Labeling?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My labels are just as clean as the day I printed them! No crawling on my knees thru the beds darkening my plant names. Wonderful! The yellow ones have lost some color, but NONE of them have come loose or illegible. Well worth the effort of time & $$.

Now, I take out the machine & get my labels made before I even plant new acquistions. I think the hardest thing is to peel off the labels if you want to re-use a stake. The darn things are tough. Industrial quality labels.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

wanda, you state "industrial quality". you just bought the regular tz tapes, right? not the commercial grade?

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Does anyone know if there will be a Co-op for the metal tags this fall? or tape & labelers for that matter

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh I would love if that happens!!!!

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I bought some last year through 9kittymom's coop, but have used all those up, and then some. I hope she is doing one this year, too. I suppose i could just email her- duh? :) I'll go do that..

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks!!!! that will be really great!!!!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I bought the metal markers and P-Touch tapes through the co-ops but decided to set them aside and try something different.

Bought the sheets of address labels that are waterproof; the ones for the laser printer are made of polyester or some material and the ones for the ink-jet are plastic. Used them to make markers for the tomato plants this summer. They faded so I bought some spray acrylic with UV protectant in it and here are my lily labels patiently waiting for the lily bulbs to get here.
There is an identical label on the back side and I also made a map of the garden just in case.

If these work, they will be much less money than P-Touch. But P-Touch does last forever. I just liked that I could get more information on them.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Those look really nice.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Those do look very nice TwinLakesChef. I always spray mine with acrylic since I lost the pictures on the first ones I did. The print was fine. They've been out there all summer and look just like when I made them.

MollyD

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

the co-op on the tz tapes is ongoing until the end of the year. you can find it under the co-op section.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I use the industrial strength Ptouch labels. My iris/daylilies/lilies stay in the same place for years & I need them readable. It would be differnt if I were dealing with planting yearly veggies.

I am also an iris display garden for the Historical Iris Preservation Society, so I need name as well as hybridizer & year on the stakes. Paying a few cents more enables me to save an incredible amount of time in the beds.

I also keep databases with names for the large garden sections. It helps me narrow down the search area for one of my cultivars. My beds are from 7 foot to 20 foot deep and 20 foot to 60 foot long. It is easy to "misremember" a bl;oom's location.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh my goodness... how many cultivars you have????

oh I am so worried about the japanese irises I just planted... I heard they need to be in a bog... I planted them in a not so wet area.... should I move them???

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

They don't have to be in a bog. Mine are in with all my other flowerbeds and they do just fine. I just water them a bit more right before and during flowering.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh great!!!!! I can do that... being a newbee I am so worried I am killing the poor plants...

I just ordered my new markers... oh my garden is going to look so nice!!!!! and I will do the labels ... I love things really neat... I am getting a p-touch.... I have one at work and I love this thing!!!

The P-Touch is definitely the sturdiest; have never had one fade and I don't even buy the industrial version. I find labels in my garden that are 5 years old ~ lost the plant ~ but the label is still there. Ha Ha

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

:( I am still using nursery pens that are fading away.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL.... well, at least you can just re-use the marker!!!!!

I am going to get the cheapestP-touch one... I have a Dyno small one.. I need 2 lines...

sooooo glad I found this thread!!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

TwinLake, I will be in Sebastopol CA on 9/24th... I am so excited!!!!!

Kassia,

I will be in Orange County 9/17 - 9/25 . . . will just miss you!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Okay, I finally took the plunge after rereading these posts about the PTouch. I bought the PT 1750 for $47.50. That included an AC adapter and one tape. This was from www.EcomOfficeSupplies.com. I bought extra tapes for $14.05 (the industrial kind). I love it. So easy to use. I am only going to replace those markers that have faded completely for now. During the winter evenings, I will print out the rest and attach them in the spring.

Bluegrassmom, you need to think about a PTouch!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I have tons of work for winter... labels and tags for everything I am changing every single one... winter it's not going to be long enough...lol!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Floweringchild, did you go through the co-op here?http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/712071/

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

No, darn it. I didn't know about the co-op when I ordered them. I just ordered this past Monday and received them Thursday. I haven't been on DG lately because of some health problems. I just happened to read this morning about the co-op. DARN DARN DOUBLE DARN!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Do you think they might refund you some money if you tell them you belong to DG?

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

I am thinking about ordering more tapes because I know I will need them. So when I call, I will mention DG and see. It can't hurt to try. That's a savings of $3 on each tape and I already bought 5.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Just tell em that you are with teh DG co-op

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Which labeler do you have Jazz? I can't decide on which one to get...

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a PT-2700/2710 It takes the one inch tapes which I really like. And it hooks up to the computer which makes formating the tapes easier I think. That way I can save my labels so if I need another or lose one it's easy to remake it

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

That is a good point about being able to save them for later, infinitely more practical considering they are outside and subject to animals and elements. Ok, I'll invest in that one. Expensive suckers!! Worthwhile, considering... but ouch. The coop for markers is actually on, if you need more of those. My garden will be organized by spring :D (yeah, right)

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

:D I'm getting it for my B-day!! Now I don't even have to feel guilty about it!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Awesome!!! That rocks.. Yes it does pinch a bit at first but when you consider that they last a long time and don't fade out it makes it worthwhile. I actually double mark mine. I have the markers with the labels and all the info and then I have a rock with just the name for pretty

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm just looking forward to being able to take a picture of the label and then one of the plant so I don't have to remember what order I took them in! I like the rock idea. Where were you able to find that many decent sized ones?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

well, There is a place in town that sells rocks for landscaping and patios and such and they have a whole bunch of large river rocks. THe guy let me go through and fin ones that are flat enough to write on. A five gallon bucket cost me about $3.00. I have to go back because I am out..lol

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Jazz- how do you mark your rocks?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have used calligraphy pens, Model oil paint pens and lately got some oil based sharpies at the local craft store. I don't seal them but maybe I should? I have had the best results with the model pens and the sharpies

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I love the idea of using organic shapes as markers! It's just more aesthetically pleasing. My yard is probably going to look like I'm growing metal stakes instead of flowers by the time I finish :/ Hoping the 6" markers look less 'there'.
and to get them for 3 bucks- go you!!! :D

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

THanks.. I like having the metal markers, I just push them down low since they are there for my benefit..and for the occasional visitor who cares. That way there is less heaving and driveby dog removal

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

good Lord, jazz, rocks are the latest "plants" or maybe status symbols for around here and they are going for top dollar. 3.00 a bucket........wow! next year all you folks with cheap rocks ought to do a little plant trading with rocks. lol. i always amuse myself so much with these cockamamy ideas. lol.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Send all that you could get into a flat rate box. Don't you know the postmaster would just love delivering that one! A box of rocks LOL.

I have a question. Do you think these labels would cover up my nursery pen names or would they show thru? Are the labels clear or white background?
Teresa

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hmmm a box full of rocks.. where have I heard that before :)

Once in a distant land long long ago a young girl recieved a flat rate box full of rocks from a kind lady.... hmm where IS Pirl anyway??

Teresa, The labels come in a variety of colors. including white backgrounds. I know my Dad just puts his new ones right over the old ones

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.