencenters like Wal-Mart and Home Depots. Some are even mail-ordered and traded.

How long does it take for those cacti to bloom? That all depends on what type of cacti we're talking about. Some like Mammillarias, small form Echinopsis, Rebutias...can bloom when they're small--even in the stores. Some other large landscape ones can take years or decades. My first Golden Barrel was purchased 12 years ago at 10" across, and it still hasn't bloom yet. It is 15" across now--a blooming size.

Trent

Trent these are too much!!
I am soo excited that in my flurry of furious compulsive buiying I bought at least one of everything I saw and got several of these.
I cant wait for blooms!!
I fed everyone today.. so blooms tomorrow? :^D HAHA!!
I wish lol... in time... till then keep me intoxicated with yours!! ;^)
Mine will start when yours finish and ill get to keep you entertained heh...

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Well enjoy, Michael! Although the main blooming fury is basically over, I got a few more that continue to bloom.

Congrats! What did you get?
Hey, you never know. They can bloom sooner than expected. And when they bloom, I want to be entertained. I want to see tons of pics.

Here's a peanut cactus that has two color flowers on the same plant--sometimes, two colors on the same flower.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover

Too Cool!!
I couldnt tell you what I got lol!
I have no clue,
I know I see a lot of them here in your photos.
Ill start a thread with all my cacti pics.
Antoinete sent me a huge load too.
Several folks here have been so generous I have lost count lol!
Im actually at the stage of collecting where im seeking cheap but attractive pots and containers instead of plants or soil LOL!
My lovely wife bought me 2 great pots for fathersday ad theyre filled already Naturally!!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I think I have the same ornage rebutia...I think its flavistyla
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/97900/index.html

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

OH MY - I'M SUFFERING FROM SEVERE BLOOM ENVY HERE!
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!
Betsy

Betsy,
Get in line.....
;^)

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Michael, pictures. Make sure you have a link to your thread from here also. That'll make it easier for us to view them. Maybe you can even start before they bloom.

Wow, Todd! I think you got it. It look just like mine. Thank you so much for the info!

LOL, Betsy! Thanks!

Trent

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Definitely a beautiful display of gorgeous blooms, Trent! Can I stand in line to, please? So what do you use to help get your plants to bloom?
:) Donna

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good question Donna! What do you successful cacti growers use for feeding? Any particular brand?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Donna and Chantell! LOL Donna, if you want to stand in line, I guess it's okay. There are many factors that can help your cacti bloom better: Light, Temperature, Fertilizer, and Age of the plant itself. Now, the following infos are to help cacti bloom, NOT for growing them, which also involve soil, pot size and watering.

Light. If you live in northern climates like the New England or Canada, it is important to give your cacti plenty of light year round. If you live in the south, especially the deserts, dapple shade or afternoon shade is beneficial. Cacti can get too much light and can sun burn. Most people tend to grow them in too little light though.

Temperature. Most flowering cacti need a winter rest to produce buds. That means less or no watering and cooler temperatures. In the winter, most cacti should be kept around 40-45F, some can go down to the 30s and 20s, but make sure they still get some light.

Fertilizers. You can use most brands, and they don't have to be made specifically for cacti. I use Miracle-Grow flower booster and general purpose fertilizers for my cacti. Make sure you dilute it to half to one-fourth the strength on the label. When to fertilize? I give my cacti a small doze of flower booster in late February just to help the buds form. Then when the growing season arrives, I use the same flower booster twice a month. Then in July or when the main flowering season is over, I switch to general purpose fertilizer and apply it twice a month. I stop fertilizing in fall to help them prepare for their dormancy.

Age. If your cacti is not at a blooming age, it will not bloom no matter what you do. When they mature, they usually bloom more profusely.

Hope this helps.

Trent

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow, Trent! Thanks for all the info!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Big time ditto!! Need to have you guys (oops, gals too) do up a general info "sticky" for the C & S forum...I have no earthly idea how folks do that so I'm not much help...but I know it's been done in other forums. Hey Michael!! How'd Clare get that Plumeria "sticky" put on the Plumeria forum?

Ah Dunno.....

Tucson, AZ

Whats a "sticky"?

Franj

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Trent! Great info. =0) .....and you sure do grow good!!!!
Bets

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Franj - it's a thread that contains general information relative to that forum - it stays in the top spot so it doesn't get lost. They have one regardng plant packing on the Trade forum. And here's the one Clare put together for the Plumeria forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599185/ It just seemed to me that she and others were being asked the same questions over and over again. God bless them for being so patient.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

You're absolutely welcome, guys and gals!

Here's an Echinocereus pentalophus. This actually bloomed a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

To get info set up as a sticky, write everything nice and neat together in one post or so to start out with and ask Terry or Dave ( at Dave's forum) to make it a sticky on top of the forum. One can always add more good info later to it. That's all.
Of course, ask others please not to post " thank you and how cool " in there :-) ....
The Hoya forum was really nicely set up that way, we thought it was a good idea and did it for the Orchid forum too.

Tucson, AZ

Hi Trent,

Ya gotta love those E. pentalophus! Mine's given me some of my best pics.

Franj

Ok after a lil research I have found that The admins need to make a sticky thread and I guess they appoint someone to edit it.
Probably the person who requests it be made.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Malestrom, 2 posts up? :-)
They don't appoint someone, one of you selfappointed experts does it and that person asks, see above - to make it a sticky. Others can add to it later, without the "chat".

Ursula

LOL!!
Howd I miss that? X^P
Thanks Ursula

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Malestrom, it's fine!

Hey I just noticed youre in NJ
Im in Philadelphia!
If theres any plant swaps we could meet!
Thatd be fun eh?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Trent,
Meant to ask you (hopefully I didn't already...LOL) what kind of camera do you use for your macro shots?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Hi, Dave. I really do love E. pentalophus. Although the cacti itself look plain and almost ugly, their flowers are amazing.

Hey, Chantell. I use my Sony DSC-W1 for all my pics, macros and regular. It's a 5.1 megapixels, but I only use 3 megapixels for all shots.

Trent

I'm going to try to post several pics the nest few days, 'cause I'll be gone all next week.

I have a harder time with tropical cacti here in the desert, so this Aporocactus flagelliformis f. flagriformis barely bloomed for me.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A Gymnocalycium flower.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

More beauties!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Donna! A few more still.

Unknown Parodia with yellow flower.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Same cactus, close up of a single bloom.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Unknown parodia similar to above but with red flowers.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Echinopsis chamaecereus 'Fire Chief'

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Same

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Unknown echinopsis

Thumbnail by cacti_lover

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.