Bat-Face Cuphea

Pompton Lakes, NJ

Will this plant root in water or does it have to be in soil to root cuttings?.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

All cupheas are pretty easy for me to root--rotting hormone, moist soil, shade.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Well if that's so Deb will root you the pink/purple- Buchannan's called it "tri-color cuphea" but DG calls it bunny cuphea. Either way it 's pretty.

Pompton Lakes, NJ

Thank you.... I am trying both to see what one is faster

Let me know!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

If anyone DOES end up with some rooted c. cyanea, I'd love some! I've been wanting that particular cuphea for a while now. I can't seem to find it!

I have the cuphea 'flamenco tango' rooting right now to trade, or many, many other things, also.
-T

This is the one that I have

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/108369/

along w/ bat faced & cigar plant, dwarf- haven't seen the other

This message was edited Jun 5, 2006 8:30 PM

T
I searched for the flamenco tango and it's gorgeous! don't have what you want but what else might you be willing to accept in trade???

I would consider it, but who has the cyanea?? I thought you were the one who mentioned it...
I'm confused.
-T

Sorry, I have only the bat faced, bunny ears/tri-color and cigar plant.
You can dmail me if you are interested in trading for something else.
April

The c. cyanea IS called tricolor cuphea, but wonder if we are talking about the same thing, or not...

Is this one you have?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/24127/

That is the one I am looking for.

I called the nursery today, and it is 4.99 for a 4"round pot of the flamenco tango, (if you wanted to start out with a larger one...much larger than I could have rooted any time soon. )
-T

T
That's not the one that I have.
I have the one that is pink and lavender

Thumbnail by aprilwillis

another shot

Thumbnail by aprilwillis

This may be a better photo

Thumbnail by aprilwillis
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hello, reming me in the fall, I will try to collect some seeds if it can set some. I understand you, I've been looking for this one for about 3-4 years and I suddenly came upon it accidentally this spring.

I'll do that! I'll tape a sticky note on my desk and won't remove it until Fall, lol...

I mail ordered one from Houston once, and was so excited, but then when I opened the box, it was the mini cuphea like Aprils. While I like it , it was such a disappointment...

Does the cyanea come true from seed? I guess it would since it is a species, not a hybrid, right?
-T

April--that first pic needs to go in the PlantFiles. Its much better than the one in there; also the 'mini gem' you picked up yesterday--it has a decent pic but no nice descriptive write up.

Is that first pic a 'shorter than I got' variety? it might look good at the very front of the bed between the lattices in my Rangoon Creeper lattice room. Will also hold the heavy mulch from sliding out.
Debbie

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Yes, C. cyanea is a species; a nice hybrid of this one was released this spring which is yellow-orange insted of yello-pink http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/108190/

I did post one to plant files a ways back, forgot about it and still a 3rd name for this cuphea- I have seen it at nurserys call bunny ears and tri-color; DG has is as Cigar Bush 'Starfire' (Cuphea )
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/108369/

And yours is the best descriptive/color indicating shot too....I actually am learning something here (no speculation on old dogs learning new tricks--lol) about cupheas.They all look different but have that same leaf structure. Why is the plant files calling Mexican Heather (you know-dime a dozen plant down here) a cuphea? Is it actually in the same family? I'd have never thunk it...lol

Yeah it is in the same family- weird huh, not one of my favorite plants, but easy to grow and self propagating.

But, thankfully, it has a short perennial lifespan down here and dies after a couple of years and you can easily clean it out. Good plant to take up space for a short time till you get the plant you really want there.

Yup have done that myself.

I'm not finding clownface cuphea in the PlantFiles....

Try this

Cuphea llavea x viscosisissima

http://www.avantgardensne.com/cuppur

That looks like it--they would do it more justice if it was a close up shot...lol. Well I'll get it into the PlantFiles then. That looks like a pretty neat source--ever ordered from them?

I think I did and if I did I liked them. They seem to have a good supply of cuphea ,although they are out of some now. Would like to get more.
I told Gardenglory to ship ours together-hope you don't mind.

The shipping is only $2.25--she may as well send it here. If we don't get it soon it will be a bit late for this season. After the end of August I'm not using any kind of fertilizer type products.

That Minnie Mouse cuphea sounds darling--wish they had a picture.

Yeah- would love to get one.

The clown face is in the PlantFiles now.
;)

You are too good! And hopefully we will be posting pictures soon!

Pompton Lakes, NJ

update on rooting bat -face cuphea.... no luck in water,,,,cuttings in potting mix rooted very well.......still trying water

I didn't try the bat face but did successfully root pink cigar plant- rooting hormone, moist soil, shade- have you tried adding superthrive or small amount of sugar to the water?

Pompton Lakes, NJ

no i havn't but i will....should they be in the shade?

Here yes because our sun is so intense- probably wouldn't hurt there as well, then when you are ready to move them into regular growing conditions you may have to harden them a bit- gradually move them to full sun.

Pompton Lakes, NJ

thank you...i'll keep you up to date......

All of them root easily in a combo half potting soil half germinating mix, no cover, in shade for me.

Deb
I have the pink cigar plant rooted for you- also the mexican flame vine; the Susan's Little Gem is iffy right now- will let you know.

give them awhile longer--the russelia had no roots--but I can come get more! lol Susan's little gem is such a cute little plant I'm surprised you had any spare foliage.
3 of 4 of the other cuphea are going to be fine here. These are blooming like crazy and way too early here...may have to 'shear' them like sheep for fall bloom.

edited to add: they probably aren't used to adequate summer rain, since we haven't had any for the last 2 summers. sarcasm dripping here...

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Pompton Lakes, NJ

this guy grew an extra ear..............

Thumbnail by zonesix

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.