Show Us Your Columbine #2

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

#4 a pink, Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

#5 and a blue. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

This is one of my columbine that I don't know a name for---ANYONE KNOW WHAT TYPE THIS IS???

Thumbnail by blakekhall
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

At last this page has loaded, I've had trouble since yesterday, couldn't get the latest posts to load and had a broad page. Getting too long.

Billyporter, I love the fact that you have tried to co-oordinate your garden with your neighbour's blue pool!

Carrie, mutts are always unruly but have wonderful characters! Tequila Sunrise is awesome!

Patti, your aquilegias have been prolific, with the help of bees! The bicolour one is similar ot my Petticoats.

blakehall, sooooo nice! It looks to me like a Biedermeier hybrid by the form. I had a yellow and apricot one but it hasn't shown this year.

Look at colorscapesgreenhouse, there seems to be some different forms but I got mine as a plant.

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/image?query='aquilegia%20biedermeier&invocationType=ima

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very nice Patti!
Dave

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

O.K. I'll add mine. yeah I have plants this year! I started a yard from scratch last year. 1 acre with absolutely nothing.

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose

and another

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Don't forget, gypsy, that what you see now is nothing. Have you hesrd the expression "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they take over, I mean leap?" Each of those will grow into a large plant, plus the hybrids. Good thing you've got a lot of space!

xxx, Carrie

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

This white columbine exploded with blooms this year...I love the white against the rest of the spring green.

Thumbnail by blakekhall

Oh, I cant wait for all the exploding.( I just got another 60 plants in the mail today from bluestone from their 50% off sale.) Just the difference from last year in my yard until this year is amazing. I have a bunch of scattered columbine babies in the weirdest places that I have to move to better locations. They will grow just about anywhere huh. I had a bunch of seeds that blew over last year and nature took care of the rest. More blooms for next year :)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Can columbines tolerate being moved? I really would prefer that Tequila Sunrise, if it's going to be 4' tall, be farther back, behind something else. I tend to think of columbines as short plants who get out of the way by the time it's really summer.

xxx, Carrie

Carrie, you can move them but it would be best to wait until the autumn or spring. When it's finished flowering you can cut it back so it won't be as tall.

The foliage does tend to die back later and regrow, I usually cut off the foliage when the new starts to grow. You can cut the flower stems off for a start unless you want to keep seed. In that case you will need to leave it until they are ripe.

my neighbor moved one of hers into my yard 2 weeks ago. I didn't mind at all. I just dug a big enough hole and she dug a good size rootball around it and plopped it in my hole. It was maybe a foot high with buds on it. I made sure I gave it a good soak and it bloomed for me not missing a beat. It's the pic of the maroon one above. I don't know if I got lucky but that one did fine. I have babies that are in the grass that will get mowed and in the stones of the driveway that will bloom next year. If I leave them, their fate is pretty grim. so, I was going to move them because I really don't have anything to lose. I'm sure everyone else is much more informed than I though. Andrea

mygypsy, yes they will be OK and most likely live even if the soil falls off at this time of year, but a smaller plant will be easier to move than a large one.

It's a matter of whether you really want to move something at the time and risk it, if it's kept well watered it will be OK but from autumn to spring the ground is wetter as a rule, and cooler, that's when perennials are best moved as they will root easier and not suffer.

wallaby, I was actually started writing my post before you posted. my baby woke up and I finished it when I got her settled down again. We actually did a very long cross-post due to me. I wrote in my post that my plant was small and that my babies were going to die if they were left where they were. To me it sounded as if her plant was small and she wanted to move it before it got big. I also added that there many more people, such as yourself, that were much more informed about the subject. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Bought this as a seedling last year and it went gangbusters this year.

I have another I need to get a picture of as it was a freebie 6 years ago and I don't know the name. The parent plant died but this seedling made it last year.

Thumbnail by ves522

oh I forgot this one

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Here is the columbine I don't know the name of. Can anyone help?

Thumbnail by ves522
Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

And this would be my one and only.

Thumbnail by americanwoman
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I love that yellow one. Here's one of mine. Tower Blue.

Thumbnail by revclaus

And another. Clementine Red.

Thumbnail by revclaus

And my third. Pagoda Blue & White.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Redford, MI(Zone 6a)

revclaus, all very pretty. They are some of my favorite perennials.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They come back (for me) so reliably, they spread, and they make such interesting hybrids. They're a fave of mine too.

Also, their foliage, when they're not flowering, is quite nice. You rarely hear about off-season foliage, but I think I might grow columbines, portulaca, or geums just for their foliage. Definitely NOT black-eyed Susan, monarda, or dahlias! Have you ever seen a dahlia starting to grow? You don't know which is the weed and which is the expensive dahlia!

Let's hear it for COLUMBINES!!

xxxx, Carrie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I have started #3 since there was a posting to #1 and this is even longer than that.

Here is #3 (I hope I have been jumping all around the place to do this between #1 and #2

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/904162/

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 11:57 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.