Show Us Your Columbine #2

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wallaby, More to learn, didn't notice the lack of spurs. I'll try to save some seeds from this one. Wonder if it will come true?

Thanks.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Unless it is a species and isolated aquilegias cross-pollinate easily with others. If there are no other aquilegias nearby you might get some similar, whatever you get it's worth a try. Many nice surprises could be in store.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love all these photos of the columbines. Everyone so interesting in its own way.

Like bonitin, I went out and purchased a couple of them after seeing the thread. Now I am not sure where to place them. Have read that they need a completely shaded space to grow. Do you agree? I thought they could take some sun...

Could someone tell us what sorts of plants you have planted around the columbines in your garden?

I was thinking of putting mine among the siberian iris, but they get quite a bit of sun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. t.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I have solomon seal, also painted daisies, coral bells, and filipandula. All get quite a bit of sun

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I have a Nora Barlow Black that I grew from seed that is in full sun. It was in shade until we took down the hedge a year ago. I plan on moving it to a more shaded bed when I 'get a round tuit'. It'd doing fine there but I expect it will go dormant if we get a lot of above 90 degree temps.

In the bed with the double petticoats there are Hibiscus syriacus, in front Centaurea montana, and I have Dahlia Bishop's Children at the front which grow later.

The mass of self sets are in a fairly sheltered spot which gets some sun and shade, I have Papaver patty's Plum behind, delphiniums and Campanula Blue Bloomers to come later. Amongst the aquilegia are Commelina dianthifolia which grow later, and a few self set pansies, the ground is always covered.

Some others, Sunburst Ruby and a purple version with yellow foliage and self sets are behind Aster Tonga Island, Pittosporum Tom Thumb, Phlox Nicki. There was a Viburnum plicatum Mariesii behind which looked lovely but it died, I have replaced it with Magnolia sieboldii which is still young, some lilies are there too in front, and I have put some Cardiocrinum giganteum offsets amongst them. The lot gets both shade and a little sun.

Sunburst Ruby etc....a poor pic taken of a Thrush through the window on zoom, but it shows the arrangement. At the left is Ceanothus Pershore Zanzibar, then a variegated holly, under it Lathyrus vernus, lilies near, at the right aster starting to grow with some lilies behind, then Pittisporum with a creeping Clematis Piilu between them, Phlox to the right of Pittosporum. The dahlias grow at the front where the crocus foliage is dying off.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A closer view of Sunburst Ruby, also behind the Pittosporum is Helleborus foetidus. Self set orange poppies there too from the invasive neighbour! They make a deep tap root, I pulled some not sure if I should leave any.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This shows both the other main lots, the north facing bank which has pulsatilla vulgaris flowering earlier, the foliage remains until autumn. Several other alpines near the bottom, oxalis, potentila alba, some dwarf campanula in different places. The large fern set itself and like it there, but another two might have to be moved. A couple of Gypsophila grow later and cover a large area.

The others can be seen behind the phormium. I've tried several times to get a decent pic of these together but it's either too sunny or too dull, the colours are washed out on those on the bank.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Thank you for your garden reports. I have a lot of options to consider here! So many possible combinations, but it sounds like shade might be recommended...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice as usual Janet.

I have all my columbine in the shade - just because it is harder to find things to flower there for me.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

All the usual shade residents for this zone are in there, I don't really have them arranged for any color combinations though.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Your borders look very neat Al! I never arrange in colour combinations, I just get what I like and put in in when I have space. I only planted one on the north facing bank, the rest set themselves! It;s lovely when I go out my back door, I'm surrounded by aquilegias.

My garden is mostly shaded anyway, it all gets shade at some time of the day. The huge horse chestnut tree gets in the way of sun!

It is possibe to grow them in a certain amount of sun, it may depend on the variety too. In this bed I only planted two which I grew from Songbird Cardinal, one pink and one nearly white. A few have self set from those, others from elsewhere. I have Lilies, Irises, then Geraniums to take over later.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Love the natural look of your borders Wallaby!

Wallaby-- lovely iris/aquilegia combinations in your border...

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I started seeds for Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata 'Green Apples' last spring and they have now started to bloom. (tons of them) From the catalog of Select Seeds "This rare variety has white petals tinged with green on the backs. A great many varieties were in cultivation by the end of the 1500s, including these spur-less types" Nice green turning to a creamy white. Don't you just love that everything is "rare". Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have very little shade. maybe that's why mine haven't done particularly well. maybe once I get some larger shrubs in I'll have spots with at least some shade. in the meantime, I keep trying.

they're all so beautiful. Janet, I love your borders, too. yours, too, Al. I try to do combinations but they never really work out.

