Labeling?

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Teresa,
The labels come in different colors. I got black letters on white background. And that covers the penned names, or what's left of mine that you can see..lol. Go to www.EcomOfficeSupplies.com and see all the choices. There is a co-op going on right now also on the labels at Ecom Office Supplies.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, I want to buy a P-Touch labeler, but am looking for information on "best models" for creating garden labels. If you know of threads that have reviews of the different models, can you point me to them?

Alternatively, can you recommend your favorite setup - p-touch machine, tape, and metal stake markers???

Thank you!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Eon metal markers and any p-touch; just depends on what you want to spend; they all work; go into a store and look at them to pick.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

a note on p-touch labelers.................from what i have heard you use less tape if you fill the machine with separate labels and THEN you print. what i mean is that different labelers have different memory............i bought the 2700 i think. it has a memory of something like 90 labels. that means i can type in 90 different labels and then print. after they print you take the scissors and cut between the labels saving more tape than if you print them one at a time as then you will have blank tape on each side of the label.

mamajack,
that's exactly what I do; I couldn't stand the waste.

But some of them you can set up to do it for you - believe Wanda calls it chain - printing.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Twinlakes, I've stood in the store aisle looking at box labels, but I'd prefer to hear from people who have experience using them.

From what I have read it sounds as though the 2700 or the 2710 are the preferred models(?).

Mamajack, I really like that memory function. Thanks for the tip on tape.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks for the tip... I didn't know that either... the one I use at work is really good but boy I have been so mad because of having to cut extra tape to make things fit!!!!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

the man at econ office supply, the co-op that is ongoing until the end of the year.........will sell you a machine and the tape. i think i bought my machine for around 90.00 at fry's electronics. he sells his for 95.00 i think but no tax so it's about the same.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I got mine for about $40. at Office Max last year

MollyD

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

mamajack, mollyd1953, what models numbers did you get?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I have the 1280. I think it's their most basic or close to it

MollyD

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i got the 2700 because i get iris in 100 or so at the time and i felt that this one would save me in the long run. i have yet to use it as i am challenged with most of technology. but my 13 yr. old daughter was making labels 5 min. after she opened the box without reading the directions. lol.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Remember that there is an Ecom co-op so if you find one you like you can get a discount on it.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I just got a PT-1950 for 38 dollars off amazon (it was listed as new, but was over on the right hand side with the used and refurbished items, not on the main page) It came in the mail yesterday and looks perfect. It's good points are that it hooks up to the computer and has a power plug- bad points are that it didn't come with a USB cord and can't take tapes that are larger than 3/4 wide. Here is a link to help:
http://www.advizia.com/brother/Advisor.asp?User=ptouch&Rnd=658
I am going to order tapes off the Ecom co-op, though. I just couldn't afford a new one and was looking for a used one.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Great info., Hyblaen! I'm asking these questions because I want to order from the co-op as well. It sounds like memory and USB are key functions.

How about particular tape? Is there some that holds up to sun and the elements better than others?

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

This is my first day with it, so I'm no help there, but Molly said there was a thread on the merits of different labeling styles, in the archives. I just didn't find it when I went digging. (Instead I found other threads to read for 2 hours ;) I hope you get lots of responses. I settled on the industrial white ink on clear tape, but would be happy to change my mind w/ new info.

On another thread someone mentioned a P-Touch 2100 as being a good one.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I can't even figure out how to search for a thread so I'm no help there. I remember the thread (sometime this past winter) happened when we were getting our markers and sheet label co-ops in.

MollyD

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 11:33 AM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry for the silence. It's been kind of crazy here getting ready for winter in what little spare sunlight I have left after work. IF I have the energy left. Weekend trips have sucked up time too.

Kassia--How many cultivars do I have? Thinned down to 316 daylily clumps, 331 bearded iris clumps, 26 Japanese & Siberian iris, 162 lilies + 30 more coming. I also grow over 100 different perennials, but I don't mark them.

Labeling is the only way I can remember where everything is, since I like to re-arrange for color or height or design.

I used to have 450 daylilies, but I dug up alot of them that were too similiar to each other. After a summer spent with daylily hybridizers, I began looking critically at my daylilies. Daylilies that had low bud count, looked sickly all summer or were not inspiring. And I sent South daylilies that did not adapt well to Iowa's climate or bloom properly after 4 summers of waiting.

A garden is always evolving.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

You AND your garden are amazing, Wanda.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

Wanda
do the "industrial strength ptouch labels" have a code number/order number ?
judy

I'll look at my cartridge at home. I'm sure there is a number on them, but the package clearly says "industrial strength adhesive" on it in my local store. Cheaper online or if you have a friend who orders company supplies. ;)

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm trying to decide between a Brother PT-2600 and a PT-2700
does anyone have an opionion or advice for me?
Thanks
Judy

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i have the 2700. don't know about the 2600. i bought mine because it will store up to 90 something names before you have to print and this saves on tape.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

mamjack
does it print in color ?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Not really, The tapes come with a preset color of tape and ink. I have printed black and white pictures on mine but no color.

Mamajack.. you sound like a pro now! I remembe when you were searching for a labeler yourself.. Tell me how to store cause I just chain print mine as I type them up

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

not true jazzpunkin but i do know more than i did back then. in fact i have never even used my machine. i am still waiting to buy the tapes on the co-op here at daves. but the day i brought my machine home my 13 yr. old daughter took it out of the box and promptly made a label. lol. she never read directions or anything. so i am not stressed any more about learning how to do it.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I am debating about what to buy!!!!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i bought the one i did because i get 100's of plants a year. it saves on tape to enter 90 something names and then print rather than to print one name at a time. there are some that print more than one name at a time but not in the 90 range. for me it depended on how many names i could enter before i had to print. also, i think this model can be used with the computer. not that i know how but if i ever learn it might be fun.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I think the 2600 is discontinued, if that matters? Brother only has refurbished ones on their website.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hmm.. Did you check the Ecom Label site?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

That's actually why I ended up at Brother. I didn't see it on Ecom. I bought the 2700 this year but didn't know about the 2600 that also takes the Avery labels, so I looked it up just to see if I should've gotten that one instead....I'm sure that they are probably still available someplace, but I'm not looking any further. I do like the 2700 that I bought. One good thing- the refurbs from Brother are only $50...

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

oh.. maybe they did phase it out then.. I got my 2700 off of ebay..

Mine only prints one label at a time, but I go into "Margins" and click on the "Chainprint" option. I can print a "chain" of labels--like you see in the top photo of this thread--with only 1/2 inch between printing.

Oh! I had a nightmare last night. A DGer came to my garden for a visit during my Fall garden clean up. She helpfully pulled up all the garden stakes and handed me apile of 100 or so from the various beds! EEK! In my nightmare, I was explaining that it could take me 2-3 years to get them all back in place since I only knew what huge bed they were in, but had no map! And that digging lilies would be impossible this fall because the stalks were gone and I didn't know where it was safe to dig!

Labeling nightmare???

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh my!! That is a nightmare!!! Better go get that map done now!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Ok. I got my labeler ... called the ECOM office supplies... really nice guy answered the phone! and got labels too... now I am ready for winter... lol.... labels and labels to make...

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Kewl!! did you tell em you were from Dave's Garden?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

yes!!!! and they gave me the discount!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

WOOHOO!!! great!!

LOL The power of the consumer masses...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.