I'm surprised not to see any mention of Jasmine here

Modi'in, Israel

I've browsed through the titles of all the threads in this forum and was really surprised not to see any Jasmine mentioned. I have two varieties of Jasmine in my garden. While both are fragrant, the Jasminum polyanthum is glorious in the cooler hours of the day. Even in the hottest part of the day, it gives off a lovely fragrance if you stand close enough. Our back garden is a wonderful place to be when this one is in bloom! :-)

-Julie

Thumbnail by salvia_lover
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I know it has been talked about on several threads but like you said Jasmine dose not have its own post. Thank you for for starting one!
I have several jasmine.
Confederate Jasmine,(Trachelospermum jasminoides) going crazy now!
Maid of Orleans (Jasminum sambac)
Night blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum)
Carolina Jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens Margarita)
Pandorea vine (Pandorea jasminoides)
Jasmine molle (Jasminum auriculatum)
I think thats it for now but there is always room for more!
Caren

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Caren, does that Pandorea vine smell at all? I saw in a caatalog that it was fragrant, but everyone that grows it, says not. How do you like the night blooming jasmine (cestrum)? I am going to order it, but I saw on some reviews that it was overpowering.
Julie, thanks for starting this-I love the jasmines too. Do you also have stephanotis there? I love that scrnt too. I started some from seeds a few years ago and last summer it bloomed! I was so excited-like a kid lol. When I lived in Hawaii, it was everywhere.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Tiger,
The Pandorea vine I have smells very good if you smell the flower. Its kinda sweet like cotton candy but doesnt waft :o( Im not sure if all smell, I was just lucky to find one in bloom at a local nusrsey. I would suggest if you are buying the plant for its fragrance you do the same. Last year I bought a Mock orange (Philadelphus Coronarius) and I don't find it to be fragrant in the least. Boy I sure was upset! So now if I can't sniff first Im not buying it!
The Cestrum on the other hand will knock your socks off!! its best if smelled from a distance on a hot humid night. I have mine about 15-20 yards from the house so I can catch it on the breeze. Having it too close to your house and it can be too much. It really is a treasure and to me a smell that to me has "The South" all over it.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Caren,
What are your thoughts on the scent of the Confederate Jasmine? I bought one in FL over Thanksgiving and brought it home to baby over the winter. About ready to put it into the ground within a couple of weeks. It was the only one that I could find that was listed as hardy to 7. Is the Night blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) hardy to zone 7, do you know?
Chantell

This message was edited Apr 13, 2006 11:21 PM

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Chantell, I really love the CF jasmine I have it just outside my bedroom window. It is fragrant night and day and hasnt had any problems bugs or disease. It was even one of my Rita survivors. It started blooming last week and its just covered in white flowers! The smell is strong but to me its not too much. As for Cestrum you could try to push it but I don't know how it would do. Do you get a hard freeze? You might try keeping it in a big pot and bring it in the car port over winter. I did see Jasmine officinale in a logee's catalog that is hardy to zone 6 (in a sheltered spot) . I can't say anything about the scent but Im sure theres a DGer around here that has it.
Anyhoo its getting late off to bed I go!
Caren

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Karen!!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Its a "C" Bluespiral will come a calling with a "K" LOL!!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Julie,
You said you had 2 varieties of jasmine. You mentioned Jasminum polyanthum what is the other?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I completely forgot about Cestrum elegans Smithii I got these mail order earlier in spring. They are doing well but no flowers yet. Anyone have this one? I would love to know if its fragrant. I bought it because I just love pink but fragrance would be a good thing too. Any how I really have to go now I can barely see now.
Caren

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Caren - sorry 'bout that K vrs. C thing...LOL Must have had Karen on my mind!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ive had her on my mind too she hasnt been posting much at least in the usual places. I hope she is well!
Caren

Modi'in, Israel

I'm glad you all agree! LOL!

Sorry I forgot to say what the other Jasmine was. I have Jasminum sambac. I'm a bit confused how so many non-Jasminum species are listed as Jasmines though. I stick to the botanical names because otherwise I get really confused ROTFL!

I'm not really sure if we have stephanotis here or not. I haven't heard the name before though. I'll have to look it up.

The other really lovely scented vine I love is Honeysuckle.....but I know it's a love it or hate it thing since so many varieites are invasive. It's one of my most cherished memories from my childhood though, so I could never say anything bad about it: honeysuckle growing outside my bedroom window and the lovely scent floating around my room as I woke up on spring and summer mornings :-)

-Julie

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree Julie, honeysuckle is a good one-if only it could be controlled easier. I love going outside in the morning early and smelling it. It's like summer is here message to my nose!
I don't all the plants with jasmine in them that are not jasmines either. Name appeal, I guess to help sell the plant.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Ah,, jasmine,, and love that honeysuckle too...if it is down the road... wild honeysuckle azalea is wonderful smelling too..