Thanks all for the comments, I guess there has to be something good about having a lot of shade!

tabasco, you should try putting yours with iris and see how they go, use other ground cover to help cool the ground and an occasional small evergreen shrub might help with shade.

I think aquilegias like a lot of leafy compost, it gives the ground good structure, but I haven't put any where the irises are. It was so hot and dry last year in summer that spot was bone dry, along with many other areas but they survived OK. We don't get a lot of heat earlier though, they seem to like it cool.

This spring has been warmer and very dry but they have still done well, the last few days have been like winter and raining! There is a Yucca filamentosa behind it with it's first flower spike coming!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here's my one and only...Robin. last year there were 2 plants. this was wasn't doing well at all. the 'good' plant didn't come back this spring, but this one looks great!

edit to add: I planted some 'Swan Rose & White' last year, but it didn't come back either.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by grampapa

Robin is one of the Songbirds, I only have one left of 20 ( 2 named) I grew from seed several years ago. They don't seem to live long but will make good plants if they are crossed with others, they make very little good seed.

The Spring Magic series is reliable.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, Janet. I've heard that about the Songbirds. Of course, not until after I had planted them lol. I had more to start with and the 2 Robins were the only ones that ever bloomed and made it thru a winter. i'll try some Spring Magic.

I'm attempting some Nora Barlowe and unnamed varieties from donated seed, but it's slow going. I'll bet that some of the crosses are hardier.

btw, I also bought seed for Yucca filamentosa and just when I thought it might not germinate at all, I see a tiny seedling this morning! patience is required...

(Zone 5a)

Gram - McKana's giants do very well here and come in many pretty color combinations ;-) Also the A. vulgaris varieties and A. flabellata which have buds and will be flowering very soon! :-)

rannveig, I have tried A flabellata but they disappear, perhaps they like it very cool.

Gram, I grew Yucca filamentosa from seed too. I was placing an order from deJagers when they had a catalogue and wanted to make up the order so I didn't pay postage, they had Y filamentosa so I bought it as I thought the seeds might not germinate. A sure way to get seeds to germinate!

That was around 6 years ago, the seedlings (got two in a pot) must have been 2 years old as they are slow for a start but when they start to make the thick tap root they grow quickly. Expect to wait 7 or 8 years!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, this thread took off again. I really need to create a bed of "just columbines."

There are so many gorgeous pictures it's hard to single one person out. I love them all!

Swallowtail. It's supposed to reseed true to itself. I planted it last year.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Red Hobbit opened. Also planted last year.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Columbine, wild blue phlox and the neighbor's pool :))

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

billyporter, I love the 'red hobbit'. It is going on my wanted list. Better still, I just found a source and ordered it today. I will not get to see it in bloom this year, but a hobbit in the hand is worth??? While at it, I ordered Olympia red and gold and Olympia red and white. I thought I would try a few and see which I like best. Here is Spring Magic Blue and White. I have 'Black Barlow' and 'William Guiness' aka "Magpie' opening soon, but seem to be missing a couple that I was expecting. Thanks, Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
(Zone 5a)

Sally - your Red Hobbit is gorgeous! :-) Love your bed of columbines and Phlox too !

(Zone 5b)

It is SO easy to see why gardeners go ape over certain kinds of flowers...Heucheras, Hostas, Columbine, Daylilies, or these lovely Columbines (or is that Concubines? They seem so promiscuous!)

I got one lone bloom about a week ago, and it was just so darned CUTE! A white & pinkish thing on a tiny Dollarplants.com purchased baby plant. Can't wait to see the others. I think I might have a solid white in the hosta bed...must check that out when I get home. Recently purchased Burgundy Barlow, and another pink variety.
Sorry; no pics yet.

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I was suprised to see this thread alive and well since I made comment a year ago. I thought I would include another picture of Nora Barlow, now in her second year.

Thumbnail by rsquared
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah, all so pretty.

Here are a bunch of different mutts, the shorter one carefully obscured by the taller pink one in front.

xxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And this is Tequila Sunrise, about four feet tall, or 2 feet taller than it's supposed to get!

xx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's my double pink columbine that I've had for years. It looks like a Nora Barlow to me.

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

Oops! Forgot the pic.

Thumbnail by prettypeony
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, but I doubt it's a Barlow as it has no spurs. Just my humble opinion. :)

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

I really have no idea kooger, but its a pretty double pink. Ruth

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

oh yes, a very pretty pink. :)

(Zone 5a)

Prettypeonie - very pretty double pink. It's short curved spurs would lead me to think it's some kind of A. vulgaris variety. Barlow has no spurs.

carrie and rsquared - very pretty as well! :-)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

For years I had only this one NOID. and then it has become a mass of many colors. Don't know what happened, but I love them all. Patti

Picture #1 is the original all dark purple

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

#2 new colors including this bi colored one. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

#3 a white. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.