How I Remain Impoverished....

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

If I could just stay AWAY from the garden centers on the weekends....I could buy other things? These are just pics I snapped while I cruised through. I only bought ONE plant, so I was good today. Hahaha

This is a bonsai bouganvillea

This message was edited Apr 29, 2006 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Oleander

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

HB of Bouganvillea(God, she is SO pretty!)

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Stephanotis...The scent of the flowers is just HEAVENLY!

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

A really big pencil cactus...

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Brug or Dat? I don't know, but the flower is pretty. the flower on the opposite side of the tree was yellow. I thought that was interesting!

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

One of my favorite Passifloras- 'Caerulea'.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

An unknown succulent in a bunny rabbit pot...

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I know the feeling..lol I can't seem to drive by a garden center with out want to to look..thankfully I don't have the space for most things I would want..

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I saw a bougainvillea at Lowe's today and I decided it was so gorgeous, I would get it. There wasn't any price tag on it so I just took it to the check out line. It wasn't in a bonsai- it wasn't incredibly huge- I figured...maybe $10-12? Wrongo!! They wanted FORTY BIG ONES for it!! I'm talking four-zero! In DOLLARS!!! I laughed and took it back.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Good Lord! 40 buckaroos? I can feel myself leaning towards going back to that GH and buying the Bougan to use outdoors as a HB this summer. However, if it costs that much, and it probably does, I can do without. My God! That is too much money!

GH

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

GH - great finds. I too am a plantaholic. I think it's a good thing to be.

Brug flowers hang down, Datura flowers stand up.

And I have that same bunny planter. I'm going out right now to plant it up with succulents.

Jooolz

Bowling Green, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the bouganvillea and fortunately for me they grow here like wildfire once established. I have several in the ground that I purchased but I do not know how to consistently grow them from cuttings. I have had some success but it is about 50%. If anyone can give me some tips on starting new plants from cuttings I would appreciate it. This picture is of a double that can't seem to make up it's mind what color it blooms but she is a beauty.

Thumbnail by greykoala
(Zone 1)

GH .... AMAZING plants! I Love that Stephanotis, that's been one on my wish list forever! We never seen them for sale down here in Garden Centers. One of these days I will break down and order one!

Greykoala: I think you actually have two different plants in the one pot ..... that's why you have two colors. Down here the nurseries grow them that way. I bought two or three Bougie's this past Spring and one of the pots I divided the plants up and one pot had all pink while another had the colors of yours above .... two separate plants. I ended up planting a large container with both colors in it. The one with deep pink flowers has variegated leaves and the one with the light pink/whitish flower has solid green leaves. Not as full of blooms right now as it was about a month ago ... I think it's because we've had lots of rain every day and it prefers to be on the dry side. Here's a pic I just went out and took:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

It was full of blooms when I took this pic on June 12th. It has grown a lot but the rain has knocked off a lot of the flowers!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

GrowHappy...
Maybe it's good we don't have any garden centers with such gorgeous plants anywhere around here as those you posted. All too tempting.

Beautiful containers, Lin. I do envy your tropical climate. We get all the heat and humidity here in the summer but also have the long dark cold winters to contend with, snow, etc.

(Zone 1)

Hi Snow! I hear ya! The heat and humidity are horrible right now! We've been having temp's in the mid 90's with very high humidity too ... some days feels like 105 or more. Usually we don't get the mid 90 temps until August & September. I wouldn't mind the Snow for maybe a week or two, but I sure would be depressed with long dark cold winters that lasted more than a couple of weeks! LOL. Guess I've been in Florida too long! I remember my sister in law who lives in upstate N.Y. once telling me that they sometimes go for a couple of months in winter without seeing the sun! YIKES! I would be soooo depressed! I really don't know how folks cope with real long, dreary, cold winter's. Some say you get used to it. I count my Blessings every day and try not to complain too much about the heat .... after all, I can come inside to air conditioning which a lot of folks don't even have. I remember the Hurricane's of 2005 when we were without electricity for 6 days .... what a wake up call that was! Sure made me appreciate the good things, and I try not to complain too much. Of course, I'm only human and have to give myself a good talking to every once in awhile!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Your SIL lives in upstate NY. Now there's a place that gets snow and lots of it. Too much for me. I remember last winter and felt sorry for them. Did you stay in your home without electricity for 6 days?

(Zone 1)

Yep ... stayed for 6 days ... no running water, no air conditioning! Luckily we had a small Generator that hubby could keep his fish tank hooked up to so the fish didn't die. And, we had one little fan running! Had to use the swimming pool for taking a bath! Being without electricity is NOT fun when the temp's are in the 90's and the humidity is so high too! Lived in my bathing suit! Hubby snapped a pic of me shaving my legs on the pool deck! I still feel so blessed that we only went without power for those 6 days. After Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida in 1992 and of course after Katrina, seeing all of that destruction .... I count my blessings that that's all we lost was electricity! We had Hurricane Charley, Frances and Jeanne hit our area in a 5 week period, but did not have the devastation that folks had from Andrew and then of course Katrina. Folks along the Gulf Coast and especially the New Orleans and Mississippi areas are still reeling two years after Katrina. It takes so many years to recuperate from storms like that and of course some folks lives are never back to normal with all the loss of life that came from Katrina.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Zapata, Texas.............I didn't realize that you were in zone 10 that far south..........jealous..........i keep thinking i am going to make a trip down to the valley before the summer is over..................do you have lots of good garden centers? How far from Harlingen are you??????????

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My ex-husband was from Edinburg/McAllen, TX... spent many a military leave and vacations down there.

Way, WAY too hot for me!!! Loved his family though.

Karen

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

GrowHappy,
a good friend just returned from LA and reported that the Getty Museum has Bougainvillea trees everywhere...............she said that wrought iron round cages were made for them to force them up high enough to be as tall as trees!!!!!!!!! She loved them.................wants to come home and try to do the same thing............

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Gessieg....you mean espaliers?
I can see how that would be incredibly visually appealing!
The black wrought iron against the vivid blooms...!

Good all-around garden centers are few and far between.
There's a great one about 75 miles from me, I used to visit often...but that was then and this is now!
I really miss visiting there!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

she explained that the wrought iron was pretty tight around the main stem and were pretty high forcing the plant to be a tree...............said they were magnificent.............

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

GG, it really sounds like a sight to behold! :)

GH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.