Messenger questions

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Once or twice is great. They don't get hooked. One of my favorite rose growers in Youngsville nc only uses it twice in the summer to set rose hips and has great results. Use it Critter!

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Sherry, it's been in the 90s w/ 80-90% humidity here, how soon do you want me?
April

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, will do! Thanks!!!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm wondering if this is the result of messenger? Its the biggest fuchsia bloom I've seen. (June Bride) That's a six inch ruler next to it. I sprayed three weeks ago and then again two days ago.

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Same bloom next to an older one, quite a difference.

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes Vizz8, I believe it could be.
Sidney

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Am really anxious to be home now to see results of spraying Messenger just before we left. My neighbor tells me everything is looking good, especially the tomatoes.

This was my 3rd spraying of the season, and not seeing the growth every day, there should be a marked difference.

Will try and post pics when I can!

I am so looking forward to that Gracie.
Sidney

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

aprilwillis, oh yuck....that's why I didn't stay in Iowa! Loved the winters, absolutely loathed the summers. Bring a trowel, garden gloves and a sweater, we've had lovely overcast weather, perfect for planting and transplanting.
Sherry

PS, you guys have convinced me, I'm ordering Messenger tomorrow.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 6:47 PM

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I have spent some summers in the midwest as a kid, having grown up in So cal those summers were my 1st exposure to hummidity! I would never leave home w/o my trowel!
Do order and here is the important part, USE the messenger. I know someone posted that she had a bunch but hadn't used it- for sure it doesn't work if it stays in the package.! LOL.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't remember seeing this in past posts, but it's been awhile since reading them all.......anyone done any messenger spraying just before takings cuttings? Or used on fresh cuttings? I'm wondering whether it would be helpful or harmful.
Sherry

Well those post were from a year ago.
;)

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I bought Messenger a year ago and am only getting around to using it for the second time. After I sprayed this a.m. I realized that I do have time today to take cuttings...duh! I figured by now everyone would have tried all kinds of different things with it. Well....only one way to find out!

Do keep us posted.
Thanks, Sidney

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have heard that it is not a good idea to spray hostas with Messenger. If that is true, are there other plants that one also should avoid spraying with Messenger?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Someone brought up the hosta thing on another Messenger thread, so I'll share the same thought I did there. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to use Messenger on hostas if you can use it on other plants, I don't think there's anything that would make Hostas in particular react badly. I also think that if Messenger would damage hostas, the mfg would have put a warning on the package not to use it on them. There are bazillions of hostas out there in the country, not like it's a rare plant or something, so there's lots of potential $$ damages for them to pay out if their product kills them, and I think they would want to avoid that.

If you know who it was that had a bad experience with it on hostas, I would try to get some more information from them. My personal theory is that yes, someone did use Messenger on a hosta and then something bad happened to the hosta, but it could very well have been a coincidence rather than cause and effect. My story is that I sprayed it on my Parlor Palm (Chamaedorea), and within a few days started noticing a stippled pattern on the leaves which kept getting worse and worse and eventually I threw the plant out. I of course assumed it was the Messenger that did it (although it didn't cause any damage to any of my other plants). Later of course I learned about spider mites and realized that's what had been wrong with the palm, but since I'd never had spider mites before I didn't know the symptoms so jumped to the conclusion at the time that the Messenger was to blame when in fact it was just a coincidence.

I don't grow hostas, but I've used Messenger on a wide range of different plants and have never noticed any bad effects.

Well I live where you can't grow Hostas, LOL and I grow Hostas! I use Messenger on them and they are fine with it. I have the best luck with Guacamole Hosta, but have several more. Mth Messenger does help.
Sidney

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I've used it on my varigated hostas with no problems. No yellowing at all on my tomatos plants this year! This stuff works!

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.