I'm surprised not to see any mention of Jasmine here

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chantell,
It is called 'Erlicheer'. I am not good at cut and pasting but if you look it up on internet--you will find it.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow YOU are great!!! That'll make it easy for me to find...do they get planted fall time like the regular ones?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

yes.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

thank you!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

You are welcome. I found it as a surprise---when I bought them from 99cent store. Could not believe my nose. I want to have year round fragrance in my yard--not there yet. But I keep trying.

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone.

I live in a zone where the winter temperature can go below 14 degrees centigrade. I am looking for a jasmine to cover part of the fence but the only one available in the local nurseries is called "winter jasmine" and it is not fragrant. Could you suggest a fragrant jasmine that is hardy?

Thanks

Viqar

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm in zone 7A and confederate jasmine can with-stand our temps. They have a nice scent. Sure they'd do fine in your area.
You might want to start your question as a new post - you'll get more responses that way. Sometimes new questions get lost in old posts.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Logee's sells a jasmine that is winter hardy and say it is fragrant.

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

Thanks Chantell and lovetropics.

I will post this as a separate thread I think.

P.S, the confederate may servive in my area but it's a bit iffy. Anything just north of the confederate jasmine will survive here

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Viqarqadir,
I live in Northern Spain and my Confederate or star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is doing fine in a sheltered spot. I also see it growing alot in southwest France. The temperature goes below 0 degrees centigrade here many times during the winter, sometimes as low as 10 or 12 degrees below. I think the star jasmine should survive fine in Italy. It smells lovely too.
Maggi xxxx

Treviso, Italy(Zone 9a)

Hola Sorgina

The area I live in has a bit of a micro climate going on. It's about 20 km from the dolomites and the same distance from the sea. The winters can be quite wet and the temperature often goes below 12 centigrade. I've been told that the star jasmine may survive for a couple of years but will not last for long. The other thing that discouraged me from getting it is that I haven't seen it anywhere in my area, even though a lot of people here love jasmine.

I still might get it though, you never know

Viqar

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Viqar,
You're very wise to be guided by what others in your area are growing - it's usually a good indicator. However, there are plants that are just not known or haven't been available in a particular area which will do well if you dare to risk it. I have imported lots of old garden roses from England which have never been heard of here, and most of them are doing well. I'm happy to say that now some of my neighbours and students are growing some of them too, and are very pleased with the results. It's so nice to share something like that.
Good luck with finding the right jasmine.
Maggi xxxx

Union City, TN(Zone 6b)

I absolutely love the scent of Nightblooming Jasmine. I grew up with the scent coming in my bedroom windows as night (when I lived in Florida). I recently received one from Ebay of all places and its quite nice and even has a few blooms. I have it in a container now, but would like to plant it in front of my front porch which faces east. Does anyone know if this plant can survive in my zone. I'm in northwest Tennessee. Thanks.....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My Confederate Jasmine is blooming now - the smell at night esp. these cooler nights we've been having....ahhhhh heaven! I'm so excited this plant is thriving!!! It had been brought up from FL and babied indoors since Thanksgiving..LOL Yipeee!!

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

I have 2 Jasmines, the confederate has just completed a blooming cycle and the other one ; (I don't know the type) is just blooming and is fragrant. Nice to have them bloom in succession like that.
I have wanted a night bloomer for years. Saw them at Walmart last weekend, but I heard they can attract snakes. Do any of you have any experience or know if this is true?

I have a few black snakes in my yard that are non poisonous, but they make my heart jump when they suddenly " snake" past me. I really don't want any more!

I am building a secret Fragrant / Butterfly garden for my grandaughter and I to enjoy as she grows. I am learning so much from reading your posts. Thank you!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't imagine how a fragrant plant of any sort would attract snakes? I had one of those at my last house and never saw any snakes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.