I have a star Jasmond. It has tiny white flowers on it and smells heavenly. It's not an overpowering smell, though. Is anyone familiar with it? It was absolutely beautiful last year, but I didn't trim it back in time this year. Will know better next time. :)
~Elaine~

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55230/index.html
Star and Confederate Jasmine are the same plant dif name.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Caren, if it smells like cotton candy, I'll bet you have Podranea, not pandorea. They look sooooooooo much alike and both of mine are flowering now. Podranea smells just like cotton candy if you sniff the flowers.
I have something in my garden that smells like raspberries and I can't figure it out. I have night blooming jasmine, maid of orleans and grand duke jasmine, stephanotis and the podranea blooming in that area. Oh, and some 4 o'clocks that are blooming. It is only in the evenings that I can smell it.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Cala,
Do you have Reseda? It is said to smell like raspberrys? If I could get mine to bloom I could tell you for sure.

You are sooo right about the Podranea vs Pandorea The place I got it is well known for mislabeling their plants. Podranea is what I have the folage is the same. LOL! Ive never taken the time to look. Shame on me for assuming it was right. Ive always wondered why people said it isnt fragrant when mine so clearly is. Now you have sent me seed for one of them and I got some seed from someone else too. Which did you send me cause Im sure I have them both labeled as Pandorea.

I planted reseda, but it's very tiny still and not blooming. That's what I thought of when I smelled the raspberry fragrance.
I sent pandorea seeds, not fragrant. The podranea hasn't made seeds yet. They need to change one of those names, lol, they're too confusing. Especially when the plants look so much alike!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I thought I was getting the fragrant one :( Oh well its still a very pretty plant!! at least I have them labeled right lol! I will look for seeds when mine is finished blooming. I don't think a saw any last year. It was just a 1gal size.I don't know if that makes any diffrence.

Maybe the raspberry scent is a mix of the plants in the area?? If you find it let me know cause I want one!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I really love the smell of jasmine. Is there any variety that you know of that can be grown in zone 6? I would even be willing to put it in a huge pot, and overwinter, if I could grow it. I tried a Carolina Jasmine several years ago, and insulated it well for the winter, but it didn't survive.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hopefully what I researched last fall was correct. The only one that was cold hardy was the Confederate Jasmine - I only know to 7A though...not sure if it is to 6.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Aww, rats. I would love to be able to have this.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

They were carrying these at our Walmarts - do you have one close by?

Jasmine sambac is easy to overwinter. Just bring it in where it won't freeze and water it just enough to keep it alive. In the spring, do some pruning and clean-up and put it back out. They're pretty cold tolerant, can even take 26 degrees for a few hours. They have a long flowering period, smell wonderful and you can root it easily by pinning the vines to the ground at a node.

Brooklyn, NY

what about jasminum officianalis? Anyone grow this? It didn't flower last year, but this year its getting off to a running start. Is it fragrant?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Calalily,
Someone else I'd read mentioned "pinning" a vining plant to the ground to root. Goofy question...but what do you use to secure it?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I use a paper clip to pin it to the ground and then put rocks on it. If the vine has a strong stem---make a small cut first and then put soil on and then put a heavy rock on it.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

i bought a jasmine tree and it didn't have any information with it. I'm sure I have to bring it in in the winter, but can anyone give me more information? I can't find a jasmine tree in the plant files.

How big? How long does it bloom? Full sun?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

lovetropics - great idea!!!
IsThisHeaven - you'll get more responses if you post that as a new thread...wish I could help but I've never heard of a Jasmine Tree...lucky you!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love jasmine and have several varieties of jasmine in my yard. My goal is to have 'year round fragrance' in my yard.Luckily, jasmines don't seem to mind our dry HEAT!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I just love the jasmines. I have had the pink jasmine for many years, (neighbor has confederate so get to smell that one too) so when I took the decks out this Spring and added flowerbeds and arbors, it gave me a chance to plant more. I have added J. Sambac 'Maid of Orleans', J. Nitidium Angelwing, and a Wrightia Religiosa 'Flora Plena'. I can hardly wait to get blooms, the smell should really be something! :~)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm so jealous of you all that can grow various types of it!! As far as I know confederate is the only one hardy to our area...so sad.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chantell--there is 'fragrant gladiolus' which blooms in spring and has fragrance like plumeria. You may be able to grow them in your zone. Also chinese rice flower plant can be indoors I think in your zone and does perfume the area.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm? I think I'm going to have to go in search of those....they sound wonderful!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chantell,
there are also 'double daffodils' which are a cross between daffodils and narcissus and their fragrance is just like jasmines.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

lovetropics - I think I have those. See pic below and tell me if they're it, please. These did smell wonderful.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chantell,
NO. the one I have in mind looks like a small rose. Looks like the flower of jasmine-grand duke.It is pure white. I can't locate my picture to post.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...I'll be on the search for those to plant, for sure! They sound beautiful...both in site and scent!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